As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Football/Soccer] Chamack to score 30 goals for West Ham

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Liverpool briefly listed Clint Dempsey on their squad list before removing him..

I like to read this and then look over at your avatar.

And Sounders kit is fine. But to be fair, it pulls especially well with the nerd/sports crowd since they are Xbox 360 sponsored. :)
    If they do change up the kit, I'd love to see an alternate jersey that's black with either white or rave green. Yeah, maybe an almost solid black polo style with rave green accents (such as the underside of the collar)? I know, complete departure from what the actual colors are...but it would look totally awesome.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I think the Sounders' home jersey is just fine.

It's the away jerseys that are crimes against humanity.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Liverpool briefly listed Clint Dempsey on their squad list before removing him..

I like to read this and then look over at your avatar.

And Sounders kit is fine. But to be fair, it pulls especially well with the nerd/sports crowd since they are Xbox 360 sponsored. :)
    If they do change up the kit, I'd love to see an alternate jersey that's black with either white or rave green. Yeah, maybe an almost solid black polo style with rave green accents (such as the underside of the collar)? I know, complete departure from what the actual colors are...but it would look totally awesome.

Yep. Googling a bit more and it sounds like it's going to happen. If my avatar could be sadder it would

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The Sounders third kit causes a strong desire to find the committee that green-lit the thing and inform them that hoarding all the good hallucinogenics is completely unfair.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • ShandoShando Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    The Sounders third kit causes a strong desire to find the committee that green-lit the thing and inform them that hoarding all the good hallucinogenics is completely unfair.

Agreed. The electricity ones grew on me and I actually started liking them quite a bit after a while. I just don't see that happening with these cyan ones though. They're just too ridiculous.

your troll just berserked on us.
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    I dunno, they've grown on me. Seeing them in-person / on people they look a lot better than the still images. Either way I'm a fan of having a ridiculous 3rd kit. Keep a set, classic home/away kit pairing and then go wild with the alternate every couple years.

Now I wish Seattle would have kept the original blue away shirt rather than switch the grey. Maybe it'll return next year.

OTP.jpg
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    I dunno, they've grown on me. Seeing them in-person / on people they look a lot better than the still images. Either way I'm a fan of having a ridiculous 3rd kit. Keep a set, classic home/away kit pairing and then go wild with the alternate every couple years.

Now I wish Seattle would have kept the original blue away shirt rather than switch the grey. Maybe it'll return next year.

Yeah, I miss capital blue away. On the other hand, I personally dig the shale kit.
    And I'm the same about the third except electricity never grew on me. Super cyan looked tragic when they first released it, but it does look a little better in action (though I would certainly never buy it...).

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Responding to a few of the recent threads of conversation from the evening:

-I love my super cyan kit. The only change I'd make to it is to replace the electricity badge on the shirt with the actual crest.

-Forgot to mention that Portland has only managed 2 away wins since joining MLS. Also, Merritt Paulson cried during the press conference when he was announcing that John Spencer is sacked.

-Finally, Montreal's attendance will be dropping sharply. For some reason when they stopped playing at Olympic Stadium and moved back to the newly renovated Stade Saputo, attendance was cratered. They went from solid 46k+ crowds (and like a 60k crowd when the LA Galaxy were in town) to 12k crowds. Saputo is around 27k capacity. I have no idea why... their current draw isn't much more than what they got when they were a second division club.

• projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Responding to a few of the recent threads of conversation from the evening:

-I love my super cyan kit. The only change I'd make to it is to replace the electricity badge on the shirt with the actual crest.

-Forgot to mention that Portland has only managed 2 away wins since joining MLS. Also, Merritt Paulson cried during the press conference when he was announcing that John Spencer is sacked.

-Finally, Montreal's attendance will be dropping sharply. For some reason when they stopped playing at Olympic Stadium and moved back to the newly renovated Stade Saputo, attendance was cratered. They went from solid 46k+ crowds (and like a 60k crowd when the LA Galaxy were in town) to 12k crowds. Saputo is around 27k capacity. I have no idea why... their current draw isn't much more than what they got when they were a second division club.

I wonder if the Montreal thing is due to location of the Saputo? I dont know enough about the city to know if thats the case though. Seems strange for it to just randomly drop.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    honestly, the first couple games at the old location were great but the last couple games there they only had around 20k each game, and thne once they moved to the new stadium its dropped to 15k on average. I'm not sure what that is about, they are playing pretty well for an Expansion team, hell they have a better record than Toronto.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping it's not because they're nostalgic for Olympic Stadium or anything. I hope to God that's not the case. We all remember the Expos, right?

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Given the ridiculous attendance boost when LA Galaxy came to town (60k -- more people than their season opener), it could just be that the majority of attendees just wanted to participate in the spectacle of the thing.

It looks like I was off on my capacity number for Stade Saputo -- it seats around 20k. They had 17k in attendance for the stadium opener against the Sounders, and only 14k for a rivalry match against Toronto a couple games later.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    After carressing and kissing Mrs.Lampard for hours, she was left as slippy and wet as the penalty spot on that fateful night in Moscow.

https://twitter.com/50ShadesofJT

Tav on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Pentaghost wrote: »
    Shando wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    that is one ugly ass kit

But I love it anyway! Still looking forward to how they update our home/away kits for next year though...
    I really like it too. It's a unique look without being too over the top.

And I had no idea how big football/soccer is in the United States if that video is anything to go by.
    To be fair, that's the largest soccer stadium and the most popular team in the U.S. Like, average attendance for the Sounders is almost 40,000 this season; the next highest is the Montreal Impact at 25,000, then the LA Galaxy at 23,000. There are only 5 teams that top 20,000 average attendance.

But yeah, unlike most professional sports, the popularity of soccer is growing, especially in the Pacific Northwest (we've gotten three teams in the last four years).

And Montreal just had to cut ticket prices because their attendance tanked after they moved out of the Olympic Stadium back to the expanded Saputo Stadium.

Edit: We seem to be going for ugly third kits in the north west. The Whitecaps Brown kit just baffles me.

And apparently it has the same effect on Hassli.

7373997898_6bdf656439.jpg

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

I wonder if the Montreal thing is due to location of the Saputo? I dont know enough about the city to know if thats the case though. Seems strange for it to just randomly drop.

The two stadiums are literally beside each other. The Montreal FO divided the season tickets this year between the games at the O and those at Saputo (ie you bought them seperately), which has apparently backfired.

Also on that Vancouver third, you'd think a team who are named by rivals as "Shitecaps" would be sensitive about playing in brown.

LordSolarMacharius on
    Corvus wrote: »
    Edit: We seem to be going for ugly third kits in the north west. The Whitecaps Brown kit just baffles me.

And apparently it has the same effect on Hassli.

7373997898_6bdf656439.jpg

What...I don't even...huh?

I kinda like the brown kits, too. They're barely distinguishable from their black away kits, though. Like, the day they unveiled them I didn't even realize that they were that color from the pictures at the launch event.

MLS question, Sounders and Whitecaps have the same amount of points, with Whitecaps having played one less game, and yet Sounders are listed above them in the table based on goal differential.

Shouldn't the same amount of points from less games trump goal differential? Seems weird.

Corvus wrote: »
    MLS question, Sounders and Whitecaps have the same amount of points, with Whitecaps having played one less game, and yet Sounders are listed above them in the table based on goal differential.

Shouldn't the same amount of points from less games trump goal differential? Seems weird.

doesn't really matter because it's only used for differentiating teams at the end of the season when everyone's played an equal amount of matches

edited July 2012
    I don't think MLS (or any other league) rank by games played because

a) you get into "potential" points (Van could get 3 or 1 or 0 with the game in hand)
    b) mid-season standings don't matter for awards / placements
    c) the final standings are gonna be equal games played, so not a concern in the end.

MLB/NBA/NFL do the same thing, sort by win percentage, even if a lower team has games in hand that could move them up. Actually not sure about this.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
    edited July 2012
    They go by GD because GD is a potential tiebreaker for the purposes of determining who is attending the playoffs, while GP is not. Vancouver obviously has an advantage by having a game in hand, but if Don Garber decreed that the playoffs are tomorow then the Sounders would have a higher seed.

Dehumanized on
    They go by GD because GD is a potential tiebreaker for the purposes of determining who is attending the playoffs, while GP is not. Vancouver obviously has an advantage by having a game in hand, but if Don Garber decreed that the playoffs are tomorow then the Sounders would have a higher seed.

Well certainly part of the Sounders' playoffs is tomorrow. :D

Because we're the Open Cup guys, and then choke when we hit post-season...

Yep. Here's a summary of all US Open Cup results that the Sounders have had at Starfire:

AxeKSKoCMAE75MV.jpg

15 GP, 41 GS, 9GA, 15-0-0 record. Will be seeing you fine folks there.

Yep. Here's a summary of all US Open Cup results that the Sounders have had at Starfire:

AxeKSKoCMAE75MV.jpg

15 GP, 41 GS, 9GA, 15-0-0 record. Will be seeing you fine folks there.

Oh how I wish our regular season schedule looked like that!

edited July 2012
    2 hours to go until the USOC semifinals start! Follow this guy on twitter for updates. Both host teams will have streaming video broadcasts on the Sounders and Philadelphia websites, respectively.

Head referee for Chivas USA at Sounders (7PM Pacific time) will be Chris Penso. Hilario Grajeda will be on the field for Sporting Kansas City at Philadelphia Union (4:30PM Pacific time).

Finally, here's a recap video from the last time that Chivas and the Sounders met in USOC play at Starfire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySSJ7EQ5Gw0&feature=player_embedded

Dehumanized on
    Heading down to Starfire in about 45min. Should be a glorious night for a match.

OTP.jpg
    Road to the Open Cup goes through KC after their 1-0 win over Philly.

Sounders in 30, see a strong lineup warming up: Montero, Johnson, Alonso, Caskey, Cato, Rose, Ianni, Scott, Hurtado... didn't catch the 4th defender

OTP.jpg
    OH THAT GOAL!
    Beautiful touches straight up!

Thank goodness for Montero putting through a pass instead of shooting for once.

edited July 2012
    Jebus, the Caps just cannot get it together vs TFC.

Also, they sold Davide Chiumiento to FC Zurich

Corvus on
    Looks like I'm booking a flight to Kansas. Prices are jumping rapidly since the game ended. Before the match it was around $380, currently seems to be up around $460. Please stabilize!

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm booking a flight to Kansas. Prices are jumping rapidly since the game ended. Before the match it was around $380, currently seems to be up around $460. Please stabilize!
    I can't really afford to fly out there for the game, so your job is to cheer for me.

I hope we rock them, but KC is pretty serious business this season.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    they haven't been so solid recently, It should be a really well played cup match for sure.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

I wonder if the leadup to the 3rd goal in that game can qualify for MLS goal of the week?
    Certainly the final strike wasn't especially amazing, but all the touches from the throw-in up to the final pass were beautiful.
    That's the kind of soccer that the Sounders need to be playing every game.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Looks like Milan will be losing both Thiago Silva and Ibrahimovic to PSG.

I'm not particularly fond of Milan, but damn..that's harsh.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I wonder if the leadup to the 3rd goal in that game can qualify for MLS goal of the week?

I would think Vancouver's Mattocks has the GotW wrapped up. The hang time on his jump was just craziness.

oldmanken wrote: »

I would think Vancouver's Mattocks has the GotW wrapped up. The hang time on his jump was just craziness.

I will have to look this up when I get home.

I was only semi-serious about mine. :P It was certainly amazing, but I wasn't sure if Open Cup games even count for that kind of thing since it isn't MLS regular season play.

edited July 2012
    Yeah, the Mattocks goal is utterly ridiculous.

x610-8.jpeg

On first glance, you might think "hey that's a foul". What the picture does not illustrate is that the defender was backing into him and expecting to get shoulders because that is what happens when you back into a normal human. But nope, he got knees. Mattocks got that high just from jumping.

Strong early contender for goal of the week.

Dehumanized on
  • HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Looks like Milan will be losing both Thiago Silva and Ibrahimovic to PSG.

I'm not particularly fond of Milan, but damn..that's harsh.
    @AndrewOrsatti: Ibrahimovic-Thiago Silva deal worth 62m Euros in transfer fees and Milan save 108m in wages, for a total 170m, acc to Gazzetta dello Sport.”

That's a pretty insane amount of money freed up if true, will allow them to rebuild the whole squad, maybe even place a sneaky bid at getting balotelli back to Italy

from that picture, I'm wondering what in the absolute fuck that goalie is thinking with regards to positioning. He's behind the guy heading the ball and has left an open goal.

edited July 2012
    Here's video of the goal. He was trying to punch it out but Mattocks got in over the punch to head it in. Also you'll note this goal was in the 90th minute and Toronto still won the game.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2012/11/07/goal-mattocks-climbs-over-kocic-equalizer

Dehumanized on
This discussion has been closed.