As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Wednesday, May 9, 2012 - Condensation

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    There's something creepy about Gabe's hands in the second panel. They look like the hands of an evil old dude about to strangle a hero.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    This is Good Comic™.

And that horse is doing the work of twelve men![/Luddite]

• jambojambo AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Penny Arcade is finally Retina ready?!

Great comic btw

lMX1i.jpg
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Oh, Tycho. So eager.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    215509631_GTT2K-L-2.jpg

He finally gets it! :P

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Faceless CowardFaceless Coward Registered User regular
    Is the high resolution of this comic meta-commentary to tell people with small monitors to get with the times and fuck their horse?

Or the web site?

newsigpa4xj.jpg
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Beat me to it, Behemoth. First thing that came to mind.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Cthulhu CalamariCthulhu Calamari Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is the high resolution of this comic meta-commentary to tell people with small monitors to get with the times and fuck their horse?

Or the web site?

Ditto. Until I saw the whole comic at the top of this forum thread I was worried that I just wasn't getting some kind of joke involving it being chopped off part way into the last panel.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "Fuck horses" to be the new slogan on this issue.

• Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    I look forward to the day when these redundant brick and mortar software repositories fueled by pain and deception become a forgotten relic. Their vile swindling masters laid low to fester in the gutters like the sewer rats they are.

Also the day when horse fucking is made legal. Those supple gluteal muscles that beg to be groped and the pressure they undoubtedly give to the beast's smooth crevices of.....

Perhaps I have said too much.

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Unfortunately there's a lot of places where fast internet isn't available which will keep the B&Ms relevant. I could see the next generation of consoles not shipping with optical discs but they'd need a way to not lock out a big chunk of customers. Maybe optional external blu ray drive. Maybe kiosks set up in stores that can load a game or two onto a memory stick.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    this strip looks exquisite on my ipad 3
    also: funny

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Ah, there we go. The comic shows up normally now, not as an enlarged image which is cut off somewhere around the third panel. It was all fucked up earlier today.

• SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular

Or the web site?

Ditto. Until I saw the whole comic at the top of this forum thread I was worried that I just wasn't getting some kind of joke involving it being chopped off part way into the last panel.

They are continuing to leverage the highest digital resomolutions.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    best analogy ever.

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Unfortunately I disagree with this one. I am one who pre-ordered Diablo 3 from Gamestop and will be there eager to accept it at 12:01 am on the 15th. Call me old fashioned, but I want to own the box of this game. I didn't spring for the Collector's Edition, but I like to own every Blizzard game in physical form.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »
    Unfortunately I disagree with this one. I am one who pre-ordered Diablo 3 from Gamestop and will be there eager to accept it at 12:01 am on the 15th. Call me old fashioned, but I want to own the box of this game. I didn't spring for the Collector's Edition, but I like to own every Blizzard game in physical form.

I think that's exactly what the horse analogy is doing.

You horse-lover.

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    I do love horses.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• senusretsenusret Registered User new member
    As a proud future owner of a Diablo 3 collector's edition, I hereby declare myself a horse-lover.
    KalTorak wrote: »

You horse-lover.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    senusret wrote: »
    As a proud future owner of a Diablo 3 collector's edition, I hereby declare myself a horse-lover.
    KalTorak wrote: »

You horse-lover.

Slap me into that Horse Lovin' group of hippies. For I too have pre-purchased a CE.

• SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    boxes take up space that I don't really have available. digital libraries are the best.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    boxes take up space that I don't really have available. digital libraries are the best.
    I guess I'll toss my self into the horse lovin' Luddite collective. I like having a box and the stuff that's packed into the box. I didn't get the CE, but I'm still picking up the boxed version.

Seeing a stack of boxes for games that I own is a constant reminder that I have games that I can play, and maybe I'd be better off spending that 60 dollars on something more productive. Having a hard drive stuffed full of downloaded games just doesn't have that same effect.

Kind of the same way I feel about my bookshelves vs. my Kindle. I know the kindle is better in nearly every way, it's smaller and lighter then a hard cover book, it can hold hundreds of books in the space of a single paper back. But I still love spending an hour wandering through a book store until something catches my eye. And I love having a book collection (at least until it's time to move...).

edited May 2012
    Having 20 games in my backlog on Steam reminds me that I have games I can play.
    Those PC games I have boxes for are just sitting on a shelf, gathering dust, nearly forgotten.

For some reason I vastly prefer physical books to reading on my phone, and I still like having a physical book shelf.

This is kinda weird.

Ivar on
  • JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Ivar wrote: »
    Although for some weird reason I vastly prefer physical books to reading on my phone.

I tried reading on the iPhone, too, and it was just terrible. I, however, would not give up my kindle for anything. I think it's the screen size coupled with the fact that the kindle isn't back-lit. So I'd suggest trying out a kindle if you ever get a chance. You might like it.

edited May 2012
    I've been reading a bit on my phone, a HTC Sensation XL. It works, but it's not quite the same. Haven't tried anything larger than that for electronic book-reading.

Ivar on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The comic isn't saying "boxes are stupid," it's saying "if you want a box that's fine but don't make people who download the game wait around for you." And boxes are bad for the environment. Save a tree: download your game!

• RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Favorite comic in a while. I love Tycho's "leaning in from out of panel" look.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    This sorta reminds me about the Portal 2 promotion to "make the game come out earlier on steam" which only surmounted to it being released maybe 5 hours early, and yet resulted in brick and mortar stores immediately slashing the price of the hard copy by like 20 bucks. Now of course, console editions were involved and the game didn't require an always on internet connection, but I presume the situation might still be similar. The adoption of DD for PC seems much larger, but maybe we're still not at the point where we can shun synchronized releases yet.

Also, you'd think gabe would have been done with fucking horses after the stable situation.

PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    "Fuck horses" to be the new slogan on this issue.
    <obscurePApodcastref> No human being should be exposed to language like this.</obscurePApodcastref>

While I haven't actually done it in ages, I totally recognize the power of getting your hands on a box copy of a pined-for game at midnight. I wonder if allowing digital purchasers to download sooner would effect a serious blow to that practice? It certainly wouldn't be the same if only like a dozen guys showed up.

• RhahRhah Registered User regular
    Ivar wrote: »
    Although for some weird reason I vastly prefer physical books to reading on my phone.

I tried reading on the iPhone, too, and it was just terrible. I, however, would not give up my kindle for anything. I think it's the screen size coupled with the fact that the kindle isn't back-lit. So I'd suggest trying out a kindle if you ever get a chance. You might like it.

E-ink is like manna from heaven. Backlit back country bumpkins will never understand.

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    ...did this comic cause anyone else to go start downloading their copy of D3?

Cause I know that's what this guy's doing right now

Also, yes, I think I can get behind this "fuck horses" slogan. I would buy a shirt with a short version of this comic's core thought on it!

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Tycho sneaking in on the last panel is win.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    OK, let's say we remove physical copies entirely; there's still an argument to be made about having a set "release date" for a game while letting people download the game in advance but not play it.

If the day it was playable was the same day as it was available for download, the download servers would likely be overloaded as people rushed to download it and play it as fast as possible. Allowing people to download it in advance of the launch date dilutes the demand on the download server over a longer period of time, and people get to play it immediately at launch, instead of having to wait for the download after launch.

So even if physical releases disappear completely, the practice of having a game on your harddrive that you can't play yet may to occur.
    InXplotch wrote: »
    This sorta reminds me about the Portal 2 promotion to "make the game come out earlier on steam" which only surmounted to it being released maybe 5 hours early, and yet resulted in brick and mortar stores immediately slashing the price of the hard copy by like 20 bucks.
    I don't get it; was the discounted price supposed to punish Valve? Because the way retail media sales typically work, Valve gets the same amount no matter what the retailer prices it at, and the retailer would have to eat any cost if they price the product below wholesale

• OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    I won't step foot in a brick-and-mortar moneytrap unless it involves a collectors edition that I want and can't acquire any other way. Hell, I even do most of my console shopping online where I can get better deals, and even when I think about it, the last 5 games I got on my PS3 involved the digital store.
    Fuck horses, indeed. Ponies are much more deserving of our praise.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    tumblr_m3rkipyujG1r4ajvvo1_1280.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    We're not supposed to do comic edits in here, but goddamn did that make me laugh.

• Saint_DipsetSaint_Dipset Registered User regular
    Giant comic tricked my brain into thinking I was reading an old sunday calvin and hobbes, and my heart skipped a beat and I got a huge rush of dopamine. Now I'm addicted to morphine. Thanks, PA.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RogerNRogerN Registered User new member
    The nice thing about retail games is that the boxed version usually drops in price before the digital download, so cheapskates like me can play sooner. They gotta clear up shelf space for new boxes about to be released!

I actually bought SC2 boxed on release day and ended up regretting it. Normally I would love going through all the stuff in the box... but in this case the box was practically empty. There was the install DVD, a coupon for a free month of WoW, and an SC2-branded notepad. Not even a colorful instruction booklet to leaf through :(

• qang007qang007 Registered User new member
    Ok, I just created a forum account so I could post this. I was reading the last panel and I really did think that Tycho was grabbing his jacket to go stand in line at the midnight release. But I forward this comic to a friend and the first thing he said was NSFW, beastiality. I was like, what? but then I read the comic again. If Gabe says "Fuck horses" and the first thing Tycho answers back is "Amen brother. Let me get my jacket.", I can see where the beastiality thing comes into play. Good times.