As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• GankGank Registered User regular
    I really gotta watch Superman VS The Elite... I'm so damn behind on everything.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Does Superman vs the Eilte have one of those DC Showcase stories? I really enjoy those. Especially since it allows me to see some of my favorite heroes shown off, like Green Arrow and Jonah Hex.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I'm totally behind on the DC animated movies. I keep meaning to watch Batman: Year One and Justice League: Doom, but never get around to it for one reason or another...

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I watch them late at night when I have nothing better to do and when I have to stay up to do things during the day

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    So it sounds like CW would really like Arrow to succeed. They're scheduling it for Wednesdays, as a lead-in for Supernatural, which is moving from the Friday night death slot after x number of years there.

This is good because:

1) They're not automatically sticking Arrow in Supernatural's old spot, which often happens with sci-fi-esque shows.

2) Supernatural is the CW's #2 rated show, after Vampire Diaries. Supernatural has a pretty rabid and loyal fanbase and managed to still stay afloat in the Friday night death slot (9 pm-10 pm) even though it had competition for pretty much the same audience pool as the other shows in that slot, Fringe and Grimm. From the sounds of it, CW is hoping some of that fanbase will show up early to catch Arrow. That just might work.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Supernatural is actually a pretty entertaining show though (or at least the 1st season is, so far), but that Arrow footage looks pretty painful. Of course, that didn't stop them from giving us 10 seasons of Smallville.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Superman Vs the Elite was really good. I really didnt expect much not being familiar with the source material on that one but I actually think it's one of their better efforts in the direct video movies they've been doing.
    No Showcase unfortunately. I do wish they could get more non Superman/Batman properties off the ground, but they just never sell well for them.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Man, I just watched that Green Arrow... sorry, Arrow trailer for the first time, and granted the only thing I know about Green Arrow is from watching JLU and Brave and the Bold.. but isn't he supposed to be a more lighthearted hero? What gives?

EDIT: Also, remind me to pour a fictional "one" out for the old Summer Slugfest thread. Served us well for almost a full year.

Undead Scottsman on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Man, I just watched that Green Arrow... sorry, Arrow trailer for the first time, and granted the only thing I know about Green Arrow is from watching JLU and Brave and the Bold.. but isn't he supposed to be a more lighthearted hero? What gives?

EDIT: Also, remind me to pour a fictional "one" out for the old Summer Slugfest thread. Served us well for almost a full year.

she saw two summers with her name unchanged

Indeed sir.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular

They had an old Batman script laying around.

Honestly, I'm not sure a jovial Green Arrow show would work-the character himself might work as a supporting character with that type of persona, but I don't know how interesting it would be to see it week in and week out. Though I guess the same can be said for the dark and somber mood they got going on.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll use recognizable villains or make up their own.

One thing that annoyed me about Smallville was how Luthor was the only bad guy from the comics, excepting later seasons when there were cameos galore.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »

They had an old Batman script laying around.

Honestly, I'm not sure a jovial Green Arrow show would work-the character himself might work as a supporting character with that type of persona, but I don't know how interesting it would be to see it week in and week out. Though I guess the same can be said for the dark and somber mood they got going on.

GA didn't need to be a light hearted character to work well, but going to far and making him Batman lite seems to go to far IMO. Hawkeye's already a somber character in the films now Green Arrow is as well. Green Arrow in Smallville had a good balance.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    http://io9.com/5919405/spider+man-turns-into-a-spider+jerk-in-the-first-full+length-amazing-spider+man-clip

I do like that they're giving Spidey a personality...I'm just not sure if it's the right personality.

edited June 2012
    He's supposed to be a jerk 'til Ben dies or some equivalent tragedy transpires.

Robos A Go Go on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I think that takes place after Ben dies. He checks the guy for a tattoo, which I'm guessing the guy who kills Ben has it.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Spider-Man is always a dick. The difference is, before Ben's death he's a selfish dick.

Antimatter wrote: »
    Spider-Man is always a dick. The difference is, before Ben's death he's a selfish dick.

Quick, someone post the panel where Spidey runs into Punisher and Lady Punisher!

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    spidermanavenging6dkeepyourmouthshutspidey.jpg

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Tex, I almost made a new OP last night just to talk about my one greatest passion: Superhero TV shows.

But since Ghost Rider 2 and the Avengers have already changed cinema forever, it was so uninspired I just deleted it and decided to wait it out.

Thank you for still believing and actually posting trailers and stuff when everything but ASM and TDKR are out, and all the TV shows are on hiatus.

Also, I really need to pick up some of that Dark Dew. The Green Lantern brisk tea from last year was delicious, and had awesome Kenneth Rocafort art on the cans and bottles.

I waited, Hadji, I waited like Uncle Ben was waiting for Peter at the library listening to Sum 41!

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Tex, The Hub has been reairing Louis & Clark, and it's also on Netflix, so I've been watching it.

I'm surprised that the earlier episodes still hold up pretty well and aren't just nostalgia feed.

What is your present-day opinion on that show?

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Spider-man should always be a jerk to his villains. Always.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    It depends on the villain. I kind of like it when he's just disappointed in his long-time villains for going back to crime for the nth time.

Centipede Damascus on
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Tex, The Hub has been reairing Louis & Clark, and it's also on Netflix, so I've been watching it.

I'm surprised that the earlier episodes still hold up pretty well and aren't just nostalgia feed.

The only thing about that show that I really remember is Howie Mandel as Mxyptlk.

• GankGank Registered User regular
    All I remember is smug Dean Cain...

Still good though.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I like it that Lady Punisher is pointing a gun at Spidey

and he doesn't even consider it as even a minor threat

his biggest worry at that point is making a social faux pas

oh Spidey you scamp

I remember watching the first season and liking it and I remember things like Ma Kent making the uniform, but didn't stick around as it went on. If it's up on Netflix I may need to check it out again, and see if I'm just thinking of it through rose colored glasses. I think I might be doing the same thing with the Flash TV show.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I remember watching the first season and liking it and I remember things like Ma Kent making the uniform, but didn't stick around as it went on. If it's up on Netflix I may need to check it out again, and see if I'm just thinking of it through rose colored glasses. I think I might be doing the same thing with the Flash TV show.

I just rewatched the entire Flash series about 2 months ago. A few bits are still as awesome as I remember, but a lot of it has not held up well. Some of the episodes are even as campy as the old Adam West Batman.

The fight choreography is terrible, and they were trying way too hard to cash in on the Burton Bat-films by making Central City feel like Gotham.

Still some gems among the episodes though; Nightshade episodes, the first Trickster episode, the pilot, a few others here and there.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    This is really interesting, and some actual investigative journalism.

That stuff about Loeb's facebook page being taken down might have been done by someone who really hates USM

That article goes into detail about how the guy made a Marvel TV site, uses it to blast Marvel animation, and even made up a press release about EMH and Avengers Assemble replacing it. Now, in a TV Guide interview it's implied AA is replacing EMH but it was never official from Marvel, even though nearly every comic site linked to that Marvel TV site.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Since when is Rich Johnston against printing rumors as news?

Damn it, I had the faintest glimmer of hope that EMH wouldn't be cancelled after all. Boo.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I told you guys the Avengers Assemble art was old promo art they had been using on the Digital Storefront and whatnot for ages!

CYpGAPn.png
    I did notice that, but I had just assumed they went ahead and used the same art out of laziness...hah.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I want to play Lego Batman 2 so bad

edited June 2012
    Finally got around to watching an episode of Ultimate, specifically the Bendis one.

It had its moments, like Peter/Wolverine accidentally stabbing himself with his claws and Logan failing at web slinging, but apart from that it was pretty boring. The fights were forgettable, the villains had no real presence or personality, and the cutaways really broke the flow of things.

Robos A Go Go on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Wait they made that episode? The issues it's based on open with recap pages of bendis killing his editor for making him do it. It served no point, moved nothing forward and only had a few moments even worth paying attention to.

Oh wait... I guess that fits the loeb cartoon method

edited June 2012
    I rented Superman vs. the Elite, and one thing I want to say more than anything else is that Lois Lane was fantastic, easily the best version of Lois in any cartoon ever. I think it's worth seeing the film just for Lois alone, she's that good and that strong of a character. Young Justice's Artemis does her voice and it seems off the first time you hear it,but it really works as the movie goes along. But the Lois and Clark banter and dialgoue, it's just so good, I miss them so, so much. It was weird how they weren't married in this but clearly living together, as they changed a scene from a bed to the couch, yet at the same time this is a film that constantly talks about Menagerie wanting to bang Superman and do other kinky stuff. It just seemed weird that you can have sex talk, but marriage is a no no.

As for the film, it's good on it's own, and I can clearly see how if you never read Action #775 you would like it more than if you read the comic. I think the first 25 minutes or so are the worse, because it tries to make it seem like the Elite go from heroes who just don't know any better who Superman coaches but they decide to become what they were, as opposed to Superman running into them when they were already the Authority-lite and killing. It just really tries to paint the Elite as rather sympathetic, which misses the point I think but I can see why they did it, it didn't seem as against the grain as JL Doom was in differing from Tower of Babel. After that it follows the comic rather closely, but there are a few changes, which I'll put in spoilers:
    Obviously, no Luthor as President and no Jack Ryder, but that's perfectly understandable.

The original way Superman finds out about the Elite is flying over to Libya and getting there too late and sees the aftermath of the Elite fixing the problem with massive casualties. Here Superman is stopping Bialya and Pokolistan (yay!) from going to war and the Elite show up to help out, seemingly wanting to get Supes' approval.

The scene in Japan where Superman is too injured to stop the Elite from brutally killing the villains is changed to be Pokolistan troopers, and from there Superman gets taken aboard the ship.

The biggest disappointment was that Manchester Black's defense of his casual racism by saying "I'm 1/16 Japanese" that was littered in the issue is gone, so when he makes fun of the Hat it seems like he just is a casual racist as opposed to a kid who's getting away with a technicality like it's the coolest thing.

Atomic Skull is there just to show a villain being captured only to escape and having to be put down after he kills more people. Basically pre-Elite and post-Elite public opinion.

They included Black's sister Vera in this, which seemed weird, almost like they might be planning to do a sequel with JLA #100 down the road?

They kept the scene with Clark on the farm, as well as the kids playing superheroes where the kid doesn't want to be Superman, both of which were scenes they needed to keep.

Superman, instead of fighting those Men in Black villains that leads to punching Manchester Black, stops Pokolistan jets from attacking a Bialyan city. Then the Elite show up and say they killed the leaders of both countries so everything's ok now, which causes Superman to punch.

The final fight scene works well, but for some reason they teleport back to Earth when Superman is in his fake evil mode, where it makes Superman seem even more reckless in destroying Metropolis. The out is that Superman had his superbots save everyone from what seemed like his random violence, but then again there's all this other damage that seemed unnecessary.

The animation was very nice, much better in motion. It's not the most detailed artwork, as it lacks detail, but it moves smoothly and the actual punching is animated well. It's no YJ but it looked better than JL: Doom.

So I think it is worth a look if you liked the issue it inspired, it's different but it's not different enough to really mess with the enjoyment of the movie because they keep the main plot points. I liked it better than All-Star Superman. It actually reminds me the most of the New Frontier movie for some reason.

TexiKen on
This discussion has been closed.