As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Real Lives

Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.educationalsimulations.com

Don't know if there's already a thread in G & T about this, but I thought you guys would appreciate this. It's kinda a real-life sim, it generates a person for you and shows you what life might be like living in a randomly generated country. I've had hours of fun!

Muramasa18 on

• EtelmikEtelmik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's a thread on this already. That's very funny. This should be locked. (Sorry, someone else link where it is.)

Etelmik on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It isn't randomly generated. It's all based off of statistics.

rayofash on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Like many others who reported this thread, I'm not entirely comfortable with a thread linking directly to an .exe file unless it seems 100% legit. Muramasa18, feel free to PM me and maybe we can recreate this thread?

Although, if it's a duplicate thread, then I'll be linking to the original one shortly. Anyone who can PM me a link, or just bump the original thread, gets a high-five.

Captain K on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay, seems like this is totally legit. I can't blame people's alarm bells for going off, but it seems there's nothing to worry about, as there's already a healthy thread in SE++ about the game.

Discuss away!

Captain K on
    edited July 2007
    I finished playing this game after about 5 or 6 times through yesterday.

I think the most interesting thing that happened to me is my husband got leprosy.

rayofash on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've been executed by the security police at the young age of 25 :(

life in Nigeria sucks ...

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • NozzNozz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I died of alcoholism at age 20 (my real age).

Fucking creepy, I met some girl at age 16 with the same name as my high school sweetheart, and she broke up with me at 18 just like in real life.

I hope I can get through to october when I turn 21, yeeeesh. I just spent the entire weekend drinking.

Nozz on
    4811 3493 4349: Pearl FC
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
  • JetBlackCenterJetBlackCenter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Damn my life in egypt kicks ass

edit : Except no girls like me, apparently. My appearance is only a 4.

JetBlackCenter on
    schoolrumble4wh6zd.gif341.gif
    BRAWL CODE: 3866-7685-8500
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    58 years old
    My sister Mei-li's husband Chao has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

My sister Xu-Xa has moved out on her own. (She was 55 when she moved out... finally)

59 years old
    My sister Mei-li has rheumatoid arthritis.

My sister Mei-li's husband Chao has esophagus cancer.

My sister Mei-li's husband Chao has mouth cancer.

My sister Mei-li's husband Chao has died at age 61 from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

I ended up moving to the Bahamas at age 85, lived there for 2 years, bought some land and died from the ovarian cancer I contracted there a year earlier.
    Thanks Bahamas.

Endomatic on
    edited July 2007
    died at age 48 of cirrhosis of the liver.... damn!

JetBlackCenter on
  • MalvientMalvient Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was born a chick in California and both of my parents had no income throughout my entire life, and then they both died when me and my brother moved out. My father died from senile dementia. O_o

Malvient on
    EVE-Online: Eryx Terayen, Seraphal
    World of Warcraft - Calbert, Azjol-Nerub (PvE)
    syrairc.png
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sims: The Roguelike

I gotta check this out when I get home.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
    edited July 2007
    This is sweet, but very very depressing. I was born a girl in mexico, my dad made tons of money but when he died I made no money

Also I never had a boyfriend my entire life, and I died of dementia.

JetBlackCenter on
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh yeah, sorry, there is a thread in SE++. And I guess it was pretty dumb of me to link to an .exe file. Sorry guys!

But yeah, this game is fun. Except when you die in childbirth, or get raped at age 12.

Muramasa18 on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Muramasa18 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, sorry, there is a thread in SE++. And I guess it was pretty dumb of me to link to an .exe file. Sorry guys!

But yeah, this game is fun. Except when you die in childbirth, or get raped at age 12.

Much like real life..

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow. This game is pretty awesome.

First time through, I wound up as a nurse that became a secretary. Her parents died and left her a huge chunk of money, so she used it all to move her and her husband to America to retire. A peaceful 20-30 years in Houston before dying at age 80.

The next try, I somehow started as a nurse again. Then I randomly got the job of police captain. She was able to skip right past all the lower police jobs. So she just got married, had a kid, and raked in the money in some fairly peaceful capital city. Died at 60 or so of diabetes, probably because it'd keep cranking up the 'shopping' to 'enthusiastic' every time I lowered it down.

This is going to be really amusing for a few days.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bummerzk7.jpg

I moved to damned Massachusetts!

Why does this game wanna make these two lesbians go slum it up in the Netherlands?!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, I remember this... 'tis an old 'un, and fun for five minutes or so.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited July 2007
    If another one of my asian me's dies from chronic heart failure I'm going to become a political activist against communist china

Nozz on
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is this game supposed to be so freaking hilarious? Or is it suppose to spotlight how much it sucks to live in a third world country? I am conflicted. :|

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • CrossfireCrossfire __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    "Save a life before exiting?"

"No."

Crossfire on
    edited July 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    Is this game supposed to be so freaking hilarious? Or is it suppose to spotlight how much it sucks to live in a third world country? I am conflicted. :|

Everything that happens to you is a direct result of the statistics taken from around the world. Any humor you derive from it is either a result of errors in the statistics, or the cold hard truth.

Nozz on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nozz wrote: »

Fucking creepy, I met some girl at age 16 with the same name as my high school sweetheart, and she broke up with me at 18 just like in real life.

I hope I can get through to october when I turn 21, yeeeesh. I just spent the entire weekend drinking.
    That is some twilight zone level shit, Nozz.

FreddyD on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Born in Algeria Kulla Chahine came from a pretty well off family, her father was a police officer and her mother was a secretary. She went through her first years of life without at hitch, at age 6 her sister Lotus was born and at age 8 her brother Jalloun was born, she skated through school without ever having a boyfriend despite being quite beautiful. At the age of 16 she went to technical school and met her first of many girlfriends, the relationship lasted until she was 20.

Kulla got a job as a secretary and lived with her parents until she was 27 all the while dating many girls on and off. At 27 she moved out on her own and lived meagerly until the age of 39 when she met the love of her life Amghar Hadda whom she married 2 years later. Amghar and Kulla lived in Algeria for many years and saved up money so that they could one day emigrate to a more livable country. That break came the year that Kulla turned 57, they had saved up enough money to move to the Greater Manchester area of the UK.

Life was alot better in the UK with both Kulla and Amghar working full time jobs they were able to have many nice things and a very respectable house. Kulla worked as a salesperson in the UK until the age of 81 at which time she became a scavenger of used goods, at the age of 87 her husband Amghar passed away due to an infection and she lived out life alone homeless and hungry until the age of 91 when she passed away, alone in the UK without any family and without ever having a child due to living a "career centered" life.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
    edited July 2007
    I died from dysentery while trying to emigrate to Oregon :( .

rayofash on
    edited July 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Nozz wrote: »

That is some twilight zone level shit, Nozz.

I sat there staring at the screen in complete shock when I died. The girlfriend thing was fucking bizarre then that happens? I was speechless. That was my first round too.

Nozz on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Interesting. Boring bits cropped:

0 years old
    I was born a girl in the city of Richmond in the state of Virginia in the United States.

My parents have named me Rose. My surname is Parker. My mother, Michelle, is 20 and my father, Clarence, is 25. I have no brothers or sisters. (father is an alcoholic)

2 years old

Asthma.

5 years old
    Brother Harold born.

12 years old

My father has given up drinking.

16 years old
    Began work as a restaurant services worker.

17 years old
    I suffered a case of food poisoning.

Met a new girl I like very much, named Marie Myers.

We've begun seeing each other.

18 years old
    Graduated from secondary school.

Began college.

My girlfriend Marie has graduated from secondary school.

My girlfriend Marie began college.

19 years old
    In spite of spending extra hours studying, You have been placed on academic probation.

20 years old
    I've become an alcoholic.

21 years old

My brother Harold's boyfriend Martin has graduated from secondary school.

22 years old
    Died at age 22 from an asthma attack.

Suriko on
    edited July 2007
    This is freakin' depressing

Nozz on
  • FartzFartz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So far I'm a 14 year-old asthmatic living alone outside of Chicago. I work part-time as a potter making 258 dollars a month and I'm in my second gay relationship. This game is awesome!

Fartz on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This seems really interesting/depressing. I'm gonna give it a try.

SirUltimos on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nice. I lived to 60 as a Canadian guy, and in that time became a primary school teacher, got married, had a son and just lived long enough to see him get married before my long-declining health got the better of me due to an infection.

Suriko on
    edited July 2007
    It's a pretty weird game. It's accurate to a degree I guess, but it doesn't really ever create a normal life. I mean, nobody works every day until they're 60 then drop dead of an opportunistic infection without being hospitalized ever in their entire life

Nozz on
  • Vampire_GoldfishVampire_Goldfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Every time I play I'm born in Africa (Ethiopia!) and die before age 20.

Lets give it another go.

Vampire_Goldfish on
    signatureseh.jpg
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I fought my way out of poverty in peru, became rich, emmigrated to canada at the age of 40..suffered a spinal injury in a household accident, became paralysed and died shortly thereafter ...yeah... D:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited July 2007
    Good 'ol India, where a single flood can affect 26 million people and I can be caught in a fire at 10 years old and burned over 40% of my body!

SirUltimos on
  • paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    what the hell, im some east african dude, and i have like 4 sisters, and they have a fucking baby every year, they are driving the family's economy down, and my dad got run over by a car and died.

shit.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
    edited July 2007
    I just invested my entire life savings at 50 years old, and turned $500,000 into $30 million.

Then I got paralyzed and died 2 years later.

Nozz on
    edited July 2007
    I died of an epileptic seizure at 26 :(.

Not enough time for my investments to pay off, it seems.

SirUltimos on
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've been playing all day (yes I have nothing else to do), and I've ranged from a marketing director living in luxury in Florida with 1.8 mil in the bank, to a shoe cleaner in North Korea. Daaaang!

Muramasa18 on
  • Vampire_GoldfishVampire_Goldfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am always born in Africa! Argh!

And almost always in a family of nine and up no less.

Vampire_Goldfish on
    signatureseh.jpg