As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    I just hope the game you're working on happens to be a dark magic fantasy game set in a desert, so all your time is spent either on sandwiches, or sand witches.

• NicNic Registered User regular
    The sandwiches are a fringe perk, the job pays in dollars. Plus it's hard to tax sandwich-based incomes.

• PROXPROX Registered User regular
    Congratulations Fug. Seriously bro i know you could make it.

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Nic wrote: »
    The sandwiches are a fringe perk, the job pays in dollars. Plus it's hard to tax sandwich-based incomes.

They could always implement a fringe benefit tax where the local mayor pops around and takes two bites out of every sandwich you earn.
    Though that would be only if you were earning over 500 sandwiches per year.

edited May 2012
    Please tell me your also a Torontian...Torontoan....someone from Toronto Fug?
    http://letfreedomrain.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/im-rob-fucking-ford-torontos-mayor-came.html

Mustang on
    I feel like the top percentage of sandwich earners should be giving more in this economy, but on the other hand, I don't think I'd like it if the revenue service came to my door to take away my hard earned bread and butter, yeah this joke is over.

• Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    At least it went out on a high note, tyn.

AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Nic having an avatar drawn by tynic just adds to the confusion and that's great.

EDIT: oh wait, it's hams' work. For some reason it looks like tynic's style... though maybe closer to her early days.

Mayday on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Mustang wrote: »
    Please tell me your also a Torontian...Torontoan....someone from Toronto Fug?
    http://letfreedomrain.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/im-rob-fucking-ford-torontos-mayor-came.html

Ah. Stay classy Ford.

• r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    urgh. that title gets me e'ry goddamn time.

• Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Nic having an avatar drawn by tynic just adds to the confusion and that's great.

Wait. What is real.

AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    So I see someone pulled out the chickitten for the totp... I'm guessing I don't want to read the past few pages, do I.

I played through Portal 2 finally today, having just last week built a computer capable of running it. Spoilers in case the rest of you are as far behind on these things as I am.
    So uh, Valve really committed to the absurdity angle at the end there. As I was watching it all play out I kept thinking, "man, this feels super tacked-on and jarringly out of character, but I can tell they worked really hard on it." Which is probably a bad sign, considering how fluid everything else Valve / Portal generally is. In all honesty, I clicked on the moon by accident; I was trying to zoom in. Nothing in the past six hours of gameplay led me to expect the ending, and it just came across as a big letdown.

I love the Cave Johnson character, and I wish they had spent more time in the 60's "era." That bit of storytelling was handled so much better than Wheatley's. Unfortunately the whole thing began to draw uncomfortably close to Mann Co the longer it went on; I literally watched the Valveularity form before my eyes in a bizarre Black Mesa meets Mann Co pileup (The new "hats for robots"thing certainly does nothing to help that." The last third of the game felt entirely as though they were falling back on old tricks and familiar character templates, and I had the same issue I have with most Metroidvania games; you spend so much time working your way up to the full package of tools and mechanics, and then spend almost no time actually using them all before it ends.

Dude, forget everything you know about Portal 2, and play it in cooperative mode, then download some new maps and try them.

I finished the single player part faster than any other game ever, and I was in love with the game, but when I got a friend to play it in coop mode, it was a WHOLE different experience, a really enhanced experience. (voice chat is a must)

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Jesus Christ. I'd offer my firstborn for that.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    So Time has a cover story about breast feeding women. Not sure how you guys stand on this but it's a bit of an odd situation. I mean, I'm all for breast feeding. I think it provides great benefits to the child. However, I have a friend whose wife still breast feeds her daughter and she's about two years old now. The child can talk and ask for the mother's breast. I feel a bit odd about that situation. This is especially true when I'm over at their house and she whips out her boob in the living room while we're all sitting and conversing.

The article talks about women breast feeding seven year old children and the cover photo is of a women and her three year old son breast feeding. I find this pretty bizarre.

When would somebody draw the line on this?

"I still breast feed my son. Just couldn't ween him off the tit."
    "Really? How long has this been going on?"
    "Quite some time. LIttle bugger gets a big excited and nips me with his teeth every once in a while. They grow up so fast. He just got his learner's permit."

http://lightbox.time.com/2012/05/10/parenting/#1

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    I nanny'd for a family where the mother was still breast feeding her two and a half year old. It's weird hearing a toddler whine about wanting milk. It can also cause weird psychological/sociological "issues" if I remember my old college psych class correctly. Like how your kid could end up having severe cases of Freudian dementia or whatever, haha.

There are only a certain number of weeks that breast feeding is really necessary or ideal. After that it's probably the mother that has a problem, not the child.

From my understanding, after six months all of the mother's anit-bodies have been passed to the child. There's no real need beyond that. I can understand up to one year old. After that, I feel a bit apprehensive about the whole thing. Of course, I probably wouldn't care except these are probably the same women fighting to be able to breast feed at restaurants and other public places. That's just what I want to see while I'm eating my dinner. Some lady sitting at the table with her five year old child sucking down an after dinner snack from her breast.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    six months is the minimum recommended. There's some evidence of benefits up to around a year or so. After that it's not really a useful health thing.
    At least it went out on a high note, tyn.

wait what

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Breast milk is overrated. I feed my kid beer.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Breast milk is overrated. I feed my kid beer.

trademarking "kid beer"

How about breast beer?

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My adviser continues to be an idiot.

I literally taped my USB drive to the outside of the portfolio. I got word back that he pried off my name tag because he thought it would be under it. WHY WOULD I PUT IT UNDER MY NAME TAG FOR YOU TO RIP OFF- THAT IS HOW YOU KNOW IT IS MINE.

If he just looked at it for 2 seconds, he would have gone "Oh hey, it is TAPED TO THE FRONT OF THE PORTFOLIO."

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Haha. Napp, I was extremely confused until it dawned on me you meant "taped". That is ridiculous though, I think advisers are known for being a little, uh... not all there? I had a horrible adviser all through college until literally my last semester.

Prospicience on
    edited May 2012
    Haha, whoops. My rage fuled typing skills are not so great.

This is killing me though. I need to get this approved to graduate and he is so not even trying to meet me halfway here.

I should have asked for a new adviser but until now, nothing he's done really impacted my chances of graduating on time so I didn't care that much.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    The good thing about breast feeding is that its free. I can see why people choose it in order to save, but I dont want my wife breastfeeding a 5 year old.

Yeah that's another thing - what do the fathers say/do when they know it's going on?

Join in?

UGH

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    This reminds me of that saturday night live sketch where a grown will farrel came out of a woman's vagina, "Wow, I sure am hungry. I could go for a denver omelet or maybe some BOOBIE"

Well, my friend whose wife is still breast feeding their two year old has read the book that the mother is following. She's pretty bullish about it so I'm guessing that he's just going with the flow for now. I hope that if it goes on for too long that he'll say something about it. He's a pretty smart guy but I think he's leaving a lot of the baby decisions to his wife.

Funnily, she's also one of those women who gets pissed if you tell her that she can't change her child in certain places. Like she tried to change the child on a restaurant table once and a waitress stopped her and told her to go to the bathroom to do that. She got all pissed off about that. I had to give her a reality check. If I saw somebody change a child at a restaurant table I would ask specifically to not be seated at that table. If I was sitting at the restaurant eating while somebody did that I would complain and possibly leave if nobody did something. She didn't understand why until I explained that she's introducing faeces and urine into an environment where people are consuming edibles. Major health issues.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Shit, I had to stop a parent from changing a baby on a plane. while it was landing.

yeah, I'm sure the little bastard will get diaper rash or something if you don't change him.

I'm also sure his little shit stained corpse will hit the co-pilot in the back of the fucking head if we land just right. Strap that fucking welfare check down for the next five minutes.

Mayday wrote: »

EDIT: oh wait, it's hams' work. For some reason it looks like tynic's style... though maybe closer to her early days.

Yeah I'm just here to confuse all of you all; a rolling fog of dementia from which there is no escape.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Yeah she's a goose, and that's a health issue. She's lucky she wasn't asked to leave the restaurant.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Guh I can't take any more of these stories of frustratingly clueless people.

Bebarce, tell the story about the alien again. That guy was endearingly clueless.

• ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It kind of goes hand in hand with the "cult of parenting" stuff going on, or like the indigo children, my child is special, goes to the prestige pre-school academy for gifted toddling.

Chromatomic on
    edited May 2012
    Breast milk is actually quite high in glucose, and can cause kids all sorts of dental issues if they're breastfeeding beyond 2-3.
    Personally I think it's a bit fucking wierd to breastfeed beyond 2. Nobody wants to remember chowing down on Mums cans, you want that shit squelched from your memory bank.

EDIT: Actually that may not be entirely true, I just heard that from a Mum who felt the need to spill her story to me about long term breast feeding. The entire conversation was incredibly uncomfortable....she breast fed up to 5 years.

Speaking of kids, I haven't post a pic up of my daughter recently. She's getting plenty big.
    dsc0077small.jpg

Mustang on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    D'aww... That's a really great photo.

@Grifter: I'm not sure there was any need to lock Warpony's thread. They did say they were open to feedback, and locking the thread without really breaching any rules seems more than a little discouraging.

He also said they're doodles. We have a thread for those and people are welcome to provide feedback in that thread too.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Grifter wrote: »
    . Like she tried to change the child on a restaurant table once and a waitress stopped her and told her to go to the bathroom to do that. She got all pissed off about that.

I'm honestly surprised that she didn't get immediately booted and the whole place shut down for the night. Because that's what's supposed to happen when a crazy lady changes a shitty diaper in the middle of a restaurant.

Scosglen on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Grifter wrote: »
    He also said they're doodles. We have a thread for those and people are welcome to provide feedback in that thread too.

True, but a new user is also much more likely to get overlooked in there. That's up to you, but I just don't want it to seem like new people aren't welcome. My art probably wasn't much better when I first started posting.

Flay on
This discussion has been closed.