As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Thread About Movies

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    It would be interesting. I wonder if today's audiences would give even a well-made Hitchcock remake the same gravity and respect that they gave the original works.

Basically, most of Hitchcock's famous films are templates for modern-day horror films, and horror these days is a ghetto.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    goddamn that trailer.. can you imagine them doing something like that today?

"hello, i'm micheal bay and i would like to tell you about my upcoming explosion theory course.."

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Just saw Dark Shadows. Weird is all I have to say about it.

Battleship: Fun popcorn movie

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Prometheus reviews have been coming in. Will post one tomorrow if I go see it.

The only thing I read was the blurp on Empire's 3 out of 5 star review:

"Buffeted by a lack of suspense, threadbare characters, and a very poor script, the stunning visuals, gloopy madness, and sterling Fassbenderiness can’t prevent Prometheus feeling like Alien’s poor relation. "

Didn't bother with their review, which had a 'spoilers!' warning, not so much because of spoilers (thought that is annoying) but because of a trend where review = explaining the plot, which I'm not always crazy about.

EDIT: About Hitchcock, those living in the UK will have a chance to see several of his very early films this summer:

http://www.close-upfilm.com/2011/07/bfi-brings-hitchcock-to-life-for-london-2012-festival/

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I can believe it but I'm still seeing it asap

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I might actually pay to go (or get willingly dragged to) see Battleship if it wasn't fucking called Battleship and hyped to be based on the game. Like seriously, Aliens at Sea or something.

newSig.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    The problem with Headhunters is that I wanted
    The Kingslayer
    to win.

Also, the house the main guy lives in (in the movie) is right down the road from here.

Fuck off and die.
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I'm liking the real reason for the GI Joe 2 delay. "Needs more Channing Tatum". I'm sure now it'll be a huge blockbuster.

http://enewsi.com/movies/190-22624.html

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Just watched Melancholia and pretty much hated it. Boring, pretentious, dreary nonsense.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    I'm liking the real reason for the GI Joe 2 delay. "Needs more Channing Tatum". I'm sure now it'll be a huge blockbuster.

http://enewsi.com/movies/190-22624.html

I like that the article flat out spoiled the fact that Tatum gets offed in the first five minutes and is actually dead in the film, almost like the new movie is saying "hey, we're literally killing the old movie and pretending it doesn't exist, at all..."

I guarantee now they'll have an additional 10-15 minutes of tatum, and a secret after the credits ending where you find out he's still alive.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Damnit, GI Joe producers, stop fucking shit. All the movie needs is The Rock being awesome and motherfuxking color-coded ninja action.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah seriously who the fuck cares about Channing Tatum aside from Nicolas Sparks fans. The only reason I was going to see the GI Joe movie was The fucking Rock and Bruce Willis.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I was hyped for GI Joe 2 because it looked like a GI Joe movie and the creators sounded like they respected the property.

So of course I should have expected the studio to step in and fuck it up.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Well to be fair putting DUKE back in the movie sounds more like the studio fixing what the creators fucked up in the first place. As much as I don't care about either film, killing off the main guy that every fan of the cartoon grew up with sounds pretty ridiculous.

But also Roadblock is apparently Snake Eye's ninja protege in this one so who knows what "respecting the property" really even means anymore.

• Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote: »
    So I just watched The Birds just now. Really good plot, even with the useless romance taking up 60% of it. It probably could have benefited from the original scripted ending, although it's pretty obvious that they didn't have the effects to pull it off, which was true of most of the film and the main drawback (and disbelief breaker). This is one film that could benefit from a line-by-line remake/invasive remastering. Put in some more convincing attack effects instead of moving around little cutout images and add some more serious injuries, and you've got a fantastic/perfect film.

I don't know if it would have the same weight, however. The Birds really was a summation of everything Hitchcock had done that came before it and then got followed by a lot of unsatisfactory films that meandered and waffled about.

Well to be fair putting DUKE back in the movie sounds more like the studio fixing what the creators fucked up in the first place. As much as I don't care about either film, killing off the main guy that every fan of the cartoon grew up with sounds pretty ridiculous.

But also Roadblock is apparently Snake Eye's ninja protege in this one so who knows what "respecting the property" really even means anymore.

Look when your duke sucks you kill him off. Its like offing Scott Summers because people got tired of his whiny ass.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Look when your duke sucks you kill him off. Its like offing Scott Summers because people got tired of his whiny ass.

Or because he needed to go film Superman Returns. Either or.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

What? What utter nonsense is this? No one cares about fucking Duke. Snake Eyes is where it's at.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Wait, what? He has a bit part in Superman Returns.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

Wait, what? He has a bit part in Superman Returns.

Bit? He was the third lead. And it filmed at exactly the same time.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The movies didn't give a shit about cyclops anyway.

shryke wrote: »
    The movies didn't give a shit about cyclops anyway.

Well to be perfectly honest the movies might as well be called "WOLVERINE!!!! and some other guys maybe" In like smaller text.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Jean Grey has nothing on Liz Lemon, Cyclops moved on up.

TexiKen wrote: »

Bullshit Famke Jansen would probably be down for anal/blood play/everything, where as liz would get the vapors reading fifty shades of suck.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    So I just watched The Birds just now. Really good plot, even with the useless romance taking up 60% of it. It probably could have benefited from the original scripted ending, although it's pretty obvious that they didn't have the effects to pull it off, which was true of most of the film and the main drawback (and disbelief breaker). This is one film that could benefit from a line-by-line remake/invasive remastering. Put in some more convincing attack effects instead of moving around little cutout images and add some more serious injuries, and you've got a fantastic/perfect film.

I don't know if it would have the same weight, however. The Birds really was a summation of everything Hitchcock had done that came before it and then got followed by a lot of unsatisfactory films that meandered and waffled about.

Well, he only made 5 more movies after The Birds. And it's true, most of them were pretty bad (although I haven't seen Marnie). He did make Frenzy during that time, however, which is a really good movie, probably second-tier Hitchcock. Essentially it was his "The Departed"--an energetic return to the genre he was known for.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Astaereth wrote: »

Well, he only made 5 more movies after The Birds. And it's true, most of them were pretty bad (although I haven't seen Marnie). He did make Frenzy during that time, however, which is a really good movie, probably second-tier Hitchcock. Essentially it was his "The Departed"--an energetic return to the genre he was known for.

Marnie's weird.

It's Tippy Hedrin and Sean Connery, and Connery is at his charmingest peak, but the movie really doesn't know what it's trying to do. It's thriller, then it's a romantic comedy, then it's a heist film, then it's a melodrama . . . all leading to a climax that wants to desperately be more profound than it really is.

So frenzy is a remake of a superior asian film that gets more credit than the film its a direct rip of?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Oooh Preacher don't even get me started on Infernal Affairs v. The Departed.

Kasyn wrote: »

Don't want to start a fight or nothing, but I do kind of get tired when people act like the Departed is a completely original work or something. Its a remake of an asian film that wasn't even that old with a worse ending.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Don't want to start a fight or nothing, but I do kind of get tired when people act like the Departed is a completely original work or something. Its a remake of an asian film that wasn't even that old with a worse ending.

All true.

But The Departed assembled a fuckeawesomely strong cast for western tastes, and every single person on screen owned it. It doesn't matter if it is a scene for scene remake. If what they committed to film worked, then good on them.
    I like The Departed better. So sue me.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular

I haven't encountered anyone that has a strong opinion on The Departed that isn't also aware that it's a remake.

They're just very different movies, but both are pretty great. Infernal Affairs moves at a crazy pace compared to The Departed - and I think it handles the tension better. The Departed is better acted and the dialogue is stronger - it also makes some weird decisions to stray from the source material and I don't think those work so well.

syndalis wrote: »

All true.

But The Departed assembled a fuckeawesomely strong cast for western tastes, and every single person on screen owned it. It doesn't matter if it is a scene for scene remake. If what they committed to film worked, then good on them.

Expect my attorney soon sir! I bet you even liked The girl with dragon tattoo remake!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

All true.

Expect my attorney soon sir! I bet you even liked The girl with dragon tattoo remake!

... yes? I thought the girl delivered a great performance. Daniel Craig is good times on screen. they were crazy hot together.

SW-4158-3990-6116

All true.

... yes? I thought the girl delivered a great performance. Daniel Craig is good times on screen. they were crazy hot together.

God plebians like you are the scourge of film sir. SCOURGE OF FILM!

If the sarcasm isn't evident then you might enjoy the battleship movie...

pleasepaypreacher.net

All true.

God plebians like you are the scourge of film sir. SCOURGE OF FILM!

If the sarcasm isn't evident then you might enjoy the battleship movie...
    Battleship looks great! I can't wait to sit there with my big gulp and tub of popcorn and cheer when they kill the aliens!
    trollface.png

SW-4158-3990-6116

All true.

Also only one of those two movies had Vera Farmiga with very small amounts of clothes on. +1

• Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular

Marnie's weird.

It's Tippy Hedrin and Sean Connery, and Connery is at his charmingest peak, but the movie really doesn't know what it's trying to do. It's thriller, then it's a romantic comedy, then it's a heist film, then it's a melodrama . . . all leading to a climax that wants to desperately be more profound than it really is.

Well, it's clear what Marnie wants to be which is the ultimate deconstruction of Hitchcock's usage of ice queen blondes; it's just a mess, had already been done in every other movie he made, and it bears the stench of Hitchcock buying into auteur theory and making films in that vein.

Then it was followed by that one with Paul Newman and Julie Andrews which was bad considering things like The Quiller Memorandum coming out, and because, for every good scene, it has something totally bizarre like a rear-projected scene of them dining at a cafe. I want to ask him why he did that more than anything else.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

Bullshit Famke Jansen would probably be down for anal/blood play/everything, where as liz would get the vapors reading fifty shades of suck.

Famke Janssen's only kink is sex-crushing dudes to death with her thighs.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Just got back from seeing Prometheus.

seriously, dont click the spoiler if you dont want to know my thoughts or anything about the film, go in fresh.
    but maann.. it was good, i liked it and it's clearly is a alien prequel without being tied to normal alien horror, just another horror in the same universe, but even then it doesnt even set up alien right and causes a fuck ton of plot holes

i think the decision for that fucking intro was stupid and ruins the "surprise" un-masking of the space jockey later, if you are reading this and dont care for spoilers you see the space jockey un-suited up (because the thing in alien is just a space suit they wear) right from the start which shows how the first dna spread through the planet.. i guess. it just feels weird and its something they could of put in later rather than the intro.

the whole process of noomi rapace's birthing of the first face hugger which turns into a giant face hugger which then face hugs the space jockey to make what i assume is the first queen alien is shall we say..convoluted.

if this ship even is the same ship they find in alien and everything points to it being it is, how does the space jockey get back to his ships seat for ripley and crew to find him? why do they not notice the other buildings hanging around near the crashed ship, why didnt they notice the life boat nearby or the dead corpses in the cockpit on the alien ship? the plot wholes leading into alien are my major problem, and the intro. (lets just ignore the downgrade of technology from prometheus touchscreens and stuff to 80's crt's in alien for brains sake)

the space jockeys true form is shitly done in full cgi.. i can see what they were going for but the cgi just ruins it.

the imax 3d was great though surprisingly, but the 3d suffers from the usual problem of you not noticing it anymore after the first 20 mins.

rest of it pretty good though but i do feel like it has been hyped up waaaay too much. that said the screening was fucking packed, i dont think i've been to a screening where the queue went down the street before, least not in this cinema, good job i got there stupidly early.

i noticed its structured almost exactly the same as alien too.

Deaderinred on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Famke Janssen's only kink is sex-crushing dudes to death with her thighs.

:^:

I don't care what anyone says, Goldeneye was the best Bond film.

This discussion has been closed.