As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Pokemon League 2012: Battle Royale!

thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
[Update August 30th] To all challengers of the PAX Pokemon League: Please read the following two posts, so you will know everything important you need to know about the League for PAX. General information and recruitment cards
See you tomorrow, and happy PAX!

Much has been stirring in the PAX Pokemon League... Strange letters, a meeting with the heads of Plasma, Galactic, Rocket, Aqua and Magma... Who will you help, and who will you hinder in this battle royale? Follow the latest news at: http://paxpokemonleague.net/

Meetup Times
Find us in the Hand Held Lounge on these dates and times:
2:30PM on Friday
2:30PM on Saturday
1:30PM on Sunday

-Battle the Champion at our closing showcase starting at 5PM on Sunday in the park at the top of the escalators!
-Also, as a bonus, several gym leaders will be meeting at the Westlake Center at 7:30pm on THURSDAY before PAX!

Please note you can battle outside of these places and times, as well, just look for the lime green scarves!

Gym Leaders:
Finn and Corvus, the Fairweather Friends!
Lorelei
KEN LEE – Loyal Rocket For Lyfe!
Solon of the Seven Sages
Pythia, the oracle at Delphi
Jose – Man of Mystery
Dr. Kronus
Celestio
Grant Hammer – The Fossil Fiend!
Plasma Grunt Iris
Galactic Grunt Fro
Thane Vector
Zoroark, The Trainer Named after the Pokemon
Professor Pine, The Pokemon Researcher

The Elite Team
N
Maxie
Archie
Cyrus
Giovanni

Champion
Madame Boss

Comics: url="http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/07/pax-pokemon-league-comic-page-1/"]1[/url url="http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/07/ppl-comic-week-2/"]2[/url url="http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/07/the-plot-continues-to-grow/"]3[/url url="http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/08/pax-pokemon-league-comic-4/"]4[/url url="http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/08/pax-pokemon-comic-5/"]5[/url url="http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/08/prof-pine-on-the-scene/"]6[/url url="http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/08/so-close/"]7[/url url="http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/08/meet-your-elite-team-and-your-champion-for-prime-2012/"]8[/url

Facebook
Twitter

Post archive:
July 16:
Professor Pine has updated everyone on the current state of the League today on our blog! We've also got an update from some goings on in the rest of the world that you might find interesting. You can check both out over at our main website by clicking on this link here!

July 10:
BREAKING NEWS FROM POKEMON NEWS NETWORK (P.N.N.): Click here for more information!

We will keep you updated with all the information we have as soon as we have it!

First Post:
That's right, The PAX Pokemon League is coming back to PAX Prime in 2012!

Our leader applications are officially closed. We will still take applicants, but the likelyhood of acceptance is rather low.

We have a lot of exciting things to reveal to you about our plans to make this year's PAX Pokemon League the best event we've put on!

So stay tuned and we hope to see you participating, either as a leader, or as a challenger this year at PAX!

~~Professor Pine

Moe Fwacky on

• SiLlYxAzNSiLlYxAzN Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    OMG!!! That's awesome!

• thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    SiLlYxAzN wrote: »
    OMG!!! That's awesome!

don't worry... we've got a LOT more info to be revealing soon.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Sadly I will not be attending PAX Prime this year (I usually go as a PPL challenger anyways at Prime) but I look forward to helping out in the art department for all the new leaders we'll get! See you on the PPL Forums!

cocowoushi wrote: »
    Sadly I will not be attending PAX Prime this year (I usually go as a PPL challenger anyways at Prime) but I look forward to helping out in the art department for all the new leaders we'll get! See you on the PPL Forums!

awww.... We'll miss you. Either way, your assistance is greatly appreciated. and hey, maybe they won't be TOO expensive on eBay...

• PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    Aw... I'd love to apply, but I was only able to get a one day pass this year!

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular

awww.... We'll miss you. Either way, your assistance is greatly appreciated. and hey, maybe they won't be TOO expensive on eBay...

Nah, I need to house-sit that week anyways plus money is tight. I'll be at East though!

edited May 2012

Nah, I need to house-sit that week anyways plus money is tight. I'll be at East though!

ah, ok.
    well if you hang arround the forums, we like ideas that are awesome. and you're known for great ideas.

thespiffyneostar on
    Just a heads up: 1 week left until leader applications close!

• BakonslayerBakonslayer Registered User new member
    A real live Pokemon League inside of PAX.
    This is still the best thing ever. I'm always so happy to be a part of it!

A real live Pokemon League inside of PAX.
    This is still the best thing ever. I'm always so happy to be a part of it!

I'm just excited for some of the secret stuff that we can't talk about yet. :)

• PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    I tried to talk my boyfriend into signing up for this, but he wouldn't do it. I think he'll need some coaxing for next year. I think he'd have a lot of fun.

• RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    Looking forward to training my team over the summer and challenging the league!

tw787Xr.png

I tried to talk my boyfriend into signing up for this, but he wouldn't do it. I think he'll need some coaxing for next year. I think he'd have a lot of fun.

you should most defineately have him come challenge the League!

Oh yes, there will be brawl....

Hail Hydra
    Matev wrote: »
    Oh yes, there will be brawl....

fun fact: I ran into a random Rocket Grunt today Swing Dancing! She didn't know you, but still had the shirt and everything.

• VersuskidVersuskid Maui, HIRegistered User regular
    Noob Question: Is the league Pokemon card gaming or DS gaming? Ether way I would love to be a challenger or at least participate.

Prime 2014 Status: .[ ] Pass(es) .[ ] Hotel .[ ] Plane Tickets .Waiting Patiently [NEVER!!]
    Challenge Coin [ ]. Custom Dice [ ]. Forumer Pin [ ]. On Forumer Badge [ ]
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13
    And will there be side Card gaming if it is mainly DS gaming?

Prime 2014 Status: .[ ] Pass(es) .[ ] Hotel .[ ] Plane Tickets .Waiting Patiently [NEVER!!]
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The PPL is DS gaming, but there are many pokemon card game players at pax :)

zerzhul wrote: »
    The PPL is DS gaming, but there are many pokemon card game players at pax :)

Thanks... I am now going to spend the rest of the time til PAX making the best Pokemon Team EVER!

edited June 2012
    I can be a challenger and Is there a list of Pokemon that are "illegal"?

And how much of a commitment is the PPT? Can I just see leaders randomly then battle or do we have meeting spot, if so do I have to go to every meeting etc.

Versuskid on
    Updated rules will be put up once they've been sorted out, but as a general rule of thumb, most Legendaries are a no no.

Hail Hydra
    Would this team work rules wise.
    Glaceon
    Toxicroak
    Darmanitan
    Charizard
    Dragonite
    Deoxys

Deoxys would be the one thing that would be out just by looking at it, outside of that, looks like a legal team.

Hail Hydra
    Matev wrote: »
    Deoxys would be the one thing that would be out just by looking at it, outside of that, looks like a legal team.

Could I replace Deoxys with Electivire?

• Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    http://paxpokemonleague.net/rules/

Not sure if the final rule set, but this is what was used for East. Looks like Deoxys was legal for it, which means someone needs to look at the rules more often 8P

Which reminds me, why is the link to anything not in the first post....

Blackfox138 on

Not sure if the final rule set, but this is what was used for East. Looks like Deoxys was legal for it, which means someone needs to look at the rules more often 8P

yeah, these were the final rules for PAX EAST.
    We aren't likely to change them MUCH from these rules, but the are subject to change.

edited June 2012

We aren't likely to change them MUCH from these rules, but the are subject to change.

So would this work? Rules and well roundedness

Mamoswine
    Electivire
    Darmanitan
    Charizard
    Dragonite
    Deoxys

Versuskid on

Screw the rules I have money!

Hail Hydra
    Versuskid wrote: »

So would this work? Rules and well roundedness

Mamoswine
    Electivire
    Darmanitan
    Charizard
    Dragonite
    Deoxys

I think your team is quite well rounded, but I would consider dropping Deoxys for a different psychic type in case Deoxys is added to our ban list. If not dropping completely, planning for a backup :)

• PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

you should most defineately have him come challenge the League!

Yeah. I'm working on it. I'll probably give it a go just to get him to do it. Which means I gotta get working on my team. ^_^

PrincessCleo on
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of doing this, but I'm hesitating because it's Pokemon Black/White...

I'm a huge fan of the original 150, but I never played any of the games past Ruby/Sapphire because I just couldn't get interested in the new Pokemon. That's the same thing that's holding me back from getting Black/White. How much time would I have to invest in the game before coming across some of the original 150 Pokemon? And generally what level Pokemon do people bring to the PAX Pokemon League?

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
    kemikal wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing this, but I'm hesitating because it's Pokemon Black/White...

I'm a huge fan of the original 150, but I never played any of the games past Ruby/Sapphire because I just couldn't get interested in the new Pokemon. That's the same thing that's holding me back from getting Black/White. How much time would I have to invest in the game before coming across some of the original 150 Pokemon? And generally what level Pokemon do people bring to the PAX Pokemon League?

In my honest opinion (that is not in any way sponsored by nintendo, I promise) is that Black and White are great re-introductions to Pokemon. The game is structured that you don't encounter any old pokemon until after you beat the Elite four, but then you find them almost everywhere. Beating the E4 usually takes about 30 hours of game play (by my guess) and roughly level 45 pokemon.

Also the cool thing about challenging the league is we use the IR Flat battle setting. This means that any pokemon under level 50, get scaled up to level 50, and any pokemon above level 50 get scaled down to level 50. The only advantage to leveling above 50 is to learn new moves, evolutions, or more time aquiring EVs.

• Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Right, just bought Pokemon White so I can hopefully do this. Haven't played Pokemon since Silver, so.. um.. yeah. Should be interesting :D

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    Right, just bought Pokemon White so I can hopefully do this. Haven't played Pokemon since Silver, so.. um.. yeah. Should be interesting :D

it's an ADVENTURE!

• Zoroark173Zoroark173 Registered User regular

it's an ADVENTURE!

AdventureTimePKMN.png

Zoroark173 wrote: »

it's an ADVENTURE!
    AdventureTimePKMN.png

I like this more than you can imagine.

edited June 2012
    Zoroark173 wrote: »

it's an ADVENTURE!
    AdventureTimePKMN.png

I like this more than you can imagine.

All I did was edit out the Finn and Jake and replaced it with some shaky-handed laptop mouse-pad writing of Patrick & Co.But thanks for the appreciation!

EDIT: I'm going to post this on my blog. ( zoroark173.tumblr.com )

Zoroark173 on
  • Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular

it's an ADVENTURE!

An adventure that I just played for 10 hours straight... Oh god.. I've been sucked in again.

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
    If you ever get stuck, just hack yourself in a Zoroark. (If you don't know what Pokemon that is, look at my avatar.) Zoroark fixes all problems. Zoroark will help you out. Zoroark will make you feel sleepy. Very very sleepy. Zoroark will tell you to give him all of your money. Zoroark will get it. Zoroark will run away.

This discussion has been closed.