As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Nah I am betting it ties into the Hulk and the Agents of SMASH by Jeff Parker rumors

notice the SHIELD logo on the robot

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Banner is the helmet

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    They saved Banner's Brain!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Nah I am betting it ties into the Hulk and the Agents of SMASH by Jeff Parker rumors

notice the SHIELD logo on the robot

I did not notice that logo!

• Options
    Solar and I have been talking about it on Facebook and we are trying to puzzle out what books are gonna be coming

since we have at least 20, our list so far is:

Confirmed:
    Uncanny Avengers by Remender and Cassaday
    Avengers by Hickman and Opena
    All-New X-Men by Bendis and Immonen

Very Likely:
    Guardians of the Galaxy by Bendis
    Captain America by Remender
    Nova by Bendis or(god no) Loeb

Rumored:
    Hulk: Agents of SMASH by Jeff Parker
    Iron Man by Gillen and Land
    Fantastic Four by Fraction and Larroca

and then based off the teaser image I am willing to be we will have:
    Nick Fury(or SHIELD)
    and either a Cable solo series of X-Force as led by Cable

which, like, half of the possible books

this shit is gonna be nuts

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Also given what happened at the end of The Fearless and that Sue Storm is on the promo

possibly some sort of Lady Liberators style book

and maybe, just maybe, something Iron Fist related from Hickman

Solar on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Don't forget Punisher: War Zone

• Options
    That's true but I am wondering if it is part of the NOW event since it had its own teaser which features the old Iron Man helmet

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Larroca on Fantastic Four? I thought they just added Ryan Stegman to that?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Hulk, Iron Man, and FF all seem more viable than Remender writing Cap, but that's just me.

It would be nice if these books magically turned into $3, it would definitely allow me to try out some more. So far the only one that is a day one buy is Hickman's Avengers. All New X-Men (starring the old X-Men) doesn't seem like it has any meaningful legs to go beyond maybe 12 issues, which is a big thing with time travel books.
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Stegman is going to be drawing FF this month or next, so he might get an arc in before it becomes the FF's turn for a Gordon Ramsay relaunch.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    See Remender talking about how Uncanny is driven by Cap's desire to help mutants really makes me thing A) He has been thinking about the character a lot and B ) He clearly gets Steve

which make me think he's on Captain America like the rumors suggest

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Is it weird that this new Uncanny Avengers title makes me think of this?

bXrXb.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2012
    That CyclopsRay outfit is so boss.

See, why does Scott still have the stupid hood on his head? He even has the belt of pouches again! Let the hair flow again.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Old Man Impulse is sexually threatening.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hulk, Iron Man, and FF all seem more viable than Remender writing Cap, but that's just me.

It would be nice if these books magically turned into $3, it would definitely allow me to try out some more. So far the only one that is a day one buy is Hickman's Avengers. All New X-Men (starring the old X-Men) doesn't seem like it has any meaningful legs to go beyond maybe 12 issues, which is a big thing with time travel books.

Stegman is going to be drawing FF this month or next, so he might get an arc in before it becomes the FF's turn for a Gordon Ramsay relaunch.

I think at some point the "books aren't $3 anymore!" complaint gets a little tired

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I have to wonder, if Marvel's doing this whole relaunch thing, why launch stuff like Dark Avengers, Gambit, Hawkeye, and X-Treme X-Men, just a few months earlier? Why not push those back until October?

It seems like a big, line-wide push would be the best time to get people interested in hard sells. It seems to have worked for a few DC titles, which have sold better than I ever expected.

On the other hand, I could see it being a case where they're hoping to avoid cannibalizing their own sales too much, by spreading out some of their smaller launches.

• Options

I think at some point the "books aren't $3 anymore!" complaint gets a little tired

I can't see anything wrong with giving us $3 first issues or arcs for the relaunch instead of a bunch of point ones later down the road. Get them while you can now to stick around for an arc instead of trying to win them over with an issue that may or may not be done by the series creative team.

• Options
    I think a lot of the Marvel NOW relaunches are going to hinge off of what happens in Avengers vs X-Men. Hawkeye and Gambit seem to be focused on situations a bit removed from the big crossover stuff going on, at least at first, and it's possible they want to let them breathe before tying them in with a big event about changing things up.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    man, Wolverine is going to be so awkward around an eighteen year old Jean

I can almost imagine an issue of WatXM where she visits the school

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    It'll certainly be fun to see how she reacts to the Jean Grey School, that's for sure.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Iceman will meet Iceman, realize he's pretty much the same, and go play video games with himself.

edit: Altho now I wonder if he'll be more snowman than iceman like he was originally

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I hope elder Beast calls out his younger self for constantly showing off his vocabulary.

panel_17.jpg

It's like he was speaking through a thesaurus.

• Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Nova clearly has a habit of trapping his fingers in doors

also I'm sorry but I can't look at Nick Fury Jr and just find the whole thing ridiculous

the fact that he isn't really that black he was burned black by an explosion

yeah, that didn't happen. he was black before the explosion, dude.

Yeah, the explosion only burned off his hair and gave him a goatee. Comeon, get your facts straight dude.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i have the tiniest understanding of what is going on with the avengers and xmen and all that, but I am really, really happy that Remender is hitting the big time.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Iceman will meet Iceman, realize he's pretty much the same, and go play video games with himself.

edit: Altho now I wonder if he'll be more snowman than iceman like he was originally

No, Iceman is going to have a really unpleasant revelation when he meets Iceman

because then he will see that actually, for all his showboating, he was never anything more than a second stringer. All his friends went and did stuff. They were important. But he was theoretically one of the most powerful X-Men ever, and he is barely considered worth anyone's time.

Given that young Iceman is convinced that he is the shit, seeing that actually, he wasn't at all, that should hit quite hard.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular

because then he will see that actually, for all his showboating, he was never anything more than a second stringer. All his friends went and did stuff. They were important. But he was theoretically one of the most powerful X-Men ever, and he is barely considered worth anyone's time.

Given that young Iceman is convinced that he is the shit, seeing that actually, he wasn't at all, that should hit quite hard.

I did like how Uncanny X-Force showed how powerful Iceman could be. It is always fun to see alternate universe depiction of a character who has taken their power set and expanded it.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »

I did like how Uncanny X-Force showed how powerful Iceman could be. It is always fun to see alternate universe depiction of a character who has taken their power set and expanded it.

maybe if he just started freezing peoples' blood like I always wondered why he didn't, people would take him more seriously, also more grimly, possibly more darkly.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Yeah because so many people have started reading comics after the saw the Avengers

come on, dude

the numbers hardly shifted at all

people who wanted to read comics already read comics before they saw that movie

Actually, I started buying comics because of the Avengers.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    AvX #7 isn't as good as #6, but it's better than the other issue by far. For a non-Hickman issue, it really showed a fair representation of both sides, and really makes Cyclops and Iron Man the standout players so far, as you can empathize with them the most:
    Cyclops is shown to be the one with the most restraint of the five, genuinely wanting to just help first. Emma is macking on Namor again behind Scott's back, Namor doesn't want to listen to Scott try and be ruler. Emma even burned Hawkeye alive, but they're going to fix him up (so Wanda kills him twice, Emma only once.) Basically Emma and Namor are going to screw everything up now.

They might vbe making Emma bad to sync up with the movies, like they're doing with the Avengers, same with Namor.

They show Wanda being crazy but the Avengers still act like there's nothing wrong, Cap is a real jerk in the issue though, and Black Panther gets some good moments being mister science magic guy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Fraction can write fantastic characterization when he wants to.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I still think that the Schism should've been between Cyclops and Iceman, not Cyclops and Wolverine.

They're both founding members, so they both have equal claims to the legacy, and Bobby's age makes him an ideal leader for a mutant youth movement capable of challenging the old guard.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So we have Bendis and Kubert next issue.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    AvX #7 isn't as good as #6, but it's better than the other issue by far. For a non-Hickman issue, it really showed a fair representation of both sides, and really makes Cyclops and Iron Man the standout players so far, as you can empathize with them the most:
    Cyclops is shown to be the one with the most restraint of the five, genuinely wanting to just help first. Emma is macking on Namor again behind Scott's back, Namor doesn't want to listen to Scott try and be ruler. Emma even burned Hawkeye alive, but they're going to fix him up (so Wanda kills him twice, Emma only once.) Basically Emma and Namor are going to screw everything up now.

They might vbe making Emma bad to sync up with the movies, like they're doing with the Avengers, same with Namor.

They show Wanda being crazy but the Avengers still act like there's nothing wrong, Cap is a real jerk in the issue though, and Black Panther gets some good moments being mister science magic guy.
    I didn't really see Wanda being shown as crazy. It seemed to me like she was just having to concentrate a ton to keep her powers doing what she wanted them to do. Distractions like Vision getting hit, threw her off.

The Phoenix really seems to just be amplifying their normal personality traits to a much greater degree. Cyclops seems to be even more analytical and composed, Colossus more stoic, Namor more brash and angry...

• Options

I didn't really see Wanda being shown as crazy. It seemed to me like she was just having to concentrate a ton to keep her powers doing what she wanted them to do. Distractions like Vision getting hit, threw her off.

The Phoenix really seems to just be amplifying their normal personality traits to a much greater degree. Cyclops seems to be even more analytical and composed, Colossus more stoic, Namor more brash and angry...
    Wanda shouldn't have this much power after Children's Crusade (Marvel made their fear bug doombot sex bed), and the way she's basically being like crazy Wanda in jigsawing Namor away and not being all there on the battlefield when the pressure is on, it would work for her to still be the crazy that is needed for the Avengers to have denial about their own members.

It seemed like she wasn't all there still (and she shouldn't be, you can't had wave that crap away), and looked kind of shaken up in the Avengers huddle where she has to be the one to keep going out there.

I do get a feeling Wanda's power (they'll just say her magic and mutation are the same thing at some point) will come from the chaos that is opposite of the Phoenix, since Tony mentioned they have similar readings.

One thing that hasn't been addressed yet, and I wonder if marvel recognizes this for the event:
    The X-Men have the Phoenix power now, why not jump start the mutant gene again? Shouldn't that have been the day one goal, specifically of Phoenix Cyclops? Nothing is stopping you now, clap on

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Solar and I have been talking about it on Facebook and we are trying to puzzle out what books are gonna be coming

Rumored:
    Iron Man by Gillen and Land

God no why do they keep pairing my favourite writer with Land?

Hell, why do they pair anyone with Land? I'd say stick Loeb & Land together on a title no one cares about but everything is someone's favourite and that's not fair to anyone.

Granted, I don't think Iron Man is necessarily the right title for it (not enough potential for cute emo girls) but seriously put Gillen and Jamie McKelvie back together on something.

• Options
    I still think that the Schism should've been between Cyclops and Iceman, not Cyclops and Wolverine.

They're both founding members, so they both have equal claims to the legacy, and Bobby's age makes him an ideal leader for a mutant youth movement capable of challenging the old guard.

I don't really see how this would work with the way Bobby's been portrayed for the last...decade or so. And Wolverine and Cyclops have a history that suits that kind of story perfectly, not to mention that Wolverine is a respected member of the team that many are likely to follow in an endeavor like opening up a school. Plus, "Wolverine and the X-Men" is a better way to sell books than "Iceman and the X-Men"

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I personally don't think that anything Wolverine had done prior to Schism suggested that he could be a headmaster either. If anything you'd have guessed that Emma, Beast, or Kitty Pryde would do it, and Wolverine would be the surly teacher who never shows up for class.

And yeah, putting his name on the cover probably helps, but it's not like the X-Men branding by itself has any trouble attracting readers.

As for Bobby, his past several years of stories have all been about him not living up to his potential. Who's to say that, by attempting to do so, he might not go too far?

Also, when Mastermind was dying and sent a bunch of X-Men into ideal fantasy worlds, Bobby's fantasy was to be leader of the X-Men:
    15.jpg

16.jpg

17-1.jpg

20-1.jpg

Nobody remembers that story, of course, so I'm not saying that it's proof that Bobby should be trying to lead his own team today. I just thought that it was interesting take on the character, and if they ever get tired of painting him as a slacker it'd be a good direction to take him.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    you are reading way too much into a story about iceman fantasizing about being a super hero rockstar that everybody loves and praises and respects endlessly. short of getting a high five from michael jordan and making out with the head cheerleader that was just every teenage boy's dream ever

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Fantasizing about leading a team that you actually belong to is different from fantasizing about leading a fictional team.

In any case, it doesn't really matter whether or not previous stories have laid the groundwork for him to be a leader. If the groundwork isn't there, then you can create it yourself with a story like Schism, which convinced us that Wolverine could start his own school even though there was nothing else to suggest he could

Ultimately, all that matters is whether or not an idea would make for a good story. If so, then you can probably find a way to make it work

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    to be fair, that's not so much him leading the x-men as it is him having a bunch of people who used to boas hin around as sidekicks who keep talking about how awesome he is.

this has zero bearing on the schism conversation as I, personally, wanted Nate Grey: Mutant Shaman to have a third, splintered group that gave him a handful of followers so while mommy and daddy fought, he'd be busy protecting the earth

what i'd want will never, ever happen

7656367.jpg
This discussion has been closed.