Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

15253555758101

Posts

  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    I do no more than simply ask you people defending the graphics or saying they don't matter to look at the publicity screenshot that TSR posted and the exact copy I posted directly off the system and tell me that level of misrepresentation is acceptable. And then for bonus points tell me how a port that looks like that is acceptable compared to other ports already on the system that look several standard deviations better and pretty damn close to their console counterparts. Not to mention the fact that I could post some screenshots of PSP fighting games where the characters look about that if not maybe a little better.

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    I was just about to go through the trouble of taking a screenshot of a game and then increasing it in size by 1.5x, post it, and go, "OMG THIS GAME IS SHIT GRAPHIXXX"

    Then I realized the effort would be wasted because this whole fucking thing is stupid. For exactly the reason Scottsman put it. What matters is seeing the fucking game in action on the intended screen. If you can somehow derive that quality from a still shot that is blown up on your PC monitor and also not in motion, you must be some level of genius artist that we haven't seen around here, or you're actually just a bullshit-artist that's whining about things for the sake of whining.

    I'm in a bad mood and probably coming across really harsh. Sorry. But goddamn it, for serious, how do these things not cross your mind when you look at screenshots / videos that aren't on the device in question? THIS SONG BASED ON STEREO EFFECTS SUCKS ON MY MONO OUTPUT, THEREFORE THE SONG SUCKS.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    ...Well...it isn't so much that I'm not disappointed by things. I just tend to have realistic expectations based on past experiences. So, yeah, overall I'm probably not as disappointed about things as most.

  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Henroid wrote: »
    I was just about to go through the trouble of taking a screenshot of a game and then increasing it in size by 1.5x, post it, and go, "OMG THIS GAME IS SHIT GRAPHIXXX"

    Then I realized the effort would be wasted because this whole fucking thing is stupid. For exactly the reason Scottsman put it. What matters is seeing the fucking game in action on the intended screen. If you can somehow derive that quality from a still shot that is blown up on your PC monitor and also not in motion, you must be some level of genius artist that we haven't seen around here, or you're actually just a bullshit-artist that's whining about things for the sake of whining.

    I'm in a bad mood and probably coming across really harsh. Sorry. But goddamn it, for serious, how do these things not cross your mind when you look at screenshots / videos that aren't on the device in question? THIS SONG BASED ON STEREO EFFECTS SUCKS ON MY MONO OUTPUT, THEREFORE THE SONG SUCKS.

    Except I didn't blow up a single thing. I posted the screenshot at its native resolution, I literally took it directly from my Vita and posted it. And then I even made the comment IN the post that it being bigger than on the screen DOES account for a little bit, but not THAT much.

    The_Spaniard on
    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I was just about to go through the trouble of taking a screenshot of a game and then increasing it in size by 1.5x, post it, and go, "OMG THIS GAME IS SHIT GRAPHIXXX"

    Then I realized the effort would be wasted because this whole fucking thing is stupid. For exactly the reason Scottsman put it. What matters is seeing the fucking game in action on the intended screen. If you can somehow derive that quality from a still shot that is blown up on your PC monitor and also not in motion, you must be some level of genius artist that we haven't seen around here, or you're actually just a bullshit-artist that's whining about things for the sake of whining.

    I'm in a bad mood and probably coming across really harsh. Sorry. But goddamn it, for serious, how do these things not cross your mind when you look at screenshots / videos that aren't on the device in question? THIS SONG BASED ON STEREO EFFECTS SUCKS ON MY MONO OUTPUT, THEREFORE THE SONG SUCKS.

    Except I didn't blow up a single thing. I posted the screenshot at it's native resolution, I literally took it directly from my Vita and posted it. And then I even made the comment IN the post that it being bigger than on the screen DOES account for a little bit, but not THAT much.

    You know what? The Vita isn't a fucking PS3, it's not a PC, it's not a iPad. It's a fucking Vita, and it has its limits. If you went into it thinking it was more than it is, that's on you, not on any developer or the manufacturer. I'm sorry that you haven't picked up on the proper context of the viewing of the game in question.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Death Groupie Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Henroid wrote: »
    I was just about to go through the trouble of taking a screenshot of a game and then increasing it in size by 1.5x, post it, and go, "OMG THIS GAME IS SHIT GRAPHIXXX"

    Then I realized the effort would be wasted because this whole fucking thing is stupid. For exactly the reason Scottsman put it. What matters is seeing the fucking game in action on the intended screen. If you can somehow derive that quality from a still shot that is blown up on your PC monitor and also not in motion, you must be some level of genius artist that we haven't seen around here, or you're actually just a bullshit-artist that's whining about things for the sake of whining.

    I'm in a bad mood and probably coming across really harsh. Sorry. But goddamn it, for serious, how do these things not cross your mind when you look at screenshots / videos that aren't on the device in question? THIS SONG BASED ON STEREO EFFECTS SUCKS ON MY MONO OUTPUT, THEREFORE THE SONG SUCKS.

    Except I didn't blow up a single thing. I posted the screenshot at its native resolution, I literally took it directly from my Vita and posted it. And then I even made the comment IN the post that it being bigger than on the screen DOES account for a little bit, but not THAT much.

    Actually, the size difference depends greatly on the size of the monitor the person is viewing it on, as well as the resolution. How much it accounts for making the image shittier will probably vary from person to person.

    Undead Scottsman on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Guys I have an idea. Let's complain that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 on the NES was a shitty port of the arcade game because you can see the pixels.

    Edit - To be honest, Spaniard's sentiment would be radically more sane if his position was, "We're almost there, to the point of handheld devices having perfect fidelity ports of their console counterparts." That would be a fair observation. It would note that the graphics are still a tad off, but compared to 6 years ago, by god this is great stuff. But no, instead, the game is a shit port because of that slight imperfection, which everyone in the world expects and doesn't slight anyone over.

    Henroid on
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Henroid wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I was just about to go through the trouble of taking a screenshot of a game and then increasing it in size by 1.5x, post it, and go, "OMG THIS GAME IS SHIT GRAPHIXXX"

    Then I realized the effort would be wasted because this whole fucking thing is stupid. For exactly the reason Scottsman put it. What matters is seeing the fucking game in action on the intended screen. If you can somehow derive that quality from a still shot that is blown up on your PC monitor and also not in motion, you must be some level of genius artist that we haven't seen around here, or you're actually just a bullshit-artist that's whining about things for the sake of whining.

    I'm in a bad mood and probably coming across really harsh. Sorry. But goddamn it, for serious, how do these things not cross your mind when you look at screenshots / videos that aren't on the device in question? THIS SONG BASED ON STEREO EFFECTS SUCKS ON MY MONO OUTPUT, THEREFORE THE SONG SUCKS.

    Except I didn't blow up a single thing. I posted the screenshot at it's native resolution, I literally took it directly from my Vita and posted it. And then I even made the comment IN the post that it being bigger than on the screen DOES account for a little bit, but not THAT much.

    You know what? The Vita isn't a fucking PS3, it's not a PC, it's not a iPad. It's a fucking Vita, and it has its limits. If you went into it thinking it was more than it is, that's on you, not on any developer or the manufacturer. I'm sorry that you haven't picked up on the proper context of the viewing of the game in question.

    Except it is an iPad, in fact it's two of them, it's twice as powerful as an iPad2. Nobody truly knows the Vita's limits yet, but what people know for sure is that this game is not just laughably under them, but pathetically so. Are you closing your mind to the fact that there are aspects of this game that are literally near PSP level when we have games on the Vita that are flat out near PS3 level?

    Not to mention that the marketing for this game is flat out no hyperbole illegal in some countries, is there nothing to be said for purposefully deceiving your customers?

    The_Spaniard on
    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow YRP...in position It's showtime, girls.Registered User regular
    Guek wrote: »
    Is redbox pretty popular for game rentals? I know they tag-teamed with Netflix to kill off hollywood video and fatally wound blockbuster, but I never heard whether or not they gained any traction in the game rental space.

    Redbox is the best for game rentals

    Games I know will probably be bad but still kinda want to play for some reason? It's nice to drop, say, $8 on it for four nights or so, definitely enough to get through a game. They've mostly been stinkers, to be fair (things like Prototype 2, Dead Island), but I'm thankful to the service for letting me finish good games that I don't want to drop full price on (like The Darkness II)

    Shame about Max Payne 3 being on two discs. I have to ask - why? I mean, Max Payne 3? That shit will be what, eight hours at most? PS3 and Blu-ray is looking pretty awesome at the moment in comparison.

    kTNzrVi.png?2
    Disasterrific! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    I do no more than simply ask you people defending the graphics or saying they don't matter to look at the publicity screenshot that TSR posted and the exact copy I posted directly off the system and tell me that level of misrepresentation is acceptable. And then for bonus points tell me how a port that looks like that is acceptable compared to other ports already on the system that look several standard deviations better and pretty damn close to their console counterparts. Not to mention the fact that I could post some screenshots of PSP fighting games where the characters look about that if not maybe a little better.

    As someone who is an outsider to the debate, they looked exactly the same. Like sure, yours was more pixelly when blown up, but when seen at the same size, they looked pretty identical.

    And for a portable port, it looks pretty great!

    huntresssig.jpg
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    I do no more than simply ask you people defending the graphics or saying they don't matter to look at the publicity screenshot that TSR posted and the exact copy I posted directly off the system and tell me that level of misrepresentation is acceptable. And then for bonus points tell me how a port that looks like that is acceptable compared to other ports already on the system that look several standard deviations better and pretty damn close to their console counterparts. Not to mention the fact that I could post some screenshots of PSP fighting games where the characters look about that if not maybe a little better.

    As someone who is an outsider to the debate, they looked exactly the same. Like sure, yours was more pixelly when blown up, but when seen at the same size, they looked pretty identical.

    And for a portable port, it looks pretty great!
    Aliasing and texture quality, those things don't change if a screen is blown up or not, just how easy it is to notice.

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    Arivia wrote: »
    I do no more than simply ask you people defending the graphics or saying they don't matter to look at the publicity screenshot that TSR posted and the exact copy I posted directly off the system and tell me that level of misrepresentation is acceptable. And then for bonus points tell me how a port that looks like that is acceptable compared to other ports already on the system that look several standard deviations better and pretty damn close to their console counterparts. Not to mention the fact that I could post some screenshots of PSP fighting games where the characters look about that if not maybe a little better.

    As someone who is an outsider to the debate, they looked exactly the same. Like sure, yours was more pixelly when blown up, but when seen at the same size, they looked pretty identical.

    And for a portable port, it looks pretty great!
    Aliasing and texture quality, those things don't change if a screen is blown up or not, just how easy it is to notice.

    Well, aliasing does change because you aren't working with remotely the same set of pixels or representation to anti-alias. Either way, you made a crap shoot of an argument and got called out on it.

    huntresssig.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Hey guys, it would be nice if we didn't get this thread taken away, if that's alright?

    camo_sig2.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    I do no more than simply ask you people defending the graphics or saying they don't matter to look at the publicity screenshot that TSR posted and the exact copy I posted directly off the system and tell me that level of misrepresentation is acceptable. And then for bonus points tell me how a port that looks like that is acceptable compared to other ports already on the system that look several standard deviations better and pretty damn close to their console counterparts. Not to mention the fact that I could post some screenshots of PSP fighting games where the characters look about that if not maybe a little better.

    As someone who is an outsider to the debate, they looked exactly the same. Like sure, yours was more pixelly when blown up, but when seen at the same size, they looked pretty identical.

    And for a portable port, it looks pretty great!
    Aliasing and texture quality, those things don't change if a screen is blown up or not, just how easy it is to notice.

    Well, aliasing does change because you aren't working with remotely the same set of pixels or representation to anti-alias. Either way, you made a crap shoot of an argument and got called out on it.
    I just copied the press shot to my computer and upressed it to the same size as the screenshot I posted just to look at them side by side and the texture quality was still much better and the overall detail in everything was quite pronounced.

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote: »
    Those visuals are an abomination. Vita fans who screamed about how amazing the Vita games looked are now using the good old fashion argument of saying graphics don't matter or trying to pass off fake screens as the real deal.

    Reminds me of Baghdad Bob.

    Actually, the most common argument I've seen is "what should you expect, it's a handheld", despite the Vita marketing itself as not having to compromise a game to make it handheld.

    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Hey guys, it would be nice if we didn't get this thread taken away, if that's alright?

    You're right, I'm sorry everyone.

    I didn't weigh in on that Redbox thing. So, first disc only from them right? This is one of the services that helped topple Blockbuster? Because that's a hell of an angle to play from the big blue rental company.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    I do no more than simply ask you people defending the graphics or saying they don't matter to look at the publicity screenshot that TSR posted and the exact copy I posted directly off the system and tell me that level of misrepresentation is acceptable. And then for bonus points tell me how a port that looks like that is acceptable compared to other ports already on the system that look several standard deviations better and pretty damn close to their console counterparts. Not to mention the fact that I could post some screenshots of PSP fighting games where the characters look about that if not maybe a little better.

    As someone who is an outsider to the debate, they looked exactly the same. Like sure, yours was more pixelly when blown up, but when seen at the same size, they looked pretty identical.

    And for a portable port, it looks pretty great!
    Aliasing and texture quality, those things don't change if a screen is blown up or not, just how easy it is to notice.

    Well, aliasing does change because you aren't working with remotely the same set of pixels or representation to anti-alias. Either way, you made a crap shoot of an argument and got called out on it.
    I just copied the press shot to my computer and upressed it to the same size as the screenshot I posted just to look at them side by side and the texture quality was still much better and the overall detail in everything was quite pronounced.

    wait

    let me get this straight

    you're arguing that your screenshot taken at a larger resolution shows more detail than another screenshot, which you sourced at a lower resolution and proceeded to linearly upsample. (in other words, you doubled the pixels of one image and may or may not have had a sampling algorithm take a guess at "maybe that pixel should be less brown when bigger.")

    yes, that follows basic rules about digital image manipulation and says nothing about the actual data of either image.

    huntresssig.jpg
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    I do no more than simply ask you people defending the graphics or saying they don't matter to look at the publicity screenshot that TSR posted and the exact copy I posted directly off the system and tell me that level of misrepresentation is acceptable. And then for bonus points tell me how a port that looks like that is acceptable compared to other ports already on the system that look several standard deviations better and pretty damn close to their console counterparts. Not to mention the fact that I could post some screenshots of PSP fighting games where the characters look about that if not maybe a little better.

    As someone who is an outsider to the debate, they looked exactly the same. Like sure, yours was more pixelly when blown up, but when seen at the same size, they looked pretty identical.

    And for a portable port, it looks pretty great!
    Aliasing and texture quality, those things don't change if a screen is blown up or not, just how easy it is to notice.

    Well, aliasing does change because you aren't working with remotely the same set of pixels or representation to anti-alias. Either way, you made a crap shoot of an argument and got called out on it.
    I just copied the press shot to my computer and upressed it to the same size as the screenshot I posted just to look at them side by side and the texture quality was still much better and the overall detail in everything was quite pronounced.

    wait

    let me get this straight

    you're arguing that your screenshot taken at a larger resolution shows more detail than another screenshot, which you sourced at a lower resolution and proceeded to linearly upsample. (in other words, you doubled the pixels of one image and may or may not have had a sampling algorithm take a guess at "maybe that pixel should be less brown when bigger.")

    yes, that follows basic rules about digital image manipulation and says nothing about the actual data of either image.

    No I'm saying the reverse.

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo Nice day for a Waa WeddingRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    This is the last time I'm coming in here to warn people.

    I come in here, see Henroid busting out the ALL CAPS as his contribution to what is admittedly an already stupid fucking discussion. Oh, and a gif of Elmo on a kiddy toilet.

    No warnings next time. It's going to be infractions.

    0SZEg7b.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow YRP...in position It's showtime, girls.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Hey guys, it would be nice if we didn't get this thread taken away, if that's alright?

    You're right, I'm sorry everyone.

    I didn't weigh in on that Redbox thing. So, first disc only from them right? This is one of the services that helped topple Blockbuster? Because that's a hell of an angle to play from the big blue rental company.

    I think it's perfectly okay. They're warning you about it beforehand. If you want to pay to only play half a game, that is certainly your right. I would happily take the money of the foolish.

    Or people who checked it out for one day, decided they hated it and returned it promptly.

    kTNzrVi.png?2
    Disasterrific! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    I do no more than simply ask you people defending the graphics or saying they don't matter to look at the publicity screenshot that TSR posted and the exact copy I posted directly off the system and tell me that level of misrepresentation is acceptable. And then for bonus points tell me how a port that looks like that is acceptable compared to other ports already on the system that look several standard deviations better and pretty damn close to their console counterparts. Not to mention the fact that I could post some screenshots of PSP fighting games where the characters look about that if not maybe a little better.

    As someone who is an outsider to the debate, they looked exactly the same. Like sure, yours was more pixelly when blown up, but when seen at the same size, they looked pretty identical.

    And for a portable port, it looks pretty great!
    Aliasing and texture quality, those things don't change if a screen is blown up or not, just how easy it is to notice.

    Well, aliasing does change because you aren't working with remotely the same set of pixels or representation to anti-alias. Either way, you made a crap shoot of an argument and got called out on it.
    I just copied the press shot to my computer and upressed it to the same size as the screenshot I posted just to look at them side by side and the texture quality was still much better and the overall detail in everything was quite pronounced.

    wait

    let me get this straight

    you're arguing that your screenshot taken at a larger resolution shows more detail than another screenshot, which you sourced at a lower resolution and proceeded to linearly upsample. (in other words, you doubled the pixels of one image and may or may not have had a sampling algorithm take a guess at "maybe that pixel should be less brown when bigger.")

    yes, that follows basic rules about digital image manipulation and says nothing about the actual data of either image.

    No I'm saying the reverse.

    Okay. Slightly less stupid, but the same still applies. None of what you're doing is comparable to each other, because you don't have any images of the same resolution, the underlying actual sources, or anything beyond a feeling about a low-resolution image without any idea how it was created. There are so many variables you cannot possibly account for that you are making a simply farcical argument that is making you look like a silly goose for even suggesting it is comparable.

    huntresssig.jpg
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    This is the last time I'm coming in here to warn people.

    I come in here, see Henroid busting out the ALL CAPS as his contribution to what is admittedly an already stupid fucking discussion. Oh, and a gif of Elmo on a kiddy toilet.

    No warnings next time. It's going to be infractions.
    Raz then considering this topic of discussion has inspired multiple pages of talk across multiple threads, might I have permission to make a thread about it so we can contain all the colloquy to a single place?
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    I do no more than simply ask you people defending the graphics or saying they don't matter to look at the publicity screenshot that TSR posted and the exact copy I posted directly off the system and tell me that level of misrepresentation is acceptable. And then for bonus points tell me how a port that looks like that is acceptable compared to other ports already on the system that look several standard deviations better and pretty damn close to their console counterparts. Not to mention the fact that I could post some screenshots of PSP fighting games where the characters look about that if not maybe a little better.

    As someone who is an outsider to the debate, they looked exactly the same. Like sure, yours was more pixelly when blown up, but when seen at the same size, they looked pretty identical.

    And for a portable port, it looks pretty great!
    Aliasing and texture quality, those things don't change if a screen is blown up or not, just how easy it is to notice.

    Well, aliasing does change because you aren't working with remotely the same set of pixels or representation to anti-alias. Either way, you made a crap shoot of an argument and got called out on it.
    I just copied the press shot to my computer and upressed it to the same size as the screenshot I posted just to look at them side by side and the texture quality was still much better and the overall detail in everything was quite pronounced.

    wait

    let me get this straight

    you're arguing that your screenshot taken at a larger resolution shows more detail than another screenshot, which you sourced at a lower resolution and proceeded to linearly upsample. (in other words, you doubled the pixels of one image and may or may not have had a sampling algorithm take a guess at "maybe that pixel should be less brown when bigger.")

    yes, that follows basic rules about digital image manipulation and says nothing about the actual data of either image.

    No I'm saying the reverse.

    Okay. Slightly less stupid, but the same still applies. None of what you're doing is comparable to each other, because you don't have any images of the same resolution, the underlying actual sources, or anything beyond a feeling about a low-resolution image without any idea how it was created. There are so many variables you cannot possibly account for that you are making a simply farcical argument that is making you look like a silly goose for even suggesting it is comparable.
    I won't disagree with you, it was a basic comparison, but it doesn't ameliorate the fact that their publicity shots were upscaled, texture smoothed, anti-aliased, and better textured than the game even looks on the Vita.

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Hey guys, it would be nice if we didn't get this thread taken away, if that's alright?

    You're right, I'm sorry everyone.

    I didn't weigh in on that Redbox thing. So, first disc only from them right? This is one of the services that helped topple Blockbuster? Because that's a hell of an angle to play from the big blue rental company.

    I think it's perfectly okay. They're warning you about it beforehand. If you want to pay to only play half a game, that is certainly your right. I would happily take the money of the foolish.

    Or people who checked it out for one day, decided they hated it and returned it promptly.

    The warning has to be like, really big though. As someone who has experience working in food service of various types, you'd be surprised how stupid people are to not notice bold text that's right there in front of them. Not tiny fineprint, they just don't even read things. The bottom line is, despite the warning, people are going to miss it and flip their shit.

    I just see it as super weird, in practice. If there was no warning about it, it'd be an issue. But it's simply just a weird hitch.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    I do no more than simply ask you people defending the graphics or saying they don't matter to look at the publicity screenshot that TSR posted and the exact copy I posted directly off the system and tell me that level of misrepresentation is acceptable. And then for bonus points tell me how a port that looks like that is acceptable compared to other ports already on the system that look several standard deviations better and pretty damn close to their console counterparts. Not to mention the fact that I could post some screenshots of PSP fighting games where the characters look about that if not maybe a little better.

    As someone who is an outsider to the debate, they looked exactly the same. Like sure, yours was more pixelly when blown up, but when seen at the same size, they looked pretty identical.

    And for a portable port, it looks pretty great!
    Aliasing and texture quality, those things don't change if a screen is blown up or not, just how easy it is to notice.

    Well, aliasing does change because you aren't working with remotely the same set of pixels or representation to anti-alias. Either way, you made a crap shoot of an argument and got called out on it.
    I just copied the press shot to my computer and upressed it to the same size as the screenshot I posted just to look at them side by side and the texture quality was still much better and the overall detail in everything was quite pronounced.

    wait

    let me get this straight

    you're arguing that your screenshot taken at a larger resolution shows more detail than another screenshot, which you sourced at a lower resolution and proceeded to linearly upsample. (in other words, you doubled the pixels of one image and may or may not have had a sampling algorithm take a guess at "maybe that pixel should be less brown when bigger.")

    yes, that follows basic rules about digital image manipulation and says nothing about the actual data of either image.

    No I'm saying the reverse.

    Okay. Slightly less stupid, but the same still applies. None of what you're doing is comparable to each other, because you don't have any images of the same resolution, the underlying actual sources, or anything beyond a feeling about a low-resolution image without any idea how it was created. There are so many variables you cannot possibly account for that you are making a simply farcical argument that is making you look like a silly goose for even suggesting it is comparable.
    I won't disagree with you, it was a basic comparison, but it doesn't ameliorate the fact that their publicity shots were upscaled, texture smoothed, anti-aliased, and better textured than the game even looks on the Vita.

    Except you have no proof of this. No idea, even, no critical standpoint to prove this. You have a "feeling" without any true comparison. It's terrible critical work, and you should drop it before you make even more of a silly goose of yourself.

    huntresssig.jpg
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Hey guys, it would be nice if we didn't get this thread taken away, if that's alright?

    You're right, I'm sorry everyone.

    I didn't weigh in on that Redbox thing. So, first disc only from them right? This is one of the services that helped topple Blockbuster? Because that's a hell of an angle to play from the big blue rental company.

    I think it's perfectly okay. They're warning you about it beforehand. If you want to pay to only play half a game, that is certainly your right. I would happily take the money of the foolish.

    Or people who checked it out for one day, decided they hated it and returned it promptly.

    The warning has to be like, really big though. As someone who has experience working in food service of various types, you'd be surprised how stupid people are to not notice bold text that's right there in front of them. Not tiny fineprint, they just don't even read things. The bottom line is, despite the warning, people are going to miss it and flip their shit.

    I just see it as super weird, in practice. If there was no warning about it, it'd be an issue. But it's simply just a weird hitch.

    Seems like it would make the most sense to either simply not have 360 versions for rental or have both discs present in the rental cases that are distributed. But the latter probably isn't possible because it would entail producing and entirely new case to house two discs or reprogramming all RedBox dispensaries to hand out 2 separate cases for every rental. That's way too much work for a single game, so you'd think the reasonable thing to do would be to just not offer it at all.

  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo Nice day for a Waa WeddingRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Spaniard, what kind of thread? Isn't there already a Mortal Kombat thread floating around?

    0SZEg7b.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow YRP...in position It's showtime, girls.Registered User regular
    I really don't get why they're making this exception for Max Payne 3, of all things

    Is the buzz around this game really big at all? The first two games weren't exactly huge sellers. Even here on these boards, it seems Max Payne 3 threads float up to the first page once in a while and then sink slowly back to the depths.

    They didn't do this with Mass Effect 3, which, I mean, I figure that would be the big game where they make exceptions to rules.

    kTNzrVi.png?2
    Disasterrific! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Spaniard, what kind of thread? Isn't there already a Mortal Kombat thread floating around?

    A thread to discuss the Vita port and its graphics, since the quality of the port has garnered so much discussion. There may be an old MK thread floating around, but I haven't seen it in forever, and I just did a search for "Mortal Kombat" on the forums and went back 5 pages without seeing the thread before giving up.

    The_Spaniard on
    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo Nice day for a Waa WeddingRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    If you want to make a thread ABOUT the MK game, with a good OP and everything, then go ahead.

    If you want a place where people yell at each other over a screenshot, then no.

    0SZEg7b.png
  • skeldareskeldare Time for adventure! Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I really don't get why they're making this exception for Max Payne 3, of all things

    Is the buzz around this game really big at all? The first two games weren't exactly huge sellers. Even here on these boards, it seems Max Payne 3 threads float up to the first page once in a while and then sink slowly back to the depths.

    They didn't do this with Mass Effect 3, which, I mean, I figure that would be the big game where they make exceptions to rules.

    From what I understand, they're doing it for all multi disc games. Mass Effect 3 isn't available on Redbox according to their website.

    This is what it actually says on the site:
    ONLY DISC 1 AVAILABLE. DISC 1 INCLUDES THE FIRST HALF OF SINGLE PLAYER GAME AND THE MULTIPLAYER PORTION OF THE GAME. For Max Payne, the tragedies that took his loved ones years ago are wounds that refuse to heal. No longer a cop, close to washed up and addicted to pain killers, Max takes a job in São Paulo, Brazil, protecting the family of wealthy real estate mogul Rodrigo Branco, in an effort to finally escape his troubled past. But as events spiral out of his control, Max Payne finds himself alone on the streets of an unfamiliar city, desperately searching for the truth and fighting for a way out. Featuring cutting edge shooting mechanics for precision gunplay, advanced new Bullet Time® and Shootdodge™ effects, full integration of Natural Motion’s Euphoria Character Behavior system for lifelike movement and a dark and twisted story, Max Payne 3 is a seamless, highly detailed, cinematic experience from Rockstar Games.

    skeldare on
    Wii U and 3DS Codes
    idcard.php?type=3&style=1&name=skeldare&name2=1848-1663-9345
    Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Stylin' Profilin'Registered User regular
    DmC seems like a lowball, imo. Resident Evil: ORC hit 2 million with an almost universally negative reception. DmC's initial hostile reception is mellowing, seems the devs have listened and lightened the tone somewhat, and the gameplay is looking pretty great. Got a feeling it's going to be a "oh we were wrong" at release and score high.

    camo_sig2.png
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I just checked Redbox's site and not only do they have a pretty tiny 360 selection (16 games currently), none of them besides Max Payne has multiple discs. All of the 360 games I know that have multiple discs are RPGs (FF13, ME3, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey, Last Remnant) and their RPG section is just FF13-2 and Skyrim, both with one disc. My guess is they're trying out just renting the first disc to see if it'd work and with the backlash it looks like in the future they just plain won't rent any multidisc games at all.

  • AthenorAthenor Registered User regular
    I'm more surprised that the software can't be programmed for multiple disks.

    Yes, I understand the theory of redbox: The rentals are stored on spindles, then put in a case and slid out the front of the unit. Then when you return them, they reverse the process (or some attendant does that).

    But ignoring the fact that having multiple disks would mean 1 less rental option, couldn't they just flag the software to a "Rent One Get One Free" scenario or something?


    Also, I wonder if THQ is paying Redbox anything to carry the game.

    fCew0YJ.jpg
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Zhu-Li, do the thing! Registered User regular
    I'm a little surprised at the relatively low estimate for Dragon's Dogma... wasn't that game supposed to be absurdly expensive to develop?

    And I'm surprised no one's rubbed my face in Sonic Generations selling 1.8 million, so I guess I'll have to do it myself.

    "Hey Cloudeagle! Way to suck! You couldn't estimate the number of M&Ms in a fun-sized bag!"

    Wonder how much of that 1.8 million came from Steam.

    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And I'm surprised no one's rubbed my face in Sonic Generations selling 1.8 million, so I guess I'll have to do it myself.

    "Hey Cloudeagle! Way to suck! You couldn't estimate the number of M&Ms in a fun-sized bag!"

    Wonder how much of that 1.8 million came from Steam.

    There's not much to rub in though. I mean, some people were saying that Sonic Generations was a complete bomb and that's not true. On the other hand, it did sell less than other recent Sonic games and chances are a lot of those sales were on Steam where the price is less than on the consoles (both the default price and through limited-time sales).

    RainbowDespair on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    Like I said earlier, I think 1.5 million is a bit on the low end for Dragon's Dogma. Though it is a new IP, I think if word of mouth gets out about it it could do pretty well.

  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Considering Sonic Colors did 2.5+ Million on the Wii alone I'd say not making a Dimps port of generations probably bit them in the ass something fierce.

    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Zhu-Li, do the thing! Registered User regular
    Considering Sonic Colors did 2.5+ Million on the Wii alone I'd say not making a Dimps port of generations probably bit them in the ass something fierce.

    I can understand there would be a fair amount of extra work involved, but yeah, not making a Wii version was insane.

    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Guek wrote: »
    Is redbox pretty popular for game rentals? I know they tag-teamed with Netflix to kill off hollywood video and fatally wound blockbuster, but I never heard whether or not they gained any traction in the game rental space.

    Redbox is the best for game rentals

    Games I know will probably be bad but still kinda want to play for some reason? It's nice to drop, say, $8 on it for four nights or so, definitely enough to get through a game. They've mostly been stinkers, to be fair (things like Prototype 2, Dead Island), but I'm thankful to the service for letting me finish good games that I don't want to drop full price on (like The Darkness II)

    Shame about Max Payne 3 being on two discs. I have to ask - why? I mean, Max Payne 3? That shit will be what, eight hours at most? PS3 and Blu-ray is looking pretty awesome at the moment in comparison.

    I'm glad to see Redbox at least having the first disk. It has been annoying to see a PS3 version of a game but not 360 because of multiple disks.

    I agree with Redbox and having fun playing sub par games. Also, their app is great for seeing which kiosk has which game/movie. Last time a new game came out that I wanted I used the app to see which kiosk to stop at on my way home from work.

This discussion has been closed.