As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 4, Ep. 23: Games You Might Not Have Tried: 16

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
image[PATV] Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 4, Ep. 23: Games You Might Not Have Tried: 16-bit

This week, we list some under-appreciated titles from the beloved 16-bit era.<br /> Come discuss this topic in the <a href="http://extra-credits.net/episodes/games-you-might-not-have-tried-16-bit/#discuss&quot; target="_blank">forums</a>!

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    ArmaArma Registered User new member
    There were a lot of good Playstation 1 and N64 games that got shoved under the radar, would be great to see an episode on one of those. San that most every game in this episode was an Exploration-RPG.

• Options
    honorablethiefhonorablethief Registered User new member
    Great episode!

If you ever do one for the PS1/N64 era of consoles, you have to include "Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon" for the Nintendo 64. Think Mario 64 platforming mixed with OoT dungeon crawling (though maybe not as refined) with a shockingly large open world to explore in. The story is hilariously written with a ridiculous plot and I still laugh out loud at some of the story's twists. It seems to be really under the radar, but whenever I do find someone that has played it, they typically have the same high opinion as mine.

• Options
    ZumbrellaZumbrella Registered User new member
    That has to have something to do with the Shadowrun tabletop RPG

• Options
    JumplionJumplion Registered User regular
    I think it would have been really helpful to maybe show us where we could get these games. It's not like most of us have a spare SNES lying around, and a keen knowledge of eBay that will lead us to these obscure games. There has to be some emulators out there for these games, no?

As for future subcatagories in these episodes, I'd say do an episode on the PS2 (with some Xbox and Gamecube thrown in, or just a whole episode for Gen. 6 consoles). The system has easily 1000+ games, there are bound to be some obscure gems hidden in that huge pile. Plus it's more reasonable for people to play with PS2s still available to buy.

• Options
    NimanNiman Registered User new member
    I was/still am a massive fan of the SEGA Saturn. It had some of the best games I've ever played. Virtual Hydlide still is one my favorite RPGs. I'd love a feature on the Saturn!

• Options
    NimanNiman Registered User new member
    edited July 2012
    [double post]

Niman on
  • Options
    Martin ThorhaugeMartin Thorhauge Registered User new member
    Illusion of Gaia or Illusion of Time is definitly worth checking out if you like RPG games you should defintly give it a look. I personally love the music and the storyline, which incorporates many ancient lost wonders of the world. Give it a look!

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    God, Terranigma kicks ass. Glad it was mentioned.

I'd love to see a PS1/N64 episode next. The playstation is one of my favorite systems, alongside the SNES and DS.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    adi_pieadi_pie Registered User new member
    Shadowrun is such a great game and I'm so happy to see it and its magic cat mentioned.
    Speaking of magic cats, two games I'd love to see mentioned in a hypothetical future PS2 episode would be Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, strange names to be sure but wonderful games nonetheless.
    They all suffered the same fate most Atlus titles did before the recent Persona games, they were great, were acknowledged as such but never really sold all that well.
    I'd also throw in SMT 3: Nocturne into the mix, but that one isn't really as obscure.

• Options
    Mr.MoustacheMr.Moustache Slayer of Strings SeattleRegistered User new member
    Really great episode peoples. I love how your show manages to not only dig up some crazy obscure gems but also point out what made these games special and stand out from the popular games. I would love to see some early playstation one titles, especially un-released in America, for your next show! (wow went ahead to check other comments and it seems were all big fanboys/ladies)

• Options
    PinPrickNachoMancyPinPrickNachoMancy Registered User regular
    Terranigma is great and deserves recognition. Shadowrun is equally great (so I'm told), but, I though this was games that flew under the radar? I think you should just do the next generation. Or just break it up by system. You should also do an episode that is: forgotten games that DESERVE a remake. My pick: Colony Wars.

• Options
    GreipurGreipur Registered User new member
    A good list. For anyone looking for under the radar JRPGs I must recommend Treasure of the Rudras. A shame that it sold poorly and that Square themselves thought poorly of Keita Amemiya's effort (or at least that's what I read).

• Options
    urknighterranturknighterrant Soulless Abberation Tallahassee, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Yay! Love for uncharted waters 2! Koei made some of the best 16 bit games ever, but UW2 was their only RPG style adventure and that's a damn shame. The formula would have translated beautifully to Sci Fi.

Most of Koei's other titles were strategy games. These boardgame style masterpieces included Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Liberty or Death, Nobunaga's Ambition, and IMO the best boardgame style strategy game ever made, Pacific Theater of Operations 2. They also had a really fun business sim called Aerobiz Supersonic that was actually a pretty big hit with my friends.

urknighterrant on
  • Options
    MartytronicMartytronic Registered User new member
    I should mention a few other gems - try Ganbare Goemon 2(or 3 I cannot remember which) for its innovative co-op mechanics (your friend keeps falling off that cliff trying to make that jump that you know you can? give them a piggyback!), zaniness, and variety. Tales of Phantasia falls into the Terranigma vein of things, but I found it a lot more immersive and had such an involving storyline, I would put it right next to Chrono Trigger.

• Options
    ReleeSquirrelReleeSquirrel Registered User new member
    Wow, you might say games you may not have heard of, but most of those games were on my favorites list of SNES games. Innindo, Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, EVO, Shadowrun, Terranigma... Fantastic choices, all. I haven't heard of the others, which means they're probably Genesis games, but darn they look good!

Great ep guys.

• Options
    JrJardJrJard Registered User new member
    Oh man! U.N. Squadron was my favorite game! When I would visit my grandfather I would rent the game at a mom-and-pop store and never remembered the name of the game. Thank you for reuniting me with the one that got away!

• Options
    Deacon ColeDeacon Cole Registered User regular
    I can't wait until you do the 8-Bit era. That'll be a tough one since the consoles in question can be hard to find and harder to find in good working order. But, emulation can take the edge off of that. From that era I would recommend Attack of the Timelord and UFO on the Odyssey 2 and Space Battle, Astrosmash, Utopia, B-17 Bomber, Bomb Squad, Shark! Shark!, Frog Bog, and ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Cartridge AKA Cloudy Mountain on the Intellivision.

The Odyssey 2 games are interesting in that the system appears to be way under powered when compared to the Atari 2600. The graphics were mostly made from prerendered spites, so it was effectively text mode. While many of the games were obvious knock offs of popular games, they were slightly tweaked with unique features and graphical touches that showed care. Their Master Strategy series attempted to overcome the system's limitations by incorporating a board game into play. Quest For the Rings is considered the best of this series.

The Intellivision is interesting because it comes across as a thinking man's Atari. It had the numeric keypad that used overlays for the various games and often these buttons were put to use, unlike in later systems like the Atari 5200 or Colecovision. This led to more strategy-based gameplay that was rare in video games at the time unless you were using a computer. Interestingly, ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Cartridge AKA Cloudy Mountain plays somewhat similar to Odyssey 2's Quest For the Rings with a boardgame-like overworld map that merely determines which underground labyrinth you enter. The differences end there as AD&D's gameplay is more inspired by the old text computer game Hunt the Wumpus where sound and graphical "clues" let you know which monsters are nearby and where they might be.

The Odyssey 2 is largely out of print and difficult to find outside of emulation sites. Intellivision has game compulations on most of the major platforms for the last decade including the Nintendo DS which recreates the keypad on the touch screen. Even so, I'm sure most of the current generation is unfamiliar with these systems except as punchlines in episodes of South Park.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    When these episodes come out, I expect to see games that I've played but not everyone knows about. It's nice to see ones that even I have missed. Do a PSX/N64 one please!

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    E.V.O's weak point was that the actual combat was really clunky.

• Options
    revolverzanboltrevolverzanbolt Registered User new member
    I know you mentioned Soul Blazer in the video, so I'm not sure if you consider it more well-known than Terranigma because it got an American release, or if you're choosing Terranigma to represent the series as a whole, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone else mention Soul Blazer before, which is a shame because while it's not as amazing as Terranigma, I think it's still fantastic.

As for games you might have missed, Live-A-Live and Seiken Densetsu 3 were both fantastic JRPGs (Tactic and Action, respectively) which were never translated into English, but which can be played nowadays thanks to the wonders of fan translation.

Another World AKA Out Of This World and Flashback are both pretty awesome, although they might be a bit to well known to qualify for you.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    huh, the SNES version of Shadowrun was in among a pile of games I found at work a while back. I should give it a go, I think.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    rythterrythter Registered User new member
    Hey guys, I met james at PAX East and wanted to suggest a flash games episode, just because i want you to talk about the company of myself, PLEASE check it out, it is amazing, and a great example of storytelling in flash games.

• Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    My favorite shooter that alternates between topdown and sidescrolling has to be Axelay. My favorite RPG that none of my friends every seem to have heard of is Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals. I was also a sucker for Sparkster.

Glad to see Terranigma get some love.

• Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    Two thoughts about this episode--one practical, one mostly unrelated:

Practical: You folks asked for requests for sub-genres: There was a non-mainstream push for gaming systems (largely CD based) before the PS1 came out--of course this gave us say, the Sega Saturn, but it also gave us the 32x, 3DO, the ...CDI, I think? And I'm probably missing some. The prices of the consoles were ludicrous and the games were just weird (see: the pseudo-animated Zelda games for the CDI). I'd like to see an episode on games from that weird in-between era.

Mostly unrelated: So, the virtual console on the Wii (and 3DS? haven't tried it) is probably the most readily available source for older games that I'm aware of. But let's be honest, I'm not going to drop $5-10 on the majority of games in the shop. The odds are really high that I'd play it for 15 minutes, get frustrated and/or bored, and never play again. Would a subscription model a la netflix work on the virtual console or some related service? One thing I love about netflix (streaming) is that I can try random shows or movies for just 10 minutes, and if I don't care for it, I"m not out any extra money. I'd love to have that feature on the VC, and maybe the game publishers could make more money too.

• Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    Do Game Boy fat. Samurai Showdown was amazing!

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I would love to see a Nintendo 64 episode, mostly because the library of good games wasn't that large and not really filled with third party titles. I think it would be a great challenge to dig through the N64 library to try and find interesting games that few have heard of.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    NecroSprinklesNecroSprinkles Registered User regular
    Can we get a GYMNHT on old Gameboy games? Revelations: The Demon Slayer (my first MegaTen experience, when I was 10) is a really awesome Gamboy RPG that nobody really seems to know about. I have NO IDEA how my parents ever found it.

• Options
    Plaid ChocoboPlaid Chocobo Registered User new member
    Good selection of games. Here are some more hidden jewels: Brandish, Big Sky Trooper, Equinox.

• Options
    DigibroDigibro Registered User new member
    I can't believe in all my research on action-RPGs I've never even seen mention of EVO. It looks really cool, definitely gonna play it!

• Options
    cxsanchezcxsanchez Registered User regular
    I don't know why Shadowrun is always up for debate. The SNES game has a lot of cybepunk style, I give you that, but the Genesis version is one of my all-time favorite games. It is almost like playing the RPG, with three different ways to develop your character (Samurai, decker and Shaman; the SNES version just gave you one), a huge world that you can keep playing even if you finish the original storyline, there's even an additional mission for those who stay. All that, and the best depiction of the Matrix seen in ANY Shadowrun game.
    PD: Yes, I DO like the Shadowrun PC game. It's a innovative FPS that only bombed because it was tied to Directx10 and upgrading to Vista.
    PD2: Can't wait for Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Online.

• Options
    FortuanFortuan Registered User new member
    Totally excited to see E.V.O. on there and didn't know about the human thing

• Options
    AdmiralMemoAdmiralMemo Trekkie Extraordinaire Baltimore, Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    DOS games could be a good topic. I love me some Locus, personally, but no one seems to have heard of it.

• Options
    CommieCowboyCommieCowboy Registered User new member
    Warsong, Uncharted Waters 2, and Shadowrun (Genesis) are among my favourites of all time, though Langrisser 2, Der Langrisser, and Langrisser IV (which are require ROM translation) are sequels and mechanically much stronger games than Warsong. Shadowrun SNES has a great atmosphere, but I got stuck years ago playing it in ZSNES. I'll give it another shot. Terranigma kicks ass too. Definitely, the best in the trilogy, though I also strongly recommend both Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia for anyone looking for engaging, somewhat unorthodox ARPGs. Great video from my favourite era of gaming.

• Options
    HyperMetalixHyperMetalix Registered User new member
    If I could make some suggetions for my favorite Sega games which I think are unsung classics...

Rocket Knight Adventures

Sub-Terrania

Puggsy

• Options
    silentragesilentrage germanyRegistered User regular
    Good episode!
    I'd like to suggest an episode about Sega Saturn games. :)

• Options
    CerraxCerrax Registered User regular
    UN SQUADRON!! I'm so happy EC mentioned this game! Picked it up out of a bargain bin about 15 years ago for like $2 and got one of the greatest shmups of all time! Terranigma I never found as interesting as Illusion of Gaia or Soul Blazer. E.V.O. sounds freakin awesome though. Gonna have to try that one.

• Options
    srobbinssrobbins Saint Paul, MNRegistered User new member
    I'd love to see a selection of Game Boy games. Ones that really took advantage of what I Game Boy was capable of (or rather, were better at masking what a Game Boy <i>couldn't</i> do).

• Options
    8BitBrian8BitBrian Registered User new member
    I would love to see what you guys have to say about the N64 Era, personally. I would also love to see 16 bit part 2, because I only knew of a couple of these games. Terranigma <3 oh god that game is amazing.

• Options
    jipostusjipostus FinlandRegistered User new member
    I'd love to see Amiga games you might not have tried... Because Amiga is one of the best platforms of past years, which had it's moments, but got swept under the rug...

• Options
    AjskorpAjskorp Registered User new member
    Oh man, Terranigma. Definitely one of my favorites. Also I'm not entirely sure if it counts, but Sega Genesis' Beyond Oasis is another good Action RPG.