As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A little help with my monitor please? >.>

TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailorSeattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
P1000697.jpg

So yeah, what the hell!? That just showed up out of nowhere this morning and doesn't go away when I turn the monitor off and back on. I haven't moved my monitor at all in about a year so it hasn't taken any knocks or anything. Is my monitor just randomly imploding on me?

EDIT: And yes, I did make sure it wasn't just something random stuck to my screen that my evil cat mischievously placed there while I slept.

wWuzwvJ.png
TOGSolid on

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    maybe the dust insulation on that side got loose? I don't think this is properly fixable without disassembly..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    maybe the dust insulation on that side got loose? I don't think this is properly fixable without disassembly..

Yeah, normally I'd dive head first in there with a screwdriver and all my engineer wrath, but there are no screws on this monitor to allow for easy access :(.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    What kind of monitor is it? You'd be surprised how often Googling "model dissassembly" or somesuch will get you something usable. Check for stickers or inserts that might be hiding screw holes. You may have to remove the back casing to be able to pry off the front piece. Looks like a piece of insulation, adhesive tape, or a shim has come loose up there.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It's an Acer H243h and yea, I found a service manual, but I'm getting the impression that they really don't want you popping that back cover off. This is kinda giving me the excuse to grab the 24" version of the EVO/MLG standard monitor though, so I might just relegate this one to being a secondary and getting a new main screen.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Ugh, Acer.. Yea, they have a lot of random WTF errors because of poor insulation (i believe..), have you tried digging deep in the depths of the sub-forums for your particular model? It could also be something with your computer, so I recommend trying it as a display for other sources and seeing. You can also buy one of those automatic HDTV adjusters that you just clamp on, and they work.. I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I've been meaning to buy one myself for a while becuase they have more use than just fixing borked monitors, and assist with calibration.