As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] A friend is just a spy that hasn't betrayed you yet.

GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what?Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
edited April 2013 in MMO Extravaganza
If you use an ATI graphics card, turn off station environments immediately, hit ESC and go to the right tab and click the correct checkbox. Your card will be destroyed.
eve.jpg
New Thread Updated with political info, Incarna expansion info, and Dust 514 FPS console info.

Eve Online is a political, sandbox, spaceship, economic, military MMO in which you can literally do anything. It takes a departure from other MMOs in that it all occurs on a single server or universe and skills are trained 24/7 in a time-based queue (as opposed to a physical grind.) While the game has a learning curve, most people usually join in the following progression:

1) This is interesting I shall try it.
2) Mining is fun.
3) Mining is not fun.
4) I am bored with missions and the new season of Fringe is starting, I'm quitting
5) *6 months later* You know some political thing happened and everyone is talking about it, I'll give it another shot.
6) This is better than I remember.
7) Skills are taking forever, I wonder if I can get out to nullsec
8) T2 guns are almost done *suicide*
header_292x136.jpg?t=1275007476

If you can get past that suicide in #8, you're hooked for life. The hook comes from the fact you can choose to do anything, administrate, mine, fight, trade, or construct the tools to do any of those things. It literally is a sandbox. Every six months or so new features are added, which may or may not fix or unfix some continuing lag issues that occur in larger fleet battles. Regardless, it's ever-evolving and you should try it! The current expansion is the Incursion update which was released several months ago and added Sansha invasions to high sec, low sec, and null sec space. They are PvE encounters (though PvP often occurs at them), and provide high amounts of ISK and loyalty points if they are completed successfully. The next expansion in the line premiers on June 21st, 2011 and is called Incarna. It will introduce station-based interaction with actual avatars.
EVE-Online-Incarna-Preview-E3-2011.jpg

Organizations are based on corporations, which then band together to form alliances. These powerblocs often ally with other alliances to form coalitions. For more information on the biggest Penny Arcade presence in EvE, check out the:

Merch Industrial is a corporation in the Goonswarm Federation (an alliance). Goonswarm Federation is the cornerstone of the Deklein Coalition (group of alliances) which was a close ally of the Northern Coalition. The Northern Coalition has been overrun by the Drone Russian Federation (a coalition of Russian alliances that aligned with our enemies Raiden., mercenaries Pandemic Legion, and smaller less dangerous groups like Evoke and NCdot). The sudden and unexpected collapse of the Northern Coalition has forced thousands of players into a prolonged and chaotic evacuation. Our enemies (Raiden.) but possibly the Russians and others, are now on our doorstep.

Any other corps out there with PA members, let me know so we can add you here. There are also a variety of trailers, which I encourage you to youtube because they are all about 3 minutes of awesomeness. Here is the most recent one, and the best one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGplrpWvz0I&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKviRpvGXBs

A console FPS, Dust 514, is now moving out of the realm of vaporware and will have a direct impact on the EvE Online universe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mlVuLs_Nw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzVjggarRns

Sagroth wrote: »
Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
Sterica on

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    New thread! OP shamelessly stolen from the last one.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I think they fixed the ATI graphics card thing about a year ago. It'll do for now but we should get that OP polished up.

Also need to put in the link for the new Merch Industrial thread. Was titled "Assemble Spaceknights! Your Battlesteed Awaits." or something like that.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, I'll polish it up when I get home later tonight. Just wanted to get the new thread started before we broke 102.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Bringing this over from the other thread so we can discuss it.
    Baidol wrote: »
    This is a cute article.

• Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    So if certain missions etc. are 80-100M/hr now -- how much does jewing make these days? I remember my T2 Hulk got generally 30-40M/hr before I quit 2 years ago.

• Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Any other corps out there with PA members, let me know so we can add you here.

My current corporation Suddenly Ninjas (TEARS alliance) has a newbie drive. From the recruitment thread:
    We scan down mission runners, and invade their missions. We steal their salvage, loot, mission objectives, and bounties. Oh, and sometimes their ships, too. Our members can be found in the asteroid belts stealing ore, or not at all when infiltrating other corps. We social engineer our way into their hangars and wallets, and leave them with nothing but the sound of our laughter.

I recommend the corporation to new players, who tried missioning/mining/whatever, find it boring, but for some weird reason don't want to join Merch Industrial in null. Instead of leaving EVE, join the thieves of EVE.

Please note that style of playing has little to do with usual PVP. We do not take part in high-sec wars, station games, or camping Jita undock. Instead, you exploit greed and stupidity of EVE players. You annoy them, until they make mistake. Eventually, they will all fall for your tricks, even the greatest player of them all: http://y0ink.us/killboard/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=209

Recruitment information: http://y0ink.us/forum/topic/1403/
    Killboard: http://y0ink.us/killboard/

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Do you have any good Empire ganking stories, Johan?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I'm terrible at telling stories. But I can tell you about some recent fights I had in the Empire.

Two weeks ago I scanned down two corpmates doing mission in two domis. Baited one domi into shooting. Played with the aggro timer for a bit, so when I warped back into the mission one domi concordotten itself. The other died to my cynabal.

My most profitable gank was last Saturday, with CNR worth over 2.5bil. He also paid 250mil in ransom, which was dishonored. I got almost a bil from that gank. There was more fun later, when one of his corpmates contacted us with a job offer to gank another mission runner. I guess not honoring the ransom means that we are very trustworthy. A corpmate talked them into giving him three scimitars as a pre-payment for the next job. Needless to say, there will never be a "next job".

I will always remember when our fleet ganked a very shiny CNR. With some social engineering, the pilot was convinced to eject from the ship with a promise that we will give him back the hull. When he warped in his pod to get back his ship, a suicide alt podded him with his nice implants. He was crying in local for a good 30 minutes.

Even can flipping can be fun. I once stole an orca from a stupid miner in a high-sec belt. Last week our corp had a newbie fleet doing can flipping. They scared a miner who warped out leaving expensive faction drones behind. Easy 500 mil from a simple can flip.

I'm not sure if you would call these stories "good". But I have fun in Empire. One day I would like to go back to MerchI, and try null sec life once more. But even then I would like to keep an alt in high-sec doing mission ganking. It's just fun.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    Every single carebear alliance that one of my neutral alts are using as cover has set Suddenly Ninja's (and TEARS) red. They must be doing something right.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Sounds like fun, I'm going to sit down and do some nasty shit to pubbies with a throw-away alt on the weekend.

• Options
    I play EVE almost exclusively for the grand political intrigue, which is why high-sec and high-sec ganking long ago lost their appeal for me. What political intrigue there is at that level as nigh meaningless, because high-sec entities have very little to lose in the high stakes game of EVE political cutthroat.

• Options
    It's relative to the entities involved. HiSec doesn't really care who owns Delve, for instance. They might cheer for one side or the other, but it really doesn't impact them. Well, outside of the potential business opportunities. Which is why I'm currently in HiSec. When I work with a few other players to cause corporations and players to leave an alliance, or cause that alliance to change how it operates... that's a direct impact that I'm causing. When I get an angry eve-mail calling me names, it is because I did something. When a former war target thanks me for showing him the problems of his old alliance and sends me isk, it is because I did something.

I could join an 0.0 entity to fight for some real estate, but I would only contribute a bit of DPS to a fleet fight with 100s of other players. Which might have an impact, but it isn't /my/ impact. It isn't personal. It might make the news; I might see people talking about it... but it isn't because of anything I did. I was just there.

But yar; importance is relative to the entities involved.

• Options
    Yet, through all that work, you didn't change anything about EVE. You didn't change anything about the world you are playing in, because causing some pubbies to leave a highsec alliance has no appreciable effect on the game as a whole. While in and of itself it's a hilarious and worthy goal, it doesn't mean anything.

This is where the relative importance comes in. It's quite possible you don't care at all about leaving a lasting impact on the game. You just want to hunt mission runners and make some pubbie cry in his cereal. Totally cool, even a bit noble, because fuck mission runners....but in the end, no one will remember anything you did except the people that were directly involved.

The things we've done, and are doing, out in nullsec are part of EVE history now. People talk about battles I've participated in like they are fabled events lost to mists of time. That's cool shit, to know you were involved in something people talk about years later, and associate directly with the history of the game. Even the things we've done in highsec, like hulkageddon and the oxygen incident, will be talked about for years.

So yes, there is relative importance involved, but not in the events themselves. Everything that happens in nullsec is almost inherently more important to the history of the game that what happens in highsec. Where the relative importance takes hold, is whether you care at all about making that sort of lasting impact on the game, or if you just want to get some lulz from killing a missioner CNR.

That was my original point. EVE as a game, or as a platform to grief mission runners, lost it's appeal to me a long time ago. EVE to me is now a grand political simulator. If I'm not involved with the grand chess pieces of EVE politics moving around, I wouldn't be involved. There are far better games out there if I just want to grief people for the laughs...DayZ comes to mind pretty immediately.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    23 hours until Caldari Offensive 5. That should give me a huge DPS boost to my Tengu.

Tonight I plan on ratting for ~600m isk and heading down to Delve via podjumping. I should have just jumped down 2 weeks ago and said to hell with getting the Tengu, heh.

• Options
    If that floats your boat, great. I'm not trying to tell people how to fly their internet spaceship pixels. When I'm not playing EVE by logging in, I'm still reading up on the politics. I get all the enjoyment out of 0.0 politics I can without needing to change a skill. I've done some time in 0.0, I've helped build my empires, and I've watched them dissolve. Eventually Goons too will follow in the footsteps of BoB, ASCN, ISS, Mo0, and countless others.

Some people want to be able to point to something major, and say "I was there". Some of us want to look at something and say "I did that". The power of EVE is that both things are possible. Following primary calls and pressing F1 is just as viable as spending a day researching a corp to find it's weakest links.

I am, however, amused by the irony of a Goon chest beating about how they are better than griefing :D

• Options
    I'm not a Goon? MerchI is in GoonSwarm, we are not Goons. Well, some of us may be, most of us aren't. A Goon being defined as a member of the Something Awful community. Many people may not remember this, but when I joined in 2007, MerchI wasn't part of GoonSwarm. We were friendly, but we were our own alliance, WANG. Most of us lived out of lowsec.

And I didn't say I was better than griefing, I grief all the time. I said EVE as a platform for griefing has long ago lost it's appeal for me, because it's frankly a terrible game. If it wasn't for the politics, I would have cashed out years ago. I still have open offers to buy my Nyx and it's pilot for quite a sum of cash. The politics of EVE is what keeps me from doing it.

• Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Suddenly Ninjas and Red Vs Blue are the only other non-goon alliances I ever send people to. They're all chill dudes for the most part, who do somewhat different things.

If you don't like goons, or don't want to do 0.0 warfare (both of which are understandable) I'd highly recommend them, and they won't hurt you if you later decide you want to come live with Merchi. I'll never reject anybody because of those corps, and SN is arguably the gooniest non-goon alliance out there.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Have you ever been involved in shit like WoW 40-man raids (I shamefully have played that game), and had to watch your leaders struggle with herding cats? Do you have any metrics on how long these incursionfleets take to form up when you can start ratting in 0.0 instantly?

The encounters could still be too easy, I've never been on a HQ fleet so vOv. But if it's anything similar to mothership fleets than claiming that it's "absolutely zero risk" is a viewpoint borne from ignorance. If your logis are slacking you are going down in mere seconds in a 40+ setting's DPS.

[from the old thread]

Yes i have played WoW 40man raids (and 20/10) and i have been in Mothership fleets, i'm sorry but i don't personally believe you can count 'Logistics slacking' as adding to the inherent risk of playing, people fucking up in there play doesn't add to the difficulty of the content (obviously no one is perfect and mistakes are made but that doesn't make the content inherently harder).

If a bunch of random 40 dudes who don't know each other and fumble threw it can make 120m isk/h Then what can a corp/alliance dedicated to it make? that is way to much for what is a essentially the risk free environment of high-sec.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    Sounds like fun, I'm going to sit down and do some nasty shit to pubbies with a throw-away alt on the weekend.

If you need any support in high-sec, including neutral alts, orca for transport, rr etc., just let me know via PM.

Most of us are currently in Gallente space, near Dodixie. But I'll gladly move to other regions.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Heroth wrote: »
    If a bunch of random 40 dudes who don't know each other and fumble threw it can make 120m isk/h Then what can a corp/alliance dedicated to it make? that is way to much for what is a essentially the risk free environment of high-sec.

74 mill/hr (was actually less in ISK and some LP adding up to that number assuming a value of 1k/LP), according to whoever that poster was. The 120m/h stuff was from shinyfleets pre-nerf in 10-man vanguards, which was even worse because finding 10 people is much easier.

I don't really see any value to further trying to show you why a 40-man fleet is harder to make a proper group of than a solo mission runner; if you don't understand this I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you think that highsec mission income (which is 40-60 mill/hr depending on skills and ship and LP value) is too much as well, in which case if CCP agrees with you they'd scale back both highsec and incursion income equally. But as L4s stand nerfing HQs would probably make incursions useless content.

Mind you, I last ran an incursion about a year ago in vanguard lowsec and I never want to run one again no matter how much they're worth. They require a lot of damn attention compared to even BS rat killing since targets die so fast, so I'm glad that a pimped Tengu can earn ever so slightly less ISK in sanctums than a 40-man HQ fleet.

• Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    your link for the Dust 514 page is broken, it should have a .com or a .org at the end

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, in a part of New Eden that most people have forgotten about... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCZj-L2Nac&feature=plcp

• Options
    TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=14004834

We're still having lots of fun, if you had stuff locked in Delve from '08/'09 we own it again and C3N is friendly

Eve Online: Zareph
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in a part of New Eden that most people have forgotten about... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCZj-L2Nac&feature=plcp

Who cares? drones suck.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    How dare you post a video not regarding CFC space.

Well done video, to be honest. CCP resorts to CG and terrible anecdotes, when they should be doing something like that.
    Trekkie wrote: »

We're still having lots of fun, if you had stuff locked in Delve from '08/'09 we own it again and C3N is friendly

I don't doubt that lots of awesome fights are being had, but that doesn't look like one of them.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    Zenitram wrote: »
    Trekkie wrote: »

I don't doubt that lots of awesome fights are being had, but that doesn't look like one of them.

Nope, that pretty much exemplifies exactly how much fun we're having in Delve right now.

Well, sometimes it's a bit more fun (even though we lost):
    http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=13999540

Note: BR is missing most logistics (natch) and Triage Carriers on their side.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Zenitram wrote: »
    How dare you post a video not regarding CFC space.

Because I'm in INIT. and picking stupid fights is our thing.

• Options

SUAS <3

• Options
    Anyone else remember this flash? :)
    http://dl.eve-files.com/media/0704/rmrnstuff.swf

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Haaaaaa! I remember all of his stuff. I was in the same corp as him too. Nice guy, even if his flash stuff makes him out to be too miserable :D

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    So CCP is finally throwing the publords a bone re: OTEC. Interesting.

• Options
    How so?

• Options
    Going to be interesting to see what kind of headway Goons/Test can make into -A- space. Presumably they will be hitting more stiff fleet resistance once they head to Catch or w/e region western -A- space is?

Viking Empire deciding to be annoying before they get trounced, or something? See they got Sov on a few unclaimed systems in Querious.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    We're not pushing into Catch. TEST has decided they would rather we go back home and leave them to try and hold the South on their own two feet.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Tech changes are years overdue, and I'm curious to see what the additional changes will be (assuming they happen). I don't think the alchemy will have much of an impact, but I am surprised they don't already have it for all of the moon goos.

• Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    I hope CCP does destructible stations soon so we can return to the south and finish the job.

• Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    Aaaw, I was going to have a money bubble floating in space giving me money :(

• Options
    Stations that become unusable if not maintained is something I've wanted for years. I'm not a fan of station ping pong... but I'm also not a fan of eternal stations.

• Options
    We're not pushing into Catch. TEST has decided they would rather we go back home and leave them to try and hold the South on their own two feet.

Aww, so the fun is over already? I thought there was finally going to be a big war against -A-

• Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    Lochiel wrote: »
    Stations that become unusable if not maintained is something I've wanted for years. I'm not a fan of station ping pong... but I'm also not a fan of eternal stations.

Scorched earth would be neat -- something like being able to set a 2 week self-destruct timer on stations you owned.

CCP has stated in the past that they don't like destructible stations because they're worried about resubscribed players logged out in the stations; it seems to me this could be solved easily enough by having a destroyed station leave a "station wreck" which you could log in to and preserved the contents of your hanger. You could undock, you just can't redock or use any station services (essentially acting like a hostile station towards everyone). With sov and a comperable amount of materials to what's required to build a new station you could turn a destroyed station back into a normal station (similarly to how station eggs work).
    JediNight wrote: »

Aww, so the fun is over already? I thought there was finally going to be a big war against -A-

There still might be; it just won't involve Goonswarm.

This discussion has been closed.