As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bitching Thread VI] A Brand New Day (for bitching)

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    stokoe and ramos are the natural evolution of liefeld

love him or hate him, liefeld brought a fun energy to them 90's comics

stokoe, ramos, and the like are just that dynamism with a fundamental knowledge of how shit should work.

That relies on the conceit that Liefeld is that only artist that used exaggerated anatomy, or dynamism, though.

Stokoe, as well as the artists he surrounds himself with, were clearly more influenced by manga, graffiti, and independent comics of the eighties.

I've never heard Ramos speak about his influences, but it seems pretty obviously manga-inspired as well.

I actually don't hate Liefeld's art, but let's not pretend anything that isn't done in the style of Curt Swan or George Perez, evolved from Rob Liefeld.

That said, I actually think you could make the case for Liefeld (and many other artists that came up in that era), being influenced by the same stuff Stokoe was, but in a different way. Stokoe may have read something like Appleseed, and been taken with the weird sci-fi stuff, round shapes, humorous asides, and so on, while Liefeld liked the big, nonsense sci-fi guns, pouches, and layered clothing.

Munch on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    i'm not saying that liefeld wasn't influenced by all that. nor would I say that he was a direct influence on stokoe and ramos. and I certainly wouldn't say all art was boring before rob.

i'm saying in mainstream, american comics, no one was doing what rob was. he broke in and legitimized that dynamic art style for a mass audience. because of liefeld, crazier art styles were given a sort of symbolic thumbs up. so, when I say it's a natural evolution, I mean since liefeld already showed us some crazy shit and we were okay with it, naturally we'd want more and crazier, but also of a better quality. and i'm pretty sure there were steps in between too.

7656367.jpg
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I'd characterize Liefeld's style as something that did that. In the end, his style isn't actually very stylized beyond the men are huge and the women are tiny. That kind of thing has existed in comics in some form or another for a while, though his style definitely took the driver's seat in the 90s when the so-called Image Style took over. I mean, the thing about the style is that it IS meant to be realistic, but the kind of realistic where everything is extreme and huge.

Guys like Ramos and Stokoe come from very different ends stylistically. Ramos is much more coming from the manga end of things, which is actually pretty common for a lot of Central American artists. I'm not sure I'd even say that kind of dynamic art is more accepted by a wide audience due to Liefeld. I'd go a step back and, if I absolutely had to, pin that on Miller's art for really opening things up to what mass audiences accepted.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    i'm saying in mainstream, american comics, no one was doing what rob was. he broke in and legitimized that dynamic art style for a mass audience. because of liefeld, crazier art styles were given a sort of symbolic thumbs up. so, when I say it's a natural evolution, I mean since liefeld already showed us some crazy shit and we were okay with it, naturally we'd want more and crazier, but also of a better quality. and i'm pretty sure there were steps in between too.

See, I'd argue that Stokoe isn't in the mainstream, though. He's off on the fringes, along with the people who initially inspired him. And again, Liefeld was hardly a trailblazer in terms of dynamic art; you had guys like Mike Parobeck and Phil Foglio getting work at DC, years before Liefeld. Not to mention dudes like Bill Sienkiewicz, who blew people's minds on New Mutants, four years before Liefeld's debut on Hawk and Dove.

I don't think Liefeld really brought anything to mainstream comics, that wouldn't have been brought there by Art Adams, Jim Lee, or Marc Silverstri.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Phil Foglio drew for DC? Whaaa?

Angel and the Ape, as well as Stanley and His Monster.

He also wrote a Plastic Man series.

Man, I had no idea Foglio did some DC work.

Learn something new every day.

osasbutton.png
    You know, I kind of want a Modern Masters: Rob Liefeld book, now.

I've read quite a few interviews with him, but nothing that's ever really examined his process, influences, etc.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The more I hear about DC the more I'm sure they have no clue what they're doing. According to Perez Nolan, Snyder & producers from Man of Steel are interfering with the Superman comics. WTF? o_O

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=62834

• VermisVermis Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »

Would that require him to be

y'know

a master?

rulksig.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Vermis wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »

Would that require him to be

y'know

a master?

He transcended mere mastery with the Capt America cover.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »
    oh my god

oh my god

oh my god oh my god oh my god that is incredible
    presidential battlesuits

How does someone so awful stumble across an idea so perfect?

On the subject of power armor wielding Presidents.

I desperately, desperately want either a Metal Wolf Chaos import or a comic similar to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8

Suck-my-missile-punch Presidential power armor action with Air Force 1 launching from a secret hanger under the tidal basin as he fights an evil Vice President holding hostages on the Statue of Liberty sipping his tea climaxing in a space duel and surfs back to earth from an exploding moon base.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I just read the last Ex Machina hardcover, and the ending has left me a bit...let down. I mean, the final villain fight was good and all, but the last few pages just really seemed to turn things around.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Holy shitballs

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    well

they get points for being creative

maybe

7656367.jpg
    Points for creativity are completely negated by...well, every single other thing.

Holy god.

osasbutton.png
    why

just, why

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Jesus. Really?

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    I don't like people.

I'm not viewing this because I don't want nightmares.

It won't give you nightmares.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I know some it would.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    h

holy shit

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    It's such a pity DC had to soil the pure dignity of Watchmen.

That's the fans job.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    It's such a pity DC had to soil the pure dignity of Watchmen.

That's the fans job.

*slow clap*

I would like to mention how Marvel Zombies: Destroy, continues to label Blazing Skull as Flaming Skull. I've only been following it in preview pages after the first issue, where he's labeled Blazing Skull, but all the recap pages since then label Mark as Flaming Skull. He's never gone by Flaming Skull. Even Marvel's own wiki bio doesn't have it as an alias. They even call him Blazing Skull in the actual issues, from what you can see of preview pages. It's like, come on bra. You don't label Steve Rogers Sergeant America, right?

TexiKen on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    AvX #7:

Alright, Black Panther bitch slapping Tony Stark was awesome. But seeing Tony bitch about using magic to save the world, just weeks/months after he used magic to save the world in Fear Itself? Seems wrong, especially since this was a Fraction issue.

Also - where are the Fantastic Four in all of this? I've always seen the Four as being on the same level as the Avengers and X-men, and would like to see them occupying some sort of middle ground in this war. They are high enough profile that it bugs me when they get forgotten during events, like Siege.

whenever the f4 isn't around

just assume they're having another space adventure

7656367.jpg
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Hasn't Franklin Richards been connected to the Phoenix at some point or other? I thought there was a storyline between him and Rachel. He does eventually become the equivalent of a Phoenix, maybe even more powerful. Not to mention that he's a mutant.

Frankly, I think they should take all the kids an put them into one school together. That way, you'd have the 'Avengers' clique, the 'X-Men' clique, and the 'FF' clique.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Days of Future Present, yeah future Franklin and Rachel were in love and stuff.

I kind of think Reed and Sue would be on the X-Men's side in all this, some kind of 11th hour plot twist aside.

It won't give you nightmares.

Why do I get the sense this is a blatant lie?

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    AvX #7:

Alright, Black Panther bitch slapping Tony Stark was awesome. But seeing Tony bitch about using magic to save the world, just weeks/months after he used magic to save the world in Fear Itself? Seems wrong, especially since this was a Fraction issue.

Also - where are the Fantastic Four in all of this? I've always seen the Four as being on the same level as the Avengers and X-men, and would like to see them occupying some sort of middle ground in this war. They are high enough profile that it bugs me when they get forgotten during events, like Siege.

Tony was making a joke, not bitching
    He was just hoping he could solve things with good ol' science

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Good grief, I am tired of the inane discourse on Scans_Daily.

A sampling of the nonsense these people are spewing:
    Two questions:

Why is Scott and Emma glowie? And am I the only one who finds this incredibly stupid?
    Really? X men are the villains now? Just because of the Avengers movie I'm betting. I'm officially dropping Marvel. I'm so tired of this company.
    now the x-men will NEVER be anything other than villains... why BOTHER with the Age of Heroes if they were going to do this. This is why i prefer DC....

Yeah, it's pretty awful

scans_daily people don't read comics do they?

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Good grief, I am tired of the inane discourse on Scans_Daily.

A sampling of the nonsense these people are spewing:
    Two questions:

Why is Scott and Emma glowie? And am I the only one who finds this incredibly stupid?
    Really? X men are the villains now? Just because of the Avengers movie I'm betting. I'm officially dropping Marvel. I'm so tired of this company.
    now the x-men will NEVER be anything other than villains... why BOTHER with the Age of Heroes if they were going to do this. This is why i prefer DC....

Yeah, it's pretty awful

scans_daily people don't read comics do they?

They read fanmade comics about Cass Cain

And everything else is just something to misinterpret or mock

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Scans_daily people literally do not actually read comics. They exclusively read preview scans.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I thought they raged any time an ass shot of a woman was done yet swooned and made long threads about Dick Graysons butt any time it shows up?

edited July 2012
    Not necessarily. I remember them admiring the way Oliver Coipel drew Sif naked in The Mighty Thor.

Centipede Damascus on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    They seem to be opposed to gratuitous cheesecake, with an unreasonably wide definition of gratuitous, which is unfortunately matched by the big two's unreasonably wide definition of a good time for cheesecake.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    They seem to be opposed to gratuitous cheesecake, with an unreasonably wide definition of gratuitous, which is unfortunately matched by the big two's unreasonably wide definition of a good time for cheesecake.

Ironically they seem to love Frank Cho's art.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Well Cho can actually do realistic if not exactly probable (i.e. the people with the genetics to ever look that good with only diet and exercise are probably one in a thousand) bodies, so She-Hulk looks unreasonably hot but also properly muscled like a real human being (green skin and hair aside). As opposed to fucking Escher Girl, with the power of pipecleaner spine, and Giant Side Of Beef Man, with the internalized antibiotics and muscle mass of a thousand dead cows.

Shadowen on
This discussion has been closed.