As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] They might have forgotten to tell you that you're in the beta.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Fire is going to server me well until my first Fire Immune mob. At which point i'll come crying to someone else to beat it for me.

Or cast Elemental Weakness and laugh all the way to the stash!

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Apparently I've been in the beta of this since September. Who knew? Not this guy.

Installing now.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I've been in the beta of this since last October...

._. Fuck.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It looks alright and I think I've also been invited to beta, but Diablo 3 comes out in a week :(. Gad dammit.

Shadow looks like a D2 assassin, which has me interested.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I've been in the beta about a week or so now. Only played two characters so far, an Archer and a Duelist? Either way neither got very far, was more exploring things and what not. Now that the new patch has dropped I'll give that new class a go.

50433.png?1708759015
    I don't believe they've added the Shadow just yet.

Arthil wrote: »
    I don't believe they've added the Shadow just yet.

Yeah it's in the characters to choose, you just can't select them yet. I heard it was going to happen during Beta weekend?

50433.png?1708759015
  • FinnienFinnien Registered User regular
    Shadow is opened up Friday.

Energy Shield is great when you focus heavily on it. I've heard the best way to treat Evasion is to get the passive skill that converts evasion to armor; since there are actually more evasion passives and higher evasion numbers on armor, you can get a higher armor value than many tanks that way.

A few weeks ago I started up a Firestorm witch, also used two curses (elemental weakness and temporal chains) and occasionally would use Molten Shell for the stuff immune to curses/leaping goatmen. Temporal Chains + Firestorm was absolutely awesome. I was easily soloing chaos at 57, so long as I was careful.

I just started a new guy, a ranger. I'm thinking of going heavy mixed elemental since they added a couple good elemental passives on that side of the tree - use maybe Lightning + added cold + added lightning + passthrough + lesser multiple projectiles for AE, and elemental hit + faster attack + increased crit + increased elemental dmg for single target, then run a couple auras that add elemental damage (hatred/anger/wrath). I may be spreading myself too thin, but it's at least a fun idea.

Of course, on May 15th, PoE gets shelved for a little while...

Finnien - 60 Human Priest
    www.sunderguild.com
    Enjoying myself immensely. Got up to Act 2 and have been playing a Marauder that focuses on one-handed weapons and a shield. Went down Life to Armour Mastery and Heart of the Gladiator, now working my way through melee damage. Not sure yet whether I want to focus on a specific weapon or not. I've basically been using whatever's been handy.

• VoroVoro Registered User regular
    I'm surprised this wasn't bumped today. Open stress test for the weekend is now live. Kill some time until D3!

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    lightning strike witch fun

stab people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZREskP8KvKA

obF2Wuw.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    PLAY THIS COOL GAME DUDES

obF2Wuw.png
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    I have this cool game Tiny, it's jsut look at the sphere grid and not want to bother with. Played a duelist to 16 through the first act without a single skillpoint spent. I like options, but for how big that grid is, that's more than a bit overboard for my taste.

camo_sig.png
    you gotta be one with the skill grid

make love to it

nibble its ears

obF2Wuw.png
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The passive grid thing is really interesting. However, is there any actual difference between +% magic damage and +% elemental damage? Or will both make fireballs/fire traps/cold stuff hit harder?

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    But the grid is civilization. You get so many super bonus'es from going into certain paths!

I decided to go and build the equivilent to the lagomancer from old D2. Theres a spot in the tree to build too that allows you to just plain have more minions, and make them a whole lot hardier. The game changed when I got to that spot.

steam_sig.png
    there is indeed

weapons that do elemental damage will be affected by %elemental damage but not by "spell damage"

obF2Wuw.png
    And spells are not affected by +% elemental damage?

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    This game is pretty neat from the bit I've played of it so far. So sad that D3 comes out in a couple more days.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    And spells are not affected by +% elemental damage?

They are if they deal elemental damage, I think.

they are

obF2Wuw.png
    Ah, very interesting. I would definitely pay for beta access if it was not for d3 being released tuesday :P.

tim discovers righteous fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcm4PEL-dzE

obF2Wuw.png
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    So uh...

FR2SZ-4625A-445QH-WCTHH

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    Free Weekend Still Going! Sign up! Play Cool Game! Get Hooked, Pay 10 Bucks For Permanent Beta Access! Great Capitalisation Escapades! Exclamation Marks!

obF2Wuw.png
  • Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Played the beta for 20 mins or so. It felt a lot more engaging than the diablo3 beta

Edit: to elaborate, the character building system seems awesome. Makes me feel like I am actually doing something instead of just holding down the mouse button to win.

Guitar Hero Of Time on
    So many skills.

So.Many.Fucking.Skills.

edited May 2012
    Arthil wrote: »
    So many skills.

So.Many.Fucking.Skills.

So many passives. Not that many fucking skills.

Dudes should try this game out because it's pretty neat. My computer struggles a little with the graphics or it'd be my go-to non-League game ATM.

What's really nice is that they compensate for only 2 acts by cranking up the difficulty really early.

Mahnmut on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Okay, I think I love this game.

Does anyone know if it matters which skill you use? Or do all gems level up equally as you kill enemies? Is there any point in not leveling one up?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    There are different tiers of gems - they all start at level 1, but higher tiers require more experience to level them up.

There's a market for leveling gems and selling them to other people.

Echo wrote: »
    There are different tiers of gems - they all start at level 1, but higher tiers require more experience to level them up.

There's a market for leveling gems and selling them to other people.

& yeah, all equipped gems level up equally. Not toyally sure if XP is divided -- under the impression that there's no leveling disadvantage to having lots strapped on, though.

• BhaalenBhaalen Registered User regular
    I tried the open beta yesterday. I have a few complaints.

1: The camera is zoomed in a little to far.
    2: That over the top skill tree is hideous. At first its overwhelming, then you realize its mostly boring % increases to damage and such.
    3: The graphics are really bland. It's like theres no artistic inspiration.
    4: The animations are absolutely terrible. My witch literally looked like she had something stuck in her butt. In fact when my brother in law walked in and saw me playing that was the first thing he noticed. :)
    5: The currency being ID scrolls and respecc orbs felt like a placeholder and not a finished game mechanic.
    6: No cutscenes, poor voice acting, boring quest text, left me feeling like I had no connection to my character or the world.
    7: The mmo global chat was HORRIFIC. It felt like a cross between barrens chat in WoW and a free to play mmo starting zone chat. Thank god they let you turn it off.
    8: Light radius.
    9: I looked at some youtube vids of higher level play to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything, and it lt was almost always spamming 1 or 2 skills over and over and over. Not to mention the skills were pretty bland looking. Especially those vids embedded above. So...repetitious.

Things I liked

1:Graphics engine was really nice. I liked the sharpness and fidelity of textures for instance. The lighting engine was also really good.
    2: It's free! :)
    3: Energy shield is sweet.
    4: The ability to transform magic items into other magic items or plain items into magic items was pretty cool. Though it seemed blue items were kinda useless.

Be careful. Your productivity will drop if you click this link.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bhaalen wrote: »

2: That over the top skill tree is hideous. At first its overwhelming, then you realize its mostly boring % increases to damage and such.
    4: The animations are absolutely terrible. My witch literally looked like she had something stuck in her butt. In fact when my brother in law walked in and saw me playing that was the first thing he noticed. :)
    5: The currency being ID scrolls and respecc orbs felt like a placeholder and not a finished game mechanic.
    6: No cutscenes, poor voice acting, boring quest text, left me feeling like I had no connection to my character or the world.

You are 100% wrong on every single one of those as far as I'm concerned. I'm hugely happy for 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6. Can't comment on 4 but I certainly didn't notice anything off about it. The camera is a perfect level for me, the skill tree is AMAZINGLY cool, saying there's no artistic interpretation is just twelve levels of stupid, the currency is the greatest idea ever, and story is dumb. I skip it all the time anyway. I want to play a game not watch a movie.
    7: The mmo global chat was HORRIFIC. It felt like a cross between barrens chat in WoW and a free to play mmo starting zone chat. Thank god they let you turn it off.

EVERY mmo global chat is the same level of hideous.
    8: Light radius
    Wasn't a problem for me. Sounds like a hardware problem.
    9: I looked at some youtube vids of higher level play to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything, and it lt was almost always spamming 1 or 2 skills over and over and over. Not to mention the skills were pretty bland looking. Especially those vids embedded above. So...repetitious.

Don't ever play Diablo then.

I'm totally taken aback how great this game is. I actually look foward to what else I'll find in the game unlike Diablo 3 that just felt like I was going along on the road they put me on.

I will admit the passive skills tree is a bit overwhelming at first but if you follow the paths out and start to think about how you want to play it becomes less scary. Of course I'm probably building my guy the wrong way, but so far I've ran into no problems.

50433.png?1708759015
  • BhaalenBhaalen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »

You are 100% wrong on every single one of those as far as I'm concerned. I'm hugely happy for 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6. Can't comment on 4 but I certainly didn't notice anything off about it. The camera is a perfect level for me, the skill tree is AMAZINGLY cool, saying there's no artistic interpretation is just twelve levels of stupid, the currency is the greatest idea ever, and story is dumb. I skip it all the time anyway. I want to play a game not watch a movie.

EVERY mmo global chat is the same level of hideous.
    8: Light radius
    Wasn't a problem for me. Sounds like a hardware problem.

Don't ever play Diablo then.

I'm totally taken aback how great this game is. I actually look foward to what else I'll find in the game unlike Diablo 3 that just felt like I was going along on the road they put me on.

I dont know man, the characters didn't really have much uniqueness to them. The environments seemed uninspired. They looked really generic. Purely subjective, I know.

Oh, and I definitely don't have a hardware problem. The game has light radius. I hate light radius period.

As for the don't play Diablo because of repetitivve skill usage, thing. Well that was a HUGE problem for me in Diablo 2 to be honest. I hated spamming the same 2 skills over and over. really glad they fixed that in 3.

Bhaalen on
    Be careful. Your productivity will drop if you click this link.
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    Is anyone around to play now? i'm impressed enough to drop 25 on this game, and would like to start up a friend list. Name's Varega, same as my username here.

League of Legends:Varega
    I have only low chars so if anyone wants to play, send me a Steam Msg as I'm usually playing around on a few different chars. Unless you can add friends by account name?

50433.png?1708759015
    edited May 2012
    my character name is "enragedseacucumber" varega

or "rapidlyrotatinggiraffe"

and just to demonstrate proof of concept here is my lightning strike witch doing chaos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTVCwrmtuyY

my gear is total shit, so this build is probably broken as balls

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    I've been playing a bit of this in my limited gaming time (all the way to level 7 on my Marauder, Malthron). I was wondering - is there a way to get more Armorer's Scraps other than finding them?

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    there are some vendor recipes that get you scraps

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/15223

Armourers Scrap
    Recipe: Items of armour with 20% Quality (not all identified magic or rare items)
    Reward: Armourer's Scrap

Recipe: Armour-items with 40%+ combined Quality
    Reward: Armourer's Scrap

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.