As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Majora's [Phalla]: Game over. Link, Them victory.

• Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    so your suggestion is taking out active players?

that is probably the most mafia advice I have ever heard in my life.

to add to that: while its true that taking out inactives gives little as far as analysis is concerned, it seems like hitting inactives has a much higher hit rate than normal (if you assume 1/5 players are mafia, i'd wager closer to 1/4 to 1/3 of low posters are mafia), whereas its much closer to normal at the top end.

AkimboLegs on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    AkimboLegs wrote: »
    so your suggestion is taking out active players?

that is probably the most mafia advice I have ever heard in my life.

If you want to reduce it to that, then sure. Revealing the alignment of people who are talking is more useful than revealing the alignment of people who are not talking. I am not suggesting that silence is a good thing, just that a well-run game (like this one) should take care of that problem on its own.

• Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    if someone is actually in the inactive range, sure, but low posters are a fine target.

you seem to be coming out of the eliminated by inactivity realm, so voting for you seems reasonable :)

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    jackisreal wrote: »
    Voting for inactives is just a shot in the dark. Even if you do take out a mafia member, what then? An inactive has no posts or relationships to analyze. Taking out an innocent from one side of a major argument can sometimes be more revealing than eliminating a silent mafia.

Let's take this apart, shall we?
    Voting for inactives is just a shot in the dark.
    As opposed to voting for active players, this early in the game? Leaving aside the fact that mafia avoid saying things to incriminate themselves and are proportionally more likely to be mafia.
    Even if you do take out a mafia member, what then? An inactive has no posts or relationships to analyze.
    Well, we're one step closer to winning. Also, looking at the votes and posts of those who are defending the silent mafia may give us information about who they are, particularly if these votes/posts don't jibe with previous statements.
    Taking out an innocent from one side of a major argument can sometimes be more revealing than eliminating a silent mafia.
    Revealing, possibly. Closer to losing, certainly. I cannot think of a single time when taking out a mafia is detrimental to the village.

A quiet village is a dead village. Quiet villagers contribute nothing, and are an anchor on the village playing to win.

• Options
    AkimboLegs wrote: »
    if someone is actually in the inactive range, sure, but low posters are a fine target.

you seem to be coming out of the eliminated by inactivity realm, so voting for you seems reasonable :)

that it does :P

Just to be clear, I blame this wagon on no one but myself, and I'm not expecting to get out of it. And my role is more of a liability for the village than anything, so it's not really the end of the world.

People post infrequently for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons is being mafia. Another is being a special, or simply having something else come up.

I think the reason most people will probably disagree with me on this is because I've never been one to soft network as much as I think most people do. For me to try to play well, I need to get information from the thread. And killing low-posters just doesn't do that for me.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    These arguments are so weird that I am having a hard time believing jackisreal is mafia.

• Options
    Of course taking out mafia isn't detrimental to the village. But in terms of information gained, the way that you kill mafia matters. If killing an innocent leads to the deaths of multiple mafia members, that innocent's death was valuable.

If there's a huge argument about whether or not to vote out a low-poster, then yeah, maybe killing that low-poster is valuable. But that's not what we're talking about here.

If I hadn't posted today, I would have been taken out by inactivus AND the vote. That seems like a pretty good deal for the mafia, getting the vote onto people who are going to die anyways.

Anyways. I have to drive home now, and may be inactive for the remainder of the evening. Go village!

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I'm getting the "I'm trying to obfuscate matters to try and buy myself a day or two" vibe from jackisreal.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

If I hadn't posted today, I would have been taken out by inactivus AND the vote. That seems like a pretty good deal for the mafia, getting the vote onto people who are going to die anyways.

If that person was going to die anyway, then wouldn't it be more beneficial to the mafia to have someone voted out that was more active?

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »

If that person was going to die anyway, then wouldn't it be more beneficial to the mafia to have someone voted out that was more active?

This is true. The mafia want inactives to just get inactivus'd. It's like extra kills.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    jackisreal, in case you are being genuine: we cull inactives because they don't talk, don't contribute, are useless to the village, and culling them prompts the mafia to talk and slip up. If you don't put pressure on inactives many mafia will just ride the inactive train to victory because it's pretty easy unless you're known for being active.

You also put pressure on the remaining mafia when you kill any mafia role, talkative or not, as they have to take more risks to defeat the village = more places to slip up. Lower mafia numbers means they run out of scapegoat badwagons to hide in as they need to eliminate more villagers to get an outnumber victory (I doubt an outnumber victory is likely or possibly even possible for this particular game, but still).

Basically if you are a villager and being inactive without a very good reason (Figgy's is understandable but I'm still going to pressure him nonetheless), you're really doing the village a disservice.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    JACKISREAL

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Show me where I said inactivity was good or helpful to the village.

All I am saying is that you get more information from discovering the alignment of an active player, and sometimes that information is more valuable than a shot in the dark.

Usually when I have my repeated points ignored to this extent, I'm arguing with mafia, so I'll just cut my losses now.

Hopefully the behind the scenes action will kill those links! God speed, chuchu brothers!

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

All I am saying is that you get more information from discovering the alignment of an active player, and sometimes that information is more valuable than a shot in the dark.

Usually when I have my repeated points ignored to this extent, I'm arguing with mafia, so I'll just cut my losses now.

Hopefully the behind the scenes action will kill those links! God speed, chuchu brothers!

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

Throughout this entire thing, you failed to provide a better target. You voted cap because you tried to save yourself. If you are going to rant about what the village is doing wrong, you best provide an alternative.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Baidol wrote: »

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

Throughout this entire thing, you failed to provide a better target. You voted cap because you tried to save yourself. If you are going to rant about what the village is doing wrong, you best provide an alternative.

I'm arguing about phalla in general, not this game. It's too late to avoid the bandwagon and there honestly isn't much point in doing so.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm arguing about phalla in general, not this game. It's too late to avoid the bandwagon and there honestly isn't much point in doing so.

So you're going to go out as you played this phalla, having contributed little?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    Oh crap almost missed vote close, was working then moving today and Ive been unpacking. Its looking like jackisreal is the going vote. No time to do much more than sheep today sorry...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    derp jackisreal

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    I agree with jack as one of the low posters myself. Not condoning inactivity here, just pointing out that for some people like me, most of my talking is in PMs. Does it hurt the village? Only those not networking, imo. Half the game isn't even in the thread, at least not for me. Putting pressure on inactives is good since it IS an easy place for mafia to hide, but it isn't everything. I don't post a lot in the thread anymore because when I do I get voted out. People don't like my logic I guess :P. And on that note, just because someone makes a good argument doesn't mean they're village (ie Infidel as SK, gg!).

I see exactly what jack is saying. You don't vote someone out -because- they're being active, but it helps more than always voting out the inactives. Sometimes the mafia hide in plain sight by pretending to be helpful, and when they turn up red you get a whole lot more info to work with.

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options

I never claimed you said it was good, but you certainly seemed to be implying that it was not a big deal.

There are things you can do to help you when you're on a wagon like try to help steer the discussion towards a better target, but your argument seems to be that capfalcon's inactivity is less special than yours, or that you're not mafia, therefore capfalcon must be a better target. Which could be true but the thread can't follow that logic because we have no idea if the premise (you are not mafia) is true, therefore it's not really helpful.

Not that cap really argued all that better than you, but he at least provided counterexamples to his inactivity. It should be noted in case I'm permakilled tonight that capfalcon has been inactive mafia in other games.

• Options

I'm not mafia! You're mafia!

• Options

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

So you're going to go out as you played this phalla, having contributed little?

Sometimes things happen in life that take priority over phalla. I have already said that I feel bad about it, but shit happens. I have some time now but i don't really feel like going through this thread on my phone and pulling something out of my ass when I'm going to die in half an hour anyways. If you want to hate me for that, so be it.

• Options

I never claimed you said it was good, but you certainly seemed to be implying that it was not a big deal.

There are things you can do to help you when you're on a wagon like try to help steer the discussion towards a better target, but your argument seems to be that capfalcon's inactivity is less special than yours, or that you're not mafia, therefore capfalcon must be a better target. Which could be true but the thread can't follow that logic because we have no idea if the premise (you are not mafia) is true, therefore it's not really helpful.

Not that cap really argued all that better than you, but he at least provided counterexamples to his inactivity. It should be noted in case I'm permakilled tonight that capfalcon has been inactive mafia in other games.

Again, I'm not really trying to steer the wagon off myself because there isn't enough time, which is no one's fault by my own. And if we have to lose a villager, my role is probably one of the better roles to lose.

• Options
    That's cool I guess.

I don't take people being inactive personally whether they're genuinely inactive or mafiainactive, but the fact of the game is that you need to pressure inactives to do well as a village. Sometimes there just isn't really good stuff to go on what people have said, and trying to look too much into what someone says often prompts badwagons that end up encouraging people to not speak their mind, which is very bad.

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Vote closed.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    And now the confusion begins. The dead will rise, and discord will reign supreme.

Also, Kime will be back.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Day 3

For a thousand years, Majora lay dormant in the stone prison. For a thousand years, she waited for a savior. She watched a century of grave-robbers attempt to navigate the carefully laid traps without success. Not until Seval, a particularly adept thief, came to complete the task. If only he would put it on…

It was not to be. The thief was smart enough to keep the mask at arm’s length. He could sense the magic within it. The mask was passed from vendor to vendor, the price ever increasing as its origins became more spectacular. Some admired it as a curiosity, while others feared the legends were true. If they were even partially true, no man would want any part of that transaction.

One man saw the mask for what it was: A helpless girl, transformed by millennia of bitter hatred, marinating in her unfulfilled spite. He wished to help her. To restore her innocence so that the mask’s power could be used for good.

Every night, for years, he would talk to the mask in calm whispers, but there were no signs of improvement. No signs of magic, even. One day, to bring her forth, the Happy Mask Salesman brought the mask within a hair’s breadth of his face. Majora was ready to pounce and leapt at the chance, but the salesman was ready, and quick. He dropped the mask, letting it fall harmlessly to the floor. Majora could no longer pretend to be dormant, and the salesman continued his attempts at recuperation, fruitless as they were.

A small girl stood crouched behind a large crate. She quickly peeked out and fired an arrow into the sky. It sailed unerringly to the large balloon tied to the tree fifty yards from her perch. The balloon exploded with a satisfying pop. She spied a stranger walking through the field toward the ranch house, blatantly ignoring the nearby path. She called with more confidence than a girl of her age had any right to possess.

“Hey, who are you?”

Romani stared cautiously as the little fairy boy approached. He stood silent, daring her to ask again.

“I’m Romani. I was given the same name as the ranch.” Still, the boy sat silent.

“What’s your name?”

“I won’t say my name.”

“Hmm… Well, all right then. How about… Grasshopper?” She found the name fitting, with his green tunic and the way he pattered about. He wasn’t much, but maybe he could help her.

“I’m recruiting for an assistant. Won’t you help me?”

“Help you what?”

They are coming…”

Romani told Link of the aliens that were coming to abduct her cows. How they could only be defeated by bows. How her sister Cremia wouldn’t believe her. Link didn’t believe her either.

“I’m sorry,” he said, “but I don’t have time. The moon is about to crash into the earth, destroying all life. I need to finish my quest to stop it.”

Romani pondered the boy’s words, and she knew them to be true.

“So either you save the world, and the aliens take the ranch, or you save the ranch only to have it get destroyed by the moon. Either way, it seems my fate is sealed.”

“Don’t give up hope. I know you can do it. Just stay strong.” Link
    tried to give comfort but his words rang hollow. He knew in truth there was not much that a small girl could do against such a force.

But Link had bigger concerns, and not enough time to finish his own quest, let alone stay and help this girl, though he knew he should. He was never one to rank pragmatism above heroism, but the stakes were too high to risk the fate of the world.

Romani kept practicing. All day, and through the night. At 02:30 they finally came. Romani fought valiantly, but soon the ranch was overwhelmed. The alien forces surrounded the ranch, abducting the child and stealing the cows for themselves. Where was her grasshopper?

Tonight, they would celebrate.

Link continued searching for the remaining guardians. Manhandla guarded the Great Bay Temple, but there was still one remaining, and Link was out of time. He continued searching to no avail. Each route was a dead end. Link returned to clock town to await the inevitable destruction.

The clock chimed midnight. It was only a matter of time. The skull kid taunted him from atop the tower, beckoning him to attack. Link knew it was of no use, but what else could he do?

He climbed the clock steps and three giants came to his aid, attempting to slow the moon as it careened through the upper atmosphere. Link drew his sword and the skull kid cackled.
    “Do you really think you can stop me? Even if you could, you won’t save your precious Termina. It’s too late. I’ve won. Compared to my fate, the world’s recompense is meager. Death can never compare to the cruelty of life. Sadly, I can only bestow the latter without playing favorites.”

Link knew she was right. It was too late. If only he had more time…

Wait a minute, I’ve got all the time I want - I’ve got a time machine!

Link pulled out his ocarina and played the familiar notes. He felt pulled apart in every direction, the very ether of existence swirling around him. Though he knows the feeling well, it never gets any easier to endure. In this world, it actually feels even more painful.

Red ChuChu (jackisreal) has been eliminated from the game by the vote.
    Romani (Bedlam) has been eliminated from the game by Them
    They (Rawkking Goodguy) have left the game victorious!
    Manhandla (Baidol) has been eliminated from the game by Link
    The third giant has been released.

The Dead:
    AkimboLegs
    Cayrus
    Cythraul
    Kaplar
    Mr. Mojo Risin

The following people have been revived, and are restored to full health:
    @AkimboLegs
    @CaptainPlanet82
    @Cayrus
    @Cythraul
    @FecklessRogue
    @Gaslight
    @Kaplar
    @KetBra
    @kime
    @Matev
    @”Mr. Mojo Risin”
    @SaberOverEasy
    @”Smoove Operator”
    @stever777
    @The Anonymous”
    @warban

MrTLicious on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9q70zCJYBc

Capfalcob just so it actually counts. At least for a little while. :P

@MrTlicious, no space between the @ and the quote.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Hahahaha. Oh my God, I am an utter failure.

Capfalcon.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    @MrTlicious, no space between the @ and the quote.

I had that and now it looks like that. I give up.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Alright friends, do we have a guard? Any at all? Because if we do, I can install a permanent network head, completely confirmed.

Come to me. Let me know.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ENWbKRTdvg

Farewell Termina!

I leave you to your...moony fate.

• Options
    @Greeper joins INANTP and Figgy as warned for inactivus.

• Options
    Wait...so they are gone for good?

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    That's what it looks like Kaplar. Which is not necessarily the best for us...

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Did we just lose our vig?

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    I don't think THEY were exactly OUR vig. My best guess is they needed to eliminate a specific player (Bedlam) for their victory condition.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Did we just lose our vig?

Which is why I'm going ahead with my plan to install a confirmed village head. I need a guard to get in contact with me. Well, really, I just need to know that we have a guard alive right now.

We need to coordinate all of our attacks.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment