As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbender/Korra] Book 2 and 3-ish discussion, now closed

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited July 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
You remember Avatar: the Last Airbender, right? Sure you do.

If you haven't managed to see it, it combined a fascinating new world, compelling characters, great animation and a complex story involving martial artists who huck huge amounts of elements at each other. What's not to like? Go watch it immediately.

Then a live-action movie came out. It was awful. Seriously. You're better off not asking about it.

The only plus side to the movie is that Nickelodeon decided to give the original creators of the show the chance to do a sequel series, with a bigger budget no less. And so The Legend of Korra was born.

Promo_of_Korra_bending.png

Set 70-odd years after the events of the first series, the new show focuses on Korra, the new Avatar after Aang. A native waterbender, Korra quickly mastered earthbending and firebending, though airbending eludes her. Probably because the spiritually-focused discipline clashes with her brash, impatient personality. She also has a huge polar bear dog named Naga.

Republic_City_skyline.png

To learn airbending, she travels to Republic City, a thriving metropolis founded by Aang and Zuko after the events of the first show. It's technologically advanced -- think 1920s Hong Kong -- and a utopia for all four kinds of benders and non-benders alike. Er, that's the theory, anyway.

tumblr_m1hkk0WUQy1rs30kho1_500.gif

Her airbending teacher is Tenzin, one of Aang's sons. He's patient, focused and voiced by the awesome J.K. Simmons. His kids are Jinora, Ikki and Meelo, who are... well, less patient and focused.

Mako.pngBolin.png

Along the way, Korra meets Mako and Bolin, brothers who compete in pro-bending. Mako, a firebender, is stoic and reserved, while Bolin, an earthbender, is goofy and excitable. Together with Korra, they compete as the Fire Ferrets, possibly named after Pabu, Bolin's fire ferret.

Lin_Beifong.png

Lin Beifong is Toph's daughter, only she's less blind and more of a hardass. She leads Republic City's police force, who are metalbenders to the man.

250px-Asami_Sato.png

Asami Sato, heir to motor company Future Industries, joins Team Avatar mid-way through book one. She's not a bender, though she's still formidable in combat with her electrified gloves.

Amon_and_his_Equalists.png

Remember how I said Republic City might not be the utopia its creators hoped for? Here's one of the reasons. Amon was the mysterious and charismatic head of the Equalists, a group dedicated to opposing benders of all type, since the Equalists feel their massive power oppresses non-benders. And he had the means to do it too -- not only did he have a large force of chi blockers, who can temporarily block bending, and an array of high technology at his disposal, Amon had the ability to take a person's bending away. Permanently.

Without getting into spoilers, Book One ended with Amon neutralized and Korra in touch with her airbending side. What's next for her? Starting in September, you can find out in Book Two: Spirits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ftLm52V1y0

After that we'll get two more seasons, but no information has been released yet.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    So, how is the schedule for the finale? Is it two episodes together next week, or are they spaced out a week, or is there a break next week and then the finale?

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    zerg rush wrote: »
    So, how is the schedule for the finale? Is it two episodes together next week, or are they spaced out a week, or is there a break next week and then the finale?

There's a new episode this week as normal, and then 2 episodes the week after for the finale.

The preview was just put there a week early for some reason :P

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Mmm, new thread smell. Very nice OP.

I'm really surprised they only skipped the one week total. From what we heard before the series started they were going to be skips all over the place.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    ok so we have seen:
    aangs and kataras family - tenzin co.
    toph's family - beifong
    sokka and suki - ?
    zuko and mai- ?

amon is the love child of sokka and suki...just saying that sokka got kicked off the council, suki trained their kid to chi block and amon found meteor sword which he made a mask out of to block professor x's mind control!

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    no one cares about that

Amon is the best

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Amon is not related to anyone. His parents were killed by firebenders. He is the envoy of the spirits who are angry about benders abusing their power.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Having just watched the latest episode I can understand some of HamHam's criticisms.
    I think Tarlok had a lot more potential as a long term villain than was used. He wasn't written badly in this episode and the episode was not poorly directed, but Tarlok could have had a season to himself, no Amon, and still been a good villain. Alot of potential depth there. And it was a waste to take him down like that. I liked Korra's solution to the electrified cage. It may not work from an engineering standpoint, but it looked cool. It also at least shows some character development, starting to think and plan before she starts the fight.

And they are advertising the season finale early to get a big audience for it.

Pailryder wrote: »
    sokka and suki - ?
    zuko and mai- ?

Last I heard of the comic, that may not be.
    the writer of it is a zuko -suki shipper

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Chances are he might appear again later.

sokka and suki - ?
    zuko and mai- ?

Which is kind of freaking me out. Seemed out of character for
    Mai. Woman stood up to Azula, went to prison for Zuko. She'd kick his ass for keeping secrets, but leave him, probably not.

• EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    I'm still assuming that Amon's debending isn't permanent. Has anyone considered that Tarrlock's moon pendent is an actual piece of the Moon?
    Also, have we ever seen Tenzin and Amon at the same time?

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I really hope Zuko and Mai's first kid was an unholy combination of Ty Lee and Meelo.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Rchanen wrote: »
    sokka and suki - ?
    zuko and mai- ?

Mai. Woman stood up to Azula, went to prison for Zuko. She'd kick his ass for keeping secrets, but leave him, probably not.

I think it's confirmed via a picture somewhere (?) that it's Zuko and Mai

Having just watched the latest episode I can understand some of HamHam's criticisms.
    I think Tarlok had a lot more potential as a long term villain than was used. He wasn't written badly in this episode and the episode was not poorly directed, but Tarlok could have had a season to himself, no Amon, and still been a good villain. Alot of potential depth there. And it was a waste to take him down like that. I liked Korra's solution to the electrified cage. It may not work from an engineering standpoint, but it looked cool. It also at least shows some character development, starting to think and plan before she starts the fight.

I dunno. I find it hard to accept that the biggest complaints of the show are "everyone besides the big bad guy wasn't shallow or a pushover!"

Like, this should be the standard...

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    sokka and suki - ?
    zuko and mai- ?

I heard it was worse
    Zutaran

(Which, if you ask me, is like asking someone who thinks Batman should kill people to write a Batman comic)

• The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    EvilOtaku wrote: »
    I'm still assuming that Amon's debending isn't permanent. Has anyone considered that Tarrlock's moon pendent is an actual piece of the Moon?

Yes. Yes we have.

Also my theory on what is happening.
    He is chi-blocking them at the Cosmic Energy chakra to shunt them towards "earthly attachment" and break their bond to the spirit world, thus making them unable to bend. Further, he blocks the insight/illusion chakra on the forehead, leaving them unable to figure out it's not permanent. So after it wears off, they simply cannot bend because they've been tricked to believe they can never do it again.

kime wrote: »
    sokka and suki - ?
    zuko and mai- ?

I dunno. I find it hard to accept that the biggest complaints of the show are "everyone besides the big bad guy wasn't shallow or a pushover!"

Oh I have no problem with Amon being a badass among badasses or Tarlok being tougher than shit with a good backstory. I just think
    they used up Tarlok too soon. Its like killing Vader in a New Hope. A good villain goes a long way towards making a good story. Kicking a good character offstage before they get a good character arc seems wrong. Take Admiral Zhao. He was only a one-season villain. But we had plenty of time with him to see his character arc.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular

Well unless Tenzin is good at faking getting shocked then they were both at the arena when the equalists attack. If you mean in the same frame, then no we've never seen them both in close-ish proximity.

I do like your moon pendent theory, then again I'd like some sort of explanation for all the more rare/specialized benders versus their more "mundane" but powerful ancestors. Season 1 looks like it'll just end with the Amon threat, but I'd like season 2 to go into some more of the spiritual aspects. It would be nice to interact with Wan Shi Tong in the spirit realm. Ya know, on the way to see Koh.

• QinguQingu Registered User regular
    I think Amon's debending is fake. It is conspicuously different from the Avatar's method.

I also think he's part robot.

He might also have something to do with Koh the face stealer.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Except it's not, really.
    When you don't have some sort of spirit vision, the only difference between Aang's and Amon's bending, as shown in the flashback, is that Aang uses earthbending to hold the victim still.

Shadowen wrote: »
    Except it's not, really.
    When you don't have some sort of spirit vision, the only difference between Aang's and Amon's bending, as shown in the flashback, is that Aang uses earthbending to hold the victim still.

No. Their positions are different, two, and they each are completely consistent with their own style.

Could still be the same, but I hope those details mean it's not.

Steam profile
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Who's to say the cage didn't function according to proper physics?

Maybe Korra would've been fine if she'd just stood there and her clever tactic was unnecessary.

RT800 on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    sokka and suki - ?
    zuko and mai- ?

I heard it was worse
    Zutaran

(Which, if you ask me, is like asking someone who thinks Batman should kill people to write a Batman comic)

Batman killing people isn't entirely out of character for him. It's just that version is no longer associated with the modern Batman.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    sokka and suki - ?
    zuko and mai- ?

I heard it was worse
    Zutaran

Batman killing people isn't entirely out of character for him. It's just that version is no longer associated with the modern Batman.

It hasn't been a part of the character since before his parents were dead. His killing was only really a feature of the rought draft that was printed as his first official use.

RT800 wrote: »

Maybe Korra would've been fine if she'd just stood there and her clever tactic was unnecessary.

Touche

Steam profile

Touche

Mind you I am just glad Korra is trying clever tactics now. "Korra Smash!" was causing her a lot of problems.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Except it's not, really.

No. Their positions are different, two, and they each are completely consistent with their own style.

Could still be the same, but I hope those details mean it's not.

For reference:
    tumblr_m2v1lswJEo1r7coaeo1_500.jpg

Now if we look here...

tumblr_m2v2omd1Y41qinm24.png

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    im with quid who is with amon

obF2Wuw.png
    There's also a distinct lack of bemoaning both Aang and Amon removing bending under similar circumstances in this last episode. I am enjoying this greatly.

edited June 2012

Well, the water, ladder, and metal armor didn't function according to physics either. I'd assume that it's just a pattern.

Actually, scratch that. People in the avatar universe have skeletons made of incredibly good, room temperature semiconductors. They're probably made of carbon nanotubes or something.

This also explains why people aren't getting killed left and right when rocks weighing several tons impact their face at 30 miles an hour. This is my personal canon.

zerg rush on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    There's also a distinct lack of bemoaning both Aang and Amon removing bending under similar circumstances in this last episode. I am enjoying this greatly.

That was actually kind of clever, and I missed that connection.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    sokka and suki - ?
    zuko and mai- ?

Oh I have no problem with Amon being a badass among badasses or Tarlok being tougher than shit with a good backstory. I just think
    they used up Tarlok too soon. Its like killing Vader in a New Hope. A good villain goes a long way towards making a good story. Kicking a good character offstage before they get a good character arc seems wrong. Take Admiral Zhao. He was only a one-season villain. But we had plenty of time with him to see his character arc.

On the other hand:
    It made Amon an even bigger bad, and being debended only means no bloodbending. He can still be a political schemer.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    sokka and suki - ?
    zuko and mai- ?

On the other hand:
    It made Amon an even bigger bad, and being debended only means no bloodbending. He can still be a political schemer.
    Tarrlok becomes Amon successor to lead the Equalists in season 2?

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

I agree
    Story feels rushed - like they are trying to squeeze 20 episodes worth of content into 12. We found out Tarrlok was a villain, then had him defeated, in the span of two episodes.
    sokka and suki - ?
    zuko and mai- ?

On the other hand:
    Tarrlok becomes Amon successor to lead the Equalists in season 2?
    Do people think at all before they post their stupid A:TLA/LoK theories? I really wonder.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular

Not exactly. Aang was subduing an escaped convicted criminal with extra extraordinary abilities that only the Avatar could handle. Debending wasn't even considered in the trial, they preferred life in jail. Amon kidnapped an alleged crimelord who happens to be an ordinary firebender for the sole purpose of making an example of him.

Not exactly. Aang was subduing an escaped convicted criminal with extra extraordinary abilities that only the Avatar could handle. Debending wasn't even considered in the trial, they preferred life in jail. Amon kidnapped an alleged crimelord who happens to be an ordinary firebender for the sole purpose of making an example of him.

And Aang meted out a permanent, extrajudicial punishment. Amon took out a crime lord, someone also actively harming people, with the same method. Aang didn't debend the guy because his abilities were extraordinary. He did it because he abused them and there was no other option. The non benders suffering under Zolt were in a similar situation.

Which says nothing about Tarrlok who I was specifically referring to.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

And Aang meted out a permanent, extrajudicial punishment. Amon took out a crime lord, someone also actively harming people, with the same method. Aang didn't debend the guy because his abilities were extraordinary. He did it because he abused them and there was no other option. The non benders suffering under Zolt were in a similar situation.

Technically, Aang did debend a guy who was as of that moment a convicted criminal sentenced to life in prison. Not sure if that makes it better, but it makes it different from what Amon has done.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Well, tbh, 12 episodes is kind of short, especially 12 half hour episodes.

• CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    It's one of the constants in the Avatar universe.

Bloodbenders who abuse their powers get them taken away.

The other one is that anyone's parents can and will be killed by a lone, roving firebender.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

Between Ozai and Yakone there's a common theme of spirit bending being used by Aang as a reactionary last resort to a person who obviously has no interest in abiding by the law. In both cases it's pretty clear that they can't be constrained by any conventional means, so spirit bending is the only alternative to execution.

Kidnapping people, both gangsters and police, who have nothing in common but the ability to bend and taking it isn't reactionary, and it's to serve as means to an end, that end being the persecution of anyone with the ability.

Javen on
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Technically, Aang did debend a guy who was as of that moment a convicted criminal sentenced to life in prison. Not sure if that makes it better, but it makes it different from what Amon has done.

They're also different in that one took place during the day and the other at night. But neither of these differences are really relevant.

This discussion has been closed.