As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E PbP] Keep on the Shadowfell (IC)

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    "The Rosie and Stag, then? It sounds quite... interesting. I believe the term I've seen in books for exploring places like this is... "slumming it." Very let, let it be slummed, my friends."

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The guard from the battlements walks up behind the adventurers after closing the gates.

"Not sure what you're going on about, there. But if you're looking for something to eat and a warm bed, that Wrafton's Inn isn't far. Just head down that way and you'll likely smell it 'fore you see it."

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    "Thank you," Panmorn said to the guard.

"Sounds like as good a place as any" he said to the rest of the group "I need to get out of this armor for a while and let me skin breath."

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    "Me too!" said Barran, smoothing out his clothing.

edited May 2012
    "The airflow in these robes is quite refreshing, but even I have started to smell," Dire announces to no one in particular and sets off in the direction the guard had gestured.

Hensler on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    The adventurers make their way through town, attracting curious stares from the townspeople milling around the streets. Luckily, it's late, and most people are probably in bed.

Upon entering Wrafton's Inn, they realize this might not be the case. The place is bustling with activity, but more than a few people stop to look at the group of strangers as they make their way through the crowd and up to the bar.

"Information, you're here for? Or just a place to rest? We've got a few exclusives tapped for the night, if you're interested."

The bartender nods toward the mug he is currently filling with a frothy, orange liquid.

"What'll it be?"

"I'll take one of those," said Panmorn looking at the mug "a room, and food if you have them to spare."

"We're hoping to speak to Lord Padrig tomorrow, any thing we should know or watch out for?"

The bartender slides a mug toward the paladin and shrugs.

"Not really. He keeps to himself somewhat, but he's done right by most of the folks in Winterhaven."

He looks around for eavesdroppers and leans in closer.

"I would caution you against his daughter, though. Spoiled brat, that one. Once said she had a man exiled because he didn't comment on her wardrobe in the market."

He stands back up straight and coughs.

"But if you'd like a room, it's 5 silver for the night. First door on your left up the stairs."
    Feel free to spend time in the Inn and RP, talk to people, get drunk, whatever. Give me a !Ready when you want to head to your room for an extended rest and see Padraig in the morning.

"I'll have a mug of that myself, good sir. Beverages like these were something I've never had the pleasure to try in my... former home," Dire tells the barkeep, only catching himself from revealing himself as a fugitive at the last moment. He self-consciously pulls his hood further over his horns, doubting that tiefling's will be welcome in this place.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Halvard pays for a mug and some food, then heads for the door. "I have not grown accustomed to beds," he says, adjusting his pack on his shoulders. "I have no taste for them, nor they any room for me. Find me when you're ready to meet with the lord."
    Halvard will sleep outside. Near the inn, preferably. !ready

Denada on
    edited May 2012
    Barran takes the opposite approach from Dire, flashing a smile and holding his head high. "I'll be taking a room for myself, and I'll pay for a round for each of my remaining companions, Barkeep- we've been on the road for what seems like forever, and they need to relax." Barran sweeps some coins onto the bar, leaving the bartender a relatively large tip.
    (10 silver extra maybe? I dunno, my character knows better than me- whatever will make the bartender friendly without making him want to rob Barran blind). Barran intends to spend the next couple of hours getting to know the barman and chatting up the barmaids, fyi

El Skid on
    Panmorn nods at Halvard, "We will find you in the morning, great work today, I'm honored to fight by your side."

He turns to the rest of the group, "I'm glad we made it through today, I wasn't sure how we would fare, but it seems we make a good team thank you all." Panmorn pays for his room, before he leaves he turns to Barran and says, "And thank you for the drink!"

The paladin finds a table somewhat out of the way, sitting quietly listening to the conversations swirling around the bar. Not trying to eavesdrop, just trying to hear of news from around town and the surrounding farms.
    I'm going to stay down here for a bit and listen to the chatter to see if anything of interest is said, let me know if you want a roll. If I don't hear anything then I'm !Ready

"This brew is not unpleasant. Barkeep another!" Dire bellows, letting the festive tavern and the alcohol loosen him up. While waiting, he plucks a string of kobold skin and flesh from out of the folds of his robes.

The bartender pours Dire another mug and continues cleaning the place, ignoring the patrons almost completely.

Dire finishes up at the bar and joins the others for a restful night. In the morning, they make their way downstairs for a quick breakfast before heading to the keep to speak to Lord Padraig. They're admitted to see him almost immediately, to their surprise.

"Come in, come in!" shouts a stout man sitting at the head of a long table. He is shoveling handfuls of egg into his mouth, spitting bits out as he talks. "The guards told me of your arrival last night. Welcome to Winterhaven!"

Beside him is a young halfling, small and stoic. He watches the adventurers with an attentive eye as they approach his master. His arms are calmly folded in front of him, and a staff leans against the back of Padraig's ornate chair. Padraig notices the adventurers eyeing the man and continues.

"Nevermind young Cordarek for now. What brings you?"

edited May 2012
    "Good morning, Lord Pendraig. In our travels, we ran across some kobolds on the road, and having dispatched them we found something we believe belongs to you..." retrieving the ring, he held it out to Pendraig with a flourish. "We wanted to return it in person, so we thought we would pay a visit to your fair holding. I must say that your people are very open and welcoming."

El Skid on
    Panmorn quietly studies the interaction between Lord Pendraig and Barran. When Barran gives the lord his ring though, his gaze shifts to the halfling sitting beside Pendraig.

Seeing Panmorn's intent focus, Dire follows his lead and directs his arcane senses towards the halfling and his staff.
    Arcana Check: 1d20+10 28

As Padraig's eyes rise to meet Barran's outstretched hand, his fork stops part-way to his open mouth and then drops to the table with a clang.

"That's my father's ring!" he cries as he takes it from the Tiefling. "Where did you get this? This has been lost to my family for decades!"

Cordarek, the halfling, leans forward to peer over his Lord's shoulder, eyebrows raised in curiosity.

"I shall have to reward you all handsomely for this!"

He stares at the ring fondly as he places it on his right index finger. After a few more proud moments, he turns back to the group.

"I will send word to Wrafton that your quarters there are to be refurnished to exude the utmost in comfort, and I shall send my cook's apprentice to see to your meals each night. This will all be free of charge, I insist. Stay as long as you like!"

He waves furiously toward a door along the side of the room, and several servants rush in, carrying goblets of wine. They pull a chair out for each of the adventurers and place a drink in front of them.

"We will dine here together this night, and you can tell me all about your adventurers and how you came to procure my father's ring!"
    Barran
    Diplomacy:

Padraig's mood increases in your party's favour.

Panmorn
    Insight:

You can by the halfling's expression and posture that he is at ease. He pays your party little mind; just another band of somethings to see the Lord.

Dire
    Arcana:

You can sense magical energy from within the halfling. It feels like a raw energy coursing through his body.

Barran smiles at Padraig happily, always willing to be lavished upon. His smile fades briefly as he catches the Lord's eye and clears his throat. "I'm afraid we have news of a less...happy sort, Lord. The ring was our reason to make our journey here, but on the way we ran into more Kobolds...specifically a den of them. We managed to clear them all, and we found... well, you should read the note and decide what you want said aloud."

Padraig's expression turns far more grim, and he settles back down into his chair with a heavy sigh.

"This I have known for many days," he says. "Unfortunately, for every den we clear out, three more take its place. Let us see what news this letter holds."

His eyes carefully skim back and forth across the page, until he finally looks back up at the adventurers.

"This confirms Cordarek's suspicions at least. The kobolds are being led by another. As for this spy, this is certainly very troubling news."

He folds the letter and places it back on the table when a servant comes in and whispers something in his ear. He raises an eyebrow and looks at Zevi.

"You are Zevi, the elf?" He continues as Zevi's nod confirms his guess. "I have word that you have been summoned by a friend in Felcrest. They say it is urgent?"

Zevi stands suddenly and picks up his bow.

"I have," he pauses briefly, trying to find the proper words. "investments there. I should see to them while you all take care of our business here."

He senses the others about to interject and stops them. "I insist I go alone. These matters are sensitive in nature, and I shall return when they are dealt with properly."

Padraig stands in respect as Zevi leaves the room, but instead of taking his seat again he pushes back his chair and paces in front of the table.

"This gives me an idea!" He looks at the party. "You are adventurers for hire, yes? I'm sure your returning my ring had undertones other than the very appreciated act of good will, and I as Lord of this city seem to be in need of capable men. You've proven yourselves by clearing out this kobold den, do you think you would like to investigate this matter some more? I shall pay you in gold, of course, and I can do even more than that."

He walks over to Cordarek and slaps him hard on the back.

"I can even fill a recent vacancy! What do you say?"

"I would find that... acceptable. But my allies must speak for themselves," Dire tells the lord, thinking about the strong magic he sensed from the halfling. Not having seen any libraires in the town, plots to "borrow" Cordaek's spell book are already springing to mind. And if he were to perish during this adventure? Dire is sure their new acquaintance would want his equipment to go to another magic user.

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    "Oof." Cordarek staggers forward under the weight of Lord Padraig's hand. Regaining his balance he straightens to his full, if unimpressive, height and grins. "If you think that's the best way for me to discharge my debts to you, Lord Padraig – and if your adventurous friends are amenable, then I’d be delighted. Truth be told, I’m eager to stretch my legs a bit in the wider world.”
    He bows slightly to the party.
    “My name’s Cordarek. I’m attached to Lord Padraig’s household as a sort of… well, general dogsbody, I suppose – though I have a few rather specialized tricks up my sleeve. I’m pleased to meet you all.”
    Wild Soul: Resistance at outset: 1d10 1 Acid.

"You are ... small," Halvard says, rubbing his chin as he looks the halfling over. "That may be beneficial. I look forward to seeing what you can do in a fight. If the last few days are any indication, there will be many."

edited May 2012
    Barran turned his smile on the halfling before replying to Pedraig: "So long as he is to be a member of our group and not intended to be either supervisor or overseer, I can't see any problem with him joining us for at least this current job." he said jovially. "We will be able to sample at least a days' worth of the luxuries you were speaking of before we head back out, I hope..."

El Skid on
    "You are ... small. That may be beneficial. I look forward to seeing what you can do in a fight. If the last few days are any indication, there will be many."

Cordarek looks up at the bottom of the Goliath's chin. Ye Gods he's huge.

"And you, my friend, are so large that - were I sufficiently armoured to survive the experience - I warrant you could hurl me at our foes as if I were a bowls-ball. I promise that you won't find my performance in any brawls we get into lacking. If nothing else, they'll be interesting."
    "So long as he is to be a member of our group and not intended to be either supervisor or overseer, I can't see any problem with him joining us for at least this current job."

Cordarek returns Barran's smile. Though the Tiefling hadn't addressed him specifically, he shakes his head and raises his hands in supplication.

"No supervisor am I, my friend."

"Welcome aboard I say, as Halvard mentioned, we have been in more than one scrape as of late. My dad always said it isn't the size of the man in the fight, but the fight in the man." Panmorn smiled as he remembered his fathers words, he was enjoying his time on the road, but home was never far from his mind.

edited May 2012
    "Yes, yes, we have a little person now, and I'm sure you'll have plenty of things for us to maim, burn, and kill soon enough. This is all good and fine, but let's move onto more important things. Cordarek... perhaps since you've been here longer, you can direct me to any libraries or temples where I could further my education? Or you Lord Pedraig? "

Hensler on
    For a brief moment, Cordarek looks rather extraordinarily shifty. He looks sideways at Lord Padraig and then lowers his eyes.

"Well, there's a temple on the square. I don't really go into it much, though, on account of them being upset about a few pennies that may have gone missing from the poor-box a few winters back. Anyway, they might have some books in there. Like I said, though, an irrational and inhospitable bunch of God-botherers they are."

He clears his throat and mutters under his breath: "Well, I was poor."

Padraig laughs heartily.

"Your past is your own, Cordarek. You've been a loyal assistant to me since, and I have no intentions of hanging your past transgressions over your head. Well, any more than need be, anyway."

He turns to Dire.

"Aside from the temple, you might like to pay a visit to Valthrun, a local sage. He lives in his tower, an ancient structure you simply cannot miss. Just head outside and look up. While I'm sure he would have some tomes for sale you might be interested in, he suffers from severe paranoia. You'll have to win his trust before he will speak to you about such matters, I imagine. If he's not in his tower, you'll find him at the inn."

Signaled by a snap of Padraig's fingers, several servants rush in and begin to clear away goblets and other clutter from the table.

"I will have a feast prepared this evening in your honour, and I'd be delighted if you would join me. For now, feel free to explore the town and find out what you can. Cordarek, I release you from my service and entrust you to the care of these fine people. Please try to behave yourself, yes?"

"I always do, m'lord. Recently, anyway."

Cordarek sketches a bow almost entirely bereft of irony and turns to the group.

"I'm happy to toddle along in your footsteps, gentlemen, if you've things to do."

Barran looked around and shrugged.

"It sounds like Dire needs to see a man about a book. I was hoping to ask some questions of those near the center of power here, and perhaps partake in some of the proffered luxury before we are on our way again...Though by nature my methods of obtaining information tend to work better when I am alone."
    Barran isn't boning serving girls, he's seducing them to acquire information. Totally different things, guys! :P

edited May 2012
    Dire turns and walks out of the room, mumbling something about the sage's tower as he goes.

Hensler on
    Panmorn stands put for a minute looking a little perplexed, shakes his head, then turns to Lord Padraig and asks "Would your temple happen to have a shrine to Pelor?"

edited May 2012
    "There are several deities worshiped there, and indeed I believe Pelor is one of them. It looks as if your friend is already on his way, so I will leave you all to your errands."

Padraig heads toward the door but turns briefly before leaving.

"I'll expect you all here this evening after sunset. Do come on an empty stomach!"
    You can go explore and what have you, separately or together. It looks like Dire is heading to Valthrun's Tower. Give me some sort of indicator where the rest of you are going.

Figgy on
    edited May 2012
    Barran spends the morning lazing around the keep, playing his flute for himself or whatever onlookers happen to gather.
    Really he's looking for anyone who might be a bit on the inquisitive side- someone who might have a chance to have picked up on something that could point the way to this spy. His plan is to seduce them (since he's almost sure the someone will in fact be a ravishing young woman- almost all of his espionage somehow seems to result in the same type of mark), and then he'll see what he can find out once they've been 'charmed' once or twice...three times at the most.

El Skid on
    Panmorn spends his time in the temple talking to the priests about the news of the town. He also asks them if they have noticed anything strang. He then places an offering of coin on the alter of his deity.
    What ever news the have is good, and the offering is 10g.

edited May 2012
    Still somewhat uncomfortable inside a city's walls, Halvard takes his leave of Winterhaven. Outside of town, he searches for a quiet place among the trees where he can commune with the primal spirits. The previous day's battles had been harder than he had anticipated, and he had been reckless in the use of his rage. He would need to take better control of himself if he was to protect his allies in the days to come.
    I'm !ready to go to the feast.

Denada on
    Cordarek, seeing the group scatter to their business, gets down to his: a quick stop at the Rosie and Stag, and then an easy climb up to his favourite rooftop. He sits, flagon in hand, and watches the bustle in the square below him. He's spent entire days doing this, over the course of his childhood, and he never tires of watching people coming and going.

Besides. Sitting on a roof makes him feel taller.

The servant's of Padraig's house carry about their business, passing Barran by. Some of the women watch out of the corner of their eyes as they pass, but none of them seem to have the nerve to approach.

At the temple, Panmorn addresses Sister Linora for news.

"I have heard rumours of kobolds attacking distant farms, but Lord Padraig doesn't have the resources to lead a full assault. He is afraid of losing arms to protect the city. The town of Winterhaven and its people are his first priority. As far as strange activity around here, I assure you that if there were foul deeds afoot, I would know about them."
    Give me a !ready if you're good to attend the feast in your honour. This will bring us to sunset.