As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Episode 3 game by Zeboyd coming in 2012

2»

• Options
    Bad AspBad Asp Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote: »
    How were the battles triggered? Random like in Final Fantasy, or are there enemies on the map that you bump into like in Earthbound/the Mario RPGs/Precipice 1&2?

The latter.

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Bad Asp wrote: »
    AaronKI wrote: »
    How were the battles triggered? Random like in Final Fantasy, or are there enemies on the map that you bump into like in Earthbound/the Mario RPGs/Precipice 1&2?

The latter.

That makes me happy. Was there any sign that the narrator would be making a return?

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    So Gametrailers go ahold of us at PAX and did a brief walkthrough:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pax-east-penny-arcade/728983

X-Play's Morgan Webb also did a quick preview of Rainslick3:

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58090/rain-slick-precipice-3-gameplay-preview/

PAX was quite fun this year!

• Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    good ol' gametrailers
    HS2Zn.jpg

• Options
    CrowhammerCrowhammer Registered User regular
    This looks amazing! I would love to see the other two games remade in this style. Will it be coming to PSN? If I have to miss out on this, I may cry...

• Options
    Steam/PC, Mac, iOS (iphone/touch/iPad), Android, XBLIG are the announced platforms so far. I can tell you that the game runs fine on my netbook though, so PC specs shouldn't be an issue.

As for PSN, we'd love to figure something out regarding Sony platforms but I don't have anything concrete to say about it yet.

• Options
    asdfffasdfff Registered User regular
    (for windows) will the XNA framework be required like for breath of death and cthulhu? if so, could you guys please do a compile where we wouldn't need to install it?

(this is due to various issues with installation and permissions)

• Options
    It'll still be XNA the way our past 2 games are. Although the versions that will be running on Unity (ios, android, mac) obviously won't be. And of course XNA games just work on Xbox if you have a 360.

• Options
    asdfffasdfff Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

asdfff on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Penny Arcade's On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness 3 does not play like the previous games. I happen to think it plays a lot better but I'm a bit biased. :)

Honestly I'm looking forward to a new combat engine. The last one wasn't fun for me.
    Will enemy encounters be set up like the previous game or will they be less important to progression and appear everywhere?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    freakazoidfreakazoid Registered User regular
    When I heard that episode 3 was being done I was really excited. Then I heard it was being done by a different company in a different style and I was apprehensive. After seeing some screen shots I am back to being excited. I will be even excited if it is released before August. :)

Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was worried too freakazoid. I bought Cthulu Saves the World off Steam to check them out and I was pleasantly surprised. The humor is funny, I enjoy the combat and I'm having a blast. Not sure you can have that much fun for $3 elsewhere and still have it be legal.

Really looking forward to seeing what they do with PA!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Todays PATV is about Game 3 if anyone is interested.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    scorched595scorched595 Registered User new member
    I just hope that the game continues off from the other 2. No, I haven't read the e-book, haven't had the time, but can someone tell me if it continues from where the first 2 games left off? And if your character is even mentioned at all?

• Options
    scorched595scorched595 Registered User new member
    Wait, whoops, this thread is waaaayyyyy old, my bad for bumping an old thread.

• Options
    Thread isn't that old :P

Anyway the game picks up right after Episode 2. Although we are providing sufficient context that anyone can pick up the series starting with #3.

The Rakeperson will be mentioned in the narrative but won't be a playable character.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Please tell me the Narrator is back in some form? He was one of the best parts of Ep 1&2

• Options
    PappySmearPappySmear Registered User new member
    I am disappointed already. I just played 1&2 just to find out 3 is going to be nothing like them. This is like Dragon Age 2 all over again.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    PappySmear wrote: »
    I am disappointed already. I just played 1&2 just to find out 3 is going to be nothing like them. This is like Dragon Age 2 all over again.

It's more like RS 1 & 2 were Dragon Age 2 and RS 3 is going to be Dragon Age 1. :)

Yes, there are going to be major differences but it's a different studio with a drastically different philosophy to making games so it's inevitable. I will say that everyone who is played RS3 has said that they thought it was a big improvement over the first two games though.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Don't be. Zeboyd will make a better Ep 3 that hothead ever could have. The PA style writing and artwork were what made the other games good, the actual game mechanics were somewhat clunky. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've made.

Casual on
  • Options
    PappySmearPappySmear Registered User new member
    So no continue from 1 & 2 and our beloved main characters are not there ? Not helping ease my fears on this game being a collisional disappointment here.

• Options
    So no continue from 1 & 2 and our beloved main characters are not there ? Not helping ease my fears on this game being a collisional disappointment here.
    Colossal maybe?

Somebody is being a real Negative Nancy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    re: The XBLIG thing. I find it kind of odd that you're apparently still on the hook if the player does something the system explicitly tells them not to do. I guess maybe they just don't like things crashing. Would the game gracefully failing to a screen that says "Aaargh why the fuck would you do that? We told you not to you dummy!" be sufficient?

Probably not, but I would laugh...

steam_sig.png