As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] seal

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2012
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Now is the time to get Dragons Age + Expansion & Dragons Age II for $12 on amazon

Pretty awesome deal
    I already own Dragon age 1 + expansions and paid 3 times that much just a few months ago.

Gonna buy DA2 for 5 dollars though; that seems like a pretty solid deal.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    When I render images in Maya my cpu gets hot apparently

I read it as 78 celsius now. I wish that I had measured these things before I replaced my thermal paste with car-mechanic grade copper paste, so that I had something to compare with.
    78°C is super hot. o.o;;

Is it though?

I think I've read it can stay around that temp for quite some time before it turns into a problem.

PSN: Honkalot
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    tumblr_m61vjiVKwc1qclhzgo1_500.jpg

This gets in the way a lot here ^

Like, even if people are right, they're too concerned with that rather than actual discussion.

I don't have a snappy cartoon to make my point, or lack thereof, for me but you know what actually happens a hell of a lot more around here? The completely fucking absurd whine-fests from about how D&D is an "echo chamber" and that the rightous few martyrs to the truth (eg: spool) are being opresses by the heathen.

abloo a fucking blooo

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    For reference idling in bios was around 50 C with stock cooling and everything original.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ok i asked this in the middle of the night but i'll do it again now that people are here: do any of you use productivity apps or reminder apps or to-do programs or note taking or whatever and find them useful? i've been trying to mess with a few (including evernote, clear, etc.) but i can't shake the feeling that i'm basically jerking my dick. it doesn't feel meaningfully different from just writing shit in the Reminders app or in an e sticky note

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Like, even if people are right, they're too concerned with that rather than actual discussion.

I don't have a snappy cartoon to make my point, or lack thereof, for me but you know what actually happens a hell of a lot more around here? The completely fucking absurd whine-fests from about how D&D is an "echo chamber" and that the rightous few martyrs to the truth (eg: spool) are being opresses by the heathen.

abloo a fucking blooo

O_o

this is no way addresses what I was talking about

but it does make a slant rhyme to my point I guess

Lh96QHG.png
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    ok i asked this in the middle of the night but i'll do it again now that people are here: do any of you use productivity apps or reminder apps or to-do programs or note taking or whatever and find them useful? i've been trying to mess with a few (including evernote, clear, etc.) but i can't shake the feeling that i'm basically jerking my dick. it doesn't feel meaningfully different from just writing shit in the Reminders app or in an e sticky note

just jerking your dick has never been a problem in the past, why is it an issue now?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Reminders App is a really good "to do" tool. It's getting better in Mountain Lion WRT having access to it on your desktop as well, and device-specific to-do lists.

To make serious use of some of the more advanced principles of GTD, you need to read up on how to do it. GTD is something that actually works for a large number of ADHD addled people, and programs like Evernote, ToDo, and such are really good about setting up the containers appropriately.

Without a study in how to make proper use of the flags, containers, task structuring, and whatnot... you are better off just using a standard checklist.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

I read it as 78 celsius now. I wish that I had measured these things before I replaced my thermal paste with car-mechanic grade copper paste, so that I had something to compare with.
    78°C is super hot. o.o;;

Is it though?

I think I've read it can stay around that temp for quite some time before it turns into a problem.

My CPU's temp is 30 Celsius. Your computer's heat would worry me.

Cinders on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    God damn it, Stargate.

You know why you failed?

You can't help but introduce an ANCIENT ROBOT RACE WHOSE ONLY GOAL IS THE ERADICATION OF OTHER LIFE

Thanks, Daleks, for giving SciFi this trope.

Lh96QHG.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

78°C is super hot. o.o;;

Is it though?

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

abloo a fucking blooo

O_o

this is no way addresses what I was talking about

but it does make a slant rhyme to my point I guess

haha

919UOwT.png

78°C is super hot. o.o;;

Is it though?

Doing what though?

Mine is around 30 C idling, some games carry it to 60-65 C.

syndalis wrote: »

Reminders App is a really good "to do" tool. It's getting better in Mountain Lion WRT having access to it on your desktop as well, and device-specific to-do lists.

To make serious use of some of the more advanced principles of GTD, you need to read up on how to do it. GTD is something that actually works for a large number of ADHD addled people, and programs like Evernote, ToDo, and such are really good about setting up the containers appropriately.

Without a study in how to make proper use of the flags, containers, task structuring, and whatnot... you are better off just using a standard checklist.

hmmm, i guess.

i think i feel like the overwhelmingly common problem is people just don't want to do unpleasant things. and it feels like restructuring and ordering and prioritizing stuff doesn't change the fact that when you get to item 1 (or 10 or 100) on the list, you still have to write the 8 page paper or prepare the expense report.

it feels like it is trying to solve a problem that i don't really have.

i basically just use the reminders app

does well enough for me and the geofencing is clean

919UOwT.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

I use the notes thing in iOS or textedit on OS X to make lists of shit, and move them around as the big stuff get done. For real note taking, it's pencil and paper all the way. I've tried to be more computery in this area because I love excuses to play with toys but nothing as ever gone past the dick-jerking level for me, ESPECIALLY when I'm trying to take notes in engineering or math classes. There simply exists no decent alternative to hand-written notes, interspersed freely with diagrams, equations, and pictures of dicks. Computers can do the same stuff and make it look prettier, but they can never do it as quickly or easily, and that's essential in a fast-moving class where you're trying to pay more attention to the lecture than your note-taking process.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

78°C is super hot. o.o;;

Is it though?

Doing what though?

For most things, it usually hangs in the 30s. I'd run Metro to see how hot is after playing for a bit, but I'm busy right now.

I use the notes thing in iOS or textedit on OS X to make lists of shit, and move them around as the big stuff get done. For real note taking, it's pencil and paper all the way. I've tried to be more computery in this area because I love excuses to play with toys but nothing as ever gone past the dick-jerking level for me, ESPECIALLY when I'm trying to take notes in engineering or math classes. There simply exists no decent alternative to hand-written notes, interspersed freely with diagrams, equations, and pictures of dicks. Computers can do the same stuff and make it look prettier, but they can never do it as quickly or easily, and that's essential in a fast-moving class where you're trying to pay more attention to the lecture than your note-taking process.

my strategy in classes was always hand-written notes in those black-and-white splotchy cover composition books on on power point "notes" printouts or 2-to-a-page .pdf printouts (depending on the class), then make outlines in word or somesuch to study with for the exam

always worked well, never failed me

straight up taking notes in class on a computer was always a disaster. there's always some diagram you have to draw that isn't a practical thing to do on a computer.

919UOwT.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    78 degrees celsius is hot, to be sure, but during load, especially cpu intensive work like rendering in Maya, a cpu will get hot.

I think 80 degrees is the red line, which you're right on the cusp of, so I'd look into an aftermarket cooling solution if you haven't.

I have an i7 that barely breaks 50 degrees at load. I put a Hyper 212+ on it. That heat sink is amazing.

yeah i am not planning to take notes with a computer (especially in math/science courses). i was more talking about outside of class, in the process of studying and time management.

Plus the Hyper is cheap, like 20-30 bucks for a great heat sink.

78°C is super hot. o.o;;

Is it though?

Doing what though?

For most things, it usually hangs in the 30s. I'd run Metro to see how hot is after playing for a bit, but I'm busy right now.

Ok, well I've been googling this before but there's not much progress to be made. Some people thing above 60 is too hot and some others cite Intel saying that you should keep it below 70 for longer periods of time but that it can take 80 for brief periods.

Most likely I will know when it explodes.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Pour water on it, Honk. That usually cools me off

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    For outlining papers or organizing research, I usually just make a big word document that slowly morphs into the thing that I am trying to create. The model works well for short undergrad work but started to fall apart at the graduate level. For my thesis, I had to adapt a little, changing to a LATEX document for each chapter and folders of supporting material. A couple text documents of notes outlining things. For equations, I'd work them out on paper, then enter them into the computer all at once and fit them in the paper as-needed.

I guess I've never felt like working on a computer was so burdensome that I needed a magic organization application for my ideas.

Nova_C wrote: »
    78 degrees celsius is hot, to be sure, but during load, especially cpu intensive work like rendering in Maya, a cpu will get hot.

I think 80 degrees is the red line, which you're right on the cusp of, so I'd look into an aftermarket cooling solution if you haven't.

I have an i7 that barely breaks 50 degrees at load. I put a Hyper 212+ on it. That heat sink is amazing.

I have the stock on, so I should look in to that actually.

At this point I wouldn't feel confident doing renders that take a lot of time if it lingers around that temperature.

I guess I've never felt like working on a computer was so burdensome that I needed a magic organization application for my ideas.

yeah this is sort of the conclusion i'm coming to

TehSpectre wrote: »
    Pour water on it, Honk. That usually cools me off

I told it to think about grandma naked but it didn't help. : S

hmmm, i guess.

i think i feel like the overwhelmingly common problem is people just don't want to do unpleasant things. and it feels like restructuring and ordering and prioritizing stuff doesn't change the fact that when you get to item 1 (or 10 or 100) on the list, you still have to write the 8 page paper or prepare the expense report.

when you're overwhelmed prioritizing can be useful to help you get your arms around what it is you have to do

in other words

in real life, outside of the classroom, not every assignment is a "must do"

things have varying levels of importance

for instance, my job is basically one big balancing act of this kind of stuff

some stuff is super important and needs your attention (the 60-tab 1000-line-per-tab excel model i've built in the last 72 hours, for instance), other stuff does not matter as much and can slide down the list (stupid administrative paperwork stuff i have to do)

additionally, if i made no lists it would be very, very easy to forget things (forgetting that a cell was hardcoded for debugging purposes in my excel model for example could cost our client a million dollars or more, for real)

919UOwT.png
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    When members of the KKK get together and talk about club business, they call it, no shit, a "klonversation."

How the hell do they take themselves seriously?

78°C is super hot. o.o;;

Is it though?

Doing what though?

Ok, well I've been googling this before but there's not much progress to be made. Some people thing above 60 is too hot and some others cite Intel saying that you should keep it below 70 for longer periods of time but that it can take 80 for brief periods.

Most likely I will know when it explodes.

70 is reasonably safe but lifespan-shortening. 80+ is substantial lifespan shortening. 100 is will break in a few minutes. Unless you have some kind of bleeding edge overclocked beast, properly functioning heatsink+moving air cooling will get you in the 50s and 60s under load and keep you there. If you're higher, something is wrong and you should just figure out what it is and fix it.

When members of the KKK get together and talk about club business, they call it, no shit, a "klonversation."

i klan't think of a better word for it tbh
    klan you?

919UOwT.png
    Gooey wrote: »

i klan't think of a better word for it tbh
    klan you?

I'm mostly curious about the dark origins of the klondike bar.

gooey that sounds reasonable. i guess that since school will be 'do everything', and not a sliding scale of procrastination... even with a part time job i probably won't have enough tasks for me to be the target audience

maybe i should make my life more busy so i can feel like these apps are helping me

does anyone need their house re-grouted, or for me to door-to-door canvas for abortion

Okay I found the hyper 212 on my web store of choice, it's like 40 bucks. That is really cheap.

gooey that sounds reasonable. i guess that since school will be 'do everything', and not a sliding scale of procrastination... even with a part time job i probably won't have enough tasks for me to be the target audience

maybe i should make my life more busy so i can feel like these apps are helping me

does anyone need their house re-grouted, or for me to door-to-door canvas for abortion

if you aren't working every waking hour you're a drain on society chu

919UOwT.png
    Do volunteer work, Chu.

One cool detail about Stargate Universe is that the Destiny has that pyramid, which looks a bit like a Goa'uld mothership.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Okay I found the hyper 212 on my web store of choice, it's like 40 bucks. That is really cheap.

I believe it comes with a little tube of thermal paste. Make sure that you apply the paste in a very thin layer on the cpu, covering the whole top of the processor itself. It only needs to be paper thin. Also, that stuff stains skin like whoa. :P

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

hmmm, i guess.

when you're overwhelmed prioritizing can be useful to help you get your arms around what it is you have to do

in other words

in real life, outside of the classroom, not every assignment is a "must do"

things have varying levels of importance

for instance, my job is basically one big balancing act of this kind of stuff

some stuff is super important and needs your attention (the 60-tab 1000-line-per-tab excel model i've built in the last 72 hours, for instance), other stuff does not matter as much and can slide down the list (stupid administrative paperwork stuff i have to do)

additionally, if i made no lists it would be very, very easy to forget things (forgetting that a cell was hardcoded for debugging purposes in my excel model for example could cost our client a million dollars or more, for real)
    This. My job is similarly terrible and I'm always stressed, so making lists is super important.

My boss encourages everyone to apply two values to every task: important and immediate. Things that are both important and have to be done immediate go on top of the list, things that are not important and don't have to be done immediately are potential tasks to give to colleagues. Everything in between has to be prioritized based on what value you apply to it, with speed normally taking precedence over importance.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    God damn it, Stargate.

You know why you failed?

You can't help but introduce an ANCIENT ROBOT RACE WHOSE ONLY GOAL IS THE ERADICATION OF OTHER LIFE

Thanks, Daleks, for giving SciFi this trope.

Daleks aren't robots, you nerd!

This discussion has been closed.