As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chaos] Chaos in the Old World - Discussion and signups - the Horned Rat

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    I have a rules question...

The HR player has the Under Empire upgrade...
    The Under Empire - You treat all regions with Skaven tokens as adjacent regions. When a region is ruined, you may immediately move any number of your figures from that region into one adjacent region.

The OWC says a token is placed in X region and 1 adjacent region, for example...
    The Grail Is Found - Remove all Event tokens from the board and remove any Old World cards bearing the Twin-tailed Comet icon from the Old World track. Then, place one Event token in Bretonnia and one Event token in any single region adjacent to Bretonnia. - In the end phase when Old World cards are resolved, all corruption tokens are removed from every region where there is at least one Event token.

The HR is to make decisions which is often the case. Does this mean that he can place the token anywhere that is adjacent for him, as per UE, or normally adjacent? I ask as the HR player is to make any decisions, but wasn't sure if the upgrade was in effect here.
    Can't see a reason why it wouldn't be, but wanted guidence on it.

Be interesting to see the grail turn up in Norsca for a change!

• TelnaiorTelnaior Registered User regular
    I think my Signup as a new player was missed D:

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Telnaior wrote: »
    I think my Signup as a new player was missed D:

Sorry about that! I've tucked you back in after displaced quasar and on the newbie list.

@Cerberus - I don't see anything in the text of the Under Empire upgrade limiting when it takes effect, so by Rules as Written, as long as the Rat himself is placing the tokens I guess he can put it wherever is adjacent for him. Thematically, though, that feels off; the Old World cards are looking for physical adjacency, but I suppose a group looking for the grail could end up wandering through the underdark* and end up popping back out someplace else.

*Yes, I realize that's the DnD term, but you know what I mean.

I don't think its come up in a game yet but thought it worth asking. I had the same feeling as you, from the wording it seemed the HR could do it, but the OWC made me feel it was restricted adjacency for a reason.

• Magic GeekMagic Geek Registered User regular
    I say yes.

The Rat Messiah was in Norsca.
    or
    The Grail was stolen by rats.

This answer seem right thematically, linguistically & in a rules lawyer-y nitpicking way.
    I like the Idea of "Yes" as the default answer to anything.

Darian "the Old World cards are looking for physical adjacency"
    - Sure, and the Underempire breaking that rule is it's thang. Explicitly connecting regions that are not physically adjacent is EXACTLY what it is about. How could any answer other than "YES" be justified?

• doldaridoldari Registered User regular
    Please sign me back up.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Grats to Dariain in 71. Thought it was close, what with the Rat and Khorne angling for DAC victories but you still pulled it out.

Meanwhile I had a horrible, yet fun game that I am eager to bounce back from, namely by not playing Nurgle.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Working on updating the spreadsheet a bit; we have had all five powers win Morrslieb/Expert games, so that's good.

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    I thought that Nurgle and Tzeentch would both be trying to force the Old World victory once they were out of the game, so I was surprised to see those Plaguebearers in Kislev, knowing that if one died in battle the game was sure to be won by someone, but was even more shocked by the Havoc that sealed it for not-Old-World.

I was really pulling for the Old World, and not just so I could beat Darian to 5 wins. Congrats on that too, by the way! :)

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Naw, at the end I was going for "how many points can I get" so I tried for ruination.

Characters
  • doldaridoldari Registered User regular
    Game 71 has ended in a Slaanesh VP victory for Darian, congratulation.

• FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and wondering if it would be possible to get in on a game at some point. However, I would like to do a base game if possible - I only fairly recently got hold of the boardgame in RL, and, despite loving it to pieces, I don't seem to be able to get groups together to play it very often - so I'd like a chance to get better at the base game. Since the general trend at the moment here is apparently Horned Rat games, I'm not too optimistic about my chances, but please count me in if anyone fancies getting a base game together!

Is a 5p game with the Horned Rat (but using the base decks, otherwise) alright, or are you set on just the original game experience?

• FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Either would suit me fine; I've not played with the Horned Rat yet, but I do love me a bit of Skaven (massive fan of playing Blood Bowl with the little buggers).

Flimflammery on
  • blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    @Flimflammery - If you wanted a four-player strictly base game, I'd say @stever777 is your man, but I think he's currently taking a break from hosting stuff. Either way, I highly recommend playing with the expansion, even if you don't have a ton of experience with the base game. It's not a huge leap, and while there may be... a few more balance issues, I think it's generally more interesting and less obvious. If you're open to it, I'll invite you to the game I was planning on starting tonight. I tend to put to a vote among the players what cards/upgrades are used in my games, so we can try to convince the others to play with base cards and upgrades. If we're unsuccessful, you can decide to either just play or decline until the next chance comes around.

@blahmcblah -- make sure you invite the forgotten new one (Telnaior), as well. I somehow missed his signup a while back.

I'm thinking my next game should be our first Morrslieb Game of Champions, but I'm not sure what we should do for the bloodletter upgrade for it. Thoughts?

Of course. :) I thought @Tayrun would appreciate being paired with two new players.

Re: Morrslieb GoCs - Somehow I doubt many winners would vote for the unnerfed upgrade, if you put it to a vote.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I would like to sign back up please (Morrslieb only).

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    I'm drunk and confused. What's happening that involves me, @Darian? @blahmcblah?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »
    I'm drunk and confused. What's happening that involves me, @Darian? @blahmcblah?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one this happens to.

@blahmcblah Okay, I will be glad to give your game a try, and at least make an attempt to steer the game towards a base decision ;-) Cheers.

admanb wrote: »
    Tayrun wrote: »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one this happens to.

Still wasted. *hi5* drunkenbuddy.

Holy shit it's 08:11 what the hell?

I need to reevaluate how I make decisions.

• texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    sign me back up please!

• JebuJebu Registered User regular
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    I thought that Nurgle and Tzeentch would both be trying to force the Old World victory once they were out of the game, so I was surprised to see those Plaguebearers in Kislev, knowing that if one died in battle the game was sure to be won by someone, but was even more shocked by the Havoc that sealed it for not-Old-World.

I was really pulling for the Old World, and not just so I could beat Darian to 5 wins. Congrats on that too, by the way! :)

Yeah, as soon as I saw more plaguebearers go down, I basically thought, "Well, Nurgle has no interest in helping the Old World win, so I may as well do some kingmaking." That didn't work out as well as I hoped though.

Invites are now out for Game 79.

• OverhamsterenOverhamsteren CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I am gonna take a break from the games. :)

make art until someone dies
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting to sign up again after I get in a game.

Put me back on the list!

Also I might host a game soon; have we had an all-hosts game recently?

vRyue2p.png
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I think stever777 if the only one to have run one and it was a ways back

PSN SeGaTai
    @Darian - I presume that your view on Daemonic Subtlety is that if two are played in the same region each warrior and greater daemon drops two corruption? I know you ruled that this wouldn't happen for Havoc due to the fact it is instead of battle dice. Came up in a RL game so thought I would check what you thought.

(M) Daemonic Subtlety - 0 - Your Warriors and Greater Daemons in this region each place one corruption during the corruption phase.

Yep, that one stacks.

Cool, thought so but good to check.

Also I was about to offer to help keep the spreadsheet updated on the games played, but I notice that you've just updated it all. If you still want help updating moving forward I am happy to do so.

Also I looked at the Morrslieb stats for the games we have played here so far... Pretty interesting.

Out of 27 Games completed

Khorne = 10 wins = 37.0%
    Nurgle = 4 wins = 14.8%
    Tzeentch = 6 wins = 22.2%
    Slaanesh = 4 wins = 14.8%
    The Horned Rat = 3 wins = 11.1%

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Sign me back up please

PSN SeGaTai
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I can't even remember what the last game I won was. Time to check the spreadsheet!

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Cool, thought so but good to check.

Also I was about to offer to help keep the spreadsheet updated on the games played, but I notice that you've just updated it all. If you still want help updating moving forward I am happy to do so.

Also I looked at the Morrslieb stats for the games we have played here so far... Pretty interesting.

Out of 27 Games completed

Khorne = 10 wins = 37.0%
    Nurgle = 4 wins = 14.8%
    Tzeentch = 6 wins = 22.2%
    Slaanesh = 4 wins = 14.8%
    The Horned Rat = 3 wins = 11.1%

Things that would be fun updates for the spreadsheet:
    * specific sortable column showing which version of the bloodletter upgrade is in use for each Morrslieb game, whether it was chosen, and how many VP it gave. (I've done that a bit in the notes field, but we could use someone going back through the earlier games for it and putting it into its own column would free us up to note other interesting things again.)
    * links to all of the games (easy enough to pull from the Index, but I just haven't done it)
    * columns to list all of the players and host for each game (probably a separate column for each god; this would be good for things like looking through all of magic geek's games as Khorne)
    * anything else that would be useful for analyzing the games

If you want to work on it, send me a PM with an email address that I can give rights to.

PM with details sent!

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Keep in mind that 37% Khorne win rate was including all the early games where people still tried to play him for a dial victory and always took vengeance first. I imagine it's even higher in later games with unnerfed bloodletters and a Khorne player who knows to fully exploit them.

MrBody on
    I count 5 wins for Khorne coming as a direct result of the unnerfed Bloodletter upgrade.

Not surprised at Nurgle's current win percentage. A bit surprised at Slaanesh's since I've personally thought she has a certain string of skills and cards that give her quite an advantage. Tzeentch's seems about right and the Rat is being the Rat and otherwise still is mysterious.

Characters
This discussion has been closed.