As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nic's thread now taking requests [NSFW]

NicNic Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Artist's Corner
Long wall of text shortened. I draw stuff and I work to improve all the time. Examples below!

scan0062.jpg

scan0064.jpg

scan0067.jpg

scan0068.jpg
I wanted to play with the idea of tone conveyed with a single colour. Fun fact: the red guy's face has tone to try and distract from the poor structure. It didn't work.

arms1.jpg
I've started a thing as suggested by ctrl+paint's Draw 100 video. As you can see, my latent racism rears its ugly head once again.

scan0076-1.jpg

Some things I need to improve on overall:
Forms: using shapes as an underdrawing to properly convey a subject and understand the structure. Symmetry is a big issue in my stuff.
Lines: make sure to draw with clean strokes and properly learn line weight.
Perspective: another thing I've avoided until not too long ago.
Tone and shading: it's not quite as important as form and line weigh, but if those two are correct, but a form is poorly shaded, you'll know instantly.
Everything else: nuff said
Slowing the fuck down: I get pretty eager to put the lines on the page, and often I end up with a form that is way off from what it should be, you can see it in a lot of the above images, and it's something I'm slowly starting to improve. I'm undisciplined as fuuuuuck.

Bonus points if you actually read this far down, I appreciate any advice you may have and will work to improve on things based on your feedback.

Nic on

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    all your faces look a bit skewed to one or another direction, the direction (to the left or right) is actually relative. I would say, be aware of that the next time you draw, and it may sound silly, but check your posture when drawing, that might do the trick for that specific issue.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thanks fantomas (the fantankengine?), I've got a nice elevated desk somewhere behind me under all my old notes and useless crap I need to find a home for, I should probably use that instead of my lap. I think you're right in that it's postural, or where my vantage point is relative to what I'm drawing, because I don't think I have that issue as much when using my tablet.

Nic on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    did you have more fun imagining the Mr. T character narrating these than drawing? be honest.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    edited April 2012
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    did you have more fun imagining the Mr. T character narrating these than drawing? be honest.

No...

Okay, maybe...

Yeah. I did.

Also, this is my first attempt at painting texture spheres. Now I know there's varied opinion on using photoshop brushes that aren't the basic one, but I like to use a balance of different brushes and brush settings. I feel like I did a decent job on the rock sphere, but I might fine tune the 'down' sphere.

Untitled-1-1.png

EDIT Also: shout out to Eggy Toast because that's totally his photo I ref'd

Nic on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    physical impossibilities aside, I'd say the furball looks pretty spot-on. Only thing I'd suggest is pushing the contrast, specifically the high end.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    edited April 2012
    So I went to my very first life drawing session today, it was fun and I'm going to keep going back every week.
    We started with a few gesture poses, but I was still getting warmed up, so I won't share those ones.

We moved into 20 minute poses which I'll post in order.

1) The proportions are off on this one, for sure, I was still a bit nervous, I didn't think 20 minutes was going to be enough time at that point so I kind of rushed:
    scan0077-1.jpg

2) This one was pretty okay:
    scan0078-1.jpg

3) I rushed this one a bit, the eyes are uneven mostly because he was moving on to the next pose so I didn't want to waste any more time with it:
    scan0079.jpg

4) this one I felt was the strongest of all of them, I took a bit of extra time to straighten things out and add a little bit of tone:
    scan0080.jpg

Nic on
    Dude, your first lesson and you had to draw cock? Thats just not right.

PS: The one sitting on the chair, facing to the right looks awesome

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Dude, your first lesson and you had to draw cock? Thats just not right.

Hahaha, yeah it's fine though, I don't know how to describe it, but when you're drawing the part of your brain that goes 'aw gross naked middle aged dude' gets tuned out. As much as I hope there's a female model next week (because I want the experience of drawing the live female form, obviously!), I don't really mind either way, it's all for drawing experience.

Also thanks! I think the sitting poses turned out the best.

Did these tonight, plus a few gestures that I won't share.

scan0083.jpg

scan0085.jpg

scan0082.jpg

scan0084.jpg

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    suite. Posting something just to post something.

really like the 25 min study from 10 april.

I'ma watch this thread now.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Haha nice hat at the 15 min one.
    Also, when drawing hair try to just shade shapes in the hair where it's "generally dark" instead of trying to insinuate hair with an excess of lines. It's much quicker and works a lot better.

Thanks guys!
    I'll keep that advice in mind on Tuesday night, m3nace. I'm really enjoying life drawing, and I feel like it's helping me immensely.
    Funny and strange story about the model: she had her seven year old daughter there with her. She was very well behaved and played DS in the other room. Kinda awkward.

• stinkyfingersstinkyfingers Registered User regular
    nice man, your improving nicely. i myself need to do some textur spheres. they come in handy when painting textures on 3d.

Thanks, fingers! (or should I call you stinky?)

Here's the sketch of Communist Superman that I put in the doodle thread.

comradesuperman2.png

I'm going to Life Drawing shortly and then I'll be back to plan out a two page comic. Which I'll try and post progress on tonight for crits.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    the jump in quality from the drawings in your OP some of those life drawings is quite impressive

there are still spots where the drawing gets awkward - odd angles on parts of the body that you may not be used to, proportions on faces (it seems like you might have more trouble drawing women, which i totally sympathize with) but when i see something like the face on that guy who's facing right, i am totally confident that you're going to be producing consistently excellent stuff really soon

like that guy's whole head is just excellent. i keep looking at it with enjoyment.

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Great to see that you're having fun in a life drawing class! It looks like you have a good sense of capturing the gesture and personality of the poses, which is one of the most important things. Trying to keep your drawing cohesive in terms of proportions and everything else comes with time. Are these sessions instructed?

Nope, they're just drop-in workshops that are all laissez-faire, we throw on some tunes and chat between drawing poses. I was super attracted to the model tonight, which I didn't think would be a factor. She was gorgeous. Luckily I didn't get any boners! I am such a creep!

scan0086.jpg
    Note: this next one was 15 minutes and I have no excuse for having drawn it in the top corner of the page. I am a dunce.
    scan0087.jpg

scan0088.jpg

• SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Attractive figure models are such a conundrum. But usually that part of your brain can shut off after you start drawing, which is one of the things people who have never drawn don't quite get.

I really like these man, keep at it. Do you do any quick gestures? I always found starting a session just doing 1 - 5 minute gestures for a while helped make the longer stuff better.

SeraphSword on
    Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
    We start doing one minute gestures, but those aren't my strong suit yet.

edited April 2012
    Nic wrote: »
    We start doing one minute gestures, but those aren't my strong suit yet.

Is this for a class, or just a studio session? In either case, they should be starting with quicker than 1 minute gestures. That helps you look and think and put lines down quicker, which in turn helps the final product. 30 second to 2 minutes are not going to be finished products, and you shouldn't treat them like that. They're to help you warm up, and to help you see better, to make a finished product.

ninjai on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Don't worry if gestures seem hard- they are hard. But you don't need to dismiss them as a warm up either. Since they are such fast little drawings, you can really experiment a lot. Figure out quickly what's important to you about the pose, and try to express yourself by capturing it. So they are hard, but also really fun, an opportunity to just feel that happy drawing feeling (that's probably why you're doing all of this to begin with).

If you're trying to have your drawings resemble to model and the proportions and all of that, here are some things that can help. Always start with a gesture, but don't forget to check that gesture in a few ways. Look up and notice- what points line up vertically? Horizontally? On a curve? Then seeing the angles of these things will help you see how your drawing is off.

For example:
    Nude_58_by_cookiekitty_stock.jpg

Vertically, the point of her chin lines up with the edge of her left breast, and also the crease where her left thigh meets her torso is not that far from this line.
    Horizontally, the creases inside her left elbow and right leg line up.
    You can look at the curve that connects her right ankle to her left knee to her left elbow and left shoulder. Or look at the angle of the line that connects the point of her chin to her left shoulder.
    Etc.

Really there are infinite guidelines you can find on the model, but use ones that you find in order to help you capture the big picture and the proportions of the pose.

I appreciate the advice, lyrium, thanks!

Also ninjai, the gesture poses the models do are usually about 30 seconds give or take, but last time she did more one minute ones.

edited April 2012
    Hey Nic, if you want to work on gestures here's a good site: artsyposes.com/index.
    There are couple other sites like that that give you timed poses, I'll see if I can find my bookmarks for them if you want.

SeraphSword on
    Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
    Don't worry about it, seraph that's a great resource! Thanks a bundle. I have also been using lovecastle.org as of the past little while which has a timer feature.

Hey dudes! I don't want to simply bump my thread here, although it was on the very precipice of being pushed to the second page when I found it!

I will update this post with stuff a little later, I'm about to go out and do some plein air sketches, and the stuff I've drawn lately has been sub par.

REQUESTS
    What I want to do now is draw specific things, so if you have any requests, I will see what I can do.
    Keep it simple, by which I mean one or two subjects, as opposed to whole completed works, but if you have any characters, objects or structures that you'd like to see me draw, I will do a study for you. Basically it helps me more than it helps you, because looking at most of the stuff around here, you guys could draw it better. I'm hungry for improvement and the hardest thing for me is ideas of things to draw, unless it's photo reference or what's sitting on my desk.

Redraw Rob Liefeld's Captain America, but fix his mistakes.

• Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    tumblr_l90s13DfxM1qc40j5o1_500.jpg

Instagram: fadedsneakers
    Ah, Liefeld. Man just looking at it is sapping me of all my strength, how depressing. I shall see what I can do!

I've got a sketch of Cap around here somewhere I'll have to scan it shortly.

Meanwhile, had my fifth life drawing session last night. I decided to use nonphoto blue pencils for the lay-in on the longer poses and then ink with a Staedtler 0.3 pigment liner. I think it worked well.

20 Minutes:
    scan0091.jpg

also 20 minutes:
    scan0090.jpg

30 Min, also I think it was the best of the night:
    scan0089.jpg

edited May 2012
    Annnnnnd Captain america (sans shield because I'm still trying to figure out his positioning and stuff)

First attempt from yesterday:
    capattempt1.jpg

Second attempt from about an hour ago:
    scan0092.jpg

Now I feel like I did a better job on the proportions in yesterday's sketch, the chest looks almost deflated in the one I just did.
    I messed up on the hands of both. I did a nonphoto blue lay in for both of them.

I'll probably take another crack or two at it later on.

Edit: also I feel like his bicep is a too large compared to the deltoid/ shoulder in the second one...
    Now I have to do it again, considering the point was more or less to be more anatomically/proportionally correct than Rob freaking Liefeld. It sounds easier on paper.

Nic on
    edited May 2012

Edit: also I feel like his bicep is a too large compared to the deltoid/ shoulder in the second one...
    Now I have to do it again, considering the point was more or less to be more anatomically/proportionally correct than Rob freaking Liefeld. It sounds easier on paper.

They have this wonderful invention called an eraser. If you feel that something can be better, especially since you're doing the sketch with non photo blue, just erase it, no more time spent than if you just leave it and redraw the whole thing 5 times. Spend more time on completing a single "attempt" and I think you'll find you won't do more than 1. I think the first one looked fine and could have looked good completed.

ninjai on
    edited May 2012
    The problem is that I didn't realize until I had some time away from the sketch. It's no big deal either way, it's not like I feel like it's the most technically advanced thing I've ever drawn or anything, I can always do it again and better.

Edit: The point being I'm not sweating it as a major project or something, not that I'm so amazing that I can identify and resolve all my drawing problems in one or two variations of a sketch. There's always more stuff to sketch and time to sketch it.

Nic on
    ninjai wrote: »

They have this wonderful invention called an eraser. If you feel that something can be better, especially since you're doing the sketch with non photo blue, just erase it, no more time spent than if you just leave it and redraw the whole thing 5 times. Spend more time on completing a single "attempt" and I think you'll find you won't do more than 1. I think the first one looked fine and could have looked good completed.

Thats the exact opposite of what my drawing teacher would say, I will remember his kind words forever "DONT use the eraser, everything you draw will be worthless, so scrap it and do it again, but right."

edited May 2012
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    ninjai wrote: »

Thats the exact opposite of what my drawing teacher would say, I will remember his kind words forever "DONT use the eraser, everything you draw will be worthless, so scrap it and do it again, but right."

All I'm saying is don't waste your time on 15 drawings. Get it right once. It's far less time consuming/frustrating and far more educational. You're not going to get every subject perfect and I don't understand the mentality of redrawing the same picture a several times in a row, then fix what you messed up on in a third or fourth drawing, especially if your goal is a finished piece. Maybe try doing thumbnails of your drawings before you take a crack at the final?

ninjai on
    I like the harmonized approach somewhere between the two that is "don't fucking sweat it because you do it for fun." I get frustrated with my abilities sometimes, yeah, but I've made so much progress that sweating my stuff at this point only serves to stress me out. I can only strive to do better than I did before, if it's not better, then it stays in my sketchbook and nobody has to see it. I do appreciate the outside perspectives though, thanks, dudes!

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Hahaha, "Do it again, but right, y'know, more masterpiecey, make drawings that are brilliant, whew this art teachering is hard I think I might take a little nap."

Yeah, that kind of baffles me. It's like, "Oh! Fuck me, THAT's what I've been missing all this time. I'm just not drawing it right! Well if that doesn't just solve all my problems."

I've had teachers like that, and I'm ashamed to admit that it scared me off art for awhile when I was younger.

I guess the phrase needed context, it was a drawing class with model, and we had 10-15 minutes per pose. So we were "encouraged" not to fix stuff, but to try to learn from mistakes and draw the next one better. And Mustang, yes, that was pretty much the attitude, the teacher was a great artist, but sometimes I doubt his teaching skills, lot of people dropped the class because of his attitude, but the ones that stayed made great progress. So thats what I learned, if its drawing for practice, dont sweat it too much, experiment, learn from the mistakes, and move on to the next one.
    If the end of the drawing is a finished piece, then I guess yes, using eraser, taking your time to render, etc. is the way to go, like Ninjai said, one piece well done instead of doing the exact same thing 10 times.

Now about the drawing itself, if you ARE going to draw it again, I would say, try to loosen up, aside from the anatomy issues, it looks a bit stiff, and as if you struggled with each line... its hard to explain, as if you draw the lines really slow and thinking too much. the exact same drawing could benefit a lot from a more relaxed aproach.

PS: all concepts and ideas posted by me are to be taken as personal opinions wich may NOT reflect the truth about... well, anything.

Well yeah, many people here have radically different opinions, but often the best answers are reached when considering a multitude of viewpoints. Anyway I have to head to work. Here's a half drawn muscular dude I made up as my parting gift, use him well.

scan0094.jpg