As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Android/Iphone/Ipod versions

crash1001crash1001 Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Penny Arcade Games
We haven't really heard much about these versions of the game.
I would really like to know prices and what differences it will have to PC and Xbox versions.
I want the android version because it'll be portable so I really want to know more information about.

crash1001 on

• crash1001crash1001 Registered User regular
    Also, I want to know if it will be compatible with all android versions.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    We don't have any details to give about those versions of the game. When we do, we'll make an announcement.

• jonathanmichaelsjonathanmichaels Archduke of Levity Registered User regular
    Will the first two chapters be available for iOS?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Zeboyd has nothing to do with the first two games, and as far as I know HotHead isn't touching them anymore.

steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2012
    The games DID get re-released when the app store launched on desktop Macs, but that was probably an easy port job from the PC version. Considering that the first two episodes didn't sell very well (although apparently they sold well on Macs), I doubt they're going to hire another developer to port the games to mobile devices.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I can't speak for the previous two RS games. All I can say is that TinkerHouse Games (who we're working with on ports) has done, IMO, a great job with CSTW's iOS versions (which will be coming out soonish; it's out, some people are reporting crashing, others are saying the controls are a little too sensitive - update coming soonish on those fronts) and if they do an even better job on Rainslick then you can expect the iOS versions (and presumably the Android vsns) will be feature-complete and look and run pretty good.

Will it support *all* Android versions? I'm not sure, as I'm less knowledgeable about Android, but I do know that Tinker's doing the best they can to support as many iterations of Android and Iphone as they can.

slash000 on
    edited July 2012
    Any updates on the mobile versions? I got a fancy iPad with its super resolutions, so this would be a nice way to use it.

You are working on ridiculous resolutions for your SNES style game, right?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    No new news yet. TinkerHouse is working on the port and progress is moving along.

I haven't seen the builds of RS3 on mobile yet though but I can only assume that they plan to leverage only highest resomolutions.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    slash000 wrote: »
    No new news yet. TinkerHouse is working on the port and progress is moving along.

I haven't seen the builds of RS3 on mobile yet though but I can only assume that they plan to leverage only highest resomolutions.
    Are you sure that's wise?
    http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/04/02

steam_sig.png
    Looks like cthulhu saves the world came out on phone, so perhaps not much longer.

Well we don't have a specific time frame yet, but yes, our partners TinkerHouse Games are working really hard to get RS3 up on iOS/Android/Mac right now.

• broccolibroccoli Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Been almost 2 weeks since last update, any news? I don't mind if it'll take awhile, but not having a date to look forward to is kinda annoying ;)
    (plus I watched my buddy play some on the Xbox the other day, and it looked really cool, but I'm traveling all month, so Xbox isn't an option, and my laptop is Mac)

broccoli on
  • mikeatsumikeatsu Snarf Registered User regular
    I too am chomping at the bit...I have been on vacation waiting for this game to release on iOS and take my money. I'm confused why we don't even have a release date or why they weren't released at the same time. I'm just a crazed fan wanting to play...badly!

Hey guys,
    I can sorta answer your questions. The iOS/Android versions weren't released simultaneously with the PC/XBox versions because the iOS/Android/Mac versions are developed by taking the C#/XNA game code/assets and porting them to Unity, which is then used to produce the iOS/Android/Mac versions of the games. Since it takes some time to rewrite the code in Unity and tweak the assets to function well on those environments, those versions weren't able to be released at the same time as the initial launch. Also, we don't have a set time frame yet because, well, because of the nature of this type of thing and the multitude of platforms and devices to support, it can be a little hard to nail down an exact date projection.

Hey guys,
    I can sorta answer your questions. The iOS/Android versions weren't released simultaneously with the PC/XBox versions because the iOS/Android/Mac versions are developed by taking the C#/XNA game code/assets and porting them to Unity, which is then used to produce the iOS/Android/Mac versions of the games. Since it takes some time to rewrite the code in Unity and tweak the assets to function well on those environments, those versions weren't able to be released at the same time as the initial launch. Also, we don't have a set time frame yet because, well, because of the nature of this type of thing and the multitude of platforms and devices to support, it can be a little hard to nail down an exact date projection.

Really appreciate you taking the time to give an explanation and update!

• CytheriaCytheria Registered User new member
    edited August 2012
    looking forward to android version,Conquer monsters in mobile game monsterology and hunt for the loots with your friends in multiplayer mode.

Cytheria on
  • broccolibroccoli Registered User regular
    Cytheria wrote: »
    looking forward to android version
    Same. Been traveling too much lately for Xbox version to be practical :(

I love how this thread randomly springs into life.

edited July 2012
    Aaaaaaahhhhh! There is already upcoming DLC for XBL?? I'm starting to feel the balmy residue of iOS/Android vaporware. I was so looking forward to playing this over summer break, which soon comes to an end :( As historians and fans of the industry I thought at least Mike and Jerry would make sure this type of debacle would be avoided in their own house. Tycho hasn't even given an "official" update on the front page. Maybe my anger is misdirected...come on Tinkerhouse, it not like you got the code yesterday! (Gets off soapbox, sits back down in chair, covers face in hands and sobs bitterly)

mikeatsu on
  • CTMCTM Registered User regular
    because the iOS/Android/Mac versions are developed by taking the C#/XNA game code/assets and porting them to Unity, which is then used to produce the iOS/Android/Mac versions of the games

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why they are not going the same way the Bastion guys did? That is, taking MonoGame and extending it (and probably modifying their own code slightly) so that the original code works on multiple platforms (at least OSX and Linux)? I guess since you're not in charge of the port you may or may not know their reasoning, but I'm curious about their reasons.

edited July 2012
    Not sure if Mono works as well on Android+iOS+Mac or what.

Rainslick3 is still in development for these platforms though, no doubt about that.

slash000 on
  • MacksMacks Registered User new member
    I'm willing to hand over all my cash money for a portable version.
    Ok, a little of my cash money.
    Alright, I'll meet you half way with some of my cash money.

One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid and it makes me sad.
  • Crystal2112Crystal2112 Registered User regular
    I appreciate all the hard work and effort your porting team is doing. It's nice to know that they're working to make a great, accurate port of the game, unlike a lot of ports which are just rushed out the door without any effort put into them.

I loved playing the PC version of Episode 3, and I can't wait to get my hands on the Android port.

• CTMCTM Registered User regular
    Not sure if Mono works as well on Android+iOS+Mac or what.

The Mac port of Bastion was made using MonoGame (though they modified it in-house I think). I have no idea about the support for mobile devices (probably none? I guess it targets architectures which support .NET/XNA). Makes sense then they would port to Unity so they can target all other platforms. Thanks - now I feel slightly stupid since I probably could've reached that conclusion by myself if I had just spent some time thinking about it :S

• andsoitgoesandsoitgoes Registered User regular
    I'm seriously looking forward to this now. Knowing that I need no history with the prior 2 games, I somehow never got around to playing them for WHATEVER reason and don't play enough on the xbox to start now, but the second this launches, I'm on it like white on rice.

So.... I want it. Make it happen. Get a whip, poker, anal nitrate (as either a threat or a reward, not sure of the THG staff and their sexual orientations. You could bring in some rabbits, flashlights, whatever it would take.

edited August 2012
    ...Sigh... school has started and so my free time has gone. A part of me has died. Hope this comes out in time for Christmas break, but let's be honest...

mikeatsu on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    The ports are still being worked on. When they're done and have been approved for release, we'll let everyone know.

mikeatsu wrote: »
    ...Sigh... school has started and so my free time has gone. A part of me has died. Hope this comes out in time for Christmas break, but let's be honest...
    Please don't do this. I'm sure Zeboyd wants the ports out as fast as anyone, and the melodrama is not necessary.

YL9WnCY.png
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Glad to hear the iOS version is still planned. Can't wait to play it!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    Apparently It comes out this October.
    That's good.