As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40k] 6th Edition Incoming. Hide your women and children!

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »
    Those people were dumb, then. Assault was already risky in 5th,

Damn, where is that Tommy Lee Jones, 'I do believe you're full of shit,' image.

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

If you don't think that 5th edition was a shooty edition then you should just get out.

SJ on
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Can someone explain to me why Vendettas are regarded as being "even better" now?

I absolutely love the model and don't own a single one for some reason, but I'm not sure I get the appeal. Maybe they just don't fit with my playstyle?

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    celebrity-pictures-tommy-lee-jones-kill-paper.jpg
    Eh, close enough.

makosig.jpg
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why Vendettas are regarded as being "even better" now?

I absolutely love the model and don't own a single one for some reason, but I'm not sure I get the appeal. Maybe they just don't fit with my playstyle?

They are fliers so you need a 6 to hit them and really the only armies with AA are Guard?

Baby wore his Mantis Warriors t-shirt today
    76V9c.jpg

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    That shirt convey Stealth and Shrouded, because I'm not seeing anything. :lol:

If you don't think that 5th edition was a shooty edition then you should just get out.
    Buh? Your apparent failure to pay attention to an entire edition of the game is not my problem.

Or it could just be some sort of weird myopia problem you're having? Like, a blind spot for thunderwolves? You might want to see a doctor about that.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Vendettas are AV 12 flyers that have 3 twin linked lascannons, a transport capacity of 12, can hover, and they cost 130pts and you can have 3 in one fast attack slot. The only other flyer close to it is the stormraven and it's 200pts. Most other flyers are AV 10 or 11 and can't even hover or don't have transport capacities.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png

I think I fixed it.

re: shooty, yeah, 5th edition was the alpha-strike edition.

re: vendetta, yeah those are other reasons why they're totally ridiculous.

E26cO.jpg
    edited July 2012

Buh? Your apparent failure to pay attention to an entire edition of the game is not my problem.

Or it could just be some sort of weird myopia problem you're having? Like, a blind spot for thunderwolves? You might want to see a doctor about that.

If you think that a few token deathstar units made 5th edition an assault edition then there isn't really anything to say, because there's no possible way you have anything to contribute. And your example is shit; Thunderwolves (and lone wolves to a degree) were pretty much the exception to an otherwise ridiculously firepower-laden Space Wolves codex that happened to have some other melee stuff that really wasn't worth taking in comparison.

Also this video is awesome Clicky

SJ on
    I'm not saying that shooting was inconsequential - you kept seeing leafblower and vetspam for a reason, but SJ's statement about assault and 5th is pretty much 'pants on head.'

edited July 2012
    I'm not saying that shooting was inconsequential - you kept seeing leafblower and vetspam for a reason, but SJ's statement about assault and 5th is pretty much 'pants on head.'

Sorry, you're just wrong. And no one accused you of saying shooting was inconsequential. Assaults were risky in 5th edition specifically because of the existence of deathstar units like Thunderwolves. In fact it was so risky that lists tended to just go heavy on the firepower with a single token deathstar or tarpit as insurance.

SJ on
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Assault wasn't proper scary since 3rd Edition rhino rush and just continually rolling into fresh combats. Now that was a scary meta.

mr_mich on
    edited July 2012
    Eh, I'd say assault was scary again at the end of 4th edition due to the new ork codex and lash of submission specifically.

SJ on
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    The inability to consolidate into combats meant super expensive melee units always risked getting assed out after raping something. Nothing like eating 1800 pts of shooting after raping a 200pt unit.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    When being too good at your job is a death sentence something isn't right.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    So, you can snap shot psychic powers, thats pretty lulzy.

Anyways, thinking of this list now, to try out pretty heavy firepower. Fliers will destroy it, but barely anyone uses fliers around here yet. Idea is a firebase type deal with the CCS, tactical squad, and thunderfire cannon in a ruin, and the tanks just do their best to methodically take down the enemy.
    IG:

HQ: CCS w/ MoO, Lascannon, Vox caster = 105

Troops: Veterans w/ 3x Meltaguns
    *Chimera = 55
    Troops: Veterans w/ 3x Meltaguns
    *Chimera = 55

Heavy: 2x Leman Russ w/ Lascannon = 330
    Heavy: Leman Russ Demolisher w/ Lascannon = 180
    Heavy: Leman Russ Demolisher w/ Lascannon = 180

Total = 1105

Codex Space Marines:

HQ: Librarian(1 roll on biomancy, one roll on telepathy) = 100

Troops: 10x Tactical Squad w/ Missile launcher, Flamer, Powerfist = 195

Heavy: Thunderfire Cannon = 100

Total = 395

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    The biggest issue I'd see with that list is actually going forward and taking objectives. I don't trust that two chimeras of vets can do it, especially when they're the only mobile things in the list. It's all well and good to shoot the enemy to death, but you need to be able to get over to his side of the board more often than not too.

tzeentchling on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

It was pretty shooty, but most of it seemed to follow the rule of "AP2 or don't even fucking bother"

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Raslin check your PMs

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Unfortunately that's right. In fact page 25 specifically says that once a model has a wound allocated to it, you must continue to allocate Wounds to it until it's dead or the wound pool is empty. Which is fucking stupid because if you do it correctly you'll be allocating and saving every single wound, one at a time, if it's a one wound model.

HAHAHA. I...I don't...we used to do this in 3rd and 4th (because you could). It was a very long process that rewarded the absolute worst in shenanigans. The fellows I used to play with (since I no longer play 40k) would do this shit constantly in previous editions. It cracks me up that it's brought back. 5th had really good wound application. While it was still really silly, it was probably the best yet.

Anyone who thinks 6th wound allocation is a good system has got to be high. Yes 5th allowed shit like Paladins to be very difficult to kill... but 6th does the same fucking thing, and does it with more encumbrance. It's retarded.

Also, anyone here live near the Rockies, or in Norther Europe, that wouldn't mind having a house guest for a day or four? I'm planning on going travelling next week, don't know where yet. If anyone is comfortable with letting me couch surf for a bit and helping me get my bearings in their area, that'd greatly influence my decision on where to stay.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    mugginns wrote: »

You do realize that he has a point right?

While he is over exaggerating a little bit, his core point is still there. I actually pity him. Because my army was in a similar predicament. Due to the rules changes, it was rendered impotent unless the structure was changed dramatically. It was also a little confusing (by a little, I mean a lot).

What a gay.

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    So what exactly is a Master-Crafted weapon nowadays? I don't see the issue beyond "Oh, if it wasn't specifically addressed, then it's just a standard AP3 Power Weapon + other rules."

makosig.jpg
  • karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    So what's a relic blade then? Is it a swiss army knife+2 depending on how you model it? Nah I don't think so. FAQ that shit.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    mugginns wrote: »

Like he said, it's less a ragequit and more a sadpause.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    So what exactly is a Master-Crafted weapon nowadays? I don't see the issue beyond "Oh, if it wasn't specifically addressed, then it's just a standard AP3 Power Weapon + other rules."

"Weapons with the Master-Crafted special rule allow the bearer to reroll one failed to-hit roll per turn with that weapon." Pg. 39, BRB.

Edit: The issue with Sang Guard is that their weapons didn't get an FAQ, and so no one knows if they're treated as axes or swords or what, since they don't fit neatly into the new weapon categories (box comes with both axes and swords, they're two-handed which BRB weapons are not, etc)

Salvation122 on
    For some reason people are still recommending parking lots as top-tier competitive lists for 6th. I... really?

I'm going to laugh my ass off when Stelek shows up to NOVA with sixteen vehicles and gets blown to shit turn one by two Russes and a Basilisk.

edited July 2012
    A whole lot of Dark Eldar weapons didn't get FAQ'd either but it was still pretty easy to figure out what they're supposed to be. Rule of thumb is that if it isn't addressed as anything in particular, it's just a standard AP3 Power Weapon. Even the book calls them power weapons.

I'm going to have to look at the rules again, but I distinctly remember seeing that generic power weapons were power swords, statwise.

EDIT: As far as I can tell, Master-Crafted would pretty much count it as an unusual power weapon. Strictly speaking, glaives aren't listed as one of the four standard, so yet it's another reason to treat it as an unusual power weapon. Definitely not a halberd nor a lance.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    How do you beat this, in 6th?
    No Name (2000pts)
    0pt Imperial Guard 5th Ed (2009) Roster (Standard)

Selections:

* HQ (190pts)

* Company Command Squad (120pts) 
            Autocannon, Master of Ordnance, Officer of the Fleet
            * Company Commander
                Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol

* Primaris Psyker (70pts) 

* Troops (1060pts)

* Infantry Platoon (440pts) 
            * Infantry Squad
                Autocannon, Plasma Gun
                * Sergeant
            * Infantry Squad
                Autocannon, Plasma Gun
                * Sergeant
            * Infantry Squad
                Autocannon, Plasma Gun
                * Sergeant
            * Infantry Squad
                Autocannon, Plasma Gun
                * Sergeant
            * Infantry Squad
                Autocannon, Plasma Gun
                * Sergeant
            * Platoon Command Squad
                Autocannon, Flamer, Plasma Gun
                * Platoon Commander
                    Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Melta Bombs

* Infantry Platoon (440pts) 
            * Infantry Squad
                Autocannon, Plasma Gun
                * Sergeant
            * Infantry Squad
                Autocannon, Plasma Gun
                * Sergeant
            * Infantry Squad
                Autocannon, Plasma Gun
                * Sergeant
            * Infantry Squad
                Autocannon, Plasma Gun
                * Sergeant
            * Infantry Squad
                Autocannon, Plasma Gun
                * Sergeant
            * Platoon Command Squad
                Autocannon, Flamer, Plasma Gun
                * Platoon Commander
                    Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Melta Bombs

* Veteran Squad (90pts) 
            2x Flamer, 6x Lasgun, Meltagun
            * Veteran Sergeant

* Veteran Squad (90pts) 
            2x Flamer, 6x Lasgun, Meltagun
            * Veteran Sergeant

* Fast Attack (280pts)

* Vendetta Gunship Squadron (140pts) 
            * Vendetta
                2 Twin-linked Lascannons, Sponson Heavy Bolters

* Vendetta Gunship Squadron (140pts) 
            * Vendetta
                2 Twin-linked Lascannons, Sponson Heavy Bolters

* Heavy Support (470pts)

* Leman Russ Squadron (165pts) 
            * Leman Russ
                Extra Armour, Heavy Bolter

* Leman Russ Squadron (165pts) 
            * Leman Russ
                Extra Armour, Heavy Bolter

* Ordnance Battery (140pts) 
            * Basilisk
                Enclosed Crew Compartment, Heavy Bolter

Created with BattleScribe

That's 26 S7 AP4 and 26 S7 AP2 shots at 24", 52 S7 AP2 shots at 12", plus the armor and flyers. Unless the opponent has kindly positioned all his vehicles right out in the open on the foremost line of his deployment zone, you sacrifice T1 shooting to move up first turn, then dare him to move forward.

They're more than welcome to assault, wipe out a line squad, then get blown off the board. If they try to multiassault they'll probably die from overwatch.

Vendettas drop Vets on objectives after your gunline has cleared them, flamers deter assaulting them off the objective and the melta lets them Death or Glory someone trying to tankshock them off it.

Only costs about $750 to build. Grumble.

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Is master-crafted enough to treat it as unusual?

For some reason people are still recommending parking lots as top-tier competitive lists for 6th. I... really?

I'm going to laugh my ass off when Stelek shows up to NOVA with sixteen vehicles and gets blown to shit turn one by two Russes and a Basilisk.

A single fucking manticore laughs at god damn parking lots. Jesus. And you can take those in how many armies now? Fuck knows that if I keep playing I'm gonna ally some IG and use grot models for them so I can take a God-damn manticore in every list because holy shit.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I'm so happy that I have 3 russes now and there's pretty much no drawback to squadrons. That way I can still use slots for deathstrikes!

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    I'm so happy that I have 3 russes now and there's pretty much no drawback to squadrons. That way I can still use slots for deathstrikes!

Well, the drawback is that you still can't shoot them independently, and that dropping three battlecannons on a single non-Paladin/Nob Biker unit is pretty insane overkill.

I suppose master-crafted is a simple modifier, but the fact stands that glaives =/= halberds, and are pretty unusual compared to the standard 4 types. Should be enough to declare them as unusual until GW sorts it out. If ever.

makosig.jpg
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    That guy is an idiot. Is he incapable of playing a game if not spoon-fed "official" rules?

snm_sig.jpg
    Even the official rules tell you what to do if you can't figure out what your weapon is. Very clearly. Just make it an AP3 weapon if it's clearly not an axe, lance, sword, or maul.

makosig.jpg
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, what kind of an idiot expects to have the rules after spending almost $110?

e: also I'd like to rage for a bit about how fucking terrible Chaplains are now, because goddamn power mauls are awful

SJ on
    Morskittar wrote: »
    That guy is an idiot. Is he incapable of playing a game if not spoon-fed "official" rules?

"Remember how before you could just slap whatever looked awesome on your model and they all did the same thing? Yeah, we changed that. Now they all do different things. Have fun ripping arms off stuff you spent a lot of time painting!"
    "Well, that fucking blows. What do these weapons count as, then? I need to know whose arms to rip off."
    "I dunno, make some shit up."

This discussion has been closed.