As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stuttering Audio/Video When Streaming Help

TopiaTopia Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just formatted my computer, as I do often, but this time now whenever I go to stream video (justin.tv, etc) the audio/video stutters. I feel like it's a video problem, but I can't say for sure, but here are some details.

Only happens when video is full or near full-screen. If I shrink the window size small enough it stops stuttering. Doesn't happen when I'm looking at a different tab (which makes me think it's a video issue, but it's a strange issue). Only happens when streaming live, watching vods or videos like youtube work fine, no matter the quality. I double checked my drivers, but I'm running a GeForce GTX 460, onboard (motherboard - Sabertooth 55i) audio. Everything worked fine before the format, so I'm not sure what is different now.

If anyone has any ideas, or needs some more information I would appreciate it greatly!

Thanks in advance, I hope someone can help!

edit: here's some more. Quality doesn't matter - 1080, 240, doesn't matter, it acts the exact same regardless.

Topia on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Same issue in all browsers?

• Options
    Yes, though the "screen size" issue is more prominent in chrome than firefox. The problem goes away faster in firefox, that is.

• Options
    Try turning off hardware acceleration (Chrome instructions).

• Options
    Disabled by default, I tried turning it on, that didn't do anything either.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    :?

Try Opera? It's the best browser anyways :P

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    @TychoCelchuuu I'll try and update on how opera works for it.

nope, same problem... ugghhhh

Topia on
  • Options
    uh

reformat?

Maybe try drivers t hat are one release older or something.

• Options
    Haha, I just formatted today, thats when the problem started, after I reinstalled everything.

I tried older video drivers.

I'm at a loss. This is very frustrating.

• Options
    Yeah the "reformat?" was a joke. I'm... kind of out of ideas. PAGING EVERYONE ELSE ON THESE FORUMS.

• Options
    So this is frustrating. I woke up this morning and it worked fine. Went and showered, came back, and the stuttering started up again. I'm extremely confused and frustrated.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Overheating? Probably not, considering it started with the reformat, but it's always the first thing I jump to.

• Options
    Haha, nope, I cleaned out any dust on reformat as well. It's working now, today, and I haven't changed anything. Maybe it was a windows updates thing? But those don't hurt my system resources or bandwidth at all, so I don't know.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Topia wrote: »
    Haha, nope, I cleaned out any dust on reformat as well. It's working now, today, and I haven't changed anything. Maybe it was a windows updates thing? But those don't hurt my system resources or bandwidth at all, so I don't know.

Certain updates tend to eat up CPU time, particularly the .NET Framework updates because they run an "optimizer" process for a while when they're installed (as a matter of fact, sometimes the service that starts that process keeps running after that and people have to disable it) and I remember that causing me issues in the past. In fact, I seem to remember first noticing that problem while I was streaming video online after one of those updates, actually. There's also some other update that causes similar symptoms, but I don't remember what just now. Anyway, if you had to start from scratch on updates, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were doing that before you got totally up-to-date on your updates. Even if Windows Update wasn't actively eating much CPU, updates running in the background could still easily cause stutter because they're weird like that. Just today I had a game I was running in fullscreen minimize itself because one of today's updates decided it needed to be in the foreground even though it didn't actually want to show me a window (and this issue happens with plenty of updates). All sorts of dumb things happen when Windows Update is running or just finished running.

Buuut it's always possible that it's an intermittent hardware problem and just isn't showing up right now, so keep an eye on things.