As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Tabletop Freeplay Thread

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    tehKellz wrote: »
    PlaneGuy wrote: »
    I made this for last year, then promptly forgot it in my hotel room all PAX:
    3GMGOl.jpg
    This is awesome, but I'm afraid to click the 'Awesome' button now. So I'm just telling you.

Indeed, how do we get these everwhere! (in TTfreeplay, not all over pax.)

• Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    PlaneGuy wrote: »
    I made this for last year, then promptly forgot it in my hotel room all PAX:
    3GMGOl.jpg

Dude, that is AWESOME! (But I'm afraid of the button too.. ) I wonder what the overhead would be for TT to have signs like that available. Maybe printed signs that can just be folded over and sat on tables or held up? Hrmm.. Reusability would be an issue, though.

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I haven't done tabletop at Prime in practically forever, so I'm not sure what your setup for the game library area/rooms is compared to East. (Prime is generally my panels and networking con, and East is my tabletop and cookie brigading con.)

My favorite basic idea is having a smallish (4-8 seats) table near the game library that is officially labeled "LFG." People looking to join a game could sit there and be recruited, or, when they reach critical mass, form their own game and go check something out.

Portable table signs like above would also be super cool, especially if they were laminated/mounted on cardboard in such a way that they would be visible while wandering the area.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    @KellyShepard
    If it's been 5 years since you last played, chances are you've forgotten the weird specific rules that really set the editions apart. Some of the major differences between 3.5 and 4e are only apparent if you're trying to do some really crazy rules bending. The Encounters area at PAX is a great place to dip a toe into 4e and get the blood flowing again. I'd recommend you play a few rounds with a couple different DMs, as all their DMs will give you a different experience.

As far as the rest of the modern TT world, PAX is a great place to dip a toe in. People play a HUGE variety of stuff there and are generally cool if you walk up and ask them about it. Just beware.. When I went to my first PAX I had only played Dominion and Settlers of Catan as far as "real boardgames". Now I own more games than my shelves can hold!

Also forgot to mention, my twitter handle is @TheOneTar.
    Cool. Good to know. I love D&D. I played for years, and grew up hearing tales from my Dad's collage days of playing D&D. I'd love to get back into the world.
    Now to gather the courage to 'dip my toes in'.
    :)

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • KaneBlaireauKaneBlaireau Registered User regular
    Totally missed the open play area last year. Planning on snagging a copy of Super Dungeon Explore if they are available, though! Will be sure and share. :)

The Tabletop page is now up on the wiki for a lil' bit more info. http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Tabletop

Rumor has it more info about the Tabletop Library will be adding eventually about what games are available.

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    Cool. Good to know. I love D&D. I played for years, and grew up hearing tales from my Dad's collage days of playing D&D. I'd love to get back into the world.
    Now to gather the courage to 'dip my toes in'.
    :)

Well if you want someone that's willing to dive in with ya, lemme know :D I love me some DnD Encounters!!!

• OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    I would love to get a game of Game of Thrones in. Since playing it last year it's become my favorite game. I'll also be heading down to play some DnD encounters and I'm always up for a game of munchkin, I keep my set with me at all times while at PAX.

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
  • Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    For "learn to play" or demo type games you usually don't have to bring your own material. Magic and WoW TCG both offer intro leagues that provide a starter deck for you. I'm not sure if Warhammer has a presence that includes demo space or not, but Warmachine usually does. If miniature skirmish combat has piqued your interest, I recommend checking it out as well; I like it more than Warhammer, personally. As we start getting closer to the show you should see threads pop up with information about WHF/40k/PP organized play, and possibly any demo/intro games available in tandem.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Ill be keeping my eyes open on the forums and crossing my fingers.

• RandomAtomRandomAtom Registered User regular
    I'm up for late night anything and I will probably wear a sign saying something to that effect, but I'm really looking forward to some CAH. It is the greatest game to play with complete strangers.

EAST 2014 Ticket[X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ]
    Find me on Steam.
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Tar3820 wrote: »

Well if you want someone that's willing to dive in with ya, lemme know :D I love me some DnD Encounters!!!
    Cool. Thanks! if you know the new system and can give pointers, you'll be my new best friend. :D

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If I can find time to gin up a sample adventure, I'm seriously considering running Legend of the Five Rings for some new players. Combat-wise, it's my favorite system of all time, but almost nobody has played it. It's got an awesome "roll and keep" mechanic which is both strategic and gamble-y, and a really cool Feudal Japan setting that rewards roleplaying in a manner that is somewhat similar to Burning Wheel, though not as robust.

Argh, why am I "cursed" with GMs who introduce me to phenomenal fringe systems that are widely beloved but nobody ever plays? First a GM got me addicted to Shadowrun, and then one got me hooked on L5R.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • zephusdragonzephusdragon Registered User regular
    Ah Shadowrun, I loved those days.
    I'm very excited about the tabletop gaming area in general though. I'm a very avid gamer, and while I love me a good console game, I'll always love a good old fashioned board game.
    Talking about epic games, anyone ever play the WoW board game from Fantasy Flight. I still have yet to get a good game going of it.

3-Day Pass [x]
    Hotel Booked [x]
    Drive Fiancee Batty over PAX [x][x][x]
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    i'm hoping to use this experience to better myself as a DM so i can come back home and DM for some buddies, especially now that the school semester is over and i'll finally have free time again!

• jooliejoolie Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get a chance to play BSG again at some point during Prime.

I'm in. Playing BSG was one of the highlights of last year's PAX. On the rare occasions I can actually arrange at-home TT nights, I rarely have people willing to learn/play the game. It's intimidating at first - I had to twist my husband's arm to get him playing - but really worth it. I'm glad PAX was my first exposure to the game. Awesome people to learn with.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    joolie wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get a chance to play BSG again at some point during Prime.

I'm in. Playing BSG was one of the highlights of last year's PAX. On the rare occasions I can actually arrange at-home TT nights, I rarely have people willing to learn/play the game. It's intimidating at first - I had to twist my husband's arm to get him playing - but really worth it. I'm glad PAX was my first exposure to the game. Awesome people to learn with.

This game is part of my groups rotation. Great game once cylon's start leaning the best time to reveal.

PSN: Canadian_llama
    Whenever I play BSG, everyone thinks I'm a Cylon.. and I never am! I think I've spent every single game in the Brig.

Most the games I own are non-direct conflict. Several of them are co-op. I like games like Race for the Galaxy (base), Citadels, and 7 Wonders where for the most part you're just playing in your own little part of the world/universe and trying to win before the other players do. Sometimes even games of Ticket to Ride get too conflict-y for me..

• UbaUba WARegistered User regular
    Love the sign, might do something similar myself.

I'll be playing Pokemon and/or Magic so if ya see someone in a Ness costume (with a beard and long hair) come say hi and play me! I'll also be attempting to fix up my warmachine army a lil better and get some games in at pax but no promises. I'm newer to that one so I need a few more models, mainly play warhammer but thats too many models/too much time to spend on it at pax.

The witch stands before you now, Burning in demon light, Condemned to serve the black, It cares now for your cries, You fall before it now, Grovel with your last breath, Your god can't save your soul, GAZE INTO THE FACE OF DEATH!

Warhammer: Lizardmen
    Warmachine: Cryx
  • zephusdragonzephusdragon Registered User regular
    I'm coming to PAX for the video games, but I'm staying for the Tabletop. That said, I'd love to get in some wicked epic game time that I'm not usually able to get into. I'd love to try to get a game of World of Warcraft: The Board Game in. It's kinda epic with games lasting in the range of 4-6 hours (depending skill lvl and such) I was just wondering if anyone is interested in some epic game time. I might just lug this beast to PAX with me.

3-Day Pass [x]
    Hotel Booked [x]
    Drive Fiancee Batty over PAX [x][x][x]
  • ZerinaZerina CZE Pirate Queen Irvine, CARegistered User new member
    If anyone would like to learn the WoW TCG or participate in some fun tournaments, Cryptozoic will be at PAX Prime again this year and we'll have a spot just for organized play.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions people may have about what will be going down in our various play areas. I don't want to rant or spam up the forum, but I figured people may want to know what will be going on in advance. (We're still fleshing out our tournament schedules.)

We'll have WoW beginner tournaments and a group of awesome volunteers on hand to teach you how to play. We're also going to have tournaments for the Penny Arcade deck building game going on as well. At PAX East, we gave out Fruit F*cker figurines as prizes. If you don't know how to play, you can get a demo at our booth and then hop right in to the tournament.

Hope to see many of you there! I love PAX, it's such an awesome time.

• MLORDMLORD Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed playing munchkin and pandemic last year during the off time at PAX :) hoping to get some time in on that. Also looking forward to trying some new ones while there.... Any suggestions guys?

M.LORD
    Staticwave Entertainment
    AIM DJMLORD2001
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Hrm....tempted to gin up a spare deathtrap dungeon just to kind of gather people up and play with, see what shakes out in the way of good times.

Otherwise, for out of the way systems, Shadowrun would be fun to see run, and Deadlands is always hoot to see in action too. And of course there's Paranoia for something quick and dirty.

....no, I don't system hop, why do you ask?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    If I can find time to gin up a sample adventure, I'm seriously considering running Legend of the Five Rings for some new players. Combat-wise, it's my favorite system of all time, but almost nobody has played it. It's got an awesome "roll and keep" mechanic which is both strategic and gamble-y, and a really cool Feudal Japan setting that rewards roleplaying in a manner that is somewhat similar to Burning Wheel, though not as robust.

Argh, why am I "cursed" with GMs who introduce me to phenomenal fringe systems that are widely beloved but nobody ever plays? First a GM got me addicted to Shadowrun, and then one got me hooked on L5R.
    Woah woah woah, a feudal Japan RPG? I'm very interested in this

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
  • PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    I might talk the boyfriend into bringing Munchkin Quest and Munchkin Quest 2. I bought them for him for Christmas and we've only played once. :(

• YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    I played a short modified Legend of the Five Rings game, but we were playing as the outcasts. It was really interesting.

On a different note, my boyfriend will be bringing his game Paiko for more play-testing (he's a perfectionist). It's two-person strategy kind of like Japanese chess. Now that he has one PAX under his belt, he says he'll dedicate more time during PAX for it, so I expect it'll make it's way to Tabletop Freeplay. I'm also going to look into getting a copy into the TT Library. It debuted last year on the PAXtrain and people really liked it.

So if you're bored and looking for people to play with, look for the green and orange diamond-shaped board, because he'll be looking for people as well. :)

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I personally like the universal "Players Welcome" sign: take the box top of whatever you're playing and display it vertically on your tabletop. Simple, concise, clear.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • AlbadiaAlbadia Registered User regular
    Game of Thrones! Me and my 2 compatriots will be there cards in tow. Maybe we'll have to plan a time to meet up and play some games?

• kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    This will be my first PAX, and I was wondering what my odds of finding a game of Burning Wheel that I could join would be. I picked up a copy, but I'd really like a chance to get some playtime under my belt before I try to really hard-sell it to my gaming group.

• YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    kaorti wrote: »
    This will be my first PAX, and I was wondering what my odds of finding a game of Burning Wheel that I could join would be. I picked up a copy, but I'd really like a chance to get some playtime under my belt before I try to really hard-sell it to my gaming group.
    Burning Wheel is also used in a modified form in the Mouse Guard RPG, so you might keep an eye out for that as well. You could probably find a table and run your own game, if you can't find someone running it.

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
    Albadia wrote: »
    Game of Thrones! Me and my 2 compatriots will be there cards in tow. Maybe we'll have to plan a time to meet up and play some games?

You talking LCG? Cause I just picked that up and am pretty stoked to play it with people, I tell you what.

Hail Hydra
  • LiraLira Registered User regular

I'm planning on running at least one Burning Wheel demo session on the 30th at the Sheraton lobby with the rest of the tabletop swarm, with the possibility of a repeat performance on the night of the 2nd after the Omegathon. We had a great crew show up last year, and with any luck we'll be able to do it again. I'll post scheduling information when the Sheraton gaming thread goes up, as it inevitably will.

• CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    for pick up games of D&D and such, do the people running them usually have pre-rolled characters? do we bring our own? if so any limitations on level/houserules?

Crogoth wrote: »
    for pick up games of D&D and such, do the people running them usually have pre-rolled characters? do we bring our own? if so any limitations on level/houserules?

If you're playing at the DnD Encounter area put on by Wizards, they will have prerolled character for you. Every table will have the same set, so you can get used a specific character if you want.

Otherwise, for "unofficial" games? No clue. I think some DMs preroll and some don't?

Usually in my opinion, it's easier to bring pre-gens unless you want to plan for spending a chunk of time to build characters, it's all dependent on taste.

Hail Hydra
  • kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Lira wrote: »

I'm planning on running at least one Burning Wheel demo session on the 30th at the Sheraton lobby with the rest of the tabletop swarm, with the possibility of a repeat performance on the night of the 2nd after the Omegathon. We had a great crew show up last year, and with any luck we'll be able to do it again. I'll post scheduling information when the Sheraton gaming thread goes up, as it inevitably will.

I probably wouldn't be able to make the 30th, but I'll make time on the 2nd. If I decided to burn up a character how many life paths should I use? Any race/lifepath restrictions I ought to know about?

• VersuskidVersuskid Maui, HIRegistered User regular
    Uba wrote: »
    Love the sign, might do something similar myself.

I'll be playing Pokemon and/or Magic so if ya see someone in a Ness costume (with a beard and long hair) come say hi and play me! I'll also be attempting to fix up my warmachine army a lil better and get some games in at pax but no promises. I'm newer to that one so I need a few more models, mainly play warhammer but thats too many models/too much time to spend on it at pax.

YES! I was reading this trying to find a Pokemon TCG player! My friend and I have sweet decks and I was trying to find someone to battle beside him! Sweet I shall continue to pimp out my Fire Lightning deck!

Prime 2014 Status: .[ ] Pass(es) .[ ] Hotel .[ ] Plane Tickets .Waiting Patiently [NEVER!!]
    Challenge Coin [ ]. Custom Dice [ ]. Forumer Pin [ ]. On Forumer Badge [ ]
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13
  • LiraLira Registered User regular
    I probably wouldn't be able to make the 30th, but I'll make time on the 2nd. If I decided to burn up a character how many life paths should I use? Any race/lifepath restrictions I ought to know about?

Demo games run best with pre-generated characters due to the time constraints involved. Unless everyone was familiar with the game and we had time to do a setting-burning and group character creation, but I don't think that's too likely.

Burning Wheel has a number of "convention scenarios" to choose from, accommodating anywhere from two to eight players. Depending on the amount of interest we get I'll select from one of those. Personally I'm hoping for The Gift, a six- to eight-player scenario about pride, hospitality, succession, and the kinds of consequences that happen when you fail an Etiquette roll in the court of the Elvish Prince. It is awesome.

• JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    Lira wrote: »

Demo games run best with pre-generated characters due to the time constraints involved. Unless everyone was familiar with the game and we had time to do a setting-burning and group character creation, but I don't think that's too likely.

Burning Wheel has a number of "convention scenarios" to choose from, accommodating anywhere from two to eight players. Depending on the amount of interest we get I'll select from one of those. Personally I'm hoping for The Gift, a six- to eight-player scenario about pride, hospitality, succession, and the kinds of consequences that happen when you fail an Etiquette roll in the court of the Elvish Prince. It is awesome.

That scenario sounds like something that would be right up my alley.

• LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    @Matev Are we going to try and do Paranoia again? I was bummed we couldn't do it last Prime.

• CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    I'm going to try to bring a copy of the board game Eclipse with me this year. I'd like to get a group of six for a full game, preferably made up of players that already know the rules. The game does take a while, so we'll have to schedule a good chunk of time to play.

This discussion has been closed.