As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hero Academy] Now on Steam with the TF2 Team! (PA League now actually works!)

• Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Just read that. Very cool! I hope all the teams I bought already transfer over to the Steam version as opposed to two separate platforms. Probably won't be so lucky though.

My guess is you will since they said you can use the TF2 on iOS once you buy it on Steam. This means the accounts are linked and there'd be no reason (other than them being greedy) for you to not have your iOS teams. I don't think they'd be so silly as to disenfranchise their market.

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Hero Academy coming to Steam? Team Fortress 2 based team? Hero Academy items in TF2? Cats and dogs living together?

Just read that. Very cool! I hope all the teams I bought already transfer over to the Steam version as opposed to two separate platforms. Probably won't be so lucky though.

Edit: Teaser video is live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcCUDsMdpYc

Edit2: From the video description:

"The game launches on PC with two unique teams included, each with a variety of playable units. More heroic teams, avatars and add-ons are available via in-game purchase. Teams purchased in either the iOS or the Steam version of Hero Academy will work on all platforms."

Already purchased teams transfer and cross-over play with iPod/PC?! Robot Entertainment, you win this day sirs!

Sorry, had some ninja edits that got skipped. But yeah, this friggin' owns. I will give RE all my monies if they keep up the support of HA.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Yeah, this can only be a good thing for the longevity of the game.

• Options
    So now we all have to theory out how the TF2 team will play. Since I see all 9 guys there, I'm gonna assume they are all playable. Let's assume that the team will share item counts with the other teams (28 items/units each). Any thoughts on items, unit types, and so forth? I'm thinking hats will definitely be their helmet/armor equivalent upgrade. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Thinking out loud...

9 x units just to get one of each
    2 x potion type thing
    2 x scroll type thing
    3 x runemetal type thing
    3 x hats
    3 x armor
    2 x special item
    That's 24 items already, 4 to go

It doesn't seem viable to have just one healer unit, so either you make the Medic be the unit that you have more than one of... or you make one of the other 8 units act as a healer function. Engineer? Maybe have the Engineer be able to place healing stations on the board? That way maybe you could just have one of each unit?

But then that would be 9 units vs Council/Elf/Dwarf 13, or Tribe's 14. Hmm...

• Options
    I was thinking something similar. Maybe 5 doubles of units and 4 "super" style units that aren't completely OP.

Scout x2 (1 range, 3 move)
    Soldier x2 (2 range, 2 move, 20% def)
    Medic x2 (1 range/2 range heal, 2 move, 10% mag, mag dmg)
    Demo x2 (3 range splash, 2 move)
    Sniper x2 (3 range, 2 move, mag dmg)
    Spy x1 (1 range, 3 move) *low hp/cloak
    Engineer x1 (1 range, 2 move, 10% mag) *build fragile turret/healer dispenser
    Pyro x1 (2 range splash, 2 move)
    Heavy x1 (2 range, 2 move, 10% def/10% mag) *high hp

That would be 14 units in total putting them in line with the other teams. Obviously, the types could flip-flop around (Heavy x2, Demo x1) for varied compositions.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I like your unit count guesses. It's really tough to imagine how they're going to design the Spy to stay in line with the TF2 concept, though. I tossed around some ideas a few weeks ago around stealthy units or information denial/misdirection abilities, but most of my ideas fell apart because of the player's ability to hit an undo button, e.g., you have unlimited tries to spot check everywhere in range to find a cloaked Spy.

No idea what you'd do for a team-wide special trait.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I like your unit count guesses. It's really tough to imagine how they're going to design the Spy to stay in line with the TF2 concept, though. I tossed around some ideas a few weeks ago around stealthy units or information denial/misdirection abilities, but most of my ideas fell apart because of the player's ability to hit an undo button, e.g., you have unlimited tries to spot check everywhere in range to find a cloaked Spy.

No idea what you'd do for a team-wide special trait.

Yeah, Spy could be really tough. How about something like the Spy can create 2 clones of himself and place them next to his current location. The player can assign the real Spy to any of the 3 units. The clones all appear/act like the normal Spy except they can't attack. Attacking with the Spy cancels the clones and allows the Spy to create new ones. Also when the Spy or Clone Spy is KO'd if he isn't stomped he automatically gets up on his own with like 100 hp.

To OP/UP? Impracticable to balance? Just brainstorming here.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Oooh, what if you made the Spy be the special ability, rather than an actual unit? That'd help with the unit count issues, and would let you do more Spy-like things with him.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I haven't actually played as any of the races besides Council, but I assume they all follow the basic idea of "click your unit once to select it, click somewhere else once to do the action." Whether that's move, attack, heal, etc depends on what unit you have and what you target. Simplicity is the idea.

@MNCDover, your Spy idea is cool, but I don't see how it could clone itself without changing that interface, which I'm doubting they'll do (assuming they haven't yet).

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Oooh, what if you made the Spy be the special ability, rather than an actual unit? That'd help with the unit count issues, and would let you do more Spy-like things with him.

That could be fun. Have the Spy spawn as a different unit only to reveal his true nature when he attacks.
    kime wrote: »
    I haven't actually played as any of the races besides Council, but I assume they all follow the basic idea of "click your unit once to select it, click somewhere else once to do the action." Whether that's move, attack, heal, etc depends on what unit you have and what you target. Simplicity is the idea.

@MNCDover, your Spy idea is cool, but I don't see how it could clone itself without changing that interface, which I'm doubting they'll do (assuming they haven't yet).

That's a good point Kime. Hmmm.....

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Golf153Golf153 Registered User regular

That could be fun. Have the Spy spawn as a different unit only to reveal his true nature when he attacks.
    kime wrote: »

That's a good point Kime. Hmmm.....

The only thing really missing with the ideas above is the attack. If he counts as a "super" then he should have a 1-hit kill (backstab) if he is behind an enemy unit. Combine that with the spawn as a different unit principle and boom my new favorite unit.

Another concept would be that the Spy is the scroll! Spy (Scroll) a unit, he becomes the spy, does 175% or 3X damage if behind a unit. After turn unit returns to normal.

And yet another concept is that the Spy is the special item. Click on Spy (in your hand) to select, click on enemy unit, high damage dealt equal to other special item attacks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Hey I was thinking, we should do a 1v1 "live match" and post the results (via a link) in this thread. The idea would be that two PA people plan a date and time to sit at their iOS devices to play a complete game. The goal would be to get the game done quickly (like 30 minutes -1 hour) with each player taking a screen shot of their board after they finish their turn. While waiting for your opponent, you could jot down notes discussing what/why you did what you did on your turn. Help see how other players think or agree with your tactics/strats.

After the game is over, both players would submit the pictures as a zip file to myself (or anyone else who'd like to host) and they'd get uploaded in order with the comments included. Finally, a link to the site would be dropped into the thread for everyone to enjoy.

So, anyone wanna give this a shot? I'll volunteer to be one player if no one wants to be a beta subject. I'm not expert at uploading blog style stuff (this would be image intensive) but could look into it. If someone else would like to head that off, I'd gladly accept the help.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I like that idea, but doubt I can commit to help

Steam profile
  • Options
    DesertChickenDesertChicken Registered User regular
    What if the Spy was the Drop-able Attack Item? Instant Backstab.

PSN/XBLA/SteamID- DesertChicken
    LoL - Renon DeSaxous
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Ever have one of those moves that is so pimp, you just know you've made the highlight reel? I had one of those just now. Moved a weapon upgraded Chieftain into position in front of my middle crystal a turn prior and baited an Axe Thrower to attack my Axe Thrower. Opponent took the bait so I Typhoon'd his Chieftain off his attack tile, moved onto it, ate meat, and swirl attacked 6 units to death (including 2 Shamans!).

Of course, the fucker spawns his third Shaman, heals all his units, and uses his meat enhanced Witch to KO my Chieftain. I was so angry until I noticed that I was about to follow a pimp ass play with another one....
    IMG_0014.png

IMG_0015.png

I can neither confirm nor deny if my opponent has burst a blood vessel or not. :D

Edit: I felt it was an appropriate time to use one of my 66 taunts.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Well, I wasn't able to update the ratings, and now I'm going to be on vacation until he 24th. I'll do a big update when I return. I'll try to keep up with my games, but I can't promise anything.

Also, TF2 team?

Well played, Robot Entertainment. Well played... :)

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    has anyone not been able to connect to the servers for the past couple of days. I have a few games to play but it's not getting past authentication for me.

• Options
    has anyone not been able to connect to the servers for the past couple of days. I have a few games to play but it's not getting past authentication for me.

Nope, no problems here. Been playing fine all weekend and today. :/

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    greebzillagreebzilla Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I'd like to !join the League, @Jacoby! My Hero Academy name is Greeb.

ps. MNC Dover, I may be able to help you with your idea but need to get a video dongle for my iPad first (I have a game capture device that can record stuff if that's easier)

greebzilla on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    greebzilla wrote: »
    I'd like to !join the League, @Jacoby! My Hero Academy name is Greeb.

ps. MNC Dover, I may be able to help you with your idea but need to get a video dongle for my iPad first (I have a game capture device that can record stuff if that's easier)

OK, that would be cool. Can't the iPad do the screenshot thing like the iPod touch and iPhone? I just learned how to do it myself via this thread: press the home and power buttons at the same time.

Edit: Oh I see what you're saying. A video would probably be better and I'd happily edit it if you sent it to me.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    So what's the etiquette on this league? I work odd hours, but typically log in a few times per day, although I'll sometimes go a day or two without. In a league I could dedicate myself a bit more, but the hours I play wouldn't match up with most of you. How many turns are expected per day? I might be interested.

• Options
    Some forumers play more often, some less, and for many it varies. I have fewer active games than I used to due to life being busy and me being antsy for new game content, but I expect I'll be back to having a full date card when the TF2 patch comes.

Your playing habits seem right in line with the norm, so come on in!

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, @Tommatt. You'll be faster than I've been recently :(

Steam profile
  • Options
    Hey, where's the ego-boosting for my sweet 6-hit KO pic I posted above? I can't live without needless praise! :)

And yes Tommatt, you totally would fit in fine with everyone. Or you could just play against people without worrying about league stuff.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Hey, where's the ego-boosting for my sweet 6-hit KO pic I posted above? I can't live without needless praise! :)

Oh yeah! That was awesome. The first move was great, but your followup was fantastic.

Steam profile
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular

And yes Tommatt, you totally would fit in fine with everyone. Or you could just play against people without worrying about league stuff.

Yeah, that's definitely awesome, well done! I'm always satisfied when I can knock down a handful of units, but I don't think I've ever managed anything quite like that!

!Result for @Jacoby: @schmads defeated @Golf153. Good game!

As a side note, I wish that there was some sort of replay capability with this game! I just don't keep up with screenshots, and even then, they don't really convey everything that goes on during a turn.

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Got this game a week ago, and god damn. Best game I ever played on a mobile platform, by a long long way.

I've spent some time with all the teams, though, and I feel like I'm really missing something with the elves. They feel significantly weaker than the other teams to me, for two reasons - lack of viable AoE, and the wraith. Seems like the other teams can all change the game immediately with either immediately after their hero unit hits the field, or with some crazy AoE spell that does double the damage of any of the Elves single target spells.

It's mostly the wraith, though. I cringe when I get one i my starter hand :( Please help me be a better elf! I love their mechanics but don't do so well with them compared to the other races.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    It may be hard to dig up, but I did a writeup on wraith strategy a while back in the thread that might help. The community on the official forums have also been working on guides for each team; when I find myself back at a real computer I'll have to link to them.

• Options
    I've become to have a love obsession with Void Monks. Get them a Helmet and Soulstone and they become extremely hard to kill. 960 hp/40% magic resist/20% physical resist. On top of that, they heal on hit, do splash damage, and have 3 movement.

Seriously, give that VM set-up a go. Careful use of Soulharvest and Potions can get their hp over 1000 making them extremely sick.

As for the Wraith, I've won a ton of games just by sacrificing units for him to eat. Once he eats two people, I typically give him upgrades. I fully charged Wraith with an attack upgrade does 600 magical damage, enough to two-shot almost every unit in the game.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Yea, I am going to start browsing the RE Hero Academy forums to read up on each team more. I want to get better because I find myself loving the game after a long break and then realizing I am horrible.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Yea, I am going to start browsing the RE Hero Academy forums to read up on each team more. I want to get better because I find myself loving the game after a long break and then realizing I am horrible.

Why go to those forums when you have a perfectly fine set of PA people that can answer any questions you have? :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Some forumers play more often, some less, and for many it varies. I have fewer active games than I used to due to life being busy and me being antsy for new game content, but I expect I'll be back to having a full date card when the TF2 patch comes.

Your playing habits seem right in line with the norm, so come on in!

In that case I'll look into the league when I get back from camping

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »

Why go to those forums when you have a perfectly fine set of PA people that can answer any questions you have? :)

I just want something that I can sit and read through at my own pace. If I asked questions, I would take up the next 1,000 pages. After I read through the guides, I will 100% bug the shit out of everyone in here. :)

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    Hey so my iPhone is not waterproof it turns out...
    I'm not sure how I'm going to be playing for a while. Just a heads up to all you folks waiting for a turn from me :(
    I'll keep you posted if this changes. Steam is an option now, right?

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Ugh, Brew, that's rough.. I've been there. My play has taken a SERIOUS drop since i dropped my phone (it was bareback because I'm hardcore :() and it felt jelly side down and shattered the glass.. I've been thinking of trying a glass swap, not sure if I wanna pay $100 since I'm gonna be upgrading to the new iPhone later this year, so I've just been patient.. been using my iPad when I can pry it away from my girlfriend (we agreed to share it..)

Anyway, I'm gonna try and get my turns in and maybe get some league games in soon. Wish I could quit coming to this thread to say how I plan to play more, but meh..

• Options
    Brew wrote: »
    Hey so my iPhone is not waterproof it turns out...
    I'm not sure how I'm going to be playing for a while. Just a heads up to all you folks waiting for a turn from me :(
    I'll keep you posted if this changes. Steam is an option now, right?

Ouch, that sucks; I've had some close calls with my own phone. Did you try the bag of rice trick? Or is it too damaged for that to have any hope?

(Steam version of the game isn't until until next month, btw)

• Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    @Brew dang - Funny story - I had my iPhone slip out of my hoody pocket while
    urinating.. seriously it fell right in the toilet

pulled it out and let it dry - i think I unscrewed and partially took it apart - anyways after keeping the power off for a couple days it actually works fine (iPhone4 2 yrs old)..

GL

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    This is going to sound like bragging, but I've won my last like 15+ games and have over 100 taunts now. :shock:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Sorry league opponents - I've been dealing with that super-awesome old friend Undisclosed Water Damage In My Newly-Bought House™, and so my turnaround of turns has been underwhelming. I have four games outstanding that I will make sure to visit tonight during my "drinking something with gin and wondering how it will all get fixed" pre-sleep phase. :D

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!