As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Minecraft] Beta testers at war

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Darmak wrote: »
    No, you have to know beforehand what mods that server is running and install them yourself. However, if you use Magic Launcher you can toggle mods on an off and it won't actually install anything.

Or you can use MultiMC and create an instance for each server and another for SP, each with their own set of mods, and just run the instance you want to use.

You could do that but you can also set up different profiles (such as one for each server) that will not only load different mods but different versions of Minecraft (because Magic Launcher can downgrade and upgrade
    your version of Minecraft too).

edit; sorry, I was mistaken, it doesn't downgrade or upgrade for you but you can have it select different minecraft.jar files so if you have older versions you can switch between them.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    No, you have to know beforehand what mods that server is running and install them yourself. However, if you use Magic Launcher you can toggle mods on an off and it won't actually install anything.

Or you can use MultiMC and create an instance for each server and another for SP, each with their own set of mods, and just run the instance you want to use.

You could do that but you can also set up different profiles (such as one for each server) that will not only load different mods but different versions of Minecraft (because Magic Launcher can downgrade and upgrade

edit; sorry, I was mistaken, it doesn't downgrade or upgrade for you but you can have it select different minecraft.jar files so if you have older versions you can switch between them.

MultiMC can do that, as well.

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Checked out Magic Launcher last night - it's great! Thanks for the suggestion @Darmak.
    I much prefer it to having to maintain more than one instanced directory.

Edit: Not that there's anything wrong with MultiMC, Minecraft Profile Manager, etc, but there are little things like the server list, login info, etc, that can be a pain to replicate between dirs. Matter of personal taste.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23

MultiMC can do that, as well.

So does your mokay so I got nothin :rotate:

Seriously though, MultiMC is a great suggestion and everyone should look into both and use what's best for them.

JtgVX0H.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    eobet wrote: »
    Do mods get automatically installed when you go on a server which uses them and then automatically uninstalled/deactivated when you leave that server?

No, but a lot of modded servers use mods that only change things on the server end.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Anybody know what errors mean in Magiclauncher? Trying to use NightSky+ and it's showing 7 errors... this mod shouldn't really conflict with anything that I'm aware of. Crashes when I start.

::edit:: oh, looks like it clashes with Optifine. Dammit :(

And others apparently, even with Optifine off it shows 4 errors. Man I wish Notch would get off his ass and make modding halfway sane.

Fleeb on
    Have you tried changing the order the mods load in? Sometimes that can make a difference. Otherwise, try looking in the threads for all the mods and see if anyone else has had similar problems.

JtgVX0H.png
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Anybody know what errors mean in Magiclauncher? Trying to use NightSky+ and it's showing 7 errors... this mod shouldn't really conflict with anything that I'm aware of. Crashes when I start.

::edit:: oh, looks like it clashes with Optifine. Dammit :(

And others apparently, even with Optifine off it shows 4 errors. Man I wish Notch would get off his ass and make modding halfway sane.

It might still work. Some mods, when used together, are supposed to overwrite each other. Example, Forge overwrites a few files in Modloader, it's supposed to.

Test it to see if it works.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    @Podunk my 4 year old loves Minecraft too. He likes taming wolves so they follow him around. Broke his heart the first time he saw me kill a piggy :(

Did you have to stop killing animals around him? My wife doesn't play but she doesn't like seeing me kill "helpless piggies and cows," so I had to start farming. :rotate:
    One of my friend's kids saw me playing and killing cows and I let him play. I came back a few minutes later to a large chest filled with raw beef and leather.

MuddBudd wrote: »
    It might still work. Some mods, when used together, are supposed to overwrite each other. Example, Forge overwrites a few files in Modloader, it's supposed to.

Test it to see if it works.

Yeah it doesn't. Oh well, I'll wait and see if it becomes compatible.
    @Podunk my 4 year old loves Minecraft too. He likes taming wolves so they follow him around. Broke his heart the first time he saw me kill a piggy :(

Did you have to stop killing animals around him? My wife doesn't play but she doesn't like seeing me kill "helpless piggies and cows," so I had to start farming. :rotate:
    One of my friend's kids saw me playing and killing cows and I let him play. I came back a few minutes later to a large chest filled with raw beef and leather.

I actually used it as a teaching moment. He now knows where hamburger and bacon comes from.

I actually used it as a teaching moment. He now knows where hamburger and bacon comes from.

Notch?

Found yet another cool mod called The Dust Mod that adds magic in the form of runes you must draw using magical dust. They're pretty useful but a lot of them require a sacrifice/reagent and the dust itself isn't something you'd have a ton of sitting around I don't think. It's still really cool and totally worth checking out.

JtgVX0H.png
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    So minecraft is pretty great.

And than I found minecraft museum.

People who make things like this are pretty awesome people.

ggs15-27.png

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    SkyCaptain wrote: »

In that thread someone linked a Zork map as well!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    So trading is coming, and apparently with a new ore type as well (upper left, under the vines):

Z113y.png

steam_sig.png
    Upper right, and it looks like redstone.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Don't think so; redstone ore isn't that shiny nor do the red bits match the redstone block:

w6sKl.png

dd6IG.png

steam_sig.png
    Wow, anybody use TerraFirmaCraft? Looks like it'd be candied crack for Dwarf Fortress fans.

So...listening to Black Keys - Gold on the Ceiling while in fact mining gold on the ceiling makes it part of my minecraft soundtrack.

edited May 2012
    derp

Mulletude on
    I've been listening to this over and over and over at work while playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

JtgVX0H.png
    Something is wrong with me

JtgVX0H.png
    Something is wrong with me

You may need help.

• SonarSonar Registered User regular
    So I'm depressed.

Using the Zepplin mod I built a fine air ship named the Willie Jack. This had it all, a skiff on the bow, captains cabin, storage, and work shop with an excellent bridge, lighting, rails and a gold figurehead.

I set course toward the sunrise on an epic quest to find the edge of the world. Several days out I put down on a small jettie and found a cave that led to a massive mine system. I used it as a provisioning base and stripped it down, building an electric rail system back to the ship as well as a full service dock and processing center.

Spending weeks in game to load the ship full of all the materials I would need for my infinite journey I finally lifted off set course . Ten minutes later at speed 6 I fell through the upper deck, through the lower and into a vast ocean.

So ends the Willie Jack.

Back up your saves kids.

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    Wait, so you fell through the world and the ship was destroyed? How does that work?

Are you playing hardcore? (Why would anyone play hardcore?)

steam_sig.png
    Doesn't the zeppelin float downwards when there's no pilot?

• NoughtNought Registered User regular

Nope. And there is a bug in the Zepplin mod that means you can fall through the floor sometimes. I'm surprised that you fell through the second floor too, as that had been my plan to avoid falling out. Of cause, I also use IC2 so I have an electric jumppack. But that has an upper limit that is lower than the fuel powered one, so no garanti on getting back if you fly high.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    When I fell I slid sideways and into the hull side, essentially the entire area became immaterial to me. Watching it go off into the distance was heart breaking. I wish I had pictures, it was a pretty ship.

*sigh*

Enough of that though, time to build an aircraft carrier. A flying aircraft carrier.

steam_sig.png

Different mod, Zepplin mod makes it so that a controller block connects everything it touches up to over 1000 blocks and makes it into a big flying chunk. Use pistons as landing gear or take acres of land with you.

The one you are talking about was an object into itself.

steam_sig.png
  • Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    Sounds like you should recreate the floating cities at the end of Ringworld.

edited May 2012
    Here's a good video that shows off the mod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjONXBOx5wQ

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    Does anyone know of a mod that spawns a village or fortress and starts sending enemy units at you? Like a goblin shaman spawns some warriors and comes to your location to mess stuff up?

steam_sig.png
    Sonar wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a mod that spawns a village or fortress and starts sending enemy units at you? Like a goblin shaman spawns some warriors and comes to your location to mess stuff up?

Not quite what you're describing, but: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/780480-125-invasion-mod-v094-so-you-think-your-base-is-tough-do-you/

JtgVX0H.png
    edited May 2012
    Also, mostly unrelated but don't make runes from the dust mod on a zeppelin and activate the zeppelin. It crashes the game and the ship disappears. Sort of like a magical vortex that knocks you unconscious and removes the ship from this plane (I lost a lot of shit though, nooooooo)

Also, I have to recommend the Smart Moving and the Mine and Blade: Battlegear mods. With these plus all the others I'm using (the invasion mod, mystcraft, the dust mod, twilight forest, zeppelin mod, and clay soldiers) it's like Minecraft is an entirely different game now, holy shit.

edit: I keep finding more mods like ComputerCraft which is holy fucking shit. Imagine combining that with the laser mod or anything that interacts with redstone! Plus I checked out that TerraFirmaCraft mod linked by @Fleeb and that's amazing as well.

edit edit: The Fairy Factions Colonization looks really fun too.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    There was also a mod that added goblin villages to the world. I need to find that one again and see if it is updated for 1.2.5.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Sonar wrote: »
    So I'm depressed.

Using the Zepplin mod I built a fine air ship named the Willie Jack. This had it all, a skiff on the bow, captains cabin, storage, and work shop with an excellent bridge, lighting, rails and a gold figurehead.

I set course toward the sunrise on an epic quest to find the edge of the world. Several days out I put down on a small jettie and found a cave that led to a massive mine system. I used it as a provisioning base and stripped it down, building an electric rail system back to the ship as well as a full service dock and processing center.

Spending weeks in game to load the ship full of all the materials I would need for my infinite journey I finally lifted off set course . Ten minutes later at speed 6 I fell through the upper deck, through the lower and into a vast ocean.

So ends the Willie Jack.

Back up your saves kids.

It should stop moving if you get too far away from it. I fell off mine while it was moving and thought I would have to outrun it, but it stopped and I could build up a top to hop back on.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    New weekly snapshot is up:

http://www.mojang.com/2012/05/minecraft-snapshot-week-21/
    • Villagers will trade items (they are cheap bastards, though!)
    • Added a “currency item”
    • A few minor terrain changes
    • A new useful block/item (requires obsidian)
    • Added a /seed command for showing the map seed
    • Added sandstone stairs
    • A lot of smaller changes and fixes

And some other unlisted stuff (is there a spoiler policy for unlisted changes in this thread?):
    The currency item is Emerald, which is mined from that new red block on the previous page (which is supposed to be green, but is bugged). Unlisted stuff includes buying chain mail from villagers, sandstone villages, jungle villages, desert pyramids, boobytrapped crypts, and random desert wells. Oh, and the new Ender Chest, made with obsidian and an Ender Eye, which lets the contents of the chest be accessed anywhere else there is another Ender Chest, basically acting as a shared stash.

I found a pyramid earlier while messing around. It's larger than it looks, since it's half-buried in sand:
    bEpCtEKs

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    My dream mod would be a colonial mod where you get up to 12 musket wielders in a unit led by an officer unit. You direct the officer to a spot and the men follow him. He chooses targets. Add in a cannon unit and I'mI in heaven. For an opposition I'd like to randomly spawn a shaman unit, who then spawns goblin archers, orcish melee units, and trebuchet units. The colonial units have range and damage, the shaman units have speed and melee advantage, plus shaman magic spells.

Behavior wise, the shaman can spawn in an area that the player is in and has a certain number of player made blocks. That is, X number of cobblestone/iron/wood/diamond/gold = a chance of a shaman spawning. The more player made blocks, the bigger the chance. The Shaman spawns his army and moves to the closest player made blocks and destroys them down to 0 level, until all player blocks are destroyed. If a player is present, or soldiers, they are targeted first.

Soldier behavior.

When moving, follow in line behind the lead unit.

When in formation, two lines, front line kneeling.

Target leaders target.

Sentry mode.

In this mode, player selects blocks and each block selected a unit stays on, and calls an alert/engages enemy units near by.

steam_sig.png
    My dream mod would be a progression based, city / empire building mod that gives you control over the peasants, soldiers, etc. and includes npc factions doing the same thing. Goblins, orcs, other humans and more. You could ally / trade / war with them too. The different technologies would only be accessible after reaching specific achievements.