As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If given the option, would you become a vampire?

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    see and i'm of the opinion that paranormal did it RIGHT

because things actually happen in it

and it's little things

but the fact that you see them and not just hear about them after the fact makes them fucking terrifying

also the thing where she gets dragged out of the bed by her ankle is absolutely The Best Scene

Paranormal 2 blew it away though with its version of it, because you have that beat where the mother is safe and everything is okay and then HOLY SHIT IT GOT HER AGAIN AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

also katie's bosom was impressive

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Those are some sweet spoilers you got there Blord

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    oh hey

i'm an energy vampire

that's a big shocker

Pfft, everybody's an energy vampire.

• Options
    ask me if i give a fuck about spoiling a dumb, semi-telegraphed (if still well-executed) jump scare in a movie that is now 3 years old

four if we're talking PA1

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    except the muggles

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    BL : \

i mean, i'm not gonna see those movies because they look dumb/and i'm a coward but come on dude some common courtesy

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    3/4 years is really not a very long time

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    ask me if i give a fuck about spoiling a dumb, semi-telegraphed (if still well-executed) jump scare in a movie that is now 3 years old

four if we're talking PA1

h-how raw

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    arguments about what constitutes a spoiler are stupid and there's basically no way to sway my opinion on this

• Options
    it's literally a single button and doesn't take a second to click

spoiler tag errything just to be sure

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

in the age of netflix and movies going to DVD sooner and sooner after release (particularly when it's a yearly series like PA has become (and when the original cut had a festival run before it got picked up for distribution))

yes it is

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

When the movie spent nine continuous minutes in utter silence, culminating in a sheet being slightly tugged, I groaned a groan not heard since the last neanderthal got stuck in a tar pit and spent a week dying of boredom.

Also the incredible whiny blandness of the girl. Also the incredible, staggering douchebaggery of the dude, I wanted their deaths.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options

Not actively planning on seeing any of the movies discussed, because fuck found footage

But I watch a lot of horror, so they are a thing I would eventually stumble through

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    it's literally a single button and doesn't take a second to click

spoiler tag errything just to be sure

you misunderstand my point

i got no problem tagging things for current/just-past-current movies or whatever

but once you get past a year or two i stop giving a shit

it was in theaters two years ago and on dvd six months later, and it's streaming on netflix

watch the fucking thing or don't

but i'm not spoiler tagging literally everything that happens in every movie this side of fight club because someone might not have seen it

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    basically fuck you if you ain't seen that movie but were thinking about it

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Buttlord once again living up to his name?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    fuck found footage

this is fucking blasphemy, unless you're coming at it from the perspective of "it makes me nauseous" in which case i'd say that the PA series' reliance on steady shots makes them head and shoulders above everything else in that regard

found footage is incredible because at its core it's all about breaking down the barrier between the audience and what they're seeing

you know the old Last House on the Left tagline? "just keep telling yourself, 'it's only a movie, it's only a movie'"?

found footage by its very nature is about making you forget that its only a movie

and i love it for that
    Hobnail wrote: »

When the movie spent nine continuous minutes in utter silence, culminating in a sheet being slightly tugged, I groaned a groan not heard since the last neanderthal got stuck in a tar pit and spent a week dying of boredom.

Also the incredible whiny blandness of the girl. Also the incredible, staggering douchebaggery of the dude, I wanted their deaths.

pretty big exaggeration here since anything more than a minute or two gets fast-forwarded through

also ironic considering how little happens in BWP

also the movie is about the relationship failing due to him being a giant douchebag

Buttlord on
  • Options

in the age of netflix and movies going to DVD sooner and sooner after release (particularly when it's a yearly series like PA has become (and when the original cut had a festival run before it got picked up for distribution))

yes it is

That doesn't change anything

It's not a matter of whether it is on DVD or not, it matters with regards to whether someone has seen it

I don't watch movies that often overall, I am a fairly busy person at times

• Options
    what the fuck is it with people who think themselves too good for spoiler tags
    you'd think it would be an atypical phenomenon but no they pop up all the time it's a goddamned disease

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    personally, i don't believe in a statue of limitation of spoilers

i will fucking spoiler tag details about citizen kane if i have to

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    buttlord playing last word all day err'day

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    they forget,

which happens to everyone and is fine

but then they get defensive because it can provoke a sudden and apparently sharply negative response

Seriously on
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    you'd think it would be an atypical phenomenon but no they pop up all the time it's a goddamned disease

that's not actually what's going on here

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    arguments about what constitutes a spoiler are stupid and there's basically no way to sway my opinion on this

You're acting pretty dumb about this for basically no reason

But that's the bit I guess?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

If Buttlord took the half second to click the spoiler button, he'd be compromising his edginess. How can you expect him to do that??

• Options
    fuck found footage

this is fucking blasphemy, unless you're coming at it from the perspective of "it makes me nauseous" in which case i'd say that the PA series' reliance on steady shots makes them head and shoulders above everything else in that regard

found footage is incredible because at its core it's all about breaking down the barrier between the audience and what they're seeing

you know the old Last House on the Left tagline? "just keep telling yourself, 'it's only a movie, it's only a movie'"?

found footage by its very nature is about making you forget that its only a movie

and i love it for that

And maybe when I see something found footage that isn't a piece of shit I will agree with this

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

i've explained my reason but i guess me explaining my point and then other people ignoring it and going IT'S FOR NO REASON is a Thing

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    HEY GUY I WAS WATCHING STAR WARS AND
    VADER IS LUKES FATHER?!?!??!

reposig.jpg
  • Options

Yeah it is

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

i've explained my reason but i guess me explaining my point and then other people ignoring it and going IT'S FOR NO REASON is a Thing

you've explained your reason and everyone else has explained that your reason is fucking stupid

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

You're acting pretty dumb about this for basically no good reason

There, I think that expresses it better

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Your reason appears to be "Fuck you if you don't watch movies immediately upon release, lol".

It's kind of a weird position, IMO.

• Options

but i'm not spoiler tagging literally everything that happens in every movie this side of fight club because someone might not have seen it

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    fuck found footage

and i love it for that

And maybe when I see something found footage that isn't a piece of shit I will agree with this

chronicle

home movie (which i waver on it being a piece of shit or just a bad use of the format because it gets really cute about it)

portions of district 9

the fucked up portions of the poughkeepsie tapes

• Options
    edited June 2012
    nah fuck this post

i'm done

Buttlord on
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    @Buttlord I have not seen Paranormal, and I was planning on renting it this weekend. Thanks for spoiling every last scary part...And I even thought it was a romcom before you ruined my weekend. Now I don't even know if I am going to rent it.

• Options
    phew

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Like I'm gonna say, for the past several years of my life, I've averaged one, maybe one and a half, movie(s) a week.

And that is including rewatching my favorites.

Most of the movies in question are probably not new releases too. Like, I an guessing I have seen maybe 20 movies made in the last three years, tops.

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    are you guys referring to that movie about the rich white people who put a camera in their bedroom and then OH SHIT GHOSTS

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    i don't think I've seen a single movie this year yet

and I'm pretty sure the only new one I saw last year was Captain America

and even then I saw it on a plane months after it came out

Speed Racer on