As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new STEAM Thread!

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    Dahkath wrote: »
    Hyperion wrote: »
    Guys.

Payday is amazing. I finally started playing it. Haven't even tried multi yet, just dicking around in single player.

How come no one ever talks about this game? :P

I had never heard of it till I saw the PA chat channel play it a few times. Looks like it's L4D combined with Heat, which makes my ears perk up. I've been looking into it the more I hear people say how great it is!

That's what I heard too, and I avoided it, mostly because I didn't like Killing Floor (another game people have championed here, but I just don't like. Sorry. Don't ban me). I finally played it today, though, and holy shit is it fun. Just a complete blast. Next time it's on sale, buy it. Trust me.

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    some super classy giveaways

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Hey.

Hey.

I see that Lawndart is being classy, and giving away Prince of Persia 2008. Now, I know that game got a lot of hate, and I'm not going to tell you that the critics are wrong; it's a flawed game. But, even though their points are valid, you know what?

Fuck those guys.

PoP'08 was a fine game. It told a fine story, and the dialog between the Prince and Elika was at times funny, at times touching, but nearly always believable and real. That's an accomplishment. And if you like climbing? This game's got you covered.

Not to mention, it's a stunningly beautiful game, the art direction was fantastic.
    And the soundtrack was inspired:
    It'll never be Sands of Time; few games can. But I loved the shit out of it all the same.

Ok, I'm done gushing.

Ehhhhh. PoP'08 is the only PoP game I've played, and it was mostly pretty good, except the ending. The worst ending I've ever seen in a game, like NES endings are better, including misspelled one screen crap endings.

Like...
    Ok, the girl sacrifices herself to undo what her father did. Makes sense considering that bringing her back to life was what caused the shit in the first place, but then the prince just goes and makes the same deal to bring her back again? What? Seriously? You just undid everything I did this whole game. Fuck you made things worse. Her father is dead, and you'll never find your mule full of gold now! Also she should pretty god damn pissed you did that; I'm sure she knew she wasn't going to make it out of this alive and was prepared to give her life to save everyone else. So all that romance that was building up? She should fucking hate his guts.

I realize there is DLC that has the real ending but, one the PC version doesn't get it, and really DLC for real ending?! Fuck that noise. Pretty decent game, worst ending ever.
    I'm pretty sure you're describing the DLC ending?

In the base ending, she stays dead I thought. The DLC was the episode where he makes the deal to bring her back and fuck up the ending really badly. The game is better without the DLC.

Nah.
    I played it on PC only, and the bringing her back to life was in my ending. But it seemed like a pretty optional ending to me. It only occurred if you stayed after the credits and performed the actions to redestroy everything.

While I think they should have let you leave the area so that that could be your ending, I think just ending the game after the credits works as an ending, too.

Also from what I've read of the DLC ending it does NOT fix anything and I'm fine without it.

I also don't think it's the worst ending ever, provided you don't take the actions that make it the worst ending.

Huh, I didn't even realize the game was giving you an option there. I'd almost take back what I said, but the game really didn't make it clear you had a choice or what you were doing was going to end with that result.
    Carrying her out of the temple as the credits rolled was well done, but I really had no idea he was carrying her out to an alter to make a deal with the devil. Apparently leaving her to rot was the more respectful choice.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Hey.

Hey.

I see that Lawndart is being classy, and giving away Prince of Persia 2008. Now, I know that game got a lot of hate, and I'm not going to tell you that the critics are wrong; it's a flawed game. But, even though their points are valid, you know what?

Fuck those guys.

PoP'08 was a fine game. It told a fine story, and the dialog between the Prince and Elika was at times funny, at times touching, but nearly always believable and real. That's an accomplishment. And if you like climbing? This game's got you covered.

Not to mention, it's a stunningly beautiful game, the art direction was fantastic.
    It'll never be Sands of Time; few games can. But I loved the shit out of it all the same.

Ok, I'm done gushing.

Ehhhhh. PoP'08 is the only PoP game I've played, and it was mostly pretty good, except the ending. The worst ending I've ever seen in a game, like NES endings are better, including misspelled one screen crap endings.

Like...
    Ok, the girl sacrifices herself to undo what her father did. Makes sense considering that bringing her back to life was what caused the shit in the first place, but then the prince just goes and makes the same deal to bring her back again? What? Seriously? You just undid everything I did this whole game. Fuck you made things worse. Her father is dead, and you'll never find your mule full of gold now! Also she should pretty god damn pissed you did that; I'm sure she knew she wasn't going to make it out of this alive and was prepared to give her life to save everyone else. So all that romance that was building up? She should fucking hate his guts.

I realize there is DLC that has the real ending but, one the PC version doesn't get it, and really DLC for real ending?! Fuck that noise. Pretty decent game, worst ending ever.

In the base ending, she stays dead I thought. The DLC was the episode where he makes the deal to bring her back and fuck up the ending really badly. The game is better without the DLC.

Nah.
    I played it on PC only, and the bringing her back to life was in my ending. But it seemed like a pretty optional ending to me. It only occurred if you stayed after the credits and performed the actions to redestroy everything.

While I think they should have let you leave the area so that that could be your ending, I think just ending the game after the credits works as an ending, too.

Also from what I've read of the DLC ending it does NOT fix anything and I'm fine without it.

I also don't think it's the worst ending ever, provided you don't take the actions that make it the worst ending.

Huh, I didn't even realize the game was giving you an option there. I'd almost take back what I said, but the game really didn't make it clear you had a choice or what you were doing was going to end with that result.
    Carrying her out of the temple as the credits rolled was well done, but I really had no idea he was carrying her out to an alter to make a deal with the devil. Apparently leaving her to rot was the more respectful choice.

Well I thought
    Leaving her out there, and then heading out into the desert was what he was going to do. I was immediately pissed off that the game offered the option of destroying the trees, and I just ended the game there. The credits had rolled; the game was already ended IMO.

I did, later, load my save to see what happens if you make the dumbest choice ever.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Hey.

Hey.

Fuck those guys.

Ok, I'm done gushing.

Like...

Nah.

For one,
    those credits aren't the credits. The actual credits don't play until after he brings her back to life. The achievement for beating the game doesn't pop until then, either, IIRC. It is not a choice, because you as a player are not in a position to choose her fate. The prince is, and he chooses the deal because he's super irrational with the love and whatnot.

For two, that certain special action is why I like the end of that game. It feels like something out of 1001 Nights. Haven't played the DLC, and if it wasn't for the 'to be continued,' I would've just taken the ending as the ending.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    Hey.

Hey.

Fuck those guys.

Ok, I'm done gushing.

Like...

Nah.

For one,
    those credits aren't the credits. The actual credits don't play until after he brings her back to life. The achievement for beating the game doesn't pop until then, either, IIRC. It is not a choice, because you as a player are not in a position to choose her fate. The prince is, and he chooses the deal because he's super irrational with the love and whatnot.

For two, that certain special action is why I like the end of that game. It feels like something out of 1001 Nights. Haven't played the DLC, and if it wasn't for the 'to be continued,' I would've just taken the ending as the ending.

But it was the dumbest thing ever. It's like there's absolutely zero reasons you can give for making that choice.
    Wanted to save her life because you love her? OK. Is that because you want to see her happy no matter the cost? But it won't make her happy, it will make her completely miserable. Is it because you want to be with her? You will never, ever be with her now, because she will hate you forever for doing this. Whether your reasons are selfish or self-less, there's no gratification for taking that action.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I mean I kind of respect them for having that in there, but I think just ending the game, cheevo or no, is a fine choice.

• Options
    Monger wrote: »
    Hey.

Hey.

Fuck those guys.

Ok, I'm done gushing.

Like...

Nah.

For one,

But it was the dumbest thing ever. It's like there's absolutely zero reasons you can give for making that choice.
    Wanted to save her life because you love her? OK. Is that because you want to see her happy no matter the cost? But it won't make her happy, it will make her completely miserable. Is it because you want to be with her? You will never, ever be with her now, because she will hate you forever for doing this. Whether your reasons are selfish or self-less, there's no gratification for taking that action.
    You don't have to agree with it! It's a character flaw! That's what makes characters interesting! The flaws!

Exclamations!

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    PoP2008 Ending
    It's clearly a selfish action. He wants to be with her. He knows the consequences. I haven't gotten through the DLC yet (damn you backlog) but he clearly thinks he can either outrun or otherwise deal with those consequences. He's not some shining beacon of light and playing through the game listening to his dialogue should make that clear.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    @TNTrooper turned my Nation red! Not by means of socialism, but by making everyone a mindless bloodthirsty zombie! Which I guess could be a metaphor for capitalism...whoa, this is getting deep....

• Options
    JAEF wrote: »
    PoP2008 Ending
    It's clearly a selfish action. He wants to be with her. He knows the consequences. I haven't gotten through the DLC yet (damn you backlog) but he clearly thinks he can either outrun or otherwise deal with those consequences. He's not some shining beacon of light and playing through the game listening to his dialogue should make that clear.

Man, it's not that it's selfish that's the problem.
    Selfish is fine. The problem is that if you really look at the choice it's not selfish because you don't get the selfish reward you were after. It's like, I dunno, stealing a million dollars from a charity to throw in the river. Where's the pay off?

• Options
    Just to clarify though I really really liked PoP 08.

• Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Shade wrote: »
    @TNTrooper turned my Nation red! Not by means of socialism, but by making everyone a mindless bloodthirsty zombie! Which I guess could be a metaphor for capitalism...whoa, this is getting deep....

It's a pretty fun game, you can lose a lot of time if you aren't paying attention.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    I beat Darksiders! My thoughts:

FUCK YEAH DARKSIDERS

• Options
    edited July 2012
    JAEF wrote: »
    PoP2008 Ending

Man, it's not that it's selfish that's the problem.
    Selfish is fine. The problem is that if you really look at the choice it's not selfish because you don't get the selfish reward you were after. It's like, I dunno, stealing a million dollars from a charity to throw in the river. Where's the pay off?
    The payoff is that she's alive. Maybe she hates him. Maybe they don't ever speak again. Maybe the world ends and everyone dies later. Including her. We can cross that particular corpse bridge when we come to it. The point is, at this particular moment in time, she's not dead, and that's about as far ahead as he thought.

Monger on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    signature.png

Congratulations to @Medium Dave for winning my Mirror's Edge Giveaway!

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    So I've been playing Spec Ops: The Line. I just hit the bit where The Horror achievement pops. Oh my lord. This is shit I never thought I'd see in a game.

They should have named it Apocalypse Next: Die Hardest in Dubai.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    My next giveaway will last until this time next week! Just like the previous giveaway! This might become a thing, because it's fun!

signature.png

Standard rules apply!

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Looks like I have another Trine 2 gift copy that I haven't gifted away yet.

for whoever might have missed it during the sale!

signature.png

• Options
    HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    So I've been playing Spec Ops: The Line. I just hit the bit where The Horror achievement pops. Oh my lord. This is shit I never thought I'd see in a game.

Is it good? Worth the buy?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Need a thread where I can go crazy with ideas.

Mount and Blade meets Jagged Alliance!
    Payday Meets Magicka
    Dynasty Warriors meets GTA...actually, I stole that last one from an interview with on of the Dynasty Warriors guys.

Get space rangers, randomly created universe with an encroaching army of robot flesh ships coming to kill you all. Really fun when their queen pops in to say high and you jump into that sector at level 1.

Did I mention that getting thrown in prison starts a text adventure game where you can win your freedom by raising the fastest racing cockroach you can?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    BigDes wrote: »
    Yeah Uplay is awful

Tried to play some Splinter Cell Conviction with a friend and Uplay consistently blocked us

@BigDes you may be running into the same problem I had with Conviction, I googled around at the time and the solution seemed to be that both players need to load up the single player game first then quit back to menu and start co op

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShiflettShiflett Registered User regular

I finished it yesterday, and I'd say it's well worth playing through for the story. Not so sure it's worth the amount they're asking for it for the actual gameplay.

Don't get me wrong it's good, but the gameplay isn't going to do anything you haven't seen before.

So if you enjoy an interesting and at times pretty fucked up story and are happy playing another cover based shooter then get on it! I guess the fact I played it all in a day shows I enjoyed it :)

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So I have not been in the thread much for the last couple days. The reason for that? Is mostly Might and Magic Clash of Heroes.

Stupid addictive puzzle games. You hurt me so much, but it is such a good pain.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Huh, I didn't realize the Cloaks of Skyrim mod was by our very own @Ashe. Great work! I wondered what you were doing in the creation kit all the time.

Hey, thanks! Yeah, fun little side hobby. I've been slacking on it for the last month or so, took a break after the latest release of it. I'm sure I'll get back to it soon, as the creative side is super-satisfying.

Also, have been busy for the last couple of days, so hadn't reposted this. Letting it run a little longer as there has been verrrry little interest. Sad times! Not many entries, so get puzzlin' as you stand a decent chance of winning something!

Usual rules apply - active members only please. Instead of first come, first serve, though, I'll accept all entries for a day or so and then random-number the winner from those who are correct. Less time-pressure to get 'em answered that way, and easier for those in a different time-zone than I to get involved. Also, there will be three rounds can I say one entry per round, please? Ideally it'd be great to have a different winner for each game. Anyway, enough of my babbling... You want anagrams, right? You want the occasional weird cryptic clue thrown in too? Well have at 'em!

1) Rat or owl meat - (Just one entry so far!)

2) Horny geese jolt nut - (...no entries)

3) Big Bopper's classic isn't about a pair of capitals - (a whopping two entries!)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »
    Yeah Uplay is awful

Tried to play some Splinter Cell Conviction with a friend and Uplay consistently blocked us

@BigDes you may be running into the same problem I had with Conviction, I googled around at the time and the solution seemed to be that both players need to load up the single player game first then quit back to menu and start co op

AH cool, will give that a try, thank you

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Prince of Persia '08 is amazing and I loved the ending. I thought it fit the Princes'character completely given
    throughout the game he's just wanting to leave. And since his relationship has grown with Elika he's not about to leave her dead. Pretty sure he mentions to her that there's gotta be another way too. Honestly we really needed a sequel to that game but people have terrible taste and get uppity when a plot doesn't go to plan :P

• Options
    edited July 2012

if thats the scene I think it is, I thought it got worse later on. That had shock value but I think the later bit really pushes you and your moral compass.

edit: thats not to say I didn't love every minute of it. It was brutally refreshing.

Also Sleeping Dogs is 30% off at greenmangaming.com going for a paltry £19.99. Steal at that price but you might be able to use a 20% voucher on Top of that too and there's also any credit you may have. This will be the cheapest you'll find it pre-release. I know Atleast @minor incident was looking to pick it up and there's sure to be others.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »

if thats the scene I think it is, I thought it got worse later on. That had shock value but I think the later bit really pushes you and your moral compass.

edit: thats not to say I didn't love every minute of it

Yeah, I've moved past that, hit the decision point right after it. I can tell this game is going to move into super fucked up territory real soon. It's already pushed the boundaries of what I've ever expected to see in a military themed game these days. They really deserve a lot of credit for this story. It's pretty gutsy.

But yeah the gameplay isn't going to show anyone anything new or innovative. It's all stuff you've seen before in squad based third person cover shooters. It's really solid though, everything performs like you expect it to perform. If you like story driven games, enjoy the style of gameplay and have a taste for the fucked up then I'd say it's worth a tumble if you can get a deal on it. It's not something I'd sacrifice for, it's great sale material.

Drake on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I started playing Arkham City. Like with Arkham Asylum, I don't care for the combat but everything else is good.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I started playing Arkham City. Like with Arkham Asylum, I don't care for the combat but everything else is good.

You are a terrible person.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Kainy wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    All right so I got 20 hours into Dead Island and I'm willing to change my opinion of "This game is kind of shit" to "This game is pretty good once you get enough perks and weapons with high enough durability to not repair every five minutes. Oh, and when you get the Stomp ability."

Have you been playing it in multiplayer? From what I understand that's a big part of the draw of the game... which I should really install one of these days.

You know, I'm not. Maybe that's a part of it. But it's getting better once I got enough good weapons that last a long while and I finished out my Combat-Gun tree so Guns now matter and I played the lady with bonus to guns too.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    Prince of Persia '08 is amazing and I loved the ending. I thought it fit the Princes'character completely given
    throughout the game he's just wanting to leave. And since his relationship has grown with Elika he's not about to leave her dead. Pretty sure he mentions to her that there's gotta be another way too. Honestly we really needed a sequel to that game but people have terrible taste and get uppity when a plot doesn't go to plan :P

I really enjoyed that game!
    I thought there was great chemistry between the player and Elika, and I don't mean because of their dialogue. Just going through the adventure together and watching her save my ass all the way through made me care more about the ending. And I thought it was pretty cool as is, a morbid/haunting conclusion where their bond was a more important resolution than the fate of the world.

Apparently there was DLC for the console version that extended the story, though.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote: »
    All right so I got 20 hours into Dead Island and I'm willing to change my opinion of "This game is kind of shit" to "This game is pretty good once you get enough perks and weapons with high enough durability to not repair every five minutes. Oh, and when you get the Stomp ability."

Have you been playing it in multiplayer? From what I understand that's a big part of the draw of the game... which I should really install one of these days.

You know, I'm not. Maybe that's a part of it. But it's getting better once I got enough good weapons that last a long while and I finished out my Combat-Gun tree so Guns now matter and I played the lady with bonus to guns too.

Dead Island is one of the few games where I was genuinely rooting for the zombies. The protagonists are dicks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    .Tripwire. wrote: »

I really enjoyed that game!
    I thought there was great chemistry between the player and Elika, and I don't mean because of their dialogue. Just going through the adventure together and watching her save my ass all the way through made me care more about the ending. And I thought it was pretty cool as is, a morbid/haunting conclusion where their bond was a more important resolution than the fate of the world.

Apparently there was DLC for the console version that extended the story, though.

• Options
    HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
    Shiflett wrote: »

I finished it yesterday, and I'd say it's well worth playing through for the story. Not so sure it's worth the amount they're asking for it for the actual gameplay.

Don't get me wrong it's good, but the gameplay isn't going to do anything you haven't seen before.

So if you enjoy an interesting and at times pretty fucked up story and are happy playing another cover based shooter then get on it! I guess the fact I played it all in a day shows I enjoyed it :)

Fucked up story sounds good :) I haven't played that many cover shooters. I think I'll hold for now because I recently bought Orcs Must Die 2.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Wonder if there's been something going on at Uplay. Just lost a couple hours progress in Heroes 6, and I know others have had recent save issues. Sort of killed my enthusiasm for the game at the moment.

• Options
    So vanilla just butchered my last post. Somehow deleted everything but the quote. Took me forever to write it too on the mobile.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I was fine with Prince of Persia's ending at the time, because I thought it was setting up a sequel and that direction could have been interesting. And then no sequel materialized. :(

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166