As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WIC - Demo out (Everyone wants to rule the World)

• cheXziecheXzie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This game is so preeeeteeee

screen0025lg8.th.jpg screen0033kw5.th.jpg screen0034rq0.th.jpg screen0035xr3.th.jpg
    screen0036tw4.th.jpg screen0037zp3.th.jpg screen0038ye8.th.jpg screen0100ua5.th.jpg
    screen0107sm0.th.jpg screen0111lf8.th.jpg screen0114mb7.th.jpg

cheXzie on
    cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fuel Air Bomb may be the most satisfying weapon in any PC game ever. Im totally serious.

First the fiel sprays in the air and then there is this small explosion then this ripple of fire outwards and this beautiful shockwave that flattens everything. So good.

Daisy cutter is good too, I love the gigantic bomb that falls from the plane so slowly.

Nukes are cool but recently in games when I get circa 70-80 tac I do the triple tier 2 bombs rather than a single nuke. Kills more and is arguably a more satisfying end to a game.

The_Scarab on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    C'mon, downloooaad faster!
    Started with around 200KB/S and now it's around 150kb/s, just so it'll always take 2 hours D:
    I wonder if my comp will handle it though.

Burning Organ on
    edited July 2007
    Runs at a rock solid 60 on my rig at pretty much max settings.

Though when I zoom in on the water for some reason it slows to 3 or 4 fps. Something to do with the shaders or something but its only the water. Which looks cool I guess. Seems like the game scales really really well on old PCs but has some bugs in the beta causing issues. So give it a try I guess it will run no matter what and it is totally worth it.

Ive also found you get surprisingly large reward to doing hit and run attacks as an Air player. 3 heavy choppers can get in, take out their arty for mega bucks and get out taking 1 or 2 casualties at most, and thats if they have AA. If they dont you rape em so hard. Basically my entire playstyle focusses around zerging them early on then using a superbomb of somesort to clear a path for my allies to advance. I also take great pleasure in being the tac bitch for a team I went with for about 20 rounds on one server. They would just dump all their tac on me all the time a constant drip feed and it was glorious. Which is why I crave a sandbox mode of some sort. also I hear a demo is out after the beta with a SP mission and skirmish. thats awesome.

The_Scarab on
    edited July 2007
    Well, I have a X1600 and some pretty slow processor, so I dunno.... I didn't really check minimum requirements :D

Burning Organ on
    edited July 2007
    There arent so many units on screen and most of the 'physics' is just fancy particle effects. Its probably more GPU intensive so you should be ok.

I on the other hand run an insane rig I bought about a month ago. Dual core insanity up in here.

The_Scarab on
    edited July 2007
    All the dual cores for s939 were sold out when I got my rig D:
    I get a new one in a month or so, around the same time that quad cores will come out... I'll always have less cores D;
    Sooo.. How awesome is the game?

Burning Organ on
    edited July 2007
    So awesome.

The_Scarab on
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For some reason I keep getting booted out of games. :|

Squirrel Rancher on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, my connection just keeps lagging out. There's a few other people on the beta forum with the same problem, so I've only managed to play one game so far. Also my main rig is busy waiting for a new power supply so I'm on my 3 year old PC. Still looks pretty nice though, I think the ingame benchmark is a worst case scenario as well, so you can aim your settings a bit higher too.

Rook on
    edited July 2007
    Is it me or does resupply never work?

cheXzie on
    cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
  • ghenghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cheXzie wrote: »

Are your units standing still when you're resupplying them? Seemed to work fine for me as long as they were (unless I'm completely imagining things)

ghen on
    edited July 2007
    So I could play in two servers, both which were hard to find. In the first, everything was choppy (Not hardware related) so I disconnected and joined another server, and it was the same. Both servers had around the same amount of ping (below 100 atleast) and I got kicked out of the second server for some reason, and now I can't log in....
    Whoah.

Burning Organ on
    edited July 2007
    ghen wrote: »

Are your units standing still when you're resupplying them? Seemed to work fine for me as long as they were (unless I'm completely imagining things)

I've tried everything. In the field, in the spawn area, etc. The resupply button is always grayed out for me.

cheXzie on
    cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Would I be correct in assuming that resupply is supposed to repair damaged units?

Endomatic on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My Anti Tank infantry didn't want to shoot rokkets at the helicopters. Is that a USA only thing or something? Also, the USA Heavy Artillery is garbage. Great like 20 rockets that all land in different places and do mediocre damage.

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Would I be correct in assuming that resupply is supposed to repair damaged units?

You would be correct. That is the purported claim.
    My Anti Tank infantry didn't want to shoot rokkets at the helicopters. Is that a USA only thing or something? Also, the USA Heavy Artillery is garbage. Great like 20 rockets that all land in different places and do mediocre damage.

I have no problems with it. I almost always use two heavy artillery at the same time while aiming at the ground they stand on (hold F and click). Anything within the red circle of death is dead within 2 volleys.

As for infantry, I anti-armor units only shoot ground based units. Regular infantry is the one that uses Anti Air missiles (maybe?)

cheXzie on
    cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
  • ghenghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've tried everything. In the field, in the spawn area, etc. The resupply button is always grayed out for me.

I tested it just to make sure, it works for me. If your units haven't lost any members it won't work though. Look for a grey smoke signal near the units once you've used the ability (default hotkey is insert I think, try that if nothing else).

The regular infantry hits air units, AT infantry isn't supposed to (although they may with rifles, which probably uncovers them in forests and if so, hold fire is your friend).

ghen on
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I don't like US Heavy Art much either. It's WAY too easy to tell where that came from. The smoke that's left in the air will let the enemy know EXACTLY where you shot from, and you can expect some helis to come and kill your Heavy Art.

I also don't like the AA much. It's SO fucking slow. It really needs to go faster. Medium AA is garbage. A chaingun that takes 10 seconds to kill 1 chopper just isn't good enough. They suck against Infantry too.

Now that I've been playing a lot, I've noticed through others, and my own experience, that Air is very powerful but is difficult to keep alive. There are a lot of Air players out there, and as long as you keep moving your helis around, you're golden.

Endomatic on
  • LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Personally, I think the medium AA's are great. If you have alot of them they can pretty much fuck up hostile air easily, and the direct fire at ground really is nasty for hostile infantry. The thing with the med AA is that they are pretty cheap, so you can mass up many of them. That said, I am mainly an armor player, and I love any kind of AA assistance I get :p

Luiane on
    Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm loving infantry for paratroopers. I like the arty strikes.

tyrannus on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »

You would be correct. That is the purported claim.

I have no problems with it. I almost always use two heavy artillery at the same time while aiming at the ground they stand on (hold F and click). Anything within the red circle of death is dead within 2 volleys.

As for infantry, I anti-armor units only shoot ground based units. Regular infantry is the one that uses Anti Air missiles (maybe?)

''The Red Circle of Death isn't the AOE, its where the shots will fall into.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can I get a clan invite. My game name is Narv107

P.S. This will be my first online RTS experience, I usually just prefer to do a skirmish comp stomp usually but this game intrigues me enough to try it against humans and face the inevitable anal soreness.

narv107 on
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So what torrent file do I need to set this up?

Bearcat on
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just played my first game. I went infantry and had a pair of transport heli's from the start to move around. Being able to focus on a highly mobile force of easily repaired units like infantry was awesome. I guess those white smaller circles around the control points are build locations. Now that I know that I think I'll have a bit of an easier time holding points.

I really like how the game keeps the number of units under your control rather small but you still get massive battles because your teammates are also commanding small squads very carefully as well.

narv107 on
    edited July 2007
    I think someone mentioned this, its a 2 player game played by 16 people. You control far less units and have to work as a team. The games focus needs to play up the tactical support. That is a very cool feature and the normal ground/air combat is kinda generic and boring. While Im playing the game Im basically meatgrinding my units to get TP for special moves, which are so awesome.

The_Scarab on
    edited July 2007
    Those little white things are the "towers" that pop up as you sit your guys in the larger control area. The more guys you have, the faster it builds.

3 Heavy tanks can get all 3 of them up in like a minute.

I get kinda frustrated playing this. Not many people will assist you, and I always seem to get the idiots on my team.

If the other team has 3 players playing AIR, and we have 4 players playing support, I don't want to see fucking 12 Heavy Artillery on the field OKAY? For fuck sake.

All the support players that I get on my team do is put out as much Heavy Art as possible and just shoot randomly hoping to blow some shit up.

Meanwhile, the other teams' air players (or shit, the armor players because there is nothing to stop them) just roll in and fuck them up. What do they do? Call more heavy artillery. Oh, maybe ONE medium AA, cause they can't call down another heavy Art.

I want to strangle people through the internet.

I also don't really like the way Air works. Heavy Choppers are VERY inaccurate and you pretty much need to use that missle ability to kill anything. All they are really good against is tanks, and they're aren't even really that good.

So you mostly just go mediums. Since there are several air players per team, you have like 15 medium helis around at all times harassing the shit out of everything, and when you do get a decent Support player, your AA doesn't have a hope in hell of keeping up. The things moves WAY too slow, and is vulnerable vs. everything.

It's like a very sadistic rock scissors paper, where Paper can beat rock, but only sometimes, and gets fucked up badly by scissors as usual.

Maybe I suck, but I do tend to get top 3 in points fairly often, so I can't be THAT bad. I get the mechanics of the game and how units are vulnerable to others, but it just seems that no matter where you go, there is a unit sitting there that counters whatever you got.

Endomatic on
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay, I'm finally getting around to downloading and installing this again. I was distracted by linux antics.

But I love me some WiC, I'll be on as soon as I finish DLing.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Medium helicopters can't do shit against tanks though. So massing those is an exercise in fucking futility. I don't know why you have so much trouble using heavy choppers. yeah the hellfire is a godsend, but their rockets are pretty fucking powerful too.

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited July 2007
    Massing med chopppas is great for ruining other groups of choppers though, so there is an advantage to that.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, and since everyone uses Medium Choppers, Heavies are a fucking waste, every time.

Yeah Long, I'll agree they aren't horrible, and when the tanks aren't moving at all, they are accurate, but fuck me, so many times I've had 4 heavies shooting a moving heavy tank, and I got MAYBE 1/10th of it's life in that hail of missiles.

Couple that with the fact that everyone ALWAYS goes full mediums (from my experience), there's just no point.
    You're pigeon-holed into a certain aspect of a role because the other option just will not work plain and simple.

I think they need to decrease the costs or something. Make it possible to field a mix of units and still be effective.

If I'm playing Air, and go say 2 heavies and 3 or 4 mediums, I get fucked by the guy on the other team that goes full mediums. Since my heavies are slow as fuck, they go down easy. Mediums vs. Mediums are the same speed, so while I'm trying to retreat, I get fucked. If I stay and fight, I get fucked.

If I go full heavies, I get fucked by the same mediums.

If I go full mediums, I can maybe slug it out with another air player. More than likely, I run into 1 or 2 heavy AA hiding somewhere, or some infantry hiding in a forest, and go down in a few seconds. All my choppers. It's 2 Heavy AA missiles per medium. 3 infantry missiles.

If I play support, I'll usually call down 2 heavy Arts, 1 heavy AA and a medium AA, then a repair tank when I'm able.

So many times, they'll just loop their fast movers around the edge of the map, Heavy Missle my AA (it only takes 1 and a normal salvo to kill it), and my medium AA will just get fucked because it sucks. Then my Art is toast of course.

Medium Artillery is garbage. It just sucks balls period. Yeah it's good against infantry, the role no one plays.
    Heavy AA is useless as a single. You pretty much NEED to have at least 2 to be effective.

So then I get frustrated and go full AA or 1 art and the rest AA, and then I can't catch anything. I move around the map and try to anticipate and sometimes I'll do well if I'm lucky to be in the right spot at the right time, but then I have to CONSTANTLY move because Heavy AA is the most delicious Artillery target in the game. Since there are always several support players (you see the pattern?) your AA just gets bombed whenever you try to survey the map for positioning/targets. The problem is the speed of the AA.

They should just remove infantry and armor, because that's really all the games are... Air Vs. Support. The tanks usually stay where it's safe, on their side of the river, and when they do move, they get carpet bombed, Laser bombed, Hit with artillery, smoked by heavies (helis), tank bustered etc etc.

Whilst the cheapest fucking Tactical aid in the game, just destroys Infantry with EASE and creates an impassible barrier, burns the infantries only source of advantage (forest) and make buildings un-enterable for a minute or two if they aren't outrightly destroyed.

Endomatic on
    edited July 2007
    As Arnie would say "STOP WHINING!". Joking aside, a lot of what you say is valid, but only when you're playing with "teh nubs". Which is a lot of people since open beta started.

Back in closed beta, if you got into a game with most good players, the stuff is pretty well balanced, and there are some real exciting games to be had.

You may say no one plays infantry, but when used properly they rape face.

When I'm done downloading, a bunch of us should hop on vent, kick ass, and take names.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
    edited July 2007
    Yes we should.

I've seen some very good infantry players, but the only reason they're good is because they:
    1.) Know what to do.
    2.) Have to be lucky enough to get ignored, which most infantry players do.
    3.) Avoid the ridiculously cheap napalm.

Transports should also hold 2 squads, not 1. They're not cost effective if all you can do is ferry your troops around in a defenseless paper sack on wheels.

Endomatic on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, does anyone have any Infantry tips they can give me? Expansive tips, I really am liking the whole style.

tyrannus on
    edited July 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    Yeah, does anyone have any Infantry tips they can give me? Expansive tips, I really am liking the whole style.

1. Always get at least one sniper at the beginning: they can help rape other inf.
    2. In general transport is a waste, however it can be invaulable at the beggining-of game rush, or for transporting your sniper to a good forest.
    3. Rape dem tanks/choppas. AT kills tanks (duh) normal inf rapes choppas
    4. Fortify buildings. This is essential, if only to distract the other team's arty.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
    edited July 2007
    Okay, I'm up and running: TO VENT!

Ingame name: Sushisource

If we have a clan I need some invitez

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    After a couple of hours of play. I think I can safely say the gameplay itself is pretty awesome.

The unit selection however is fucking awful. I like that they've come up with a way via military branches (sort of) to allow specialization, however what the fuck is up with each tree only getting 3 useful units? When it comes to infantry you only really get two... anti-armor soldiers, and plain ol' soldier soldiers. Yeah snipers are nice, and I like the command point attacks. I just can't see myself or many others playing this game for more than a week or so (in public games) before wondering why they loved it so much.

In private games, or with a friend or two to coordinate with the game gets a thousand million percent more involving. I wish they could come up with incentive for pub players to involve themselves in teammates attacks/retreats more often.

also: micro-managed air is fucking unstoppable... heavy anti air's got nothing on hellfire swarms with flares. I can easily see the game becoming infantry or armor for point control, and everyone else going air.

dispatch.o on
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

1. Always get at least one sniper at the beginning: they can help rape other inf.
    2. In general transport is a waste, however it can be invaulable at the beggining-of game rush, or for transporting your sniper to a good forest.
    4. Fortify buildings. This is essential, if only to distract the other team's arty.

Man infantry is way too slow to do without transports.

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited July 2007
    Need an invite to the clan.

Username: Track

dispatch.o on
    edited July 2007

Man infantry is way too slow to do without transports.

I usually use a trio of junker trucks at start to drive to points, drop off the infantry to hide in the building/bushes then leave the junker on the point to fortify it. It works awesome as bait for choppers and gives their artillery something to waste its time on instead of my precious mans.

dispatch.o on