As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2012 BYOC - Group Seating Live!

• MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    Fleener wrote: »
    MOSFET wrote: »
    Does anyone have tips as to assure my computer gets to the room in one piece? I am driving to PAX less than a day's drive so shipment is not an issue.

One thing I'd highly suggest is to purchase a hand truck to put your computer, monitor, and bag on. You can find them on amazon for $30;

http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Ideal-Hand-Truck/dp/B001HBH1BM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1336096113&sr=8-7

Two years ago my buddy and I had to make 3 trips each from the waiting line to the car (which isn't terrible.. but it's a bit of a walk). This year we're both getting hand trucks to load everything on at the car and only make one trip. Also it'll be a lot easier to move to/in the line and easier when packing up and leaving on Sunday.

I'll consider it. I need a job first to make up for all the money I am spending for PAX this year. At least with the handcart I can pretend I am rushing towards platform 9 3/4 into a world of BYOC magic

• FleenerFleener Registered User regular
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    Great idea with the carts guys but what about people that fly in. Double trips for them I guess.

Well they do make smaller hand carts, usually referred to as luggage carts that fold down and can easily fit into a checked (somewhat big) suitcase on the plane. If you only have carry-on luggage I doubt you could fit one in that. Those would also work. Something like this;

http://www.amazon.com/Norris-230-155-Pound-Capacity-Multi-Purpose/dp/B0032FPIBG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1336120268&sr=8-6

Not as sturdy as the other hand trucks, but I'm sure it'll do the trick. You would just need to be a little more careful if you were walking from your hotel to the event (a few blocks away).

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Fleener wrote: »
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    Great idea with the carts guys but what about people that fly in. Double trips for them I guess.

Well they do make smaller hand carts, usually referred to as luggage carts that fold down and can easily fit into a checked (somewhat big) suitcase on the plane. If you only have carry-on luggage I doubt you could fit one in that. Those would also work. Something like this;

http://www.amazon.com/Norris-230-155-Pound-Capacity-Multi-Purpose/dp/B0032FPIBG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1336120268&sr=8-6

Not as sturdy as the other hand trucks, but I'm sure it'll do the trick. You would just need to be a little more careful if you were walking from your hotel to the event (a few blocks away).

I have the hand truck originally mentioned and I could probably fit it into a large duffel bag but it ended up being a real pain to keep everything on when starting and stopping (especially since my case doesn't have a solid bottom). If you can swing it, a cart would make things way easier.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    The small Magna hand trucks mentioned fold down flat and pretty compact. You also wouldn't check it or try to stick it in the overhead; gate check it like people do with strollers and such. Gate checked items are free and you get it back as soon as you get off the plane, effectively.

On a side note, Costco and Sam's usually carry those small Magna hand trucks for cheaper than Amazon and you could physically check it out first.

• alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    The MagnaCart hand trucks are awesome, I use one to carry my computer to BYOC every year. I have a full sized tower and a 21" widescreen monitor, and with a couple of towels and some bungee cords it's very sturdy and stable - and nothing's going to come apart until you're ready. All I do is set up the handtruck, put it down flat (i.e. not standing upright on its wheels), lay down a towel, then put my case on it and bungee that down. Next I stand it back up, wrap my monitor in another towel and put it screen-side towards the frame of the cart, and bungee that sucker securely in place as well. Then all I have left to do is toss my keyboard/mouse/gamepad/headphones/cables/etc into a messenger bag, and I'm good to go. Heck, the fully loaded cart even fits in my Subaru, so I can package it up before I leave the house. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    BigRed, I'm not sure if it's too early for this, but for those of us hoping to snag a BYOC badge when someone decides they don't want it and apply for a refund, will there be a waiting list, or should we just continue to camp the BYOC twitter feed for an announcement?

And for that matter, since we've bought our regular passes already, what would the mechanism be for adding a BYOC badge to that?

• BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    Where was BYOC held in 2011? That's to bad you can't get the room we got in 2010.

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Binny wrote: »
    Where was BYOC held in 2011? That's to bad you can't get the room we got in 2010.

The room we had in 2010 was a combination of 3 convention center rooms. The room in 2011, was the same room, sans 1 of those combined rooms. The room for 2012 is unknown at this moment.. but I would be surprised if it's much different from 2011.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    If you look here on page 6, BYOC was in 6C. For reference, 6E and everything south was expo, 6B was PCFP, 6A was CFP, 6D was Wolfman Theater and 602-4 CCFP.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • PrivateNewbiePrivateNewbie Registered User regular
    inb4 offsite unofficial pax lan.

• Wifout TeefWifout Teef Registered User regular
    This has probably been said a million times before, but I want to get my voice out because BYOC is such a big deal for me.

For the past 3 years, my family and I have done BYOC for PAX along with my best friends for 2 of the years. It made PAX one of the best and most magical times of the entire year. But this time we didn't even get a chance to buy BYOC tickets. Half of us didn't get any PAX tickets at all but that is understandable

But I have a hunch that the reason BYOC tickets went so fast is because a lot of people had no idea what they were signing up for. I have a feeling that BYOC will be rather "dead" compared to previous years because the people going are not of the same dedicated type as previous years. It would be nice if something was done to ensure the buyers of BYOC know exactly what it is. Maybe I'm completely wrong and BYOC will be just like every other year, but I just wanted to get my 2 cents out.

• GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This has probably been said a million times before, but I want to get my voice out because BYOC is such a big deal for me.

For the past 3 years, my family and I have done BYOC for PAX along with my best friends for 2 of the years. It made PAX one of the best and most magical times of the entire year. But this time we didn't even get a chance to buy BYOC tickets. Half of us didn't get any PAX tickets at all but that is understandable

But I have a hunch that the reason BYOC tickets went so fast is because a lot of people had no idea what they were signing up for. I have a feeling that BYOC will be rather "dead" compared to previous years because the people going are not of the same dedicated type as previous years. It would be nice if something was done to ensure the buyers of BYOC know exactly what it is. Maybe I'm completely wrong and BYOC will be just like every other year, but I just wanted to get my 2 cents out.

I don't speak for anyone else, but I sure as hell wouldn't spend an extra $35 on something without knowing what it was. This theory going around that people have bought BYOC tickets without knowing what BYOC is seems a bit silly. BYOC has always sold out at a much faster rate than PAX badges themselves. I imagine that if you look at the increased demand for PAX badges this year and the speed at which BYOC sold out last year, you'll come to the conclusion that BYOC selling out so quickly isn't because of anything but increased demand.

GeeCee on
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    GeeCee wrote: »

I don't speak for anyone else, but I sure as hell wouldn't spend an extra $35 on something without knowing what it was. This theory going around that people have bought BYOC tickets without knowing what BYOC is seems a bit silly. BYOC has always sold out at a much faster rate than PAX badges themselves. I imagine that if you look at the increased demand for PAX badges this year and the speed at which BYOC sold out last year, you'll come to the conclusion that BYOC selling out so quickly isn't because of anything but increased demand.

I don't think it's a silly notion at all. I wont go as far as speculating that "most" of the BYOC passes went to people that don't fully understand what BYOC is (though that is my hope, cause I still want to get my hands on one somehow, heh), but I'm quite sure a moderate chunk did. I wouldn't even be surprised if several of the scalped 3-day passes on ebay were BYOC inclusive, but we'll never know for sure about that one.

I think the best way you could ensure that only those who are actually interested in participating in BYOC get the BYOC passes would be to only open BYOC registration a month or so after main registration, and have the only announcements of BYOC reg be in the [PRIME] or [EAST] BYOC thread and @prime_BYOC / @east_BYOC. Also, only accounts that had valid registration for all 3 days (either one 3-day pass, or three distinct 1-day passes, not just 3 saturdays) could access BYOC registration.

Yuritau on
  • dieseldog49dieseldog49 Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if there will be a Case Mod contest at the BYOC this year?

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if there will be a Case Mod contest at the BYOC this year?

Maybe? We don't know yet. Planing for stuff like that is starting around the end of the month.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • dieseldog49dieseldog49 Registered User regular
    Ah, well either way I am going to have to track down a ticket to BYOC plus I need to grab some for saturday since I missed out on the 3 days by minutes.

• japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    Bump...

With the uncertainty of BYOC badges going to folks who plan to show up, I'm working on a group of people who plan to LAN. You don't need to stay there the whole time, but its geared towards people who plan on being in BYOC ~50% or more.

If you or your group is interested in doing more LANing at BYOC post your interest, or send me a PM

I'll add you to this list!
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/22980847#Comment_22980847

Red can we get this stickied maybe?

7jIDTca.png
    I disagree about raising the price -- PAX is about inclusion, and while I'm not in this situation, I know many people who have a hard time getting enough money to pay for the current costs of PAX+BYOC.

but getting 500 seats would be nice. Also figuring out an alternative to BYOC being the $35/weekend 'stash your stuff spot' would also be good.

7jIDTca.png
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Count me in on the LAN. I already have TF2, LoL, Minecraft, MNC (and soon SMNC); what else should I install? (I have Ventrilo already, too.)

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    So, I'm thinking about trying out Minecraft, but I know very little about it. Is this something that I can play with others at BYOC?

Also, Diablo III. 'Nuff said.

Additionally, with the changes to groups and such in WoW, it might be feasible to have group runs or raids for those who are still playing WoW. If there is interest, maybe a time could be scheduled and a faction picked? :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    alegria wrote: »
    So, I'm thinking about trying out Minecraft, but I know very little about it. Is this something that I can play with others at BYOC?

If you play on a multiplayer server that other BYOCers play on, yes. Also I think for at least one BYOC there was a BYOC minecraft server.

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    What kind of setup do you think it would take to have a hardcore multiplayer minecraft server? Something with permadeath for the weekend. Are there mods out for that type of gameplay? Is there interest in doing some kind of last man standing, team deathmatch, or scavenger hunt?

7B14287.png
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    Minecraft would be pretty cool to do imo. Permanent death in multiplayer on hardcore mode is standard.

The main requirements for a Minecraft server are really bandwidth and memory.

• devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    Last year they had a creative mode server, and a creative mode contest. I expect they will do something similar again this year.

• BMFXBMFX Registered User regular
    So leave it to me to be late to the game this year for a PAX pass. So that leaves the question - how do i go about buying a pass from someone who has already ordered one and doesn't need it.
    I know in past years PAX has refused to allow people list them for over orginal price - but i don't see any as of such yet. So has it been banned this year? Am i better off creeping around the dark corners of ebay / craigslist?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Penny Arcade Forums » Categories » Forum Communities » PAX | The Penny Arcade Expo! » [PRIME] There will be NO PAX or BYOC Pass Selling Or Buying on this forum. Period

If you're going to buy a badge, and if it's not from someone you trust, your best bet is to do the exchange at PAX so that we can verify it is legit.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    I guess to clarify the LAN list, I'm talking about people who'd like to actually lan vs 'store their stuff'. With any hope we can get 50 or so people in 2 or 3 tables so we don't have to run around the room to find people who want to participate in various games.

7jIDTca.png
  • bLankLOLbLankLOL Registered User regular
    So I have a BYOC ticket I no longer need. I emailed the PAX email a few weeks ago and have got no reply. What can I do with it?

You can give it to a friend once you get it in the mail or sell it (although not on these forums)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    bLankLOL wrote: »
    So I have a BYOC ticket I no longer need. I emailed the PAX email a few weeks ago and have got no reply. What can I do with it?

You could also try emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com again. They may have lost the email somehow. It appears to be happening more regularly this year.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Not to jump into the BYOC thread uninvited, but apparently there are some tickets available again per Official PAX:
    (FWIW, the link just goes to the registration site, I suppose you'll need to log in and edit your registration accordingly.)
    Also this information is only accurate as of one minute ago :P.

Edit: Clarificaiton, the Link in the *tweet* goes to the registration site. the link in this *post* goes to the tweet.

tsrblke on
    Yes that is correct. We moved location and have a larger space now and were able to offer some more seats.

Id get them fast though if you are intrested!

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    BYOC Pass acquired! And very excited that after two years of showing up to BYOC with a company "sponsored" (borrowed) PC, I'm finally bringing my own hand-built rig this year, with a core built around the i7 I won in BYOC last year. :)

shdwcaster on
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    Yes that is correct. We moved location and have a larger space now and were able to offer some more seats.

Id get them fast though if you are intrested!

Hmmm, moving, interesting (I just kinda figured there were some refunds that got released.)
    Any word on where y'all will be this year? I need to know so I can find my forum badge.

• The_CyberchristThe_Cyberchrist Registered User regular
    Good to hear we're getting more space

There is no blackness in this world which has not its mirror image in my soul.
  • geoffleegeofflee Registered User regular
    Acquired! I love you, BigRed!

• ToastedTriggerToastedTrigger Registered User regular
    I have attended BYOC for a couple years now, and I remember that one year we were able to use the mic that was available to be used by the BYOC attendees so that they could announce games that other people might want to play with them(happened in the evening). I remember that worked out fairly well in past years ( '09 or '10 (been so long)) and I was wondering if we would be able to do it again for this year? I know you guys do announcements for some games already, but when you want to play a game when events are not occurring, trying to find people who are interested in the same game(off-spot-light-type-games for example) is hard sometimes.

I have attended BYOC for a couple years now, and I remember that one year we were able to use the mic that was available to be used by the BYOC attendees so that they could announce games that other people might want to play with them(happened in the evening). I remember that worked out fairly well in past years ( '09 or '10 (been so long)) and I was wondering if we would be able to do it again for this year? I know you guys do announcements for some games already, but when you want to play a game when events are not occurring, trying to find people who are interested in the same game(off-spot-light-type-games for example) is hard sometimes.

We should have something available on the intranet page for people looking to get games together.

Having tons of people coming up and using the mic was a big complaint in those years and we started reducing it last year.

• ToastedTriggerToastedTrigger Registered User regular
    That sounds fantastic to have stuff on the intranet page. I didn't hear about the complaint side of the mic before so i thought it would work again. Thanks for a good alternative though.

• kabutodudekabutodude Registered User regular
    I snagged one of the 2nd batch of BYOC tickets. Is it okay to just to bring my laptop? And is it safe to leave a laptop there? Obviously it would be hard for someone to walk out with a full tower, but a laptop is a lot easier to quickly grab.

This discussion has been closed.