As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

War of the Roses: It's kinda like Chivalry with fewer decapitations

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited October 2012 in Games and Technology
Join the PA Steam Group!

Steam link

W9Ci5.png

What is War of the Roses?
War of the Roses is a multiplayer medieval combat simulator. You ride around on horses stabbing people with lances or you run around with a warhammer smashing faces in. Or maybe you just fire arrows at people because you're allergic to bravery.

NhWSF.jpg

So It's a Mount & Blade Ripoff
Hell yes it's a Mount & Blade ripoff! It's being published by Paradox Interactive (the M&B publishers) and developed by Fat Shark games (the makers of the excellent but under appreciated Lead & Gold among other games).

fWZRG.png

I MUST LEARN MORE
srmW0.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    I could never get into Mount and Blade (graphics turned me off). This one looks great however. I'll definitely be trying this out as soon as it's available.

steam_sig.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I thought War of the Roses was going to be a story driven Mount and Blade, not a multiplayer thing. Kinda disappointed in that.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    What I wouldn't give for an updated Kingmaker. Actually, let's just revisit the entire Avalon Hill catalog.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    as i recall lead and gold had the worst netcode i've ever seen

if this is multiplayer at all i hope they've learned to do better

i'll be keeping this on my radar

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure what their unique selling point is. Mount&Blade: Warband multiplayer with prettier graphics and killstreaks? Why not make a single player game?

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I would love (love, love, love) a more feature-rich, story-driven Mount and Blade. Multiplayer I will pass on.

The graphics look nice, though!

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    I could never get into Mount and Blade (graphics turned me off). This one looks great however. I'll definitely be trying this out as soon as it's available.

From what I can tell, the combat is quite similar to Mount & Blade. That will likely turn off a few people. But then again, what I saw was pre-alpha footage on TotalBiscuit.
    I'm pretty impressed by the amount of customisation. I love historic settings.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Achire wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what their unique selling point is. Mount&Blade: Warband multiplayer with prettier graphics and killstreaks? Why not make a single player game?
    ...they are?

• AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ...they are?

I am, admittedly completely unfairly, assuming the single player is essentially a tutorial with bots as is almost inevitably the case in these kind of releases. Is there any solid information on the single player portion of the game? All the articles seem to be about the multiplayer, which is clearly the focus of the game.

Achire on
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    WotR is so much deeper looking than Warband it isn't even funny to joke about. The games are incomparable.

EDIT: At least in terms of the # of features. That silly half-finished thought was brought to you by Sleep Deprivation®

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
    ...they are?

I am, admittedly completely unfairly, assuming the single player is essentially a tutorial with bots as is almost inevitably the case in these kind of releases. Is there any solid information on the single player portion of the game? All the articles seem to be about the multiplayer, which is clearly the focus of the game.
    Yes, they certainly have talked up the multiplayer much more, although that might just be a function of how little we've seen of the game. The somewhat old Rock Paper Shotgun interview has a tiny bit of info about single player: basically we know that it will have a story. Or at least that was the plan at one point.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You... you can even pick schools of fighting? Oh god. Take me now.

The only way this could look better is if there was a duelling mode with rapiers only.

Edit: Aw, 64 players. Gonna miss M&B's 200+ player battles.

Suriko on
    edited June 2012
    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    The emphasis on multiplayer content doesn't make me very confident on the single player aspect of this game. However, I can't not play something set in the middle ages. The history nerd in me loves it too much.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I have never done multiplayer M&B. I always felt the learning curve would be too steep for the amount of time I was prepared to invest. I have enjoyed some of the single-player campaigns/mods quite a bit, though. If this is a prettier M&B (because let's face it, even Warband sort of looks like ass) with a solid and historically-based single-player campaign, I would be interested in it. If it's primarily a multipayer game with a campaign tacked on as an afterthought, I'll probably pass.

Gaslight on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    But just what was the War of the Roses I hear some of you say.

An in-depth and academic primer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZo_Gn-GqZs

Gaslight wrote: »
    I have never done multiplayer M&B. I always felt the learning curve would be too steep for the amount of time I was prepared to invest.
    There's not really a learning curve. You just hit people with swords.

edited June 2012
    I have never done multiplayer M&B. I always felt the learning curve would be too steep for the amount of time I was prepared to invest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHcZjWw9U

Yeah, videos like these pretty much convinced me I was better off not bothering.

Also, as I recall, from what I heard when there was a PA server for M&B, it was running an RPG type plugin with persistent stats and such so the people who had been playing a while were able to pwn everybody else even more than their greater experience would have allowed anyway.

Gaslight on
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular

As a veteran of M&B multiplayer, you couldn't be more incorrect.

The learning curve is fairly steep. Someone that can quickly parry, feint and chamber block will obliterate you. It's very rewarding but takes a lot of getting used to. Also, the archery and mounted combat can be quite difficult against skilled human opponents.

PNA1v.jpg
    Yeah it's not that there's no learning curve, it's just really really fucking steep and most people have no idea what they're doing online. Then you meet that guy that can fight twenty men at a time on occasion and he's always on the top of the leaderboard.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    This looks awesome. I wonder if it will be like left4dead in terms of single player as in when people arent in the game they are replaced with AI's who carry out the story... That got me thinking a midieval combat themed l4d total conversion would be amazing.

This post was brought to you by drugs and booze…and sleep deprivation™

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Oh what a bunch of shit.

M&B's learning curve is not at all steep. It's like chess, easy to learn but hard to master. If you're a dumb goose who can't remember that the "horsie" goes up 3 and one left, then get out of my sight

Really? The graphics? I don't see why some people put so much weight into graphics. The reason M&B is a good game is that it is the Privateer of Medieval Times games. You can do what you want how you want in a sandbox world. Sure, it's not X3 levels of freedom, but it's got probably the best damn medieval fighting system of all time, and is one of the only games where you feel like you're a soldier in Total War, even more so if you turn up battle sizes to huge amounts of troops. I still really like the game, and I haven't even got into the level of being a lord and a king, probably because I try to switch mods out of no where, but still, it's great fun.

Unlike say Dynasty/Samurai warriors, where it's just monotonous button mashing.

Kadoken wrote: »
    Oh what a bunch of shit.

M&B's learning curve is not at all steep. It's like chess, easy to learn but hard to master. If you're a dumb goose who can't remember that the "horsie" goes up 3 and one left, then get out of my sight

Really? The graphics? I don't see why some people put so much weight into graphics. The reason M&B is a good game is that it is the Privateer of Medieval Times games. You can do what you want how you want in a sandbox world. Sure, it's not X3 levels of freedom, but it's got probably the best damn medieval fighting system of all time, and is one of the only games where you feel like you're a soldier in Total War, even more so if you turn up battle sizes to huge amounts of troops. I still really like the game, and I haven't even got into the level of being a lord and a king, probably because I try to switch mods out of no where, but still, it's great fun.

So you can parry feint and block perfectly every time then? :p

wailing on the AI is a lot different than fighting people online. And with War of the Roses being touted as that online but moar! I can see people being turned off by the learning cliff.

edited June 2012
    Oh what a bunch of shit.

My way of staying out of your sight was not bothering with M&B multiplayer.

But if you'll permit this dumb goose to say so...I am pretty sure the "horsie" goes up two and one over.

Gaslight on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Oh what a bunch of shit.

But if you'll permit this dumb goose to say so...I am pretty sure the "horsie" goes up two and one over.

Damn, I always have trouble if counting the original space counts as a block of movement. Also, the "horsie" quotations are to simulate an exageratted mature dumb person who can't remember what a knight was.

Also, I do spend the majority of my Warband time in SP.

• eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Still no inverse kinetics?

I skipped through the video in the first post (alpha though it may be) and saw how weapons traveled through parts of people and scenery without skipping a beat. I even saw a close combat situation where the player swung wide, having his weapon pass through an ally before hitting the opponent, missing an excellent opportunity for a friendly fire situation.

Sigh. Guess I'm still waiting... Mount & Blade 2 perhaps?

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Looks kind of dumb and cartoony, makes sense that this is being made by the Lead and Gold people instead of the M&B team. I remember hearing a while back that this was supposed to be a full on M&B game with epic scope and great production values, made by the M&B people with the same harsh kind of atmosphere. Guess that's not the case at all.

Heisenberg on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Oh what a bunch of shit.

Damn, I always have trouble if counting the original space counts as a block of movement. Also, the "horsie" quotations are to simulate an exageratted mature dumb person who can't remember what a knight was.

Out of the 201 hours I've spent playing M&B: Warband, I'd say 191 hours of that was spent playing online. It is so. Fucking. Good.

edit: also, I never learned how to play M&B online properly and feint and all that dumb bullshit. I always played with a RL friend of mine using voice coms and we would always double-team dudes and I didn't have to bother with the advanced stuff when one of us was always stabbing the opponent in the back (or shooting arrows into their back). I also enjoyed standing behind my friend while he fought a dude then slipping my spear in to catch the enemy when he wasn't looking. We are such assholes and I love it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    I played this at PAX East and enjoyed the hell out of it. The executions after you kill someone are amazingly satisfying.

Got my email for the alpha invite a while ago but thats last i heard.

• A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular

Well now it makes sense.

Multiplayer is a whole other beast. You can be a pro at killing AI bots but that means nothing when playing against players.

PNA1v.jpg
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, I've had my eye on this for a bit, since it was announced a little while ago. While I love the original and Warband (still on the fence about WFaS, need to play more), I'm certainly curious to see how this plays out. As someone how was primarily a SP guy, I do prob have at least a dozen or so hours into my cRPG character. Admittedly though, I spent the majority of it as a fodder for highly skilled players, and an adequate distraction for others. There very much is a separation of the wheat and the chaff when playing online.

As far as being developed by the L&G team goes, I really have no opinion one way or the other. I've really only played that one game and while the idea was good, the 30 minutes attempting to get a summer sale ticket was enough to show me that the feel (and netcode) of the game just wasn't for me. But, I'm sure they've used that experience to help build this.

Paint me as cautious but very hopefully.

Decoy on
    So data-mining of the Steam registry seems to indicate there will be a free Alpha weekend of this soon.

Just got my alpha test invite and it activates on steam, sweet. Not sure how long it runs, add me on steam if you'll be playing! Hell_Rell on STEAM.

What did you do to get an invite? There is like literally nothing on their website except a screens, the trailer, a "fan kit" download (does anybody actually use these things?) and a forum link.

What did you do to get an invite? There is like literally nothing on their website except a screens, the trailer, a "fan kit" download (does anybody actually use these things?) and a forum link.
    I used the fan kit for making the OP. In the past I've had some issues making pretty OPs because I couldn't find good versions of the game's logo or something.

I played it at Pax East and they had people give email to get invite when alpha started.

Your wish is my command. It's pubic for now but eventually we can close it if we want.

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    I had a chance to play this at PAX East, too. It was a blast. It does obviously bear similarity to M&B but the "feel" is different - the graphics were better, the pacing wasn't the same, and the UI felt cleaner (though I couldn't properly figure out the crossbow winding mechanic).
    What really sold me is the post-takedown executions, though. It's brutal and visceral and so satisfying to watch your man-at-arms whip out a dagger and plunge it repeatedly into the eye-slits of the armoured knight he just bashed down with a mace.
    I gotta check for an alpha invite...

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    I'd kill for an invite to this.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Oh what a bunch of shit.

I don't normally put a lot of weight on graphics being a product of the 8-bit generation, but damn M&B was ugly early on. It literally made my eyes bleed.

I'll admit that I only played the beta (alpha?). I never played it after it officially released as Warband. Taking a look at more recent footage it definitely looks like something I would play now, but I'm just too late to the party and I already have a huge backlog. So unfortunately, I'll likely never get around to it.

War of the Roses looks nice though! :rotate:

steam_sig.png