As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

First time getting my head shaved: What to ask for...

carl_rogerscarl_rogers Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
May seem daft, but im going to get my hair shaved off at the barber (first time) and don't know what to ask for. Wen i used to have it short, i'd ask for a number 6 on top, blended to a 3 on the back and sides. What do i ask for if i want it shaved really short on top, but blended to even shorter on the back/sides?
I'm thinking of going short like david beckham. Anything i ask for in particular? Or should I just say "give me a beckham"?
like this...
_40060403_becks4.jpg

carl_rogers on

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    May seem daft, but im going to get my hair shaved off at the barber (first time) and don't know what to ask for. Wen i used to have it short, i'd ask for a number 6 on top, blended to a 3 on the back and sides. What do i ask for if i want it shaved really short on top, but blended to even shorter on the back/sides?
    I'm thinking of going short like david beckham. Anything i ask for in particular? Or should I just say "give me a beckham"?
    like this...
    _40060403_becks4.jpg
    If you can print that photo off, use it. Pictures are worth a thousand words and all that.

Looks about a 3-4 guard on top, with 2-3 on the sides.

If in doubt, ask for the higher numbers, it's a lot quicker and easier to get it trimmed shorter then it is to grow it back.

see317 on
  • LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
    I had my hair around that sort once, just ask for a 2 or 1 all around. If it's not short enough after that ask him to go shorted, it's his/her job to get your hair the way you want it... just make sure to tip well if you make him/her shorten it more than once. Also, that's not shaved, it's just really short. It almost reminds me of crew cut, google that and ask for that if you like it. Any barber worth his salt can whip out a crew cut in 10 minutes.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Agreeing on the 2 all over. I usually get a 1 all over and it's just a bit shorter than your picture.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Fades are dumb. Go for the same length all over. Try a #2 (1/4 inch) and if you want it shorter step down to a #1 (1/8 inch). Go to a barber shop not a chain like Supercuts so you can have them do the straight edge/ hot cream deal on your neck- it's great.

And welcome to the club. The Awesome People with Shaved Heads Club.

• AftyAfty Registered User regular
    Have you thought of buying yourself some clippers and doing it at home? It's not like you can do much wrong like with most hair styles.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Afty wrote: »
    Have you thought of buying yourself some clippers and doing it at home? It's not like you can do much wrong like with most hair styles.

Depends on the shape of your head and how limber your arms are. There's always a bit you miss and then suddenly you're in a calvin & Hobbes cartoon.

Just go to a barber and ask for a #2 cut. They usually charge less than for "real" haircuts for these and they only take a few minutes.

• MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Fades are dumb. Go for the same length all over. Try a #2 (1/4 inch) and if you want it shorter step down to a #1 (1/8 inch). Go to a barber shop not a chain like Supercuts so you can have them do the straight edge/ hot cream deal on your neck- it's great.

And welcome to the club. The Awesome People with Shaved Heads Club.

You don't seem to be a member of the shaved head club, rather a member of the trimmed head club. Also, why the hate for a good taper/fade?

MV5BMTIzMzk4NjQ2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzc3ODI4_V1_SY314_CR10214314_.jpg

midshipman.jpg
  • carl_rogerscarl_rogers Registered User regular
    Hey thanks for the help guys (and welcoming me to the club!).
    I went with See317s tip of bringing the photo in (even though i didn't want to). I asked what the numbers where and it was a 2 on top, and he faded it at the lower neck hairline to get rid of the fuzz. DOnt know why i was worried about asking for the wrong haircut, because seeing how it was done, there wasn't much which could go wrong. Consider this solved. The barber said i looked like Beckham, but im pretty sure he was taking the piss out of me :S