Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

We don't actually build or mine anymore, we just play with cats all day. Minecraft!

19192949697100

Posts

  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Drunk town should only allow buildings to be built at a 90 degree angle, or upside down.

    steam_sig.png

  • Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Change the map in like a month so I can join in

    I am tired of building in the cold wilderness

    There are other biomes you know

  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Hey, I just bought a Minecraft server

    and I'd like to set up Tekkit on it

    but I have no idea how, could someone please help?

    hahaHAHAHA @Moriveth what are you doing?! We should collect your posts to chart your descent into madness

  • MorivethMoriveth Nobody suspects a thing... Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Hey, I just bought a Minecraft server

    and I'd like to set up Tekkit on it

    but I have no idea how, could someone please help?

    hahaHAHAHA @Moriveth what are you doing?! We should collect your posts to chart your descent into madness

    I actually ended up not going with Tekkit and will instead be just running Vanilla

    When I wanna run a Tekkit server I'll probably just run it on my own PC.

  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Hey, I just bought a Minecraft server

    and I'd like to set up Tekkit on it

    but I have no idea how, could someone please help?

    hahaHAHAHA @Moriveth what are you doing?! We should collect your posts to chart your descent into madness

    I actually ended up not going with Tekkit and will instead be just running Vanilla

    When I wanna run a Tekkit server I'll probably just run it on my own PC.

    Just.

    Just remember your wife and child love you

  • JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Drunk town should only allow buildings to be built at a 90 degree angle, or upside down.

    That gave me a lovely idea, now that we have upsidedown stairs...
    mc_escher_relativity_original.jpg

  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Turns out I hadn't verified my Youtube account so need to reupload, welp.

    facebook.pngsteam.pngyoutube.pngtwitter.png
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    doktorjake wrote: »
    3) I think that even though it would be difficult, all the tools are there to make legitrail systems without MCM. I know that people love MCM, but we CAN do vanilla, so lets do it.

    Vanilla rail routers are pretty simple and straightforward, but we have enough trouble getting people to use MCM correctly, plus vanilla rails are massive gold hogs. I would heartily endorse it for a spawntown subway/monorail/light rail system or a nether-based rail system, but it would be a bitch to recreate our current massive transcontinental model without MCM.

    I mean this is my 6-destination router, its a lot more trouble than a sign under a brick block.
    20120509235001.png

  • Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    Shouldn't need to be near that large, but going uphill does take a good pile of gold. Switches would still need a lot more space than the MCM version though, and would probably require stops at substations for distant switches.

  • JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    I for one fully support the continued use of MCM. It's much easier and less resource intensive. And, after 5 minutes of reading you should be able to make your own rails.
    I would practically never use rails if it weren't for MCM.

  • eldercoreeldercore Registered User regular
    all of the reasons i am hearing for moving to a new map can be resolved with our current map.

    but most of them seem to just be people who lack motivation - and a new map is a poor band-aid fix for that.

  • The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dis' wrote: »
    doktorjake wrote: »
    3) I think that even though it would be difficult, all the tools are there to make legitrail systems without MCM. I know that people love MCM, but we CAN do vanilla, so lets do it.

    Vanilla rail routers are pretty simple and straightforward, but we have enough trouble getting people to use MCM correctly, plus vanilla rails are massive gold hogs. I would heartily endorse it for a spawntown subway/monorail/light rail system or a nether-based rail system, but it would be a bitch to recreate our current massive transcontinental model without MCM.

    I mean this is my 6-destination router, its a lot more trouble than a sign under a brick block.
    20120509235001.png

    I just want to point out that this is Fluff saying this, who is a) the best person I have ever met when it comes to redstone and b) a HUGE vanilla rail partisan. As much as I would love to be able to drop updating MCM from my list o' things to do, I don't see our server managing vanilla rails too well as a primary routing choice.

    The Good Doctor Tran on
    LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Space is the Place Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    doktorjake wrote: »
    3) I think that even though it would be difficult, all the tools are there to make legitrail systems without MCM. I know that people love MCM, but we CAN do vanilla, so lets do it.

    Vanilla rail routers are pretty simple and straightforward, but we have enough trouble getting people to use MCM correctly, plus vanilla rails are massive gold hogs. I would heartily endorse it for a spawntown subway/monorail/light rail system or a nether-based rail system, but it would be a bitch to recreate our current massive transcontinental model without MCM.

    I mean this is my 6-destination router, its a lot more trouble than a sign under a brick block.
    20120509235001.png

    it's not like we use gold for anything else

  • intropintrop Registered User regular
    eldercore wrote: »
    all of the reasons i am hearing for moving to a new map can be resolved with our current map.

    but most of them seem to just be people who lack motivation - and a new map is a poor band-aid fix for that.

    As a general sort of newmap person, I can assure you that my reasons have nothing to do with motivation.

  • Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    doktorjake wrote: »
    3) I think that even though it would be difficult, all the tools are there to make legitrail systems without MCM. I know that people love MCM, but we CAN do vanilla, so lets do it.

    Vanilla rail routers are pretty simple and straightforward, but we have enough trouble getting people to use MCM correctly, plus vanilla rails are massive gold hogs. I would heartily endorse it for a spawntown subway/monorail/light rail system or a nether-based rail system, but it would be a bitch to recreate our current massive transcontinental model without MCM.

    I mean this is my 6-destination router, its a lot more trouble than a sign under a brick block.
    20120509235001.png

    I just want to point out that this is Fluff saying this, who is a) the best person I have ever met when it comes to redstone and b) a HUGE vanilla rail partisan. As much as I would love to be able to drop updating MCM from my list o' things to do, I don't see our server managing vanilla rails too well as a primary routing choice.

    I'm guessing that there is more going on there than just sending you off in one of six directions. There seems to be a couple more lines headed out the NE and NW on top, plus what looks like a stop. Is it fully automated for unoccupied carts, or for handling more than one person going through at a time?

  • apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    holy god the fez texture pack

    it's so cool

    gonna play the fez soundtrack while i play too

  • Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    Fluff posted a map he made a while back if you're interested:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75482651/Trams2.zip

    I see - it is part of a much larger complex system. I always went for the most compact stations & switches that I could, while this looks a bit more Victorian I guess? Very large and complex but very elegant. My version would be rather boring but small by comparison. Still much larger than a couple signs below the track though :P

    I can understand why Fluff would be an advocate of vanilla - its fun designing stuff like that. I remember some people were very upset when the minecart powered boosters were "fixed" and power rails were introduced, because they had built some incredible amazing stations with empty carts going around behind the scenes to build up a superboost before heading out and sending someone off then resetting themselves. Having it all replaced with a power rail and a button made a couple of people from one server I was on lose interest in the game.

  • The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Fluff posted a map he made a while back if you're interested:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75482651/Trams2.zip

    I see - it is part of a much larger complex system. I always went for the most compact stations & switches that I could, while this looks a bit more Victorian I guess? Very large and complex but very elegant. My version would be rather boring but small by comparison. Still much larger than a couple signs below the track though :P

    I can understand why Fluff would be an advocate of vanilla - its fun designing stuff like that. I remember some people were very upset when the minecart powered boosters were "fixed" and power rails were introduced, because they had built some incredible amazing stations with empty carts going around behind the scenes to build up a superboost before heading out and sending someone off then resetting themselves. Having it all replaced with a power rail and a button made a couple of people from one server I was on lose interest in the game.

    I'm actually a bit of an old-school partisan myself, I adored the original booster designs and stations, but I've come to accept that the amount of debugging that others would request from people like you and Fluff and I would be an irritation and even then our sacrifice would be insufficient to surmount the obstacle of getting a basic municipal rail system going.

    LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • dargondarkfiredargondarkfire Registered User regular
    Fluff posted a map he made a while back if you're interested:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75482651/Trams2.zip

    I see - it is part of a much larger complex system. I always went for the most compact stations & switches that I could, while this looks a bit more Victorian I guess? Very large and complex but very elegant. My version would be rather boring but small by comparison. Still much larger than a couple signs below the track though :P

    I can understand why Fluff would be an advocate of vanilla - its fun designing stuff like that. I remember some people were very upset when the minecart powered boosters were "fixed" and power rails were introduced, because they had built some incredible amazing stations with empty carts going around behind the scenes to build up a superboost before heading out and sending someone off then resetting themselves. Having it all replaced with a power rail and a button made a couple of people from one server I was on lose interest in the game.

    I'm actually a bit of an old-school partisan myself, I adored the original booster designs and stations, but I've come to accept that the amount of debugging that others would request from people like you and Fluff and I would be an irritation and even then our sacrifice would be insufficient to surmount the obstacle of getting a basic municipal rail system going.

    i.... am just imagining the horror it would be to add new stations to this a vanilla red stone system.

  • doktorjakedoktorjake Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dis' wrote: »
    Spoiler:


    while several routers exist that can direct traffic to various other directions, you appear to have developed a router that also cooks breakfast, in addition to doing my math homework.

    I think that routers can be made much simpler; an impractical brainstorm idea that I had to recreate the system we currently have would be to have a mailbag-train design, where youd go straight indefinitely on the vanilla rail unless you hit a button to change the--- This would be easier to explain in a picture.



    "Yep, just goin through, no need for me to push no button"
    Spoiler:



    "Your stop? better push one of those 20 buttons, then. Good thing theres a unique sound-block alarm to let you know youre coming up on your stop"
    Spoiler:


    Bear in mind, this is a brainstorm idea, not what i propose as the solution. My point is that by cheating something difficult, we lose the opportunity to create a unique solution.

    I LOVE the brick station block. it makes possible amazing things, no denying that. If there was anything that should be kept, its that. i make the "=/" face at using bookcases, because what else are we using gold for? Elevators can be done using legit ramps unless youre doing some crazy floating island thing, where you *could* use netherportals to get to the top. obsidian blocks are the exact same thing as a gold rail, and item pickup functionality *appears* to not be used very much.

    I know that MCM dates to waaaay before my time and people have been using it forever and its quasi-tradition, but I'd like to put my bid in for using the stuff thats been implemented to minecraft since MCM was absolutely necessary. It probably won't happen, and I won't be offended cause I'm sure I'm crazy out-voted, but I'd just like to plant that seed for somewhere down the road.

    PS: is there a way that we can route to destinations without typing something? like, I bet we could mod something that could press a button to set your station to 'townstuck', for instance. THAT would be boss, and we should do that. chat-commands are my least favorite thing about MCM.

    edit: i always have to edit anything with a picture like 20 times before i figure out how to do it right, sorry.

    doktorjake on
  • doktorjakedoktorjake Registered User regular
    Also, I'm sure everyones seen it, but this:



    is what I want.

  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Welp I've put up my first video, it's unreservedly awful but this will probably improve ... probably.

    I have the face for radio and the voice for silent movies. Luckily, my wife saves the day and a kitten ruins it.

    Junpei on
    facebook.pngsteam.pngyoutube.pngtwitter.png
  • ChokeOnGlitterChokeOnGlitter Registered User regular
    Junpei wrote: »
    Welp I've put up my first video, it's unreservedly awful but this will probably improve ... probably.

    I have the face for radio and the voice for silent movies. Luckily, my wife saves the day and a kitten ruins it.


    cannnnnnn we join tht server??? I LOVE NEW BUILDS

  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Junpei wrote: »
    ...

    cannnnnnn we join tht server??? I LOVE NEW BUILDS

    Unfortunately for you but fortunately for my sanity you cannot join this server, it's local only running on a, admittedly really good, laptop sitting on a cooling unit : b

    facebook.pngsteam.pngyoutube.pngtwitter.png
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    Vanilla rails are doable, though it will make rail systems less common than they are currently, which might be a good thing to get people to group up a bit more around stations.

    Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.
    3ds Friend Code: 5043-2266-3066
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Fluff posted a map he made a while back if you're interested:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75482651/Trams2.zip

    I see - it is part of a much larger complex system. I always went for the most compact stations & switches that I could, while this looks a bit more Victorian I guess? Very large and complex but very elegant. My version would be rather boring but small by comparison. Still much larger than a couple signs below the track though :P

    I can understand why Fluff would be an advocate of vanilla - its fun designing stuff like that. I remember some people were very upset when the minecart powered boosters were "fixed" and power rails were introduced, because they had built some incredible amazing stations with empty carts going around behind the scenes to build up a superboost before heading out and sending someone off then resetting themselves. Having it all replaced with a power rail and a button made a couple of people from one server I was on lose interest in the game.

    I'm actually a bit of an old-school partisan myself, I adored the original booster designs and stations, but I've come to accept that the amount of debugging that others would request from people like you and Fluff and I would be an irritation and even then our sacrifice would be insufficient to surmount the obstacle of getting a basic municipal rail system going.

    i.... am just imagining the horror it would be to add new stations to this a vanilla red stone system.

    Oh its easy if your going to the trouble of building the stations anyway, you just need to adopt a branching tree model of stations rather than our current megahub: the spawn station connects to say 6-10 local hubs (probably by double tracks to prevent collisions), where you change tracks and go on to any of 5-9 child hubs, then go on from there. A new station simple connects to a child hub, and you only need three layers to have hundreds of destinations.
    doktorjake wrote: »
    Dis' wrote: »
    Spoiler:


    while several routers exist that can direct traffic to various other directions, you appear to have developed a router that also cooks breakfast, in addition to doing my math homework.

    I think that routers can be made much simpler; an impractical brainstorm idea that I had to recreate the system we currently have would be to have a mailbag-train design, where youd go straight indefinitely on the vanilla rail unless you hit a button to change the--- This would be easier to explain in a picture.



    "Yep, just goin through, no need for me to push no button"
    Spoiler:



    "Your stop? better push one of those 20 buttons, then. Good thing theres a unique sound-block alarm to let you know youre coming up on your stop"
    Spoiler:


    Bear in mind, this is a brainstorm idea, not what i propose as the solution. My point is that by cheating something difficult, we lose the opportunity to create a unique solution.

    I LOVE the brick station block. it makes possible amazing things, no denying that. If there was anything that should be kept, its that. i make the "=/" face at using bookcases, because what else are we using gold for? Elevators can be done using legit ramps unless youre doing some crazy floating island thing, where you *could* use netherportals to get to the top. obsidian blocks are the exact same thing as a gold rail, and item pickup functionality *appears* to not be used very much.

    I know that MCM dates to waaaay before my time and people have been using it forever and its quasi-tradition, but I'd like to put my bid in for using the stuff thats been implemented to minecraft since MCM was absolutely necessary. It probably won't happen, and I won't be offended cause I'm sure I'm crazy out-voted, but I'd just like to plant that seed for somewhere down the road.

    PS: is there a way that we can route to destinations without typing something? like, I bet we could mod something that could press a button to set your station to 'townstuck', for instance. THAT would be boss, and we should do that. chat-commands are my least favorite thing about MCM.

    edit: i always have to edit anything with a picture like 20 times before i figure out how to do it right, sorry.

    You can set up button operated MCM, since redstone power on/off is one of the states you can enter onto the control sign. Doing so isn't the best idea since the redstone controls you need makes it pretty much the equal amount of fuss to just doing the system in vanilla. Or you can use the various spawn cart and grab player options so that you press a button and get put in the right cart, but thats again a high level of complexity.

    The reason my router is complicated is to deal with issues you've overlooked in your mail carrier - in the rest state people coming the other direction will be routed to the bed. I think a better set up will be something like this:

    20120510131102.png

    Using two rail spliters so whichever direction you're incoming on it'll hold you and you press the button to continue onwards in that direction

    Dis' on
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    doktorjake wrote: »
    Also, I'm sure everyones seen it, but this:

    NEAT STATION

    is what I want.

    Seems simple enough, though it'd glitch a bit on a large server, wee bit resource intensive as well and you could do it in half the space if you multiplex the destinations.

  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    Also, was there a rollback? I lost a bunch of work from last night when I just logged in

    Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.
    3ds Friend Code: 5043-2266-3066
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    started playing this again after quitting just after the hell update, lookit all this new stuff

    jumped out of my damn seat when i heard a zombie try to break down my door

    anyone know if there's a texture pack equivalent to Frenden's pack? I really loved the cartoony look his pack had but it looks like he stopped updating it a while back (several items straight up dont have textures anymore)

  • apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    I'd be forever cursing the moments I missed the switch, personally.

    another logistic thing: If we're going to have vanilla, someone needs to provide iron for the carts. For free.

  • IsaIsa Registered User regular
    it's not like we use gold for anything else

    Speak for yourself. :P

    pasig.gif Minecraft: kokizzo
  • MayabirdMayabird Being held down by the hu-ManRegistered User regular
    You know, speaking of new maps and new builds and such, there had been that plan for temporary maps, like resource-poor mushroom cave worlds or other bizarre things, with a storyline and a set time it would be up. That would be a good test of the no-motivation people to get some.

  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    You know, speaking of new maps and new builds and such, there had been that plan for temporary maps, like resource-poor mushroom cave worlds or other bizarre things, with a storyline and a set time it would be up. That would be a good test of the no-motivation people to get some.

    You may have recalled that I was working on a underdark inspired map, but the more I planned and brainstormed the more I realized that it would be a far too massive undertaking even with help from the other admins for the amount of time the map would actually be used. Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time on my hands to think of another temporary map type of thing that could contrast our current map. We have thrown around the idea of a temp anarchy PvP map and then watch what would happen on it.

    hLeTR.png
  • thorgotthorgot Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Does anyone watch yogscast? I just stumbled on some archer hero videos and they're pretty great.

    yes they are great and 1.5 million people watch their minecraft videos

    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • HaleskarthHaleskarth Registered User regular
    ultimakay wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    You know, speaking of new maps and new builds and such, there had been that plan for temporary maps, like resource-poor mushroom cave worlds or other bizarre things, with a storyline and a set time it would be up. That would be a good test of the no-motivation people to get some.

    You may have recalled that I was working on a underdark inspired map, but the more I planned and brainstormed the more I realized that it would be a far too massive undertaking even with help from the other admins for the amount of time the map would actually be used. Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time on my hands to think of another temporary map type of thing that could contrast our current map. We have thrown around the idea of a temp anarchy PvP map and then watch what would happen on it.

    That's a shame :(

    PvP would be fun. I like my pvp structured though, I miss when cultists came to invasions to try and thwart us.

  • FerretFerret Registered User regular
    ultimakay wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    You know, speaking of new maps and new builds and such, there had been that plan for temporary maps, like resource-poor mushroom cave worlds or other bizarre things, with a storyline and a set time it would be up. That would be a good test of the no-motivation people to get some.

    You may have recalled that I was working on a underdark inspired map, but the more I planned and brainstormed the more I realized that it would be a far too massive undertaking even with help from the other admins for the amount of time the map would actually be used. Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time on my hands to think of another temporary map type of thing that could contrast our current map. We have thrown around the idea of a temp anarchy PvP map and then watch what would happen on it.


    I approve of this idea

    Remember 12/21/2012 when the doctor saved us all once again.
  • ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    I'd be forever cursing the moments I missed the switch, personally.

    another logistic thing: If we're going to have vanilla, someone needs to provide iron for the carts. For free.

    Sounds like that iron golem farm will be needed after all?

  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    ultimakay wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    You know, speaking of new maps and new builds and such, there had been that plan for temporary maps, like resource-poor mushroom cave worlds or other bizarre things, with a storyline and a set time it would be up. That would be a good test of the no-motivation people to get some.

    You may have recalled that I was working on a underdark inspired map, but the more I planned and brainstormed the more I realized that it would be a far too massive undertaking even with help from the other admins for the amount of time the map would actually be used. Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time on my hands to think of another temporary map type of thing that could contrast our current map. We have thrown around the idea of a temp anarchy PvP map and then watch what would happen on it.
    You could finally use all those city buildings we made a few months back.

This discussion has been closed.