As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Hotel Discussion

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Just double checked and the room we got at homewood is a standard one bed room (not a suite). Since these don't have a kitchenette, do they have a mini fridge?

I was pretty sure the one bed rooms at homewood still had the kitchenette... Are you certain that it does not?

Onpeak said standard room, which according to homewoods website has no kitchen listed as an amenity. Then again, now that I think of it, it says nothing of a sofa sleeper either....

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    Just double checked and the room we got at homewood is a standard one bed room (not a suite). Since these don't have a kitchenette, do they have a mini fridge?

I was pretty sure the one bed rooms at homewood still had the kitchenette... Are you certain that it does not?

Onpeak said standard room, which according to homewoods website has no kitchen listed as an amenity. Then again, now that I think of it, it says nothing of a sofa sleeper either....

The homewood seattle convention center doesn't have /any/ rooms that aren't suites, so I'm not sure where you're grabbing your info from.

The standard room for that hotel is a 1 bedroom king suite.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited May 2012

The homewood seattle convention center doesn't have /any/ rooms that aren't suites, so I'm not sure where you're grabbing your info from.

The homewoods website lists suite and non-suite rooms: homewoodsuitesseattle.com/accommodations.php

adias.angel on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    this one does not http://homewoodsuites1.hilton.com/en_US/hw/hotel/SEAHMHW-Homewood-Suites-by-Hilton-Seattle-Conv-Ctr-Pike-Street-Washington/index.do

I had never actually seen the website you posted before. Either way, I'm fairly certain that the onpeak rooms are suites.

zerzhul on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Considering the OnPeak website specified the sofa bed, I'm 99% sure they are suites.

If you want to be /extra/ sure, make sure you speak to someone at OnPeak that is actually familiar with the hotel. Usually the first-line people on the phone know exactly nothing except what information would already be available on the website reservation system. You could ask to speak with a reservations manager, or something of that sort.

You could even call the hotel itself and ask if they do any rooms that don't have the kitchen.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Kusanagi604Kusanagi604 Registered User regular
    Considering the OnPeak website specified the sofa bed, I'm 99% sure they are suites.

They have both suites and non-suites but from my past experience all the suites booked through OnPeak are suites. Last year OnPeak ran out of suites so I called the hotel and booked my room directly through them specifying I wanted a suite but they gave me a non-suite room. Man, I ran straight back down and complained and ended up getting my suite. Really bummed that the hotel completely ran out of rooms this year.

• Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I stayed at the Homewood last year, booked through OnPeak, and got a suite. It had a full kitchen and etc. It was listed as: Double Occupancy One Bed Studio w/sleeper sofa

There was no particular option to choose suite or nonsuite last year though, and there wasn't one this year either, but since it says sleeper sofa (the nonsuite room does not have a sofa), it should be a studio suite.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    FYI, for Thursday-Monday there's one hotel left you should be able to stitch something together across multiple hotels still.
    There's also less than 250 (possibly left than 225) total rooms left on Friday Night (similar numbers Saturday Night)
    All numbers rough estimates.

• Options
    DarkAonDarkAon Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    bohemian wrote: »
    DarkAon wrote: »
    bohemian wrote: »
    Any reviews on Crowne Plaza? Staying there Friday to Monday...

Our group stayed at the Crowne Plaza last year. It was pretty decent. Rooms were sizable, comfortable and nice. Access to the convention center is good if you go through the park. Our two biggest complaints about the place were that the elevators were very slow and the TV's in the rooms couldn't be used with game consoles (they use a device to lock it down).

Thanks! Would you know if there was any free breakfast and wi-fi? I'm obviously not gonna be in my hotel room for anything other than sleeping and showering, but it would be nice to know if the usual creature comforts are still there.

I don't believe they offer breakfast for free. Wi-Fi is for a fee unless you have status with their chain's rewards program.

gdGxyA3
  • Options
    CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    Hrm... I'm finding it's so much cheaper to fly out Wednesday and return Tuesday that I'm wishing I had booked a day earlier and a day later on my reservation.

• Options
    Creamsteak wrote: »
    Hrm... I'm finding it's so much cheaper to fly out Wednesday and return Tuesday that I'm wishing I had booked a day earlier and a day later on my reservation.

I wish we had booked a day earlier too cause of flight prices. I am considering staying in another hotel for that Wednesday and then moving over to the homewood (our reservation).

• Options
    Creamsteak wrote: »

FWIW, we went ahead and booked a Wed-Monday figuring the incremental cost of the extra hotel day (We had planned on coming out Thursday) would be offset by the lower priced tickets. So far that seems to be mostly true (not exatcly equal, but tickets are about $50/person cheaper on Wednesday, and the hotel was only $220/night so for an extra $120, we get an extra vacation day.)
    We figured even if this turned out not to be true, we could always just adjust our reservation. It takes some getting used to, thinking like that, since I (along with most others I'd imagine) are used to prepay reservations!

FWIW, not is as good as time as any to point out there are 0 official hotels left in a continuous Thurs-Sunday Block (in fact there are only 2 hotels left on Thursday at all!). And on Friday night there are now less than 200 (~180) total hotel rooms available. (More rooms on the flanking Wednesday and Sunday it looks like. Friday and Saturday are the big stay days.)

• Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    My group and I will be staying at the Homewood this year. We booked before hotel reg went up and through another site. I don't think we will get bumped (I am a travelers club member through the military) but worst case scenario is we get bumped and they refund the cost completely (I discussed this with the hotel themselves one day for the "just in case scenario" and they said that if they bump anyone then they fully refun the cost of the room and put them up somewhere else for free) and then we stay at my sister's apartment or at another hotel and borrow her car!

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    Huh, it looks like some rooms and a new hotel got added to the block (or at least I don't recall seeing a Courtyard on there before.) And certainly there were no Thursday-Monday available yesterday (or for that matter 45 seconds ago when I just searched. And note there are a few of them across several hotels.) This is good for people not on the ball yet. Book now if you'd like a Hotel on Thursday night. (YMMV)

• Options
    Yeah, so what they've done is that they've added one more hotel (the Courtyard) to the "official event hotels". Since so few are open now, they've added a "web rates" section as well that includes even more hotels, but not at a pax rate.

• Options
    Yeah, so what they've done is that they've added one more hotel (the Courtyard) to the "official event hotels". Since so few are open now, they've added a "web rates" section as well that includes even more hotels, but not at a pax rate.

The "Webrate" thing has been showing up whenever you selected a set of dates with 0 matches prior to now. I think they just have it displaying always now. The prices are pretty bad IMHO.
    As for "more rooms" even without the new hotel there is a slight uptick in the number of rooms available Friday night by my count. It could be do to some cancelations, or some hotels threw more into the block. It's hard to tell. There's defintely more overall rooms available Thursday night than before.

• Options
    MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I personally found Trivago cheaper than the PAX rates. We got down to $130 a night. The Roosevelt is $160 on Trivago but $200 on PAX. These rooms don't include wireless though.

MarkWebster on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I personally found Trivago cheaper than the PAX rates. We got down to $130 a night. The Roosevelt is $160 on Trivago but $200 on PAX. These rooms don't include wireless though.

They might not be the same room types... also I'm guessing you would have to pay in full up front, non refundable. I see you're right about the Roosevelt being a little cheaper, but I'm not seeing the same for any other of the partner hotels. Anyhow, the reality is that if you're not part of the official block, YMMV. You might get a great deal, you might not, and you might get bumped if the hotel is overbooked.

Edit: Also, most of the partner hotels with the pax rate are sold out. Are you sure you're not comparing to the "web rates" in OnPeak as opposed to the "official event" rates? With the exception of the Roosevelt, I'm not seeing any better deals on trivago (though maybe it's date dependent?)

zerzhul on
  • Options
    MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular
    We're at the Warwick, which is only a 10 minute walk away.

Hotels surely can't overbook if they've taken your cash up front?

• Options

They can, since the hotel isn't taking your cash up front, the 3rd party "booking" site is. Not saying it /would/ happen, but it /could/ happen.

• Options

They can, since the hotel isn't taking your cash up front, the 3rd party "booking" site is. Not saying it /would/ happen, but it /could/ happen.

AFAIK, it doesn't matter if it's a 3rd party booking site or not, Walking happens (just like being bumped from a flight happens.) The first party booking sites seems to just seem a bit more "conservative" about total room capacity. (It's far more complicated than that to be sure, there's buyouts, last minute sales and whatnot.)
    FWIW last year the Grand Hyatt still showed room availability on their site and others after the block sellout, but when we arrived and asked to stay an extra night they reported as totally full. Additionally the deals to condense 2 rooms down into one suite would support that. (We did get our extra night eventually. Someone likely either canceled or took the suite deal.)

• Options
    They've added one more hotel to the "official" block

SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown
    1800 Yale Ave
    (0.50 miles to Event Location)

• Options
    They've added one more hotel to the "official" block

SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown
    1800 Yale Ave
    (0.50 miles to Event Location)

It's worth pointing out that this add didn't seem to actually add all that many rooms (~25 are left for friday night.) I wonder if we'll see a few people jump from the 0.9mi away hotel to the 0.5mi away one too.
    I've done the "add up the rooms left" thing for twice to check my math and I get less than 200 rooms (170 specifically) including the two newest adds. There's only one hotel left with more than 25 rooms left at all Friday night. (It's gonna be hopping down town!)

TL;DR If you want a hotel, GET NOW!

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    FYI- As of 12:37PM PST, for Check-in: Thu Aug 30 Check-out: Mon Sep 03 (two people), I'm seeing the following places on the OnPeak site:

The Grand Hyatt Seattle (2 blocks)
    SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown (0.5 miles)
    Courtyard Seattle Pioneer Square (0.9 miles)

If you are looking to get a room or move to a hotel closer in, make your calls now!

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    FYI- As of 12:37PM PST, for Check-in: Thu Aug 30 Check-out: Mon Sep 03 (two people), I'm seeing the following places on the OnPeak site:

The Grand Hyatt Seattle (2 blocks)
    SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown (0.5 miles)
    Courtyard Seattle Pioneer Square (0.9 miles)

If you are looking to get a room or move to a hotel closer in, make your calls now!

Huh, IIRC the Grand Hyatt was sold out last week. Perhaps they added more rooms? Or there's been a few cancelations all at once.
    Also I don't like their "2 blocks" description for that. It's just on the other side of the parking garage from the WSCC across from the annex.
    It looks like there are 8 rooms left or so so, I'd be making a Get on that now, (if I didn't already have a room there.)

Edit: I added up 196 rooms available on Friday night. Since this number incles to the SpringHill and Courtyard late additions, it's gone up a bit from when I was tracking, also it's just higher than it was a few days ago when I checked.

tsrblke on
  • Options
    skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    I am so glad the Hilton "found" some reservation space last weeeeeek! I always stay a mile or more away which seems close but...it's not. Not after all of that walking in the convention center.

Anyone know anything about the awesomeness of the underground walkway thing?

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    skylatron wrote: »
    Underground walkway thing? This sounds interesting as my current reservations are at the Hilton a block down from the Sheraton... I'm assuming you are referring to the same place?

EDIT POST-GOOGLE: Ooooo, I wasn't aware of that 'feature'. I'll be watching for more info on this with interest.

bacon_avenger on
    PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    Underground walkway thing? This sounds interesting as my current reservations are at the Hilton a block down from the Sheraton... I'm assuming you are referring to the same place?

EDIT POST-GOOGLE: Ooooo, I wasn't aware of that 'feature'. I'll be watching for more info on this with interest.

Link plz!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    GeeCee wrote: »

Link plz!
    From the first paragraph, last line of the 'At A Glance' section of http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/washington/hilton-seattle-SEASHHF/index.html:
    If you’re in town for a conference, walk to the Washington State Convention Center via the underground concourse.

No pictures of it that I've found so far.

bacon_avenger on
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    Yep, I haven't found any pictures or much information about it, except that there are shops.

• Options
    UNHMANUNHMAN [E] Registered User regular
    I got a quick question about hotels in general. Whether I fly or take a three day train ride I will be getting into Seattle at 10:30. And hotel check in is at 3:00. Are you allowed to go to your hotel and leave your bags until the check in time? I really don't want to walk around Seattle for a few hours with a full suitcase. Thanks.

• Options
    UNHMAN wrote: »
    I got a quick question about hotels in general. Whether I fly or take a three day train ride I will be getting into Seattle at 10:30. And hotel check in is at 3:00. Are you allowed to go to your hotel and leave your bags until the check in time? I really don't want to walk around Seattle for a few hours with a full suitcase. Thanks.

Most hotels will hold your luggage. Some may even have early checkin. That one will vary based on business and room cleaning.

• Options
    Panda PartyPanda Party I got jimmies. Olympia, WARegistered User regular

I stayed at the Hilton for Sakura Con a couple years ago, and that walkway was kind of spooky. Then again, most of the shops were closed or empty, so that might have been it. It's been probably four years since then.

I don't know how it'll be for PAX, but after a certain time it was locked and the security guard wouldn't let us in, so we had to walk back to the hotel outside. But when we passed by the security guy we could see what he was doing on his computer and he was surfing porn, bahahaha.

• Options
    Guys, just FYI, I can't really explain what happened, but currently there are less than 100 hotels available friday night. Yes that's right, less than 100 by my math. This means in 2 days half of the remaining rooms disappeared. Buy now, or regret (remember you won't get charged until closer to the event.)

By the by, I just run down the Friday column and add up. Saturday numbers are pretty even to the Friday numbers, but if you need a Thursday or Sunday night hotel room YMMV.

• Options
    WestrunnerWestrunner Steam's Dirty Little Whore Mojave Desert, NVRegistered User regular
    Have a little terror in my life:

So I called the Sheraton and they told me explicitly "If we don't have your name then you don't have a reservation." "Even if you were part of a group we'd still have your name." Onpeak definitely has me confirmed, and I wasn't talking to the local Sheraton (their local reservations are gone after 5pm CST) but I am very concerned right now. Anyone else been through this? Have any insight?

TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Westrunner wrote: »
    Have a little terror in my life:

So I called the Sheraton and they told me explicitly "If we don't have your name then you don't have a reservation." "Even if you were part of a group we'd still have your name." Onpeak definitely has me confirmed, and I wasn't talking to the local Sheraton (their local reservations are gone after 5pm CST) but I am very concerned right now. Anyone else been through this? Have any insight?

They're very likely wrong. OnPeak almost never transfers individual reservations to the actual hotels until a week or two before PAX. Also if you weren't talking with the Sheraton in question, the person you were talking to has no clue. You can call OnPeak and speak to a reasonable person to confirm, but I'm almost positive that if you have a confirmation email with OnPeak you're fine.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    WestrunnerWestrunner Steam's Dirty Little Whore Mojave Desert, NVRegistered User regular
    Good to know; thanks Zerzhul.

TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
  • Options

To be fair, I do not represent anyone in the matter in any way, so you really should still call OnPeak to be sure, but I'm pretty sure what I said is true.

• Options

To be fair, I do not represent anyone in the matter in any way, so you really should still call OnPeak to be sure, but I'm pretty sure what I said is true.

Obviously I echo Zerzul here (and represent anyone either.) But I'm pretty sure this happened last year too. And technically it's true, Onepeak has a reservation and they're giving it to you, they just haven't done it yet in Sheraton's system ;). The people at the big office are going to play Cover their butts and not say anything that would get them in trouble.

Speaking of OnPeak, as of right now there are only 57 Friday rooms left!

This discussion has been closed.