As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Are you ready for some football?

GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
In the near future, 3 major football games are being released. (By the way, that means real football, not that thing with Beckham.)

You've got your old warhorse, Madden NFL 08. We all know what to expect...decent gameplay, nice presentation, and it'll sell a fuckzillion copies. New this year is the focus on "weapons," which sounds like it should be part of some next-gen reincarnation of Mutant League Football and, by the way, why hasn't that happened yet? Rise up, gamers, and demand the return of Reggie Fright!

Ahem. "Weapons" is basically Madden-speak for star players, which will be the centerpiece of the changes. This looks like it has potential as a way to seperate the Tom Bradys and Shawn Alexanders from whoever plays for the Browns. Of course, it's EA, so the weapons will be represented by little icons which won't look at all realistic and will probably be more of a bother than anything else.

Then, you've got NCAA Football 08, featuring a new recruiting system that looks like it'll make it much easier to find the right prospect. A revamped Campus Legend mode (now in the 360 version) will allow you to take on the role of a player, balancing academics, athletics, and ethics violations.

I kid.

NCAA also features My Shrine, which can save video clips of highlights (which could be really cool). Both EA games are also supposed to feature smoother play and animations, but it's EA, so who the hell knows.

Finally, the return of the upstart 2K series with All-Pro Football. Who needs the NF|L? Here, you can make your own team from an impressive list of legends...Peyton, Montana, Rice, Butkus, and so on, each with special abilities and traits that individualize them. Your QB, for example, might have "Rocket Arm" for huge pass distance, and/or "Laser Arm" for pinpoint accuracy. This game promises the return of what made the 2K series so renowned...gameplay. Plus, it'll just be cool having Elway passing to Jerry Rice.

So, my fellow gridiron gurus, whatcha got? I'm strongly leaning toward All-Pro, though I'd definitely like a demo. The NCAA demo didn't impress me, especially with the new play-calling screen. I've vowed not to get Madden this year, but I may give in to the temptation to play as my Patriots.

steam_sig.png
IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
GoodOmens on

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This will be the real litmus test on whether or not you can sell a realistic foosball game without the No Fun League name attached to it. I think sales will be decent this year and blockbuster next year.

After having a lot of fun with Madden on the Wii I am definately going that way this time around. Improved controls+online to the most fun football experience I've had since Super Tecmo Bowl? Yes please.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll be purchasing NCAA for dynasty and APF for Online / Legends. I will probably be playing APF 2x more though. I am so pumped for this game that I have barely been able to play any other game on my 360 right now.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    APL saddens me in that MSRP is $60. One of the greatest selling points of ESPN 2k5 was the $20 price tag. Now I was not expecting it to be that low, but even $50 would have been so much better.

Full price tag AND no license? I do not see it doing very good at all. 500k units, max.

Course, if I was to pick one up, i'd go with APL. Or last years Madden, which always drops down $30 a few months before the next Madden is released.

Sanders on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hear Pro Evo is pretty good.

Now where did I leave my monacle...

LewieP on
    edited July 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    I hear Pro Evo is pretty good.

Now where did I leave my monacle...

No.
    APL saddens me in that MSRP is $60. One of the greatest selling points of ESPN 2k5 was the $20 price tag. Now I was not expecting it to be that low, but even $50 would have been so much better.

Full price tag AND no license? I do not see it doing very good at all. 500k units, max.

Course, if I was to pick one up, i'd go with APL. Or last years Madden, which always drops down $30 a few months before the next Madden is released. Today 08:52 AM
    240 Legends that look like the real thing. Check out some of the gamespot vids. It is going to be pretty awesome.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll be getting Madden on the Wii to satisfy my football needs. If I had a 360, I'd get APF instead. 2k Sports knows what they're doing.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I thought this thread was about FIFA, Strikers Charged and Pro Evo/Winning Eleven.

D:

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I got hitched this weekend and have $$$ cards from Circuit City and Best Buy literally burning holes in my pockets (someone set them on fire :P).

If anyone knows of any outlet that will have them today, let us know!!!

Yall on
  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So have we heard when they'll finally start releasing NCAA football games on Nintendo systems again? I don't want Madden for the Wii, I want to play as my Razorbacks, damnit!

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »
    So have we heard when they'll finally start releasing NCAA football games on Nintendo systems again? I don't want Madden for the Wii, I want to play as my Razorbacks, damnit!

n7932822352233006060pz2.jpg

TheSonicRetard on
    edited July 2007
    Yall wrote: »
    I got hitched this weekend and have $$$ cards from Circuit City and Best Buy literally burning holes in my pockets (someone set them on fire :P).

If anyone knows of any outlet that will have them today, let us know!!!

EBstop is doing a midnight release for NCAA here. APF will be in stores tomorrow afternoon. Circuit City has it guaranteed at 2 pm or you get a $20 gift card.
    I thought this thread was about FIFA, Strikers Charged and Pro Evo/Winning Eleven.

:v:

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Someone needs to make a CFL game.

Please.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sanders wrote: »

Course, if I was to pick one up, i'd go with APL. Or last years Madden, which always drops down $30 a few months before the next Madden is released.

do you have any idea how much it cost to pay these damn legends? Some of them were paid 6 figs!

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited July 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

Please.

Yeah I don't think that'd make back its production costs

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited July 2007
    mugginns wrote: »
    apotheos wrote: »

Please.

Yeah I don't think that'd make back its production costs

superchallengefootballek6.png

TheSonicRetard on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Considering APF. I'll definitely rent NCAA, and maybe Madden, but last year's will suit me fine most likely.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In my opinion, football makes for a far better video game than a real game (although I don't play either). My sports-loving brothers think I'm nuts.

jothki on
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    In my opinion, football makes for a far better video game than a real game (although I don't play either). My sports-loving brothers think I'm nuts.

You are nuts.

TheSonicRetard on
  • SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I guess the Arena League game didn't sell well enough to get an update? I was hoping so see what would what it would play like after a few updates.

SpikedFreak on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    In the near future, 3 major football games are being released. (By the way, that means real football, not that thing with Beckham.)

Oh yeah, because the one where you use your feet instead of your hands ain't real football. Makes perfect sense.

Also, Beckham's a twat.

Tav on
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd get NCAA but I feel somewhat burned after pre-ordering last year's edition for the 360. Anyone know what's new this year?

DesertBox on
    edited July 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    I'd get NCAA but I feel somewhat burned after pre-ordering last year's edition for the 360. Anyone know what's new this year?
    wikipedia wrote:
    NCAA Football 2008 on the Xbox 360 will run at 60 frames per second and 30 frames per second on the PS3. There will be 115 detailed stadiums, up from 40 in NCAA Football 2007. The game will also feature a new gameplay engine and branching animation system. This will allow for gang tackling and much more.

The gang tackling looks good (not 2k5 yet, but good). Also they have something very cool:

http://www.easportsworld.com/#video-920/HOME/523

You can upload replays to the web.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Tav wrote: »

Oh yeah, because the one where you use your feet instead of your hands ain't real football. Makes perfect sense.

Also, Beckham's a twat.

"football" was a general term for sports back in the mid 1800's. Soccer, Rugby, and even baseball were referred to as "football."

TheSonicRetard on
  • gleep-glopgleep-glop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

You can download the demo for NCAA 08 on the marketplace, it's very much improved. 60 FPS and a bunch of new shit that I haven't really figured out yet.

gleep-glop on
    Gricon.jpg
  • The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just hope that the 360 version of Madden/NCAA finally get the features back that my OXBox NCAA 2004 has. I suppose I can understand them taking away features because they had to adapt to a "Next Gen" console, but it's been 3 years now... I want my create-a-team, EA!

The Listener on
  • BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just hope that the 360 version of Madden/NCAA finally get the features back that my OXBox NCAA 2004 has. I suppose I can understand them taking away features because they had to adapt to a "Next Gen" console, but it's been 3 years now... I want my create-a-team, EA!

Taking fantasy drafts out of Madden was the worst video gaming event of the last 3 years.

Brue on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, just when I thought this thread had died an early death...

I've decided to go with All-Pro. The lack of a franchise does bug me, but in the past I've never played more than one season in Madden anyway, and there's always more teams to make. The gameplay looks solid, the animations look slick. And the commercial features Rakim. What else you want?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited July 2007
    Brue wrote: »

Taking fantasy drafts out of Madden was the worst video gaming event of the last 3 years.

Yea this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. I thought the graphics and animations of NCAA 07 were fine. It just that I felt like there was nothing to do besides play the actual games and some "recruiting." I wanted more control over my team's roster

DesertBox on
    edited July 2007

I've decided to go with All-Pro. The lack of a franchise does bug me, but in the past I've never played more than one season in Madden anyway, and there's always more teams to make. The gameplay looks solid, the animations look slick. And the commercial features Rakim. What else you want?

I'll be running a league over at 360A. If you're interested in joining one, let me know.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As much as I love my football with the sheer volume of other must own titles coming out this year, I may have to give Madden and NCAA a pass until 09.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'll be running a league over at 360A. If you're interested in joining one, let me know.

I wouldn't mind getting in on that if there are open slots.

I just really want this games today. I wonder why all the sites have it's release date for today, while NCAA is slotted for tomorrow?

PS - Holy crap, we have spellchecking in posts now, or is this my new version of firefox?

Yall on
    edited July 2007
    Yall wrote: »

I wouldn't mind getting in on that if there are open slots.

I just really want this games today. I wonder why all the sites have it's release date for today, while NCAA is slotted for tomorrow?

PS - Holy crap, we have spellchecking in posts now, or is this my new version of firefox?

NCAA is slotted for tomorrow and will be 'released' tomorrow, even though it is out in lots of places (broke street date). APF is scheduled to 'ship' today.

Yeah firefox has spellchecking

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll pick up All-Pro because I hate Madden.

I also hate football games.

urahonky on
    edited July 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

What exactly is the point of this post?

DesertBox on
    edited July 2007

I said I'd pick up All-Pro. Which is the point.

urahonky on
    edited July 2007

You actually expect me to believe that you're going to pick up a football game, even if you hate football games? Do you hate money as well?

DesertBox on
    edited July 2007

You actually expect me to believe that you're going to pick up a football game, even if you hate football games? Do you hate money as well?

Should have elaborated: Hate football games because of Madden.

I'm hoping All-Pro will be different. I'm all for supporting a company other than EA Sports.

urahonky on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    So, does anybody know if they finally added the godforsaken tunnel walk (or any pre-game tradition)?

FyreWulff on
  • theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i'v put plenty of time into madden and nfl2k5. so its all pro football all the way. but $60??? thats crazy. i don't have a 360 yet either, so blah, i wish it was coming out for xbox1.

the graphics and animations look great and 10x better than madden but it does look very similar to nfl2k5.

theparttime on
  • NozzNozz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i'v put plenty of time into madden and nfl2k5. so its all pro football all the way. but $60??? thats crazy. i don't have a 360 yet either, so blah, i wish it was coming out for xbox1.

the graphics and animations look great and 10x better than madden but it does look very similar to nfl2k5.

welcome to console football

Nozz on
    4811 3493 4349: Pearl FC
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.