As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LTTP: F.E.A.R

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay, so I finally picked it back up, and hit that infamous
    Ladder scene. It's actually just a bit after the duct scene, where she crawls at you, but that didn't really affect me much. I just shot at her out of pure instinct and she disappeared into ash. Actually, I've found I tend to shoot at her all the time. I can't imagine she likes me much.

Anyway. The Ladder scene. I did a little jump, nothing major. But that little giggle she gave me just creeped me right the fuck out. Then, of course, I thought it was done and jumped a bit bigger when Paxton showed up at the bottom. I, of course, shot him too.

The paranoia is in full force now. I'm shooting at my own shadow sometimes.

One issue from the beginning I just thought about:
    How come I never mentioned anything to the rest of my team about Paxton getting the drop on me and talking to me at the beginning of the game? Or did I just miss that?

Also, from that same time period
    When Janikowski opened the door and I was supposed to follow him in SWAT style, I hesitated a bit because it went to SloMo and I didn't quite understand what was going on. I then hesitated more because he did the ash-disappearing thing and I thought he was dead and didn't particularly want to go into that room without flooding it with bullets first. Was that disappearing effect supposed to happen? It doesn't make sense to me, and seems kind of glitchy when I think about it.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    expendable wrote: »
    Okay, so I finally picked it back up, and hit that infamous
    Ladder scene. It's actually just a bit after the duct scene, where she crawls at you, but that didn't really affect me much. I just shot at her out of pure instinct and she disappeared into ash. Actually, I've found I tend to shoot at her all the time. I can't imagine she likes me much.

Anyway. The Ladder scene. I did a little jump, nothing major. But that little giggle she gave me just creeped me right the fuck out. Then, of course, I thought it was done and jumped a bit bigger when Paxton showed up at the bottom. I, of course, shot him too.

The paranoia is in full force now. I'm shooting at my own shadow sometimes.

One issue from the beginning I just thought about:
    How come I never mentioned anything to the rest of my team about Paxton getting the drop on me and talking to me at the beginning of the game? Or did I just miss that?
    He doesn't tell them for the same reason Gordon Freeman doesn't tell anyone anything, as far as I can make out.

Also, from that same time period
    When Janikowski opened the door and I was supposed to follow him in SWAT style, I hesitated a bit because it went to SloMo and I didn't quite understand what was going on. I then hesitated more because he did the ash-disappearing thing and I thought he was dead and didn't particularly want to go into that room without flooding it with bullets first. Was that disappearing effect supposed to happen? It doesn't make sense to me, and seems kind of glitchy when I think about it.
    Just play it again and follow him in swat-style. It's all there for dramatic effect, sounds like you basically ruined a cool scene by being cautious.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I bought this game for the 360. You all owe me new underwear you fuckers.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    I bought this game for the 360. You all owe me new underwear you fuckers.
    Easy way to skip the ladder scene. Jump down every ladder.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Compliment sandwich:

1. I thought my FPS life was complete, but that was until I severed a body in two with a shotgun in slow-motion. Only now is my FPS life complete.
    2. Why is everything all grey?
    3. Slicing someone with a knife is super fun.
    4. I can't hear a fucking word anyone says on the comm link.
    5. It's not been too scary yet and I've finished the water treatment plant.

All in all, I very much like this game. I just wish I knew what people were saying to me.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Compliment sandwich:

1. I thought my FPS life was complete, but that was until I severed a body in two with a shotgun in slow-motion. Only now is my FPS life complete.
    2. Why is everything all grey?
    3. Slicing someone with a knife is super fun.
    4. I can't hear a fucking word anyone says on the comm link.
    5. It's not been too scary yet and I've finished the water treatment plant.

All in all, I very much like this game. I just wish I knew what people were saying to me.
    Yeah, the speech is pretty fucking bad. Is it the same with PC?

Also, there's a knife?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    By the way, everyone needs to see the live-action clip they did for the director's cut PC version, if it isn't in some way included on the console versions.

I loved it. I wonder if it's been youtubed.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    By the way, everyone needs to see the live-action clip they did for the director's cut PC version, if it isn't in some way included on the console versions.

This it? I want to know before I piss myself.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also, there's a knife?

I *think* so. I'm pretty sure I slow-moed, meleed some guy in the back of the neck, and it looked like a knife. He certainly went down in one shot.

That said, I haven't been able to repeat it. Everything else is a pistol whip. Maybe I'm so spooked out I'm SEEING THINGS.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also, there's a knife?

I *think* so. I'm pretty sure I slow-moed, meleed some guy in the back of the neck, and it looked like a knife. He certainly went down in one shot.

That said, I haven't been able to repeat it. Everything else is a pistol whip. Maybe I'm so spooked out I'm SEEING THINGS.
    You just gave him a donkey punch, Congrats(no knife.)

Also, hold down B to go into FISTICUFFS mode.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

This it? I want to know before I piss myself.

Yes.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Also, there's a knife?

I love doing the slide to take people out. Or the roundhouse kick.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    halp.jpg

he wasn't using it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2007
    I loved FEAR, but I really didn't find it scary at all. SS2 either actually. I hope I'm not getting jaded, I love being scared.

Tube on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I loved FEAR, but I really didn't find it scary at all. SS2 either actually. I hope I'm not getting jaded, I love being scared.

BOO!

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

we all pretend to fear and respect you, but we're totally saying mean things about you behind your back. You have no power over us, Tube.

I think i am still pretty responsive to creepy things in games. No, i didn't find Alma creepy as such ("oh a little girl, m'kay"), but there's just a general level of tension that i find in certain games (Condemned's another one) that make me dread finding out what's around the next corner.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Jump moments kind of wear off easy, with noteworthy exceptions (fuck the surprise by one of the Deck 4 Sim units in SS2 - you know the one) and like I said earlier some of the best scares were given away in the demo. Overall, FEAR was better when it played at tension and unease, getting you to expect a firefight or nightmares around the next corner.

One of the last games to really scare me - I mean, I actually did have to turn the lights back on kind of scary - was Fatal Frame 3. I can't help it, not just ghosts but the way they were used. That apartment was just too goddamn creepy.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

we all pretend to fear and respect you, but we're totally saying mean things about you behind your back. You have no power over us, Tube.

I think i am still pretty responsive to creepy things in games. No, i didn't find Alma creepy as such ("oh a little girl, m'kay"), but there's just a general level of tension that i find in certain games (Condemned's another one) that make me dread finding out what's around the next corner.

Also, Eidos announced that Hitman 2 was their ideal iteration of the Hitman series, and all sequels will therefore be developed with H2's engine ans AI in mind.

Rust on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rust wrote: »

Also, Eidos announced that Hitman 2 was their ideal iteration of the Hitman series, and all sequels will therefore be developed with H2's engine ans AI in mind.

...what does Eidos have to do with F.E.A.R.? It was developed by Monolith, dude.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    thorpe wrote: »

...what does Eidos have to do with F.E.A.R.? It was developed by Monolith, dude.

i think it was another attempt at upsetting/scaring Tube.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It is all I can do not to install the warez version of FEAR offered to me by a friend while I wait for the Gold edition DVD I won on ebay to arrive.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2007
    Don't talk about warez. Even in passing.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Don't talk about warez. Even in passing.

i do hope that rule is in place as much because 'warez' sounds utterly retarded, as it is illegal.

edit: whoah.. did the editing options just change? Anyway, on my current playthrough on FEAR, i've dropped graphics settings right down because i was getting some really irritating stuttering, that apparently i was fine with before. I can't wait to build myself a new awesome pc that'll run it smoothly. Damn this game.

And i've also been abusing the quicksave/load so that i can make fights cooler. Shotgun and kung-fu rampages win.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

i think it was another attempt at upsetting/scaring Tube.

Oh.

I'm out of the loop D:

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Damnit if this conversation keeps up I'm gonna have to play through again.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited July 2007
    I've still been meaning to try the original on the hardest difficulty. I felt like I got away too easily on my first run through. I didn't play defensively; just abused med kits.

Oh, but not in System Shock 2, oh no. Play defensively, or die.

I'll probably do it once I beat Extraction Point(and SS2, at that).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    One of my favorite jumpy/awesome bits was in the final chapter in the run down building
    *THUD!*

"....what the hell was that?"

*Clump, clump, clump*

"Oh shit, probably a mech suit, I'll just sneak through this room that has plenty of hiding spots what it could possibly be lurking around and-"

*KERASH!!*

"OH MY FUCKING GOD WHAT THE HELL IT JUST CAME THROUGH THE GOD-DAMED ROOF!"

I'd be surprised if no-one jumped at that part.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm playing through the game for the first time right now. I just encountered the
    ninja guys.

I definately jumped.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm playing through the game for the first time right now. I just encountered the
    ninja guys.

I definately jumped.

Fuck yeah, the Watchers are pretty terrifying.
    It gets worse though, when you face them in an environment where they can actually strut their stuff.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It gets worse though, when you face them in an environment where they can actually strut their stuff.
    I actually didn't mind them. My insane abuse of slowmo means I see something, hit slomo, go "Oh, that's a bad guy" then unload about 6 shotgun shells into their chest. Bang bang bang.
    Those ATF guys on the roof were more scary. They hide in the dark and shit.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I actually didn't mind them. My insane abuse of slowmo means I see something, hit slomo, go "Oh, that's a bad guy" then unload about 6 shotgun shells into their chest. Bang bang bang.
    Those ATF guys on the roof were more scary. They hide in the dark and shit.

Yeah, they are a lot creepier the first runthrough when you don't know where they will show up. Although
    I was really freaked out when I realized that if you run quick enough, you can actually see them before and after their official appearances (ie, when you fight them) jumping into air vents and watching you from afar whenever you heard their trademark "blink" sound effect which happens a lot throughout the game.

But in all honesty, Extraction Point is so much more frightening than the original its ridiculous. I fucking hate the phantasms.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    First time you run into the ninja dudes?
    Where the one in the sewers jumps up the wall and runs away? Yeah I nailed him (literally) so that he was hanging halfway over the pipe you go through. I laughed a bit at that.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I saw the ninjas making their scripted appearances early on, and eventually got used to it.

I was wholly unprepared for when they actually started fighting.
    The guy was literally a fly on the wall, sitting perfectly still. Sat there for a good five seconds, and I figured I'd interrupted a script or something. The second I fired, he jumped, kicked me in the head, and bolted. The rest of my assault rifle burst missed by a mile. Cue much cursing and near-blind fire, until I remembered I had slomo.

Stolls on
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fuck you guys. You made me reinstall the game.

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone actually use a gun other than the shotgun for the majority of play?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love the SMG and the TAR-21(Burst assault rifle). Actually all the guns are pretty good even the dual pistols. I use the shotgun if I want to see gibs.

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The first SMG you get's my favourite.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Discounting stuff with very limited ammo - the missile launcher and particle gun - I tended towards the AR, the shotgun and the burst rifle, switching out everything but the shotgun for dual pistols and the SMG when necessary. Pistols were useful for suppression until I could get in close, and combined with the jump-kick was my weapon of choice for many of the more cluttered parts of Armacham.

Stolls on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    VaLiantine wrote: »
    Actually all the guns are pretty good even the dual pistols. I use the shotgun if I want to see gibs.

There are times when you don't?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Question in Spoiler:
    Did anybody else think Alma was sad at the end of the first game, once she found out that the Point Man was her child. Like she was sorry for everything that happened to him. Also, what the hell was Harlan Wade thinking, letting Alma out. It's not like she's lashing out beyond the grave or anything, um, wait.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697