As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    So I keep hearing a rumor from my LCS that Flash is cancelled after #12. Personally, I think that's bullshit, but anyone got a source to confirm or deny?

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Arryn wrote: »
    So I keep hearing a rumor from my LCS that Flash is cancelled after #12. Personally, I think that's bullshit, but anyone got a source to confirm or deny?

bullshit, they talk about 13# in this inteview
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/the-flash-new-52-origin-tease-interview.html

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    awesome, thanks.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Maybe someone misread an old article. Flash Volume 3 was rebooted after 12 issues to make room for the New 52 relaunch.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Raaagghhhh
    I really do question why one store will buy the new comics of another just because they did not get them in

I know he man was probally going to be a hard one to get but earth 2 and world's finest?

So Action Comics #11
    I'm guessing this guy in red is the 52 version of Captain Comet? He mentions being a mutant, born 100,000 years ahead of their time, which was always Comet's schtick. He also refers to his ship as the "Cometeer".

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Arryn wrote: »
    So Action Comics #11
    I'm guessing this guy in red is the 52 version of Captain Comet? He mentions being a mutant, born 100,000 years ahead of their time, which was always Comet's schtick. He also refers to his ship as the "Cometeer".
    Almost certainly, yeah. It's also implied his name is Adam Blake.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Morrison had me with #11 up until the…

Nutant shit…

Really?

Nutant?

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Halfway through Batman Earth One

what kind of crazy universe is this where
    Harvey Bullock is cooler than Commissioner Gordon

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Just keep reading

CYpGAPn.png
    edited July 2012
    Okay yeah

Well

I really enjoyed that. A lot. I am interested in seeing more of this Batman.

Tairu on
    Yeah, I really am too.

I hope Johns gets a chance to write more of them, but am worried since this one was hilariously delayed.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited July 2012

Holy crap, some of these annuals...

Action Comics Annual has a back-up story by Ryan Sook and Max Landis. Fuckin' A.
    I do have a weird anxiety about the main story though... I know Sholly and Grant have been working pretty closely together but didn't Grant already hint at three new villains called the K-Men? Sort of weird that we're getting just the one Kryptonite Man here. Unless of course this leads into the creation of two other members. I have faith in Fisch, s/he has been doing great work since... well, Batman Brave and the Bold.

Justice League Dark is going to crossover with Amethyst a month before her story starts in September. Thats kind of cool, though. A preview of what is to come. On one hand I really don't want them to make Amethyst's story so dark already... I mean, her original story was pretty fucking dark but that was mostly after the first maxi-series. But then, Jeff Lemire is writing it. I've loved his two issues of JLD so far. Oh, and Frankenstein is on the team this issue!

Swamp Thing Annual has art by Becky Cloonan. 'nuff said.

Edit: The K-Man on the cover pretty much matches the look of the one seen in Action #6, brown hair and mustache. We just haven't seen him without the trench-coat.

Tairu on
    So Morrison finally laid out what all of the worlds are going to be in Multiversity, and insists it is still actually coming out.

The Society of Superheroes, or S.O.S., a pulpy take on the DCU. Probably inspired by the Pulp Dr. Fate that pops up in Final Crisis that Morrison really liked.

Thunder World, the classic Captain Marvel Fawcett Comics world.

Pax Americana, the Watchmen-esque world starring the Charlton Comics characters.

The Just, a world focusing on "celebrity youngsters"

and Mastermen, a facist version of the Justice League

really the only one I am interested in is S.O.S.

maybe Pax Americana

CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Maybe if the books came out years back, it would be interesting, but none of them really seem that original now. The Just is probably the most original one, but Joe Casey did a darn good job of it with FCA: Dance and America's Got Powers is pretty much doing the same thing right now (and previously Wildguard). AGP is not very good mind you but they've claimed that idea. Mastermen reminds me more of the DCAU Justice League future.

Really, Earth 2 seems to be going to more interesting places than what those descriptions are.

Yeah, I was expecting some pretty fun crazy shit out of Multiversity and am pretty let down

S.O.S. mostly intrigues me because the pulp Dr. Fate looked really, really cool and I love me some Fate.

CYpGAPn.png
    If Multiversity is a just a way to introduce a bunch of new books, then I'm not really interested.

But if it's exploring the concept of a multiverse a bit, like in JLA: Earth-2, then I'm game.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    it's funny how the dc multiverse seems to be less 'what if dinosaurs won world war two?' and more 'what if everything was very slightly different, but mostly the same'

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I would so totally buy "what if dinosaurs won World War 2!!!!"

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    The death and return of superman recap on youtube max landis?

Hrm. I want to see.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    yeah only thunder world and sos do anything for me

and i'm iffy on thunderworld unless it is billy, mary, and freddie, along with their bunny and tiger punching giant monsters. and billy can totally be a reporter at like twelve and the tiger can totally talk. I want that. anything that tries to make that weirder or less light-hearted'll ruin it.

7656367.jpg
    edited July 2012
    Tony Daniel doing JL arc dealing with new Cheetah, and keeps the sad tradition of the Justice League always being knocked out on the ground. I knew Daniel was going to Justice League, this makes it seem like just an arc but I bet he'll stick around for a longer run.

TexiKen on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    “For me, the Cheetah is up there with Black Manta, Sinestro and Captain Cold as one of the most iconic villains in the DC Universe."

Haha, what? I know you're promoting the book Geoff, but seriously? And how do you talk about iconic villains and leave out Lex Luthor and the Joker?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I think a lot of people know a lot about Lex and Joker but ask someone outside of comics about what they know about those 4
    I think Super Freinds enemies is the best I can come up with

Was Cheetah even on Super Friends? Honestly, I think even Gorilla Grodd and Solomon Grundy are more iconic than Cheetah.

Cheetah's biggest moment in recent years was sleeping with Snapper Carr, she's got some rungs to climb on the recognition ladder.

she was on superfriends, yes

7656367.jpg
    edited July 2012
    You guys, so cynical

Johns has done a great job with Black Manta in the new Aquaman (by which I mean he is... actually a character now) and in five years he turned Sinestro from some big-headed goon into one of the coolest DC villains.

Also, Tony Daniel's art has improved a lot since he was working on Batman with Grant, that cover looks pretty good.

In other news, I finished my third re-read of Dial H #1-3 and have realized that I do like it for more than the crazy transformations. There is a pretty awesome story being told, Squid is a really fun villain, and Manteau is a great foil for Nelson.

Tairu on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I've noticed as Sinestro became cooler, the size of his head shrank. It's like a ratio, or something, man.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Cheetah was on Super Friends, and she's been the "we need a female to put up against Wonder Woman" villain ever since. But she really, really needs someone to make her more relevant.

I might have to check out Dial "H" when it comes out in trade. I bought the first issue, but it didn't grab me the way I hoped it would. But it did seem like the type of story that was better told in a trade format.

Earth-2 was good again. I like the new dynamic between Alan and Grundy that Robinson's playing with. If anything bugged me about the issue, it was Alan's costume. Just too much green. Needed more white, or some Grey/Black to break it up.

edited July 2012
    Giganta's a way better Wonder Woman villain

And Dr. Psycho

Robos A Go Go on
    I have a bit of a soft spot for Dr. Poison as well.

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    You're all wrong. Blue snowman is the best.

steam_sig-400.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Ever since I found out that there was a Wonder Woman villain named Duke Mephisto Saturno, I've wanted to see that guy return. I don't care if he bears no resemblance to the previous incarnation, I just love that name.

Ditto for the Bughuman Plague. And American Adolph. And Professor Frenzo. And Sharkeeta.

Seriously, these names are just laying there, not being used for amazing things.

Ever since I found out that there was a Wonder Woman villain named Duke Mephisto Saturno, I've wanted to see that guy return. I don't care if he bears no resemblance to the previous incarnation, I just love that name.

Ditto for the Bughuman Plague. And American Adolph. And Professor Frenzo. And Sharkeeta.

Seriously, these names are just laying there, not being used for amazing things.

Jesus Christ, I had no idea.

I think the problem is that people seem determined to take Wonder Woman very seriously, and none of those names really work for that.

edited July 2012
    I think the problem is that people seem determined to take Wonder Woman very seriously, and none of those names really work for that.

I think that's a big part of why people generally don't connect with, or find her interesting. For most of the modern age, she's been played very stoic and stern. There's not much humor to her, so there's not much humanity to her. Gail Simone tried to do a more human take on Wonder Woman, but her run really got bogged down with all the Genocide stuff, and ultimately didn't really go anywhere.

I'm sure I've said it before, but I'd like to see a Wonder Woman in the vein of Pak and Van Lente's Hercules. Something with a lot of heart, humor, and craziness, that still has real, emotional resonance.

Munch on
    I was thinking Disney's Hercules

same thing!

oh ho ho ho

7656367.jpg
    boooo

This discussion has been closed.