As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Space Sims Megathread (NSF56k/Aliens/Enemy Convoys)

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    It was like any other LAN party. We used a mixture of wired & wireless, and 90% of the computers connected without a problem. We've usually had at least one computer that we decided to not deal with, but given that the system requirements are so low we have always been able to find a laptop that someone isn't using any more and get it to work.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Sooooo... Moon Breakers. What's the word on that? Because it looks like Crimson Skies IIIIIINNNN SPAAAAAAACE!!! Which, I have to say, is a good thing. I'm a little wary since it's F2P. Really, I'm at work, or I'd just fire it up. Anybody had some hands on time?

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I played it, it's kind of mindless. You launch in a ship, you shoot at other ships, you die, repeat endlessly.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Aw, that's too bad. I wanted it to be good. As it is, it looks to have more 'oomph' than most space shooters. If they could get some kind of infrastructure with unlocks and the like up around the core combat, it'd probably go much further.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It has unlocks and stuff. It's kinda neat I guess, but not really a space sim.

• Options
    bcrt2000bcrt2000 Registered User regular
    The Tie Fighter Music mod is finally out: http://www.savingcontent.com/2012/05/tie-fighter-95-reconstructed-mod-restoring-original-dos-music-released/

Heres the bullet points of what it does:
    - restores original DOS score with much better quality than before (except for the intro-- unfortunately its locked to 11khz mono, but we improved it as much as we could)
    - restores better quality Voice from DOS CD-Rom version

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Sooooo... Moon Breakers. What's the word on that? Because it looks like Crimson Skies IIIIIINNNN SPAAAAAAACE!!! Which, I have to say, is a good thing. I'm a little wary since it's F2P. Really, I'm at work, or I'd just fire it up. Anybody had some hands on time?

the gameplay itself is pretty fun.

But as an whole product, Moon Breakers is utter shit. Avoid at all costs.

What good they did in the gameplay is utterly ruined by how absurd their "F2P" model is. In a very good round (10-15 minutes) you can pick up about 3000 credits (1500 more likely even on a win). While upgrading a ship isn't too expensive (about normal for an F2P game) unlocking new ships is totally fucked (and you only get access to 2 for free). It costs several hundred thousand credits to unlock a ship. Even if you pay them cash money you are looking at $5 (ish) to unlock a single ship in the game.

I also got the strong impression that these absurd prices are linked to a very "pay to win" situation. When I was playing very few people had the other ship types but those who did were just cleaning up.

edit: also really bad problems with people lagging in just such a way (and consistantly) as to make them invulnerable. Especially when they had the flag in CTF mode.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    bcrt2000 wrote: »
    The Tie Fighter Music mod is finally out: http://www.savingcontent.com/2012/05/tie-fighter-95-reconstructed-mod-restoring-original-dos-music-released/

Heres the bullet points of what it does:
    - restores original DOS score with much better quality than before (except for the intro-- unfortunately its locked to 11khz mono, but we improved it as much as we could)
    - restores better quality Voice from DOS CD-Rom version

Ooh, nice. :^: Been waiting on this.

• Options
    insolentinsolent Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    There's an awesome blockbuilding indie space sim in pre-alpha, called ScrumbleShip. It's pretty unique, even compared to the other blockbuilding indie space sims in development. It'll eventually be totally open world (or open space?) multiplayer, with travel between solar systems reminiscent of Freelancer.

The game will have very realistic combat, with damage modeling on ships and crew down to the individual voxel, a heat transfer engine (90% done) that can model when your ship is melting or cooking the crew alive, and a force engine to model when a ship buckles under an impact or its own acceleration. These damage systems will all take into account what material things are made out of, and the materials' physical properties.

The game will also follow the law of conservation of energy - the ship's systems will all need power, and you'll need to produce that power with an engine or reactor using fuel you've refined (all the way up from asteroid ore, no less!) or through solar panels. All ship parts must be 3D printed from materials mined and refined from asteroids.

So far the shipbuilding aspect of the game is largely in place. Here's a ship I'm currently working on - she's over 280 meters long, and will have 5 meter thick tungsten hull when complete. Yes, it's a dark picture - the flashlight was turned down pretty low:

SSQueenMaryAnn.png
    It's hard to make out, but there is a hangar bay on the side of the ship just before the wing starts. I will be able to launch fighters and bombers from it.

Here's one of the game's modular factories the player builds to assemble components from raw materials:

factory.png

And here's the inside of a ship made out of butter. No, it would not do well in a fight, or even turning on its own engines:

modernbutter.png

This game is going to be amazing.

insolent on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Sounds a lot like Blockade Runner.

Also, I can barely make your ship out in that first pic.

...And a ship made out of butter!?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Indeed, it's made of butter! :D The developer said he included butter to test out his heat engine when he first programmed it as a separate project. You can make a ship out of butter, or diamond, or whatever, and the materials will react accordingly to heat and force.

You're right, it is similar to Blockade Runner (though I'm pretty sure ScrumbleShip was in development first, but whatever) - it's just going to be an order of magnitude more detailed and realistic. It is first and foremost a simulation, not an arcade/action game - though battles are going to be crazy fun. :) Simulated battles are what the game is all about.

True, it is hard to see my ship there. I had the flashlight turned down in that picture (it conserves the suit battery). Also, Dirkson (the one-man dev team) is still working on a raycaster and occlusion culling. The graphics will undergo some improvement before the 1.0 release.

insolent on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    that scrumbleship game looks interesting, is it still pretty much in alpha? Can I do things other then just build a ship out of butter?

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Is there a derek smart game worth playing with patience?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    that scrumbleship game looks interesting, is it still pretty much in alpha? Can I do things other then just build a ship out of butter?

why would you want to?

• Options

why would you want to?

i want to build a butter ship, and go out in a fiery glaze of glory attacking someone else.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    i want to build a butter ship, and go out in a fiery glaze of glory attacking someone else.

That's pretty much the whole point. : ) Or rather, the point is to make them go out in a blaze of glory, while you win and collect the sum you wagered on.

The game is still in pre-alpha, about to hit alpha. So far you can build your ship, and zap it with early prototype lasers to see the damage. The earliest multiplayer modes will consist of battle simulations, where players and their human and/or AI crews man the ships they built against one or more other players and their ships. Each captain can wager a certain amount if they like, and game modes will vary. Capture the captain terminal, last man standing, most damage done, and other modes are planned. These are simulations, so the ships will be intact when it's over.

As the game development progresses, however, these battlefields will be stitched together until it becomes an open world game, with each server a solar system, and the servers linked by warp gate space stations owned by the server hosts. Some of these servers will be safe zones where battles are by invitation only and damage is not permanent (unless the players agree that it will be), and some server-systems will be lawless zones where battles can occur at any time and damage will be permanent.

The real beauty of the game, I think, is that players can make ships out of butter (or tungsten, or gold, or anything) as long as you can mine and refine enough of it - and then blow them up in spectacular detail and in physically-accurate ways. And the fact that this will ultimately all be done in a multiplayer sandbox setting is the icing on the cake.

insolent on
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    insolent wrote: »
    As the game development progresses, however, these battlefields will be stitched together until it becomes an open world game, with each server a solar system, and the servers linked by warp gate space stations owned by the server hosts. Some of these servers will be safe zones where battles are by invitation only and damage is not permanent (unless the players agree that it will be), and some server-systems will be lawless zones where battles can occur at any time and damage will be permanent.

The real beauty of the game, I think, is that players can make ships out of butter (or tungsten, or gold, or anything) as long as you can mine and refine enough of it - and then blow them up in spectacular detail and in physically-accurate ways. And the fact that this will ultimately all be done in a multiplayer sandbox setting is the icing on the cake.

This sounds altogether badassed.
    The day I can blow a hole in an enemy ship and watch the crew getting sucked into space by the decompression... that day I will be a very happy man.... er, space captain.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options

why would you want to?

Aboard the USS Butterface:

Captain! There's a hostile ship on an intercept course!

Scan it!

Sir, its hull.... it appears to be wholly constructed of cinnamon rolls.

...ramming speed

• Options
    The day I can blow a hole in an enemy ship and watch the crew getting sucked into space by the decompression... that day I will be a very happy man.... er, space captain.

That will happen, probably a lot. But if they're wearing spacesuits with thrust packs at the time, it may not be the end of the fight!

Check out the wiki at ScrumbleShip.com for loads more detail than you ever wanted. Also, the #scrumbleship irc channel.

• Options
    Are you tied into the development at all insolent? you seem very knowledgeable about it, or are you just a rabid fanboy? Either is fine really, we only shun sitewhores who do not make awesome things

• Options

why would you want to?

Scan it!

...ramming speed

8->

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

That will happen, probably a lot. But if they're wearing spacesuits with thrust packs at the time, it may not be the end of the fight!

Check out the wiki at ScrumbleShip.com for loads more detail than you ever wanted. Also, the #scrumbleship irc channel.

I can't decide if I'm looking forward more to folks getting blown out of their ship by explosive decompression, or cutting a hole in the opposing ship's hull, boarding it, and wrecking every system I can find.

No, wait, I have decided. Cut a hole, board the ship, kill the life support and open the airlocks so everyone gets blown out into space. WIN WIN.

Whichever of the blockbuilding spaceship builders lets me do this first will get my money. Actually, they both might.

SammyF on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

why would you want to?

Scan it!

...ramming speed

I will crew for you any time, Captain Sir Carcass, Sir.

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

why would you want to?

Scan it!

...ramming speed

I will crew for you any time, Captain Sir Carcass, Sir.

I really feel there should be a joke about someone buttering someone's buns here...

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I kind of want to build the HMS Parkay now and have an epic struggle for supremacy...

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    SammyF wrote: »

I can't decide if I'm looking forward more to folks getting blown out of their ship by explosive decompression, or cutting a hole in the opposing ship's hull, boarding it, and wrecking every system I can find.

No, wait, I have decided. Cut a hole, board the ship, kill the life support and open the airlocks so everyone gets blown out into space. WIN WIN.

Whichever of the blockbuilding spaceship builders lets me do this first will get my money. Actually, they both might.

I recommend both, but I know that ScrumbleShip will definitely let you do all of the above by the time it's done.

Syngyne wrote: »
    I kind of want to build the HMS Parkay now and have an epic struggle for supremacy...

Margarine is easily within the realm of possibility - heck, the game already has organic materials that slowly heal when shot. But butter would win hands down. Accept no substitute!

insolent on
  • Options
    I think cream cheese would make a better hull material than either butter or margarine.

I told them computer consoles made out of bagels was a bad idea, but no one listened. they're listening now

The USS Philadelphia will not be defeated so easily.

• Options
    Gonna get me a giant pineapple, hollow that shit out and put some engines on it. Aw YEAH.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Guys, I am lactose intolerant, so I'm just gonna unsubscribe from this thread for a while.

Also, new Star Wars franchise does not appear to be a reboot of X-Wing/Tie Fighter, which is a real missed oppurtunity given the classic games revival that is going on right now in the gaming industry. MechWarrior, Shadowrun, Wasteland, Baldur's Gate, XCOM...get on it somebody!!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Would Velveeta be easier to build with?

edit: maybe it would be used for hull patches

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Gonna get me a giant pineapple, hollow that shit out and put some engines on it. Aw YEAH.

Haha I dunno about a pineapple, but you can hollow out an asteroid and slap some engines and railguns on it. Not as delicious, I know, but doable.
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Would Velveeta be easier to build with?

edit: maybe it would be used for hull patches

Maybe not easier, but certainly more delicious!
    I think cream cheese would make a better hull material than either butter or margarine.

Hm, someone should suggest that to the dev. It'd be easy enough to add cream cheese, and it would be a bit sturdier than butter. And yes, you can actually make computers (or any other component for that matter) out of butter. They'll probably melt from their own heat though, once the heat engine is implemented.

Note: Lest this thread make anyone think otherwise, ScrumbleShip isn't actually about food spaceships - it just gives you the option to make them. :P

insolent on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Note: Lest this thread make anyone think otherwise, ScrumbleShip isn't actually about food spaceships - it just gives you the option to make them. :P

That might not have been the original intention but I think ScrumbleShip has been repurposed.

EDIT: Although maybe butterships could give organic vessels heart disease.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

MechMantis on
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    Make a toast hull with Velveeta insides. When it inevitably overheats, grilled cheese spaceships!

Now I'm hungry.

• Options

Haha I dunno about a pineapple, but you can hollow out an asteroid and slap some engines and railguns on it. Not as delicious, I know, but doable.

Aw dang. What about like a giant melon, or a pumpkin or something? :)
    An asteroid pumpkin.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    lol this food business is getting out of hand. You can try the demo over at ScrumbleShip.com, or the indieDB page to see what the game is really about (so far). The demo is lagging behind in features, but you can also buy in for alpha funding and get bleeding edge releases with the new features as they're implemented. The 0.15 release is coming soon too, with major new features.

insolent on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Aiserou wrote: »
    Make a toast hull with Velveeta insides. When it inevitably overheats, grilled cheese spaceships!

Now I'm hungry.

Bonus: cover toast hull with a butter and garlic plating

Grilled cheese ships made with Texas toast

The universe would be yours

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Are you tied into the development at all insolent? you seem very knowledgeable about it, or are you just a rabid fanboy? Either is fine really, we only shun sitewhores who do not make awesome things

To answer your question (which I missed before), I am not connected to development - that's a one-coder, one-artist team; it's fair to say I'm just a rabid fanboy (though probably the most knowledgeable rabid fanboy due to all my discussions with the dev).

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I picked up a Logitech Attack 3, a copy of freelancer and I'm getting the old crew back together 8-)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Can you even use a joystick with Freelancer?

Unless you mean Freespace, then I give you a hearty "hell yeah".

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Is there a derek smart game worth playing with patience?

Every single game from Derek Smart is basically a Battlecruiser 3000 AD re-release, but with more bugs and updated graphics.

Universal Combat is kinda-sorta worth the bandwidth to download, if you just pretend it's a space cruiser combat game and forget about absolutely everything else. The planetary missions don't work, most of the crew operations don't work, space stations sometimes work and sometimes don't, etc. The whole package is a buggy clusterfuck, but the actual space combat does more or less function and is... okay-ish. It's not well balanced and you can never put much of a fleet together, so mostly you'll go around blowing away pirate frigates...

...Y'know, I just went and watched a couple of YouTube clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xlYS1erDmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R94jmLqtc6I

...And, well, just no. Stay away from the steaming shit that came out of Derek Smart's butt.

I'm one of the unfortunate individuals that bought both BC 3K and Universal Combat when they were released. I actually paid that man some real money for that. :/

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
This discussion has been closed.