Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

How to make the girl feel safe on the streets?

• Lurky McPostLurky McPost Registered User
    edited April 2004
    Tigress wrote:
    Tasers are an iffy area, since they are the equivalent of carrying a live wire in your hand and can seriously fuck someone up. You may want to check with the laws in your area before getting her one.

Tasers ARE iffy, but thats not why.

Pocket tasers are iffy because they don't fucking work. It's all window dressing, go ahead, try one out. "Will drop your attacker in seconds in a pool of urine!" my ass. All they're going to do is piss them off. I got tazed by one in a perfectly good mood and the first thought blasted into my head was "Whoever just did that is going to fucking pay" proceeded by a respectable adrenaline surge. Had I been set on doing that person harm in the first place, harm would most certainly have been done.

Mace will blind, knives will cut, guns will shoot; tasers just shock.

• switchstanceswitchstance Registered User
    edited April 2004
    Purchase pepperspray, a cellphone and read The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker. Goes through how to avoid dangerous situations and people.

You'll be set.

test1.jpg
  • TigressTigress Registered User
    edited April 2004
    Harry B wrote:
    Tigress wrote:
    I would recommend learning some knife-fighting, since you can carry a knife in most places that don't allow guns, but it carries the same stigma that guns do. Unless you are prepared to look someone in the eye and kill him, you're wasting your time and money.

Are you kidding me Tigress? A knife is far easier to turn against someone than a gun and it requires a much higher measure of pyhsical prowess. A knife is a very bad idea.

If you hesitate because you're scared of seeing someone bleed, then it is a bad idea. If you wave it around and hope it will cut somewhere vital, then it is a bad idea. But by deflecting a punch and making a quick swipe across the wrist (just one example), your attacker is going to be too busy staunching his squirting blood to come after you.

Using any weapon effectively requires some amount of training, so that's why I didn't officially recommend knife-fighting, since it requires quite a bit. But since they are easier to obtain and can be carried to more places than a gun, it may be something to look in to.

Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • WormsWorms Registered User
    edited April 2004
    Interesting. Fear is actually a survival skill, I reckon. That and the ability to run. You'd be suprised how fast and how far you can run when you're given a good enough reason.

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Tigress wrote:
    Tasers are an iffy area, since they are the equivalent of carrying a live wire in your hand and can seriously fuck someone up. You may want to check with the laws in your area before getting her one.

Tasers ARE iffy, but thats not why.

Pocket tasers are iffy because they don't fucking work. It's all window dressing, go ahead, try one out. "Will drop your attacker in seconds in a pool of urine!" my ass. All they're going to do is piss them off. I got tazed by one in a perfectly good mood and the first thought blasted into my head was "Whoever just did that is going to fucking pay" proceeded by a respectable adrenaline surge. Had I been set on doing that person harm in the first place, harm would most certainly have been done.

Mace will blind, knives will cut, guns will shoot; tasers just shock.

I second this. I've been tazed, in the left pectoral, and it deadened my left arm a little and gave me kind of a tight neck, but it just pissed me off. Maybe the big wire/dart tazers and air tazers you see work better, but the little stunguns are worth NOTHING.

Some other thoughts:

First off, get her a cell of some kind. Put an emergancy service on speed dial. It's worth it.

Pepper spray: It works allright. One warning: expect to hit youself with it if you use it. Be careful to by a variety that shoots a thin stream like a squirt gun. instead of a cone of fog. . . the cone of fog is bad news indoors and way random outdoors, and was designed more for animals.

Martial arts: Avoid the 'women only' self defense classes where you knee a guy in a big suit in the groin. Have her take a class in escrima, brazilian jiu-jitsu or krav-maga. And remember, if she only takes two classes a week at the Y she won't get good as fast as she'll get confident, allthough the spring any training at all will put in her step will be a deterent of its own.
    Guns:Guns aren't for anyone but people willing to put in the time to be borderline pros. If you have at least 3-5 hours a week to put into shooting and you can get a permit for a gun where you live, and you don't mind the thought of killing someone, a gun might be an option. For the record, I've carried one, and it makes you . . . different.
    Knives:Knives are for pros. It takes a special kind of hate or desperation to stab someone.

The weapon I recommend (which no one has yet mentioned) is the collapsible baton. The heavy duty, spring-out variety with the metal tip. Police carry them now in many places instead of billy clubs. It hurts like hell, it's a nasty shock when you whip it out (heh), it's legal most places, cheap, concealable, easy to use as a layperson of any size larger then 'child', and can be combined with a number of martial arts (ESPECIALLY escrima, as recommended above) for added punch. And they way it works, it slides out as you swing it, so it's a little harder to take away. And even if you get jumped, you still have a short, heavy baton you can use like a sap, fistpack or kobuton.

General physical conditioning is one of the best things. If your area has a sex offender database, pull it up and see how many of them could snap your GF in half like a twig. Scary? Look again and ask yourself how many look like they could run a mile or two.

Which brings us to the most important lesson: Freak spotting. Know your freaks. Know how crime happens. Know where you are and what you're doing. That's number one.

And Tigress, WTF? Seriously. If you are as good with a knife as you imply, you know better then to even put the thought of packing one in an ameteur head.

• IacobusIacobus Registered User
    edited April 2004
    Iacobus wrote:
    Two words: sword stick.

A few more words: Illegal pretty much everywhere.
    Regular canes aren't. And they hurt and incapacitate almost as much with the same technique.
    Yeah, but who's going to say "Oh he jumped me and I fucked him up with this cane?"

A DAMN COOL PERSON, THAT'S WHO.

Shinto wrote:
    Also, I hate America.
    edited April 2004
    S' why I like the baton. S'like a baseball bat that fits in your pocket.

Hey, that's a small PS to the above: NONE of the above suggestions are worth anything if they are in the bottom of a purse.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Why not buy her a pair of trainers and teach her to run? Seriously it is the best thing to do. If you run away you will a) escape any harm at all b) not get caught up in any legal proceedings at all c) not run the risk that whatever weapon you have your assaulter has a bigger one.

Surrender to opponents armed with guns or crossbow type stuff, run away from everyone else. Avoid dark alleys and places of ill repute. Dont go out and get drunk by yourself.

Your puny weapons are useless against me
    edited April 2004
    And Tigress, WTF? Seriously. If you are as good with a knife as you imply, you know better then to even put the thought of packing one in an ameteur head.

I said before that I wouldn't recommend it unless the girl in question was willing to put in the training necessary to use said weapon effectively. The reason I suggested knives as an alternative is because some places (like colleges) won't allow you to carry guns onto the premises, concealed carry permit or not.

Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    It's amazing how many nerds think they are ninjas IRL on this forum.

Pepper spray, thin stream, on her keychain/belt/bra. Make sure she can FEEL in the pitch dark which way the thing is going to spreay.

Knife/Baton is an option if you want to go crazy. A knife is not easy to take away from someone....I dont care how much of a ninja your self defense panflet tells you you are. it takes 2 seconds to put multiple holes in the attacker. Stab dont slash. However many girls (and guys) dont have what it takes to stab someone....so just go with pepper spray.

• bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA
    edited April 2004
    Stabbing also requires close quarters, and it results in blood. Lots of it. Ever since my roommate started working with crackheads, I'm of the opinion that the farther the distance between yourself and a bleeding mugger/rapist/whatever, disabled or not, the better. It's absolutely amazing how much lethal crap a person can have in their bloodstream and still be walking around.

Not allowing a threat to close with you is always the best option. The mace-and-run tactic works extremely well for that.

Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • SabreSabre Registered User
    edited April 2004
    Tigress wrote:
    Guns are generally a bad idea. Not only can they be taken away and used against you...

Can you name a couple of instances where this has happened to a civilian, or provide statistics on how common it is?

I got one for you. In Emporia, VA (a town about 50 miles north of where I live), a man decided to break into this old lady's house. She found him ransacking her stuff, and a struggle broke out. The old lady took the guy's pistol and shot him twice in the chest at point-blank range. Needless to say, all he got from his robbery attempt was a toe tag and a hole in the ground.

By the way, the elderly woman was around 70, IIRC. I'll have to check the paper later to find out.

PAsig.jpg
    SteamID : Harbinger EVE-O: Jarek Dryayen
    edited April 2004
    Tigress wrote:

I said before that I wouldn't recommend it unless the girl in question was willing to put in the training necessary to use said weapon effectively. The reason I suggested knives as an alternative is because some places (like colleges) won't allow you to carry guns onto the premises, concealed carry permit or not.

I'm not singling you out for contention, but I don't know of any places where guns are legal, but not allowed, and knives are legal, but allowed. Most colleges have rules against *weapons*. And I still say knives are only for getting the piss beat out of you or assasinating someone. If you're going to stab somone, you might as well shoot them.

edited April 2004
    I'm not singling you out for contention, but I don't know of any places where guns are legal, but not allowed, and knives are legal, but allowed. Most colleges have rules against *weapons*. And I still say knives are only for getting the piss beat out of you or assasinating someone. If you're going to stab somone, you might as well shoot them.

You tend to get into phenomenally less trouble over a knife than a gun, though, even if neither is allowed. You can kill people with knives just as well as guns, but the chances of someone going on a stabbing spree and leaving nine dead, or holding an entire bar/classroom hostage with a knife, or accidentally stabbing some dude from across a courtyard...well, you get the idea. You can do a lot more damage to random people with a firearm than you can with a knife, so non-cop authorities tend to freak out less if you have one on you.

Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
    edited April 2004
    Well if you're carrying a concealed firearm I really hope you're trained in its use.

As for the knife, it isn't a stupid ninja comment about the Real Ultimate Power shit, the point is to use the fucking thing you need to get up close - if the other person is armed or is stronger or faster then you then you're fucked. Not everyone knows how to use a knife.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2004
    I think you may overestimate the resolve of the average criminal. These guys aren't looking for a fight - they want someone easy to rape or mug or whatever. If I were a criminal, and I tried to attack someone, and he pulled out a knife, I wouldn't get into a tussle and try to steal the weapon. I would say, "Fuck this," and try to find one of the many, many people out there who aren't armed.

Point being, you don't necessarily need to be trained in a weapon for it to have some effect. Merely showing a thug that you have a weapon and are willing to put up a fight could suffice.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    edited April 2004
    Not all attackers want to get their dicks wet. If you have a weapon you must be willing to use it.

edited April 2004
    ElJeffe wrote:
    I think you may overestimate the resolve of the average criminal. These guys aren't looking for a fight - they want someone easy to rape or mug or whatever. If I were a criminal, and I tried to attack someone, and he pulled out a knife, I wouldn't get into a tussle and try to steal the weapon. I would say, "Fuck this," and try to find one of the many, many people out there who aren't armed.

Point being, you don't necessarily need to be trained in a weapon for it to have some effect. Merely showing a thug that you have a weapon and are willing to put up a fight could suffice.

Depends on the mugger. Someone who's jonesing and needs the money in your pocket for a fix is probably not thinking too clearly. The upside, of course, is that they're probably not with it enough to chase you down the street if you take off running. Someone who isn't fucked up will probably be cogent enough to weigh the risk of getting stabbed badly enough to need a doctor against the likelihood that you aren't carrying a bar of gold around with you.

Rogue helicopter?
    edited April 2004

The store I used to work in didn't allow guns on the premises. Even if you had a concealed carry permit, you were asked to leave if you had a gun on you (and someone saw that you were packing). But they didn't say much about knives or other weapons.

It's entirely possible that some colleges would have the same viewpoint, but I admit that I don't know of any.

I'm not a fan of guns, but that's just personal preference.

Kat's Play
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Once upon a time I carried a machete for a while in my trenchcoat.

Good times.

Don't anymore though, easiest way to avoid tards (as a male anyway) is to just walk away.

I myself would believe in the sanctity of a bladed weapon, the simple reason is pulling out a 2 foot long machete on someone can really make them think twice about going anywhere near you. That time with one of my female friends called Jessica when she pulled a knife on some guy following her was truely interesting. He rapidly got away (then again, I wasn't too far away either).

Of course the huge problem with carrying a weapon is it encourages your potential attacker to ALSO pull a weapon.

And we all know that Crocodile Dundee line...

edited April 2004
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Worms wrote:
    Well if you're carrying a concealed firearm I really hope you're trained in its use.

As for the knife, it isn't a stupid ninja comment about the Real Ultimate Power shit, the point is to use the fucking thing you need to get up close - if the other person is armed or is stronger or faster then you then you're fucked. Not everyone knows how to use a knife.

I do have training and a permit, and I had a very legitimate need to carry.
    ( I don't anymore and no longer do on a daily basis)

I have to say, I would lay a bet that you actually underestimate the resolve of the average criminal. It's a mental trend to downgrade what you dislike . . . they comit acts that are 'cowardly,' thus they are cowards. . . right? Not always. At least not in regard to running away from a fight. This is a person that made the decision to hurt someone to get what they want when they got up in the morning. If someone is mugging you or raping you, odds are it's your first mugging, while they have done it more then once. And the thing is, if you were wearing the gun or knife on your hip (LEGAL where I live) you might be a target of less opportunity, but if you pull it on them when they attack, you have suprised them by escalating the violence, and supprising a desperate, antisocial, violent person usually has results that are random at best.

• EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Deusfaux wrote:
    My gf often has to go out along the streets because she lives on campus and doesnt have a car. This is often alone.

Tonight for example, she was honked at by 4 different cars (even a guy on a motorcycle) and she DOES NOT dress with lots of skin showing.'

She really hates that, and she's not even from around here, so she gets really nervous and worries alot about what could happen.

I live quite a ways from her, so I can't always be taking her everywhere.

I was thinking of giving her something to feel more protected.. any ideas?

Anyone know where you can get pepper spray? Do you need a licence? Maybe a pay-as-you-go cellphone?

Any other ideas?
    Bear Spray at any hunting/outdoors store.

cecily
  • ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    i'm going to offer a bit of advice here. This comes from years of studying various martial arts and by so doing, being exposed to people who think an awful lot about combat in all of its forms, which include street combat. Also many ofmy martial arts teachers conduct womens self defense classes on the side, usually for free. So you can judge how qualified I am to say the things that I say.

Here are the most important things to consider:
    1) anyone who suddenly finds themself in a dangerous situation who isnt used to it or hasnt been in one before will likely be so scared that they cant think straight. Even if you think you/your girlfriend/boyfriend is confident, there is at least a risk that they will very nearly freeze up when confronted. Any solution needs to be extremely simple and fool proof.

2) given the right drugs, you could find yourself facing an attacker that will not feel any kind of pain. You could break this mans jaw and have him bleeding from a major artery and he will not even notice. These kinds of attackers can only be dealt with by killing them or removing their ability to fight. Against them knives are useless unless you are able to kill them, guns may also be useless depending on wher eyou hit them. This also goes for canes, batons, using your keys as rakes etc.
    3) You may be attacked by suprise in which case running isn't anoption. You may be attacked so suddenly that before you can react you are already on the ground pinned down. This is FAR from out of the question and you must be prepared to find yourself in this situation.
    4) any kind of solution involing learning a martial art must be expected to take several years to become practical. If you start learning a martial art now and study very very hard, practising at home and goig to 3 2 hour classes a week, you can expect to be to the point where you are adept enough to defend yorself with it no sooner than 1.5 - 2 years from now. The only thing taking a martial arts class will do for you is increase your confidence, which as many have said is a great deterrent. However you need to prepare for a situation which has already gone past deterrence.
    5)People may be infected with something in which case cutting them may put you on deathrow, rather than missing a few teeth etc. Cutting really isn't a good idea.

RECCOMENDATIONS
    I THINK that's everything I had going through my head as I read this. Now here's the only solution that I think covers all of your angles. This solution SHOULD be able to deter ANY type of assailant in any situation given that the person i at least able to function the smallest little bit.

Given that a girl is walking through an area that she feels uncomfortable in on the way to her car, or to her home she should have in her left hand (her off hand) her keys, with the key she needs to open her car/house already picked out. On this keychain should be an activatable siren as was discussed earlier inthis thread. These make a ton of noise and will cause most assailants to boot it. This siren MUST be able to be activated with only one hand and MUST be able to be activated without being able to see it.

Her right hand(good hand) should be in her purse, which is already opened, and should have a can of mace in her hand. This should be the kind with a trigger like a can of compressed air so that you can tell from feel which way it is pointing. It should NOT be the mist kind that are useless on windy days.

If approached by someone that feels threatening to her, she should first warn them to stay back. This is only if the person has not REALLY made any overly threatening moves. If the person then moves closer or proceeds to act in a threatening manner the siren should be activated and mace used. Then the person should run like the blazes.
    Mace should at the very least cause any type of assailant to pause and rub their eyes, and should cause blurry vision afterwards. This should provide enough of an advantage so that someone could run away before being caught. The Siren should also provide enough of a deterrent to anyone thinking straightly. It will also with any luck cause some helpto arrive in the case that your mace failed and you were caught anyway.
    If a person is ambushed without warning then hopefully one of the two arms will be free enough to activate them. If an assailant is on top of you /has you pinned and you manage to mace him/turn on your siren, youSHOULD be able to escape after that distraction. However if you are already inthe position where you are pinned and werecaught by suprise then there is very little you can do beyond this aside from kicking biting screaming and doing anything youcan to get them off you.
    If you are in this position and either your defences didn't work or both your arms were pinned and you believe you are going to be raped then shit yourslef, pissyourself, try to get snot and spit to run down your face. Be as unattractive as possible and tell them that you have aids. It is a last resort but it might be enough.

I really can't think of any scenario that would give you a better chance of escape than the ones i just presented. Obviously the best solution is to not put yourself in a situation where youare at risk, but that is not always an option. Basically if you find yourself in a dangerous area walk as if you are walking a gauntlet. Keep one hand on a weapon and one hand on your key so that you arne't fumbling for it with someone chasing you.

If anyone can find any flaws with what i've said please let me know. This is after all about keeping people safe, so the more effective solution we can some up with the better.

Spoiler:
    I Win SwordfightsProjeckGizzyKetBra
  • Fatghost28Fatghost28 Registered User
    edited April 2004
    In Ontario, you can buy mace as over the counter bear repellent in hunting stores. It's not called mace, but it is.

I assume the same is also true in Alberta.

scea.gif
    Max Damage wrote:
    You know the games industry is fucked six ways to friday when turning a profit just isn't good enough.
  • Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Krav Maga

http://www.answerbag.com/c_view.php/472

Straightforward, taught in many places with classes geared towards women.

what city are you in? I ask because is the danger to her percieved or real?

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil
  • apotheosapotheos Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2004
    Our campus has special programs to provide escorts to anyone who wants one, from anywhere on campus, to anywhere on campus.

If her campus doesn't have one of those, I'd start protesting for one.

猿も木から落ちる
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    That is a pretty good idea, I might propose the idea to OUSA myself.

edited April 2004
    Anyway, about mace--if you use it, don't be surprised if you get some on yourself.

Rogue helicopter?
  • BabyJuneBabyJune Registered User
    edited April 2004
    Mace should at the very least cause any type of assailant to pause and rub their eyes, and should cause blurry vision afterwards.

At very least, yeah. My brother was voluntarily sprayed with pepper spray (he's a writer, he wanted the experience, don't ask), and it was not a good time. There's a brief delay before it really kicks in, and at first he kind of scoffed about it. Shortly after he started scoffing, he was on the ground, rolling around in pain, while friends poured water on his face. It should deter anyone who isn't hopped up on drugs or completely insane.

• poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User
    edited April 2004
    I'm gonna say mace and a stun gun, if she can't feel protected with both then she's paranoid because like stated above mace would stop anyone that isn't hopped up on drugs or completely insane. Then the stun gun is there because if they try to lunge at you and you can't spray them with mace you can hit them in the side with a stun gun, I guarentee you they'll scream and start to go limp. Then if they scream more people come and they'll run off or you can call the cops and you now have a strong team of witnesses.

I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Something that I don't recall seeing in this thread is that you should tell her not to hesitate to defend herself. A lot of times, people will hesitate, especially when it comes down to having to cause the assailant physical harm. One quick moment of hesistation can ensure death. If she has a moment to use the pepper spray--don't stop to think about it, just use it. If she is already pinned down and she gets an arm free just for a moment, don't waste the opportunity by just slapping the guy or something. Do something that counts. For example, go for the eyes. Stick a thumb through his eye. Whatever is possible. If she pauses because she is worried that she could get into trouble for defending herself in certain ways... well, as my grandfather taught my father, who then taught me: You can get out of jail, but you can never get out of the grave.

cecily
  • MillowMillow Registered User
    edited April 2004
    in all seriousness, i dont think there is much that can be done. carrying a hand gun is not very realistic, but maybe something like having her take a self defence course would help?

• RohaqRohaq Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Harry B wrote:
    Back to the orginal topic: has anyone suggested a dog yet? Dogs are one of the best means of protection around.
    Unless it's something like a poodle or a shi'tzu ;)

Dalmatians are apparently quite good; despite their cutesy stereotype (fuck you Disney ;)), they're actually not very friendly dogs with strangers ;P

Spoiler:
    edited April 2004
    Harry B wrote:
    Back to the orginal topic: has anyone suggested a dog yet? Dogs are one of the best means of protection around.

Well, they're not really practical if you're, say, walking back from campus or something like that. Most public campuses don't allow pets unless they're seeing-eye dogs. If you're just walking to walk, they're great, but you can't really take a dog to a party, tie it up outside, and then collect the poor bastard four hours later when you want to walk back home.

Rogue helicopter?
  • FreudiandaveFreudiandave Registered User
    edited September 2004
    I was attending a lecture given by a criminal psychologist, and he gave an analogy of a last resort that could help in some cases (though not all)...

A woman was jogging, when a man jumped out of the bushes and cut her arm. He was on top of her getting ready to do his thing and she started screaming at him "Why did you do this? This hurts! I'm bleeding, you asshole!" and things like that. The attacker lost interest and ran.

This worked for her because she made herself seem like a less desireable target by bringing out her humanity. It won't work in all cases, but if it comes down to it it's something to keep in mind. It's harder to hurt somoene when you can empathize with them, so try to make the attacker empathize with you.

But like I said, this won't always work. Pepper spray and running shoes are much more reliable, but sometimes you get knocked down too fast to use them.

• Critical FailureCritical Failure Registered User
    edited September 2008
    I help teach self defense and there are a few principles that just about anyone can use:

First off the "try not to go alone" advice and the "walk confident" are the two most important (and already mentioned) things anyone could ever tell you about self defense. Most attackers aren't looking for a fight, they;re looking for a victim.

Even so there are people out there who can be determined about attacking anyone, no matter how confident hey look, or even if they are out with friends.

So, a Reality Based Self Defense course is the first thing to start with (RMCAT course is in Colorado if I remember correctly, but everywhere has them). It's a very quick course, typically one to three days where you learn to get over the psychological "freeze" aspect of confrontation (caused by adrenaline dumping into your system in a fight). They will teach you some really simple (and really nasty) self defense techniques to use to get yourself clear of the fight and run the f*ck away.

Beyond that I always recommend Muay Thai to people who want to do a martial art for self defense. Enough nasty stuff (knees and elbows!) that you can hurt someone much bigger than you but enough sport and actual full force throwing of technique that you'll be able to use it.

This just occurred to me. BJJ (brazillian Ju Jitsu) and wrestling (folk, greco, freestyle) get a bit of a bad rap when it comes to self defense, since rolling around on the ground is the last thing you want to do in a street fight. Believe me though, if you get knocked to the ground, then knowing how to fight on the ground (and how to get up safely) can and will save your backside. So if you or your girlfriend are looking at martial arts then a combination of Muay Thai and a grappling art might be a good plan (or an MMA school).

IF you get her a weapon, then she HAS to get training (sorry if I'm going over someone else's point her but it's important), any weapon you aren't completely training (and by that I mean trained to use under pressure) can easily be used against you or just dropped in the heat of a moment.

Thanks

- Andrew

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Pandora's placebo Webcomics Updating M W F.
  • Critical FailureCritical Failure Registered User
    edited September 2008
    Wow...and I just read the last post date on this thing...FAIL.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Pandora's placebo Webcomics Updating M W F.
  • Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User
    edited September 2008
    On-campus escorts, pepper-spray, a rape whistle, and yelling out "Don't touch my baby!" are my suggestions. Aside from that - a real self defense class is almost a must.

• Colt45Colt45 Registered User regular
    If you resort to carrying weapons around with you, you've already lost.
    I disagree. If you get murdered, you've already lost. I carry a gun, but I live in the middle of the crystal meth capital of the United States and my house is broken into occasionally so carrying a gun is a little less crazy for me. Although I think most young ladies would probably feel uncomfortable packing heat, ask her if she would be interested in one of those handheld stun guns. They're expensive but they will do the job without making her feel like Dirty Harry.

• Colt45Colt45 Registered User regular
    Not to mention handguns are almost universally banned at on campus housing(as far as I know),but stun guns aren't.

This discussion has been closed.