As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• GruntGremicGruntGremic GRUNT SeattleRegistered User new member
    edited June 2012
    OMG their Diablo song OP are they playing this year?

GruntGremic on
  • KelaosKelaos Registered User regular
    PAX/Big convention newbie (our anime con is pretty small)

I'm wondering with the Merch Booths 2 things:

1) How big is the "Dealers Room" (Or whatever it's called at PAX)?

2) Should I take cash or am I safe with credit cards? Or should I do a bit of both? (I know at the con here it's almost exclusively cash)

Thanks for the help! :)

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Kelaos wrote: »

2) Should I take cash or am I safe with credit cards? Or should I do a bit of both? (I know at the con here it's almost exclusively cash)

There isn't really a centralized "Dealer's Room," per se. Some booths on the Expo floor sell things, there are tabletop vendors (usually indies) down near tabletop, there's a PAX and Penny-Arcade merch booth, and there's BandLand, where various performers sell merch (Chris and Scott, Paul and Storm, JoCo, LoadingReadyRun, etc.)

Cash is probably your best bet. I know some of the Bandland people are not set up for credit cards, and cash is just easier for everyone. There are some vendors who can take cards, but not everyone can.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular

There isn't really a centralized "Dealer's Room," per se. Some booths on the Expo floor sell things, there are tabletop vendors (usually indies) down near tabletop, there's a PAX and Penny-Arcade merch booth, and there's BandLand, where various performers sell merch (Chris and Scott, Paul and Storm, JoCo, LoadingReadyRun, etc.)

Cash is probably your best bet. I know some of the Bandland people are not set up for credit cards, and cash is just easier for everyone. There are some vendors who can take cards, but not everyone can.

On this note as well, I noticed a thread on the forums talking about false charges on their credit card (some double charges from vendors as well as the hotels), so if you are going to use them, make sure to watch your statements. I am a first time PAX goer, and I think I am planning on using mostly cash. Visa is there just in case we go crazy though. :lol:

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fenrisfang wrote: »

On this note as well, I noticed a thread on the forums talking about false charges on their credit card (some double charges from vendors as well as the hotels), so if you are going to use them, make sure to watch your statements. I am a first time PAX goer, and I think I am planning on using mostly cash. Visa is there just in case we go crazy though. :lol:

I wouldn't say that false charges are the norm, but it can happen with so many people and so many transactions. Sometimes a button gets pushed twice, or whatever.

Personally I tend to bring a mixture of both. I don't like carrying too much cash on me.

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »

I wouldn't say that false charges are the norm, but it can happen with so many people and so many transactions. Sometimes a button gets pushed twice, or whatever.

Personally I tend to bring a mixture of both. I don't like carrying too much cash on me.
    I do the opposite. I bring in a set amount of cash per day and use my card for a BIG purchase or as my emergancy thing.

But in the end, it's more of a "whatever you think will be safe/comfortable for you and your financial situation" kind of thing.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    I was simply stating that it has happened and when using your credit card, just be sure to check you statements when they come in. I know a LOT of people don't do this unless there is a reason, so I was giving my reasoning behind the statement. For sure it is not the norm, or precautions would have to be taken.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular

I did a mix of cash and credit last time and probably will do the same again. Mine was one of the unlucky cards to get the number stolen but I am thinking that happened outside the convention and not with the vendors there. I didn't have any double charges or issues with vendors.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • mikeydude0mikeydude0 Halo lover NJRegistered User new member
    edited June 2012
    Does anyone know when the tickets for next year will go on sale? I know it's a long time away but I'm really exited for it and want to make sure I can get in.

mikeydude0 on
    edited June 2012
    mikeydude0 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the tickets for next year will go on sale? I know it's a long time away but I'm really exited for it and want to make sure I can get in.

They'll start next year after PAX East, just like this year

zerzhul on
  • DarkdeathEvilmanDarkdeathEvilman Registered User new member
    Does anybody know which day the Brawl tournament is gonna be at? Friday, or Saturday?

Does anybody know which day the Brawl tournament is gonna be at? Friday, or Saturday?

I didn't know any tournaments had even been announced.

• equusgdessequusgdess Registered User new member
    edited June 2012
    I have questions on autograph and photograph etiquette. Are the signings at PAX usually free, in contrast to comicons where you always have to pay? If you see someone you want an autograph from at a booth, can you just ask for one, even if they aren't doing an official signing? How bout if you see them walking around? Also, is it ok to take pictures from afar, or should you go up and ask first?

Lots of questions, but I don't want to be that person bothering everyone about autographs or appearing to be rude.

equusgdess on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Basically, common sense prevails.

Oh, and I haven't heard of anyone charging for autographs.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    rwmorris2 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there will be a 5th annual Triwizard drinking tourney / pub crawl the night before PAX? I thought by now we would be assigning houses.

I don't think it was up this early last year. As far as I know there will be one. Be patient :)

Anyone know any more info on the pub crawl?
    I know the thread came up late last year but this is one of the events I look forward to every year! :-D

Also, is the theme changing this year due to Harry Potter no longer being a 'new' thing?

qxd8or7ouox3.png
    Serenity wrote: »
    Anyone know if there will be a 5th annual Triwizard drinking tourney / pub crawl the night before PAX? I thought by now we would be assigning houses.

I don't think it was up this early last year. As far as I know there will be one. Be patient :)

I know the thread came up late last year but this is one of the events I look forward to every year! :-D

Also, is the theme changing this year due to Harry Potter no longer being a 'new' thing?

No info yet as far as I know, and the theme isn't changing as far as I know. I don't think that it was ever being done because it was 'new' ;). Pokemon certainly wasn't new for the pokecrawl.

• GRIFFIN_XVIGRIFFIN_XVI MinnesotaRegistered User new member
    Okay, I've looked everywhere, but I can't find my answer. Will most vendors accept credit/debit cards, or do I need to tote my stripper money around?

• courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    Serenity wrote: »

This is something I'm very curious about since the Scott & Kris show at the Triple Door is Thurs 8/30 at 8pm and tickets go on sale tomorrow.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Okay, I've looked everywhere, but I can't find my answer. Will most vendors accept credit/debit cards, or do I need to tote my stripper money around?

I know the PA merch booth takes plastic, but other than that there's no guarantees. Worst case is you can hit up an ATM (probably one outside of the WSCC since that will probably be out of cash by 10:01 on Friday, if not sooner).

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    I know the PA merch booth takes plastic, but other than that there's no guarantees. Worst case is you can hit up an ATM (probably one outside of the WSCC since that will probably be out of cash by 10:01 on Friday, if not sooner).
    Many extra ATMs are brought into the building during PAX (in the 4th floor lobbies), so sometimes they're not out of money when you discover you need more cash.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

I will say (YMMV!) that Credit card just seems to be more available these days in general, even for small vendors and "on the go" vendors. Heck the Steve Jackson Booth had that fancy ipad credit card swipy thingy that seems to just be popping up everywhere (and it even emails you with a reciept.)

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »

I will say (YMMV!) that Credit card just seems to be more available these days in general, even for small vendors and "on the go" vendors. Heck the Steve Jackson Booth had that fancy ipad credit card swipy thingy that seems to just be popping up everywhere (and it even emails you with a reciept.)

This:
    https://squareup.com/

Lots of companies are using them now at conventions and whatnot.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »

This:

Yes, that. Heck even my Christmas tree vendor had one this year (saved me the trouble of running back and getting a check book!) Like I said, YMMV. The wife and I had pretty much all the cash we brough with us when we left (minus a few smaller food purchases where cash was just simpler.) However we also didn't buy a whole bunch (if you exclude the $100+ we dropped on SJG's stuff.)

• courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »

This:

And they're dependent on network, so still be able of getting cash in case of network overloads. Anyone who seriously uses one will have a Verizon plan, but you still come across smaller businesses now and then running them on their AT&T phones at conventions and frequently they will stop working.

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Should you need cash and the ATM's at the convention center seem empty, your next closest one (with horrible fee) will be at the convenience store across the street. For a full Chase ATM and bank that are nearby yet far enough away to not get mobbed, they are next to the parking garage for Pacific Place - from the Convention Center go one block down 7th to Pine, down Pine a block to Pacific Place, then another block to get to the other side of the building, where you'll find the bank, ATM, parking garage, and Starbucks. And there's another Chase ATM on the bottom floor of Pacific Place, just outside the book store.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    your next closest one (with horrible fee) will be at the convenience store across the street.

It should be noted that this convenience store is a mythical land full of wonderous cures for whatever ails you. Snacks, OTC meds, etc.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • GRIFFIN_XVIGRIFFIN_XVI MinnesotaRegistered User new member
    edited June 2012

Thanks muchly friends! I doubt I'll remember the instructions to the mythical far-away ATM, but I have a 4G connection for that, yay for Google Maps!

GRIFFIN_XVI on
  • SwanySwany Registered User new member
    Probably a stupid question, but I still feel the need to ask. Would I be able to bring a bottle of alcohol into PAX if it's in a taped shut gift bag? It's to hand in to a booth, for someone I'm a big fan of.

That sucks. Good to hear that it wasn't one of the vendors.
    Swany wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question, but I still feel the need to ask. Would I be able to bring a bottle of alcohol into PAX if it's in a taped shut gift bag? It's to hand in to a booth, for someone I'm a big fan of.

Though this is my first PAX, I'm going to guess no. Someone with more experience may correct me on this one, but you MAY be able to ask an Enforcer to give it to the booth for you. You miss out the chance to see said person face to face, but they would still get the gift.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2012

Though this is my first PAX, I'm going to guess no. Someone with more experience may correct me on this one, but you MAY be able to ask an Enforcer to give it to the booth for you. You miss out the chance to see said person face to face, but they would still get the gift.
    No one is supposed to have any alcohol on the premises that was not provided by the center's food service contractor. There are no public events during PAX where alcohol is served, so there should be no alcohol in the possession of any attendees while inside the center. The Enforcers are not going to search your bags (and center security or the police are unlikely to unless you give them probable cause), so whatever is in there is your business.

Any gifting to vendors you want to do is between you and the vendor; some accept gifts and some do not. Enforcers will not handle packages of any type in the way @Fenrisfang suggests.

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Oh I'm glad i checked this thread - my ticket email had gone into my spam folder! Its now recovered, phew!

What happened to the chat thread?

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Oh I'm glad i checked this thread - my ticket email had gone into my spam folder! Its now recovered, phew!

What happened to the chat thread?

It was deleted.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • evanextremeevanextreme Registered User regular
    Any idea when the badges will ship for those of us who managed to snag them on time?

New Yorker. @evanextreme on Twitter. I do a ton of things on the internet.
    I went to East 11, Prime 12, East 13, and will be attending East 15.
    Any idea when the badges will ship for those of us who managed to snag them on time?

A couple weeks before PAX, most likely

edited June 2012

No one is supposed to have any alcohol on the premises that was not provided by the center's food service contractor. There are no public events during PAX where alcohol is served, so there should be no alcohol in the possession of any attendees while inside the center. The Enforcers are not going to search your bags (and center security or the police are unlikely to unless you give them probable cause), so whatever is in there is your business.

Any gifting to vendors you want to do is between you and the vendor; some accept gifts and some do not. Enforcers will not handle packages of any type in the way @Fenrisfang suggests.

I wasn't sure as this is my first PAX (as stated). Thanks for correcting me on this one. It was just a guess as to how one MAY go about doing so.

Fenrisfang on
  • JesmanJesman Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Hi guys,

i know my chances are pretty small to get an answer but i want to give it a try.
    My wife and I are planning our USA vacation for next year, we come from germany and want to try do visit and do all the stuff we think we miss here.
    So we are planning to travel the US for 4 to 6 weeks and we haven't set our timeframe yet. And since we are both gamers, at least in the little freetime we have, it would be really awesome if we could attend to PAX.
    So is there any chance you can tell us the months in which the PAX 2013 will be? Or at least when this information will be announced?

Also while I'm here asking questions I would love if you could give me some other suggestions what we should check out while we are in the US.

Jesman on
  • DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    PAX Prime is usually the last weekend in August / First Weekend in September, so if you plan your trip for around then, you should have no troubles making it.

PAX East is usually late March / Early April but it's cold and generally not good weather for vacationing.

• JesmanJesman Registered User regular
    Thanks DaveRH! That's sound like a great idea. Is PAX Prime always in Seattle?

Jesman wrote: »
    Thanks DaveRH! That's sound like a great idea. Is PAX Prime always in Seattle?

It has been so far.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2012
    PAX East 2013 is March 22-24 in Boston, MA, PAX Prime 2013 is August 30 - September 1 in Seattle, WA

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.