As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] 6th Edition Incoming. Hide your women and children!

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    But... vehicles still have 4+ cover saves if behind ruins. I don't see anything that's really changed in that regard.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Working on a Tzeentch daemon prince for my roomie;

scaled.php?server=442&filename=20120704033432.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=189&filename=20120704033510.jpg&res=landing

Just need some more GS on the wing joint and he'll be ready for paint.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    That is pretty boss dude. What are the head armour and torso pieces from?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I'm still irritated that the powers are randomly generated

Maybe I'll get something that actually benefits my army setup, maybe I won't, who knows

Ugh

This seems common. Maybe I've just made peace with it due to fantasy but I don't really have a problem. Most of the powers are pretty rad anyway.

My biggest annoyance is that Broodlords have BS0 so any witchfire powers rolled are worthless.

Also that I can't have my BA Librarian take a power from the BA list and a random roll to ensure baseline competency.

I honestly wouldn't swap the Broodlords powers. They're perfectly suited to his role as a combat beast. Ranged powers and support powers are wasted on him.

I really hope that in the new codex, he retains those as abilities instead of just gettting a psychic level.

Question guys - if a brood of Zoanthropes takes random powers instead of the ones they have standard, how does it work. Two powers for the brood and they can be used by only one of the Zoanthropes per turn, or two each and, well, have a motley assortment of powers that won't all be focused on what you're casting on that turn?
    * Overwatch is going to be game changing. Rapid firing units, especially those with special weapons, are going to make assaults much more deadly for the charger. Even hitting on 6s, if you're charging anything that can rapid fire/assault fire (FW, Tac squad, Ork Shootas, etc.) Overwatch is going to hurt you. Makes larger units more useful. Flamers and so on will make it even deadlier.

Depends what you're charging with, since at BS1, not many shots are going to land with any reliability. If it's a smaller squad like what Marines can muster, a loss is keenly felt. If it's a huge squad like a mob of Ork boyz or Hormagaunts, killing one or two before the mass of attacks land isn't going to make much difference unless you happen to roll significantly lucky to hit.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    That is pretty boss dude. What are the head armour and torso pieces from?

Chaos Daemon Prince, metal and plastic kits, respectively. The head is a cold one head, the legs from a hive tyrant.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Question guys - if a brood of Zoanthropes takes random powers instead of the ones they have standard, how does it work. Two powers for the brood and they can be used by only one of the Zoanthropes per turn, or two each and, well, have a motley assortment of powers that won't all be focused on what you're casting on that turn?

As far as I'm aware each Zoanthrope is a psyker in her own right, so each model in the brood gets to roll on the psychic tables.

• Options
    SteelJabberwockySteelJabberwocky Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So... 'rules as written' you can't use Grav Chute Insertion ever.

"If a Valkyrie or a Vendetta moved flat out, passengers may still disembark, but they must do so as follows..."

But you don't move flat out until Shooting phase now.

Edit: I suppose that could mean it opens a special window for disembarking in the shooting phase. But does that mean the disembarking squad gets a 6" move?

SteelJabberwocky on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    If you wreck a vehicle in your shooting phase, can the passengers assault in their assault phase if the vehicle had moved over 6"?

I just wrecked Spherick's raider with shooting but we didn't know if his unit that disembarked could then assault on his turn.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Sitting here are work, hoping to get let go early since it is dead. If that happens I can go get my first game of 6th in.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    In his turn? Yes.

If you shot it up and the disembarked due to the wreck on your turn, they are free to do as they wish on his turn.

That makes sense right? Since his turn starts a fresh...you know...turn?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Assuming they pass the pinning test when their vehicle gets blown up.
    -Loki- wrote: »
    * Overwatch is going to be game changing. Rapid firing units, especially those with special weapons, are going to make assaults much more deadly for the charger. Even hitting on 6s, if you're charging anything that can rapid fire/assault fire (FW, Tac squad, Ork Shootas, etc.) Overwatch is going to hurt you. Makes larger units more useful. Flamers and so on will make it even deadlier.

Depends what you're charging with, since at BS1, not many shots are going to land with any reliability. If it's a smaller squad like what Marines can muster, a loss is keenly felt. If it's a huge squad like a mob of Ork boyz or Hormagaunts, killing one or two before the mass of attacks land isn't going to make much difference unless you happen to roll significantly lucky to hit.
    True, really large squads are just going to eat whatever loss. Smaller, elite squads are going to have a harder time of it. In theory though, the unit they're charging also just rapid fired into them, so the larger squads might not be as large to start with. Basically, don't assault with something unless you can live through the Overwatch and need to be in combat (and have a decent chance of winning).

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    So... Do buildings (fortifications) get cover saves?

signature.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    So... 'rules as written' you can't use Grav Chute Insertion ever.
    Why not? Everything seems to work fine to my eye, they're just doing it in the shooting phase.

Also, no, they wouldn't get to move 6". Using grav chute insertion means they deploy as deepstrikers.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I'm afraid to use Scout Sentinels now, because I foresee them just getting boltered to death :(

• Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Finally finished my first Assault squad for my BA (minus the Sarges Jump pack which is just waiting to be glued on and the dual pistol shoulder pad but I seem to have misplaced my glue)
    7502208862_242e4a01dc_z.jpg

7502202808_162a7e255d_z.jpg

7502184340_ced83e95ce_z.jpg

7502190314_3298a46240_z.jpg

7502177574_b8230cbffa_z.jpg

7502171478_e112857c1d_z.jpg

7502164916_52ba2b1acd_z.jpg

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Sonic lance
    altmann wrote: »
    So... Do buildings (fortifications) get cover saves?

If they were obscured I don't see why not. Basically just immobile vehicles.

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Can flyers deep strike anymore or do they always have to enter from a table edge? Not sure about other army flyers but the doom scythe specifically has a deep strike special rule.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    If your vehicle is WRECKED, you can't assault in YOUR next assault phase. If it EXPLODES, you're free to do as you please.

Terrible ruling, like infiltrate/outflank rules.

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Flyers have to be in reserves, it doesn't matter what kind

• Options
    Also, mojo, very nice!

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    mr_mich wrote: »
    I'm afraid to use Scout Sentinels now, because I foresee them just getting boltered to death :(
    Don't have them be the only target standing in front of the tac squad? S4 weapons have not suddenly become some godly vehicle killer. If you want to _reliably_ kill vehicles, you still need to use penetrating weapons and while bolters are a little better at popping AV10, you're still hoping for 6s. They certainly weren't the awesome weapon for putting down raiders that I'd hoped they'd be.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    It's tougher to keep them away from bolters when bolters can move and shoot 24" now. 6's are still rare, but before people would have to glance and then roll decently on the table to really make me panic. Now it's just glance twice and they're scrap.

...I'm still bringing them. What I mostly lament is IG flame throwers, since they pretty much have to stand at the front of a unit and would be among the first to die.

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    I think that flamers have just been changed to be more of a defensive weapon... and I think I'm okay with that, on the whole. You don't have to land the template when firing on Overwatch, so you can just keep them in the back/middle of the pack.

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Nax wrote: »
    I think that flamers have just been changed to be more of a defensive weapon... and I think I'm okay with that, on the whole. You don't have to land the template when firing on Overwatch, so you can just keep them in the back/middle of the pack.

That is a really good point which I hadn't realised myself yet. Neat.

Not that you cant be aggressive with them: Flamers, and templates in general, are amazing against fortifications, as are nearly any kind of grenade.

Speaking of, a query: the grenade rules for assaulting buildings state that you can use grenades without a specified S value, and treat them as S1 when thrown through a fire point. What isn't clear is do they have their normal effect if they are "weird" in some way?
    Or, in other words, can I chuck my rad grenades into a building and irradiate a few jerks on top of the S1 hits?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Not unless it specifically says you can, no. So basically not until an FAQ emerges.

Also I can't wait to play against a 9 Flyers Necron list. Yay.

SJ on
  • Options
    At least necron fliers aren't AV12 all around.

Fuck Vendettas.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    So... wolf banners are ridiculous.

In close combat, you can allocate wounds as you see fit (to models in b2b). Wolf banners let you re-roll all 1s.

So spherick assaulted my grey hunters, I had used my banner. I allocated every single wound to my runepriest who has a 2+. Every one I rolled I re-rolled from the wolf banner.

no wounds taken from his entire squad. Only works if you have 2+ save and the model isn't challenged.

Also, RAW that you can re-roll 1s to hit and wound on your overwatch shots with wolf banner.

That thing was already good, now it's GODLY. 10pts.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    What a surprise space wolves are good

• Options
    It's too bad assault has been made a very precarious thing to do.

This is a shooting game now. Shooting you ALWAYS know if you're in range, you always know if you're gonna be out of range of the enemy etc.

Assaults are completely random now. Do I get 2d6? Am I going to survive the overwatch attacks to do enough damage?

signature.png
  • Options
    Also: will overwatch casualties cause me to fail this charge?

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Heh. I remember people complaining in 5th on how much of an assault game it was turning into.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Those people were dumb, then. Assault was already risky in 5th, but not in the 'good thing I wasted points on this assault unit that failed a charge and will now die horribly' kind of way.

• Options
    So you can really apply all wounds to one model like that? That seems wrong

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Unfortunately that's right. In fact page 25 specifically says that once a model has a wound allocated to it, you must continue to allocate Wounds to it until it's dead or the wound pool is empty. Which is fucking stupid because if you do it correctly you'll be allocating and saving every single wound, one at a time, if it's a one wound model.

SJ on
  • Options
    That sounds like it'll really bog things down.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    They tell you how to do it fast though, only works like that if you're definitely trying to off a rune priest. Supposed to group them into wound groups equal to the number of guys you're trying to kill - so if you've 20 wounds and 10 boyz to kill, take ten dice see who dies, say 4 - then take 6 and repeat until all the boyz are dead. Remaining wounds then got to the next type of target like the nob.

• Options
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    They tell you how to do it fast though, only works like that if you're definitely trying to off a rune priest. Supposed to group them into wound groups equal to the number of guys you're trying to kill - so if you've 20 wounds and 10 boyz to kill, take ten dice see who dies, say 4 - then take 6 and repeat until all the boyz are dead. Remaining wounds then got to the next type of target like the nob.

It's not that you're trying to off the Rune Priest... you're just trying to soak wounds away from the rest of the unit.. especially with a rerollable 2+ save like that. Also, you're not "supposed" to do it in groups like that... you just "can" do it in groups like that to speed up the process at times when it doesn't matter as much.

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Im thinking guard armor will remain strong. Armour is a bit easier to kill now, but with templates being full str against armour, and being able to focus fire, guard should be able to wreck things very quickly

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    If you have a unit with mixed saving throws you can only Look Out Sir before you save. p15 "Mixed Saves" takes precedence and there is no "unsaved wound allocation" step.

This means if you face that rune priest. PLASMA THE JERK RIGHT IN THE FACE! (and then watch them look out sir on 2+ and laugh).

Good catch on that p25 stuff SJ. I abused the crap out of that at the 5th/6th tournament.

karlthepagan on
  • Options
    Hmm...it appears that defensive grenades and Stealth stack, allowing +2 to cover saves. Trying to find a way to make this work with IG Vets.

This discussion has been closed.