As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Motorcyclin' the country side

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    "If your bike is super loud, people can hear you coming and are more likely to notice you!"

AKA, the "Fuck Doppler" Theory.

• hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Indeed. Cause looking out for yourself is for pussies. On a different note changing my levers took about 20 minutes and the Triumph dealer quoted me around 300$ to do the job. Good to know that I will never hire them for any work on the bike ever. It's cheaper to learn.

• warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Just signed up for the MSF class. Its in early July. Need time to save up for a Honda CBR 250. Hopefully will have enough toward the end of July.

steam_sig.png
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    I can't even take people who make those arguments seriously. Especially as I watch them duck walk their bike out of the parking lot after making those statements.

I can take them seriously if and only if they also regularly wear a high-visibility vest. Which is never, ever the case.

• musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    260 miles round trip to the motherland: Woodford Reserve Bourbon Distillery. Beautiful day, so happy.

sic2sig.jpg
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So, maybe you guys could help me.

If someone were to take my bike for a ride, with no tags and no insurance, could it in anyway come back to bite me other than the obvious bike being crashed(or impounded)?

Not asking because I plan on letting someone, but because a bike I still hold the title for is in a position where that could potentially happen if a particular person does something stupid. :P

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    Ugh. Leaving work today, pulling out of the parking lot, hit the throttle, rear tire catches some random gravel, instant fishtail and bike on top of me, pinning my ankle.

Some random nice dude stopped to help me pick it up (I didn't need help, but it was still nice), rode home, but I can tell I twisted my ankle and it's already starting to swell.

Stupid gravel.

Houn wrote: »
    Ugh. Leaving work today, pulling out of the parking lot, hit the throttle, rear tire catches some random gravel, instant fishtail and bike on top of me, pinning my ankle.

Some random nice dude stopped to help me pick it up (I didn't need help, but it was still nice), rode home, but I can tell I twisted my ankle and it's already starting to swell.

Stupid gravel.

That shit sucks. I hate gravel driveways because I'm terrified I'll get a little too much front brake, the suspension will settle down into the gravel, and I will drop the bike. I've spun my rear when corning pretty hard (tar snakes) and there were a couple times where I thought I was a goner.

Hope everything heals up alright, and the bike isn't too dinged up.

sic2sig.jpg
    Nah, I set it down pretty gently, all things considered, and only picked up one new scrape on the hand guard.

My ankle and shoulder, however, hate me right now.

• temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    415838_10100365416409988_60713001_41956234_1358345511_o.jpg

I bought this yesterday. First bike ever, and it has been a dream of mine ever since I was a wee lad. I'm pretty happy right now.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

I bought this yesterday. First bike ever, and it has been a dream of mine ever since I was a wee lad. I'm pretty happy right now.

Welcome to the family!

I'm finally in a comfortable enough spot financially to get another bike after my last one was written off by the Soccer Mum In Minivans Brigade. Looking toward a Cruiser this time around, planning to use it more for commuting to-and-from both work and school. Have my eyes on a Honda Shadow 750 because my legs (I'm 6'5") sit somewhat comfortably on it without sitting above the gastank.

Plus a roadtrip to PAX East might be on the books. Atlanta-Boston isn't too crazy... right?

RisenPhoenix on
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    We were out for a highway ride today. A guy pulls up behind us on a bike. Does some dumb things trying to indicate he wants us to pull over for a chat but it takes a few minutes to figure out what the hell he wants. He starts asking us if we want a beer. WTF?

• 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I managed to finish of my theoretical exam yesterday, and today in the morning I successfully completed the technical driving exam - 12-16 more hours to go and I will have my driving license!

I never want to have to do the slow slalom again.

Edit: I don't know if there is a similar course in the US (do they?), this is what I mean by slow slalom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDm42YwkjmM

Needs to be completed with a bit of gas, slightly pulled clutch and the foot brake.

It is part of a 5-7 similar challenges (you need to complete at least 5, with failing one fast one and one slow one) that cover fast cornering, breaking, slow cornering and avoiding obstacles.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    Hopefully somebody could help me out. My clutch lever is really hard to pull, it makes riding the bike not so fun. Is there a common fix to this? It seems like it's coming from the clutch arm on the transmission, because there is a slight friction noise when I engage it. Any suggestions?

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I think there is a way to make an adjustment down where the lever connects...um, there should be a little silver dial thingy...at least that's what my bike has.

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

Welcome to the family!

I'm finally in a comfortable enough spot financially to get another bike after my last one was written off by the Soccer Mum In Minivans Brigade. Looking toward a Cruiser this time around, planning to use it more for commuting to-and-from both work and school. Have my eyes on a Honda Shadow 750 because my legs (I'm 6'5") sit somewhat comfortably on it without sitting above the gastank.

Plus a roadtrip to PAX East might be on the books. Atlanta-Boston isn't too crazy... right?

You have my sword!

It's modification time.

Apparently, I need to get a "mid pipe" for my 08 GSXR. I also need to invest in a power commander.

So much to do....

• JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just that I'm a crotchety old 26 year old that rides a naked bike, but good lord do I not understand people that put performance mods on their supersport bikes - and not take them to the track.

I have my reasons, but one day I will.

...and I certainly wouldn't refer to my bike as a "supersport."

gixxer = supersport btw

• useruser Registered User regular
    JRosey wrote: »
    Maybe it's just that I'm a crotchety old 26 year old that rides a naked bike, but good lord do I not understand people that put performance mods on their supersport bikes - and not take them to the track.

Yay for a fellow 26 year old on a naked.

now now children, we don't need to argue semantics...some people enjoy tuning their bike to go from mach 2 to mach 2.1 just to get their sonic boom a little boomier

if I go down that road I have no doubt I will try to figure out how much faster my bike really is, and die doing 160mph, but to each his own

sic2sig.jpg
  • HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    Ugh, had a crappy accident last night. Me and the bike are fine but the poor dog that ran out in front of me mid corner is not. I was going slow because of weather but had no chance to slow down or swerve when I saw him. He had no tag couldnt do much except watch the little dude die (thankfully didnt take long). Gonna report it to the council tomorrow, should have a microchip :(

steamid: sewersider
    Ugh, that sucks. Glad you're ok, Hearth.

Lame. Watching animals suffer is horrific. I watched a cat die once. It was disturbing.

I thought a "supersport" was a 1200 or something like that.

Anyway. Yesterday, I took my bike in to get the valves adjusted and HIDs installed. They wouldn't give me a ride home, so I had to walk 5-miles in 100 degree heat.

My poor, bald head looks like a tomato.

Sounds like you need to find a new shop.

Also, friends who can give you a lift without all that "Uh, yeah, man, I'm uh, like, flossing my dog" shit.

• enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    I finally have a scooter again. I have since driven my car twice in three weeks.
    7346746732_d5ba6c5ef5.jpg

Obligatory pointing and laughing at the babyscooter.
    Nah, she's pretty. What's the model? I see a Suzuki S on there.

• enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Suzuki Burgman 400.

The only person to fail my motorcycle advanced training course was a dude on a scooter.

I lol'd.

edited June 2012
    Heh, when I took my Basic course, the only dude to fail was a dude, who wiped out on the stopping test. The funny part is that his girlfriend passed.

The look on his face... pitiful, yet priceless.

Houn on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Going out to look at a 1975 CL360 in a little bit. Planning on café'ing it. I used to ride 1960s Lambrettas, and I've been itching to get back on two wheels again.

You lucky dog I've been looking for a Scrambler for months now to no avail.

edited June 2012
    You lucky dog I've been looking for a Scrambler for months now to no avail.

They pop up pretty frequently out here for some reason. I've seen three in the past week. There was a 69' CB350 that's for sale as well and in decent shape, but the guy was firm on $2,300 for it, which is ridiculous.

We've got a few really great shops here that do great work, so I'm pretty excited.

Esh on
    edited June 2012
    Well, the guy wanted $1,500, but I took my friend who rebuilds and restores bikes for a living and he told the guy in a confident tone that it wasn't worth more than a $1,000 and the guy took the offer. The pipe on it isn't original and there's a little bondo on the tank, but I can get a new one and I was planning on putting a different (though still high and side) pipe on it anyhow.

Here she is...
    7164695249_79b3e07670_b.jpg

And here is something similar to what I want to do to her, except a black tank, side covers, and a more metallic colored pipe.
    7164697467_bb62b532dc_b.jpg

Esh on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Esh wrote: »
    Well, the guy wanted $1,500, but I took my friend who rebuilds and restores bikes for a living and he told the guy in a confident tone that it wasn't worth more than a $1,000 and the guy took the offer. The pipe on it isn't original and there's a little bondo on the tank, but I can get a new one and I was planning on putting a different (though still high and side) pipe on it anyhow.

Here she is...

And here is something similar to what I want to do to her, except a black tank, side covers, and a more metallic colored pipe.

Question.

How much are your legs going to melt from touching the exhaust? Constant burning or complete liquification?
    I do think it looks badass.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • useruser Registered User regular
    He could always get some sort of strange inverse chaps made of Nomex.

• LindLind Registered User regular
    1 year service coming up on my 800GS and I've ordered Crash Bars to be installed so I don’t have to freak out so much when I get over my head out in the woods.

VeritasVR wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

Here she is...

Question.

How much are your legs going to melt from touching the exhaust? Constant burning or complete liquification?
    I do think it looks badass.

Those vented looking pieces of metal are heat guards.

• MajorElintMajorElint Registered User regular
    user wrote: »

Yay for a fellow 26 year old on a naked.

I'm 27 and just started riding in October, my bike is a naked.

bike.jpg