As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Brain Problems Thread: You don't have to be crazy to post here, but it helps.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited May 2012 in Social Entropy++
This is a thread for people to air their brain-related problems and get support from other groovy folks. You don't have to be suffering from anything to post here (I don't*): just be a supportive, awesome person.

Take the following into consideration before posting:

-People tend to treat the brain as magic or something. It's still a physical thing, and sometimes breaks down like any other part of the body. Don't think that your mental illness is some personal failing of yourself.
-Likewise, don't be ashamed to post here. Some people finding that talking it out can be very therapeutic. You aren't a bad person for having a cold or fever, so why would you be a bad person for having some brain thing?
-Self-diagnosis is silly. Go see a professional before thinking you have anything.
-Since a lot of people in these threads tend to skew younger, keep in mind that a lot of colleges have people trained to deal with problems you may be having. If you are enrolled, then your outrageous tuition fees should be covering that shit. Don't let those student loans go to waste.
-Likewise, check out support groups. Colleges love damn groups for just about everything. Groups: not just for anime.
-Understand that this is the internet and you may or may not care about how much personal stuff you divulge.
-If Vivixenne ever posts in this thread, then it is probably 100% pure gold. Listen to it and stuff.
-While this thread, ideally, should be a warm happy place of digital hugs and sweetness, having problems does not necessarily absolve you of personal responsibility and shit. In other words: at least try not to be too thin-skinned if people toss out some criticisms. Unless they're being dicks about it, I guess.
-One big caveat to post here is that few people here are trained doctors that really have any idea of how the brain works besides an article they read once on Wikipedia. While a lot of people here are awesome, and the place is good for...feelin' good, ultimately your doctor should probably be the final authority on any major decisions you make.
-Having said that, doctors are not perfect. If you've been seeing the same person/people for a a good while and aren't happy with the results, then shop around.

Oh, and one last thing for those of us with (for lack of a better term: don't take this the wrong way, anyone) healthier brains: it's kinda hard to understand what a person is going through when you aren't or haven't suffering/suffered the same thing. I can't wrap my head around a lot of this shit, so just take a moment to think a bit before you tear into someone. In fact, maybe just don't tear into people at all?

*or do I?

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    a thread for me?!

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    hi raz

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    hey raz. having a tough one?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So yeah, last week I starting getting shortness of breath and had a couple of "attacks" where I felt like I couldn't breathe. The breathing thing has been pretty persistent the last few days but I got all by blood checked and everything and nothing shows up that would cause shortness of breath so now I'm on prozac for anxiety.

Also found out I have type-2 diabetes but that's not technically a brain problem.

• Options
    my anxiety is so bad i can't even go read the space thread i made because it makes me feel like more of a failure

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Anxiety and ADD are my brain problems, on medication for both.

I really need to make an appointment with my therapist now that she's back from her stroke recovery and maybe deal with stuff that could be related to my first problem

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I was being sincere when I said that I have no problems that I know of. Other than a bit of normal anxiety over finding a summer job, I'm doing just groovy.

But I like to learn things about people, and there seemed to be appreciation for the old thread we had last winter.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I suffer from an almost constant fear that I'm naturally an irritating and unlikable person, and that I'm going to end up pushing everybody I care about and respect away because I'm a dumbass.

Beyond that, things are pretty peachy.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    I wish I had the motivation to find a job

but nope

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I suffer from an almost constant fear that I'm naturally an irritating and unlikable person, and that I'm going to end up pushing everybody I care about and respect away because I'm a dumbass.

Beyond that, things are pretty peachy.

the xiety is pretty no fun

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    i have anxiety, adhd and major depressive disorder

i've spent the last two days trying to summon the motivation to work on my entreprenurial pursuits in the face of not making any money at it

pretty worried about how i'll survive the world outside of the academy

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I was being sincere when I said that I have no problems that I know of. Other than a bit of normal anxiety over finding a summer job, I'm doing just groovy.

But I like to learn things about people, and there seemed to be appreciation for the old thread we had last winter.

i certainly appreciate it. thank you.

• Options
    Shabooty wrote: »

but nope

I am going to wait until i've run completely out of cash and all my loans and credit cards need payments

use that as my motivation

I'm a genius i know.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Hey Orik, how did that IndieGoGo thing of yours go?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Kadith wrote: »

but nope

I am going to wait until i've run completely out of cash and all my loans and credit cards need payments

I'm a genius i know.

no then you become me

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

i've spent the last two days trying to summon the motivation to work on my entreprenurial pursuits in the face of not making any money at it

I gave up on my dreams and pursued a career in manual labor.

Turns out the manual labor market is shockingly hard to break into. This has caused me no end of anxiety.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I am lieing in my bed trying to convince my self to go to my friends. But I am super anixous about it because this last week has been insane.

And I said a bunch of stuff to my friend through a text but I'm embarrassed and disgusted with my self by all of it so I don't want to see him. Even though he understands :(

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

I gave up on my dreams and pursued a career in manual labor.

Turns out the manual labor market is shockingly hard to break into. This has caused me no end of anxiety.

ive decided to never give up on my dreams because i'm an incredibly stubborn person

• Options
    I am lieing in my bed trying to convince my self to go to my friends. But I am super anixous about it because this last week has been insane.

And I said a bunch of stuff to my friend through a text but I'm embarrassed and disgusted with my self by all of it so I don't want to see him. Even though he understands :(

go, you'll have fun and feel better

• Options

but nope

I'm a genius i know.

no then you become me

that's probably better than being me

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options

but nope

I'm a genius i know.
    no then you become me
    I am become Debt, the destroyer of credit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    I've always had this nagging feeling that nobody actually likes me

And that most people just 'fake' it because thats what youre supposed to do in society

i should probably see someone, but im actually afraid of having something wrong or that i'm just being a pussy and amplifying things that arent major problems

i worry about going to see someone about it because i worry that people will think i'm only doing it for attention or w/e

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I'm basically the bipolar disorder poster child

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    Still got depression and anxiety. Same ol' same ol'.

Lately I've been anxious about work without being at work. Wondering if people are talking about me, etc. My paranoia levels are pretty ridiculous at the moment.

Been trying to distract myself as best I can, though.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Also I'm real actual crazy

My psychiatrist recommended a stay in a psych ward for a while but I was too busy

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Tomorrow I am going to the graduation ceremony for the one person who turned out to actually be my friend at school

I can't wait to see all my ex-roommates and everyone else who treated me like shit and helped send me into a breakdown

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not even sure where the anxiety came from. Just suddenly had breathing issues when I went to see Avengers. Like I couldn't get enough oxygen. Went away about 20 minutes into the movie and I was fine until that night I got real bad and felt like I was going to pass out. Went for a walk outside and it cleared.

Since then though the not getting enough air feeling has become pretty persistent. Just started the prozac today. I really hope it helps.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Tomorrow I am going to the graduation ceremony for the one person who turned out to actually be my friend at school

I can't wait to see all my ex-roommates and everyone else who treated me like shit and helped send me into a breakdown

Friendly Reminder: Laxatives are a thing you can buy over the counter at drug stores.

Other Friendly Reminder: Some people don't notice when you slip laxatives into their punch cups.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    I'm not even sure where the anxiety came from. Just suddenly had breathing issues when I went to see Avengers. Like I couldn't get enough oxygen. Went away about 20 minutes into the movie and I was fine until that night I got real bad and felt like I was going to pass out. Went for a walk outside and it cleared.

Since then though the not getting enough air feeling has become pretty persistent. Just started the prozac today. I really hope it helps.
    i get some pretty hardcore claustrophobia and social anxiety at movies, i'm not surprised it happened at a loud, intense, huge blockbuster film

especially written by joss whedon

• Options

Friendly Reminder: Laxatives are a thing you can buy over the counter at drug stores.

Other Friendly Reminder: Some people don't notice when you slip laxatives into their punch cups.

Oh god I wish.

But some how I still believe that I'm not that terrible of a person despite the evidence to the contrary.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options

Friendliest Reminder: Slipping people laxatives can be considered poisoning.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular

The feeling of lack of oxygen is pretty common, and something I suffer from. People with anxiety tend to breathe shallower as well, I know I do. Focusing on your breathing and taking deep breaths is really important in the midst of feeling nervous. Cause once your chest feels tight and your brain goes into 'I can't breathe' mode it can be hard to come back.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have the anxiety pretty intensely and am Bipolar 2.

Brain problems suck.

• Options

Raz, you don't really think I would recommend slipping drugs into people's drinking cups?

That would be insane!

But also funny.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options

Oh god I wish.

But some how I still believe that I'm not that terrible of a person despite the evidence to the contrary.

Maybe they need to take a poop really bad, but haven't been able to for days.

In that situation, is their humiliation not to their benefit and yours?

Let us think on this.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    I will probably just stay as long as I can manage then run away and cry in the car for a while and then drive the 2 hours home and text an apology to my friend.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options

Raz, you don't really think I would recommend slipping drugs into people's drinking cups?

That would be insane!

But also funny.
    Well it's also really hard to do.

I tried it once in college, but it's pretty obvious looking. You'd have to crush that shit into a fine powder. Luckily I didn't do it, and my friends got to yell at me for almost being reckless.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My anxiety doesn't come to moments of panic and short breath very often. Which is why I have a hard time identifying when it's unhealthy.

It's more of a persistent worrying that ends up triggering depressive mood swings.

• Options
    Sara Lynn wrote: »

The feeling of lack of oxygen is pretty common, and something I suffer from. People with anxiety tend to breathe shallower as well, I know I do. Focusing on your breathing and taking deep breaths is really important in the midst of feeling nervous. Cause once your chest feels tight and your brain goes into 'I can't breathe' mode it can be hard to come back.

I've never had breathing problems

But i get really sharp anxiety pains in my chest and wing span while i think solely of things that give me anxiety

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I finally moved out a bit over a month ago, successfully getting rid of my last excuse for not having a social life. Now all I have to blame is my laziness and/or general inability to ever approach any of my friends or do anything on my own, so all I do is sit at home waiting for one of them to invite me to something. Seriously, "Hey dude let's hang out or something.", should not be that hard!

I managed to get someone to go see Avengers with me though, so that was... pretty much the only social thing I've personally instigated in at least a year. Go me?

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
This discussion has been closed.