As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AusPAX 2013] - Margaret River, WA - Oct/Nov 2013

• WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Poor Butler. It must be hard to stay grounded when people house him in their skies

4SMZq.jpg
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Kincaid wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    BTW

@Butler @Tef @RocketScience @Kincaid @AJR @chrishallett83 @Pixelmonkey @noobert @BigKev @Anzekay @CuZZa

and other Perthites

on 27 July I'm having a joint birthday party with one of my friends at her house (it's a combination housewarming/bday for her and also a bday party for me!) and I have the go ahead to invite some weirdos to come along

so you guys are welcome, PM me if you're gonna be there, it'd be a cool way to meet new people and such :)

I will be there

As will Î.

Weeeeeeeeee

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    aw man now my flu has progressed to the point where everytime I lean over my forehead throbs like mad.

I had work tonight. Do. Not. Want.

• PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    nice one, Sam

(come to my birthday party)

Yep I'll be there.

So I have almost a perfect uni timetable this semester. 8-6 on tuesday, with a single two hour break, and a single class on wednesday at 4-6. I'm pretty happy with that.

I could made it worse, but I never get much from actually going to lectures so I didn't bother signing up for them. When I get can all of the lecture notes online, or use iLecture to listen to a recording, I honestly don't see the point in going in to campus 4 days a week just so I can attend every lecture.

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    The need to attend lectures really depends on the quality of your lecturer, I found. If they just go through the textbook with a powerpoint it is mega boring and you forget most of it anyway. But if they're interesting and really know their subject then you'll probably get something from it, especially some good tips for the exam.

Also young lecturers are boring and strict while old lecturers and interesting and helpful!

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    If I only have one or two lectures on a given day I just watch them online.

broken image link
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    When I was at uni none of my lectures were recorded so I'd usually try to go, but then all the lecturers were awful so I would usually last ten minutes before going to the bar next door for a scotch. I drank a lot more at uni

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Fuckin kids these days.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    depends on what you study and how you learn best

the lectures are generally pretty helpful in literature because you need to talk that shit out, it's not like engineering where you can get everything you need to know from a textbook

but i can never pay attention to lectures so i only get so much out of them

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hahaha.

You are kidding yourself if you think engineers just read books and that's it.

you have to build heaps of bridges as well, is my understanding

my little brother's doing it and i swear every second assignment is 'build a bridge with the following hilarious constraints'

like it has to be made of papier-mache and support the weight of an adult male gorilla

Well I have a total of 7 classes. 4 of them are either tutorials or labs, and all are at least 3 hours long. Then I have three 1 hour lectures, and they are all on different days (and then one of my tuts in on a different day alltogether). I have to drive 45 min to get to uni, or 1.5 hours by train. If I can cram all my stuff into two days by not going to any lectures, I think it's worth it even if I might miss out on something by not going there in person and just listening to them online.

Also one of my tuts is with the lecturer for that uni anyway, and he's this really cool, funny, old guy who surprised me last semester by being more fun than most of the young tutors I had for my other classes.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Guys I just fucked up. BIG TIME. :(

What did you do!

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Well I have a total of 7 classes. 4 of them are either tutorials or labs, and all are at least 3 hours long. Then I have three 1 hour lectures, and they are all on different days (and then one of my tuts in on a different day alltogether). I have to drive 45 min to get to uni, or 1.5 hours by train. If I can cram all my stuff into two days by not going to any lectures, I think it's worth it even if I might miss out on something by not going there in person and just listening to them online.

Also one of my tuts is with the lecturer for that uni anyway, and he's this really cool, funny, old guy who surprised me last semester by being more fun than most of the young tutors I had for my other classes.

As someone who spent eight years at uni to get four years' worth of accreditation, I would suggest going to the lectures as much as possible. You'll build a better rapport with the lecturer, first of all. Even if you only ask the occasional question they'll be more likely to help you out outside of class times if you're a familiar face. Secondly, and on a related note, your presence makes giving the lectures that much more pleasant for them. If you're a teacher with a class of forty people on paper, but only six or seven of them ever turn up... well, even if you know they're probably watching online, it's hard not to find that dispiriting. Every extra body in a seat will make the lecturer that much happier and that much more engaged. Thirdly, I found I absorbed more information from lectures I attended in person. The absence of a pause button and social pressure not to look at my phone or wander off and do something else forced me to pay much closer attention.

If the commute is a pain, you can at least try to make the journey worth your while. Spend time at uni before and after that day's lecture, hanging out with friends or just studying in the library. I mean, you've got to study anyway, right? Might as well do it in an environment with more resources and fewer distractions.

I know you've got to prioritise, and it isn't always worthwhile to get to every single lecture. That's why online recordings are such a boon, and we're lucky to be one of the first generations to have them. But they're there as a back-up for live lecture attendance, not a replacement, and I would advise not using them as such.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I don't think boring v exciting can really be filtered by lecturer age, believe me I had plenty of every combination.

And Butler is dead on, when you are committing the time/effort (and that looming bill) to uni you should make it count. I did some podcast viewing due to subject clashes, and while that was a godsend, I did suffer a bit in the subject I put less priority into.

• OdenOden Registered User regular
    you're paying $40K for your degree, go to class

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Everybody listen to Niall

What got me through Uni was I just treated it like a job. I turned up at 7 every morning and I was there until at least 4 every day Monday to Friday unless I had classes late in the evening.

It was great because I had a routine and it also meant I could be free most week nights and weekends to either work or get on the piss

Once you start doing shit like not attending lectures because you'll do it from home, you have to be bloody disciplined to actually do the work.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited July 2012
    Well, I guess the thing for me is that all of my coursework is assigments, projects or essays. I don't have exams, period. When a considerable portion of my work is media based stuff, I feel much more comfortable and are much more productive when I can do it at home with my own equipment, rather than at uni in one of the labs. My PC is much more powerful, and has everything I need on it already, as well as my extra screen. I have the room to go off and start building models and stuff, and if I need food or water I don't have to save my stuff, back it up, log off, pack up my things and climb down 7 flights of stairs to go get something- I can just hit save and walk out to the kitchen. That gives me very little incentive to stay on campus outside of class hours unless I am doing groupwork or hanging out with friends, and that doesn't always happen at times or on days that make it convenient to also go to lectures.

My course also stresses a good relationship with our tutors, rather than our lecturers. In fact, the only reason I have lectures right now is because these are the first year units that I have to take for my bastard of a custom course (hooray RPL) that are shared with people from a dozen other degrees. I'm likely to never have any class with that lecturer again. For the most part the tutors that I have for those units are the ones I will be wanting to seek the help of, rather than the lecturer. The rest of my units- the degree-specific ones- just don't have lectures. We're also talking about 1 hour lectures, compared to 3-4 hour tutorials or labs, so I still have a lot of contact with my tutors during those classes.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I totally understand what Niall and everyone else is trying to point out, but I've done the going-to-every lecture thing before and I just didn't find it as rewarding as I would've liked, and now that I am faced with the choice of being on campus 4 days a week, or 2 days a week (one day for just 2 hours), I find the latter to be a far better use of my time and money. I usually try to fit lectures into my timetables if I'm going to be on campus that day anyway, but this semester it just hasn't turned out that way.

Anzekay on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »

My mum cut the tip of her finger off and now we're hanging out in the emergency room.

Beat that!

• KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »

What happened? Do you require Internet hugs?

I have the tiniest violin.

The most contact hours (of lectures) I think was 22 hours of contact hours. Plus we were there most if the day anyway doing our assignments. (our record I believe was 15 assignments in a week!)

Final year I I think I was doing fifty hours weeks plus another thirty working a job.

And I was a lazy student.

edited July 2012
    Pretty sure I spent about 140 hours over two and a half weeks working on a single assignment for one of my units during my very first semester at uni.

That was quite something, I thought.

Anzekay on
    Well, I guess the thing for me is that all of my coursework is assigments, projects or essays. I don't have exams, period. When a considerable portion of my work is media based stuff, I feel much more comfortable and are much more productive when I can do it at home with my own equipment, rather than at uni in one of the labs. My PC is much more powerful, and has everything I need on it already, as well as my extra screen. I have the room to go off and start building models and stuff, and if I need food or water I don't have to save my stuff, back it up, log off, pack up my things and climb down 7 flights of stairs to go get something- I can just hit save and walk out to the kitchen. That gives me very little incentive to stay on campus outside of class hours unless I am doing groupwork or hanging out with friends, and that doesn't always happen at times or on days that make it convenient to also go to lectures.

My course also stresses a good relationship with our tutors, rather than our lecturers. In fact, the only reason I have lectures right now is because these are the first year units that I have to take for my bastard of a custom course (hooray RPL) that are shared with people from a dozen other degrees. I'm likely to never have any class with that lecturer again. For the most part the tutors that I have for those units are the ones I will be wanting to seek the help of, rather than the lecturer. The rest of my units- the degree-specific ones- just don't have lectures. We're also talking about 1 hour lectures, compared to 3-4 hour tutorials or labs, so I still have a lot of contact with my tutors during those classes.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I totally understand what Niall and everyone else is trying to point out, but I've done the going-to-every lecture thing before and I just didn't find it as rewarding as I would've liked, and now that I am faced with the choice of being on campus 4 days a week, or 2 days a week (one day for just 2 hours), I find the latter to be a far better use of my time and money. I usually try to fit lectures into my timetables if I'm going to be on campus that day anyway, but this semester it just hasn't turned out that way.

That is a very different situation to my degree, but I'd still recommend going to lectures when you can make it worth your while. If some of your learning involves reading and research - things you don't need access to your PC for - maybe block one day a week for doing that on campus and go to that day's lecture while you're there. Making one lecture a week is still better than making zero.

And there is a huge difference to your engagement level when you are actually in class compared to rewatching something on the screen. Plus if you don't understand something you can just stick your hand up.

edited July 2012
    engineers do so much more work than arts students

it is completely absurd

they should make us work heaps harder

Crimson King on
    It's to prepare you for doing no work once you leave uni.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    My design degree was like a job. Started at 8:30 every morning, finished at 5:30. You could do homework if you wanted, but it wasn't necessary.

• PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    #pipe wrote: »
    My design degree was like a job. Started at 8:30 every morning, finished at 5:30. You could do homework if you wanted, but it wasn't necessary.
    This also the equipment at my job is well kinda meh.

PixelMonkey on

They try to make our degree like that sometimes, but it's usually just during crunch time or group project periods.

But even when I'm not going in to do project work every day I'll come home from classes and just do uni work til midnight, get up at 6 and repeat.

I am super smart so I just go to the bare minimum of classes and still get like 99 for half my subjects.

broken image link
    Bear university was just a party school though.

I slept through all my hibernation lectures.

broken image link

They try to make our degree like that sometimes, but it's usually just during crunch time or group project periods.

But even when I'm not going in to do project work every day I'll come home from classes and just do uni work til midnight, get up at 6 and repeat.

Wow, I wish I could just tell you to sleep more but I know a lot of courses don't really make that an option. I could not cope with that workload, personally. Butler needs his sleepy-time.

How are you going since your random napping?

6 hours is fine for me, as long as I am getting 6 hours every night.

If I sleep too little or too much then the trouble starts. I should note that I'm not working 100% of the day, but a lot of it during the crunch time weeks. I also put in a lot more effort than most of the students doing my degree. I want a good mark and a good folio at the end of it.

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I drift in and out of consciousness in the front row of all my lectures. Most of the lecturers love me.
    I just can't stay awake, I try really hard but they dim the lights and I'm gone.

• HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Speaking of sleep, how is it that instead of allowing me to sleep through the night, alcohol wakes me up at stupid hours with a mouth that tastes of death and a hangover headache? It's not even light outside yet people!

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
This discussion has been closed.