As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Avengers! or why a Justice League film can't succeed!

• HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    maybe Im no expert or anything but isnt darkseid insanely cosmic powered

like, enough to defeat the entire league if they fought him

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Sort of going off of what @Blankzilla wrote this is probably how I would approach a Justice League film (and set it up).

#1: World's Finest: This one's a bit tricky but I think (going off what story I'd like to see) I'd have Lex Luthor hire the Riddler to figure out who Superman is while Lex works on building an army of super-powered humans. He succeeds in Parasite (who proceeds to go crazy). So Superman handles Parasite while Batman tracks down Lex & Riddler. During the plot Batman & Superman but-heads, but come to trust each other. This establishes that heroes can work together and such for the next films.

#2: Flash: A comedic origin film in which the Flash battles Captain Cold, Weather Wizard, Abra Kadabra & Mirror Master. As much as its an origin film for the Flash it is also an origin film for the rogue gallery, who would be the first unified villain group in the world (secretly pushed together by Vandall Savage). Flash battles all of them at once, is beaten/captured and than turns them against each other until getting loose & saving the day.

#3: Wonder Woman: This would primarily be an origin film in which Diana leaves Themyscira to accept her role as ambassador for her people. The villain would be Vandall Savage who with alien technology (supplied by a not yet-shown Despero) is trying to unleash a mystical threat upon Earth (with his motivation being that Despero has granted him passage to see the universe, and with Savage being bored of Earth he wants to conquer new worlds). This is basically the Thor of the series. Wonder Woman is smashing skeletons and fighting ancient magic while having to adjust to how the outside world operates.

#4: Green Lantern: I'd have Hal Jordon already established and play the film as him investigating the disappearance of worlds while off in space. It'd have elements of a pulp detective story with sci-fi aspects and end with a tease of Despero leading his invasion towards Earth.

#5: Justice League: Hal Jordon arrives back to Earth to announce Despero's plans for invasion. The heroes unify to take him on.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    @Zonugal, I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i'm not the only one not surprised by the lack of unity for DC's movie department, right? i mean, hell

Morrison put it best regarding the actual comics
    And now there were two healthy universes living and growing inside our own. The DC Universe was a series of islands separated for years, suddenly discovering one another and setting up new trade routes. And there was Marvel’s beautifully orchestrated growth and development.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

the threat of Darkseid isn't really a physical threat, although he is indeed cosmically powerful

Darkseid's power comes from control and corruption and despair

when you cry out in your dreams, it is Darkseid that you see

Centipede Damascus on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Excelsior!!!

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Excelsior!!!
    That one's taken. You need something original, something snappy

something like

howler monkey.

sarukun wrote: »

Excelsior!!!

something like

howler monkey.

How about...

Lagu-Noz!!!!

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So far in the Avengers facebook game, I have Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Iron Fist, and Sif.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    It definitely worked for Marvel, but that doesn't mean a different way couldn't work for DC. The main problem right now is that the DC films keep staggering so they can't get their heroes all in the same shared universe.

True. Yet so far WB/DC has shown they have no good ideas or anything beyond trying to copy while do the opposite of Marvel. Without Nolan guiding them they're going nowhere fast and he doesn't want a shared universe. To compete with Marvel they need to up their game considerably and think outside the box otherwise they're not even trying.

Harry Dresden on

the threat of Darkseid isn't really a physical threat, although he is indeed cosmically powerful

That and he's a team wrecker. At the very least he can almost kill Superman in a fight.

edited May 2012
    I think the only way to really handle a conflict with Darkseid is to set an objective beyond "beat him in a fight" and than have the team split up to achieve it.

Superman fights Darkseid as to buy time, Batman works with technology as to reconfigure a boom-tube teleporter (to send Darkseid & his fleet back home), Wonder Woman & The Green Lantern hold off Granny Goodness and the Female Furies (Mad Harriet, Stompa and Lashina), while the Flash races around the huge ship destroying every single transporter/vehicle he can find.

Zonugal on

Excelsior!!!

something like

howler monkey.

How about...

Lagu-Noz!!!!

Too obscure.

It needs to be familiar and fresh at the same time.

Baking soda? No, no.

I got it.

Allen Wrench.

• blixaphonicsblixaphonics the french champagne Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    personally, for the sequel
    (if they include thanos) i think they should just forgot about the CGI/make-up and just apply paint to forest whitaker, give him a semi-convincing infinity gauntlet made of gold-coloured plastic, and save a whole shitload of money. also, give the film the subtitle 'last king of the universe'.

i've sent numerous e-mails to the studio but so far, no reply.

blixaphonics on
    I just really want a Flash movie. He's a perfect character for the big screen and you can do many amazing stunts/scenes with him.

(if they include thanos) i think they should just forgot about the CGI/make-up and just apply paint to Michael Ironside, give him a semi-convincing infinity gauntlet made of gold-coloured plastic, and save a whole shitload of money. also, give the film the subtitle 'last king of the universe'.

I have made my changes.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    if they made a Flash movie

they'd have to make a Justice League movie

Excelsior!!!

something like

howler monkey.

How about...

Lagu-Noz!!!!

Too obscure.

Baking soda? No, no.

I got it.

Allen Wrench.

Allen Wrench? Allen Wrench!?!

Sarukun, pack up your cubicle, you are fired!

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    (if they include thanos) i think they should just forgot about the CGI/make-up and just apply paint to Michael Ironside, give him a semi-convincing infinity gauntlet made of gold-coloured plastic, and save a whole shitload of money. also, give the film the subtitle 'last king of the universe'.

I have made my changes.

But then, how would Richter see us at the party?

~ Buckaroo Banzai

Excelsior!!!

something like

howler monkey.

How about...

Lagu-Noz!!!!

Too obscure.

Baking soda? No, no.

I got it.

Allen Wrench.

No, no, you don't understand.

It's ironic.

I have made my changes.

I'm going to be honest here, I don't get this reference or comment.

Excelsior!!!

something like

howler monkey.

How about...

Lagu-Noz!!!!

Too obscure.

Baking soda? No, no.

I got it.

Allen Wrench.

It's ironic.

I'm calling security right now.

I have made my changes.

I'm going to be honest here, I don't get this reference or comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SduYfdbmiI8

~ Buckaroo Banzai
    I thought that might have been an Ironside reference.

But I haven't seen Total Recall in a long time.

Which is a shame because it might be my favorite Arnold film.

Excelsior!!!

something like

howler monkey.

How about...

Lagu-Noz!!!!

Too obscure.

Baking soda? No, no.

I got it.

Allen Wrench.

It's ironic.

Security is already here. I called them 15 minutes ago.

Any last words, Mr. President?

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I think what would make a Justice League movie work would be to have them bond together over an assortment of their own villains in a Masters of Evil way

but after the move is over it cuts to Braniac, the true mastermind, obviously smug after having fucked with them for some reason

because brainiac is a GREAT justice league villain, especially for a movie, but he's not an introductory villain

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular

This is actually one of the reasons why I'd be wary of seeing him in a movie, although at least the League would be a better opponent than a singular hero like Superman

As an overseer of a plot, I can see him working; foiling a plan and prompting him to pull back, rather than defeating the entity himself

Seeing as Darkseid is basically a deity

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png

Excelsior!!!

something like

howler monkey.

How about...

Lagu-Noz!!!!

Too obscure.

Baking soda? No, no.

I got it.

Allen Wrench.

It's ironic.

celeb-finger-georgewbush.jpg

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I like to think Darkseid is real and he has only let Comic book fans know of him so resistance to his dominion will be mocked and ridiculed.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    christina hendricks to play wonder woman please

I just really want a Flash movie. He's a perfect character for the big screen and you can do many amazing stunts/scenes with him.

i would pay serious monies to see some flash villains on screen. preferably a few. doesn't even need to be for long periods of time, they could just have a montage of him beating captain boomerang, girder, double down, etc, etc before they switch to the main villain who HAS to be gorilla grodd.

i would pay serious monies to see some flash villains on screen. preferably a few. doesn't even need to be for long periods of time, they could just have a montage of him beating captain boomerang, girder, double down, etc, etc before they switch to the main villain who HAS to be gorilla grodd.

Eh....

I think the only way to really handle a conflict with Darkseid is to set an objective beyond "beat him in a fight" and than have the team split up to achieve it.

Superman fights Darkseid as to buy time, Batman works with technology as to reconfigure a boom-tube teleporter (to send Darkseid & his fleet back home), Wonder Woman & The Green Lantern hold off Granny Goodness and the Female Furies (Mad Harriet, Stompa and Lashina), while the Flash races around the huge ship destroying every single transporter/vehicle he can find.

:^:

Agreed. I'm puzzled why WB started with GL over Flash. It's much easier and possibly cheaper to make than GL.
    Buttlord wrote: »

I disagree. Bridget Regan is what the role needs. :mrgreen:

Excelsior!!!

something like

howler monkey.

How about...

Lagu-Noz!!!!

Too obscure.

Baking soda? No, no.

I got it.

Allen Wrench.

It's ironic.

celeb-finger-georgewbush.jpg

wellplayed.jpg

They should just have Jaimie Alexander do it.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

yes yes yes yes yes

Also @Sarukun, let it be known that dog is @Blankzilla.

Eh....

i'm sorry but the film industry in general needs more giant, talking, super-intelligent telepathic gorillas. give him a tommy gun (didn't he use one in the comics at some point or was this just a fever dream?) and we'd have academy award potential.

Antimatter wrote: »

yes yes yes yes yes

I don't even care that she's tied up with Marvel.

She has shown she can do action, some-what resembles what I imagine the character would look like, can act and would put guys/girls in movie seats.

She'd be good, too. Really impressed me in Thor.

This discussion has been closed.