As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rise of the Logical Phallacies: [Phalla] - Mafia victory!

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Can't do probability.

MrTLicious on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Doing probability is the work of the thinking man. Like a brain surgeon. Did you know:
    The plural of surgeon general is surgeons general. The past tense of surgeons general is surgeonsed general

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    I'd ask what the current vote count is, but then I'd have to switch my vote to whoever did all that logical number tallying.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I should make the magic box count wrong for this game

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    The magic box has Cayrus voting for someone not playing this phalla :P

Explanation?

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    GreenbaronsGreenbarons CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cythraul wrote: »

Explanation?

Cayrus literally voted for someone not in the phalla. A most illogical approach. I approve.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Vote closes in slightly less than an hour.

• Options
    And, for those of you interested in such things, I punted this evening... the daughter is out with her boyfriend, and my oldest is visiting grandma. Soo...

gourmet pizza at a local place with the youngest, then milkshakes from Amy's Ice Cream. Not the 6th St one, though it's always a kick to head down there and ask them to throw your scoop into your bowl, from across the street...

• Options
    Cythraul wrote: »

Explanation?

Cayrus literally voted for someone not in the phalla. A most illogical approach. I approve.

Indeed. Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Game what do you have to say for yourself?

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I'm eating some fresh cut pineapple! I didn't do a shitty job this time, and got way more out of it :)
    Phyphor for bein' a wizard and usin magics

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Apparently Baidol is not playing, so I guess Cythraul.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Oh hey this game started while I was away for the day.

Hello TheRoadVirus, a person who totally is playing

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    So has anything interesting happened?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Usual Day 1 nonsense.

Some good bad logical arguments though.

• Options
    I go to get food and come back to getting voted out!

Julius

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

Julius

Voting for self preservation seems logical, maybe you should be voted out.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    But I can make way better worse arguments than him!

• Options
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »

Julius

Voting for self preservation seems logical, maybe you should be voted out.

After re-reading that, maybe I should be too. >_>

So on second thought, carry on.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Vote is Closed. Narration to follow shortly...

• Options
    Aw man, Phyphor was winning? :(
    Im sorry man

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Day 1: Unknown Unknowns
    “There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
    There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that, we now know we don't know.
    But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know.”
    -Lando Calrissian

The True Scotsman gathered his compatriots together, clad his trademark Connery mask. “Friends,” he said, and objections were shouted from the crowd. “Allies,” he shouted, and accusations of bias were roared back at him. “Fellow arguments!” he yelled, raising his arms to the sky as the assembled beings demanded as one to see his proof, raising their fists in defiance. “The time is almost upon us! Only one thing stands in our way.”

The crowd fell into a dull murmur, leaning forward.... they were surprised. They believed he had called them together to announce the attack, but what was this almost...? The Scotsman’s voice dropped to a whisper. “Fellow arguments, there are... philosophers among us.”

Silence. Arguments looked at each other, and shrugged.

“No, I mean REAL philosophers! Logical thinkers! Servants of Logos. No true attack begins before the ranks are purged, and purge we must! We cannot hope to succeed without the death of those whom we oppose!” A wave of noise washed through the group. Philosophers? Rational thinkers? Possibly even mathematicians?! The noise built, the crowd turning ugly... argument staring at argument, wondering, considering, speculating.
    The Scotsman levelled his decisive finger at them. “No true argument would tolerate these interlopers. Now, you can, you must, you will find these imposters and destroy them!!”
    The arguments turned to face each other, glowering, and all at once a torrent of accusation poured forth from every voice. Chaos reigned as fingers pointed every which way. Over it all the Scotsman watched, wondering which of them were the betrayers...

It was bedlam in the village square.

Oh no, Bedlam! Someone’s got to save him! thought the Appeal to the Majority. Everyone knows he’ll die this night!

But no attack appeared.

How can people want him dead, just because he went murderously crazy a few days ago? If they only knew the real Bedlam, they’d know he had his reasons! thought the Appeal to Pity.

But still, no attack came. At least, not yet, and not aimed at him.

Accusations flew. Suggestions were quietly whispered in the ears of unsuspecting arguments. Shouting matches broke out. People’s mothers were mentioned far more than anatomically possible, and while no one was looking, a cold hand fell on the shoulder of the Appeal to Pity. Turning, he peered into a set of calm, collected eyes. “You do understand,” the being said, “that someone can be completely earnest, completely forthright, and also completely wrong?

“I... I... who are you? I was... wait, don’t, please, I was only just getting staaaarted...”
    Deductive Reasoning watched dispassionately as Pity faded slowly away. Meeting the eyes of a few others, he disappeared back into the din. They had agreed, he had acted, and while they were working their own careful calculations, he had other business to resolve.

Meanwhile, the crowd was in utter disagreement. In the center of the din, The Strawman towered above them, his itchy arms waving. Finally, he settled on his target. “You!” he rasped, snatching the Appeal to the Majority into the air. “People who know what others think are clearly, clearly too well versed in linear thought. And do you know who else thinks linearly?!?”

The Appeal to the Majority never got a chance to answer... mounds of straw in his mouth, he was battered into oblivion before he could object.

The rest of the arguments looked at each other. Julius had, unfortunately for him, ended up in the center of the circle. “That’s good enough for us”, a few arguments shouted. From the back someone yelled “are we even sure the tally makes sense?” but at this point no one much cared. The arguments fell on Julius in a rage, and above them, the True Scotsman smiled behind his mask.

warban - Appeal to Pity: got no sympathy from the Good Arguments
    Cythraul - Appeal to the Majority: beaten by The Strawman
    Julius: - argued to death by the vote

Top Five Vote Earners
    Julius - 4
    Phyphor - 3
    Premium - 3
    jdarksun - 2
    Matev - 2
    Mill - 2
    Cythraul - 2
    Stever777 - 2
    warban - 2
    TheRoadVirus - 2
    PMs on the way. Day 2 begins now!

spool32 on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    So, three villagers down, including two specials.

Perhaps, not the best of starts.

Or maybe it is.

• Options
    So why did we get the top vote earner info? Was that a mechanic in the first post I just glanced over or something more sinister happening in PMs? D:

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    The people on the top are mafia! Or that's what they want us to think. Vote for the people with no votes and then vote for the top earners again to see what happens!
    Did you know CEOs earn about as much as like a few hundred of their employees?

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »

Specials?

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular

Perhaps, not the best of starts.

Or maybe it is.

Speshul? SPESHUL? Who tha hell told ya sum of us were "speshul"? Why I'm downright offended.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Hmm. Vote counts don't seem to line-up with the Magic Box.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    stever777 wrote: »

Specials?

My dear old grand pappy used to tell me that everyone was special (except for all the people he hated, like Julius). I'm just trying to spread his wisdom.

Now, let's talk about another nonspecial person: Anialos.

Everyone knows that a redneck is only good for two things and I don't see you with your sister/wife so I guess it's the other one. Which I forget right now.

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Moonshine, but I guess I wunna spected yoo ta know that. Yer right tha' I ain't nuthin' special though. Don't quite see how that mean I gots to go. It does speak well of your Deductive Reasoning though Assuran.

• Options
    You strive for an A in school, and only good arguments get A's.

I know I'm not a good argument, so Q.E.D., it's obviously Anialos.

• Options
    Or, possibly, AManFromEarth..

You're a good argument, aren't you? What with all your book learning.

• Options
    If yah want ta go that route @AManFromEarth is uh-head o' me alphamabeticly.

• Options
    Hell, his name has an "A" to start with.

Obviously he's good.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    ARRRGGH!

Logic! You guys is using logic and it are hurting brian! Assuran

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Well I certainly would be BManFromEarth, what am I a farmer? And the answer to that question is not anymore.

But before you hold my education against me, remember that most of it was in Florida and the rest was in a Foreign Country.

Now I may have forgotten my point, but if I keep talking I'm sure I'll get back to one.

I'm more concerned with why @Assuran and @Anialos are trying to force everyone to take such a convenient and moderately logical way out. What's next? Getting Gabe and Tycho to change the official healthy snack of PA from fucked fruit to fucked broccoli?

You can't fuck a broccoli.

Trust me. I was a farmer.

And I've lived in Europe.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Assuran, for making sense

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Matev is only voting for me because he's a wookie and has bubblegum in his hair.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Stop the presses! STOP! THE! PRESSES! jdarksun is a filthy, rotten, no-Good Argument! My socks are mismatched, and that is proof enough of his guilt.

(also, seer test)

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    You know, I don't like to make snap judgments.

I like to look at an issue, barely hear either side, and then immediately decide which alternative I will angrily oppose.

But something's not sitting right with me about @Assuran.

I can assur-him that if I don't get the answers I demand and will not listen to my these [color] [/color] brackets are going to fill themselves.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    jdarksun because seers are bad.

Because seers are bad, the Anonymous is bad.

Because Anonymous is bad, all players with the letter A in their name are bad.

I think.