As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new STEAM Thread!

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Wonder if there's been something going on at Uplay. Just lost a couple hours progress in Heroes 6, and I know others have had recent save issues. Sort of killed my enthusiasm for the game at the moment.

So as someone completely new to AssCreed 2, I got prompted to join UPlay when I just fired it up. Let me guess, there's no way to proceed without joining, is there?

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Big thanks to @Lawndart ! He gifted me
    header_292x136.jpg?t=1277225887
    Trust nobody. Well, except the stop sign.

You're gonna love that. One of my favourite games ever.

• Options
    RoyceX7RoyceX7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    signature.png

Winner: @inzigna

signature.png

Winner: @shade

Enjoy guys.

RoyceX7 on
    Steam: RoyceX7

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Since everyone's discussing Prince Of Persia '08 and Spec Ops: The Line, I might as well remind everyone about round four of my Post Steam Sale Depression giveaway.

The theme this time is (still) Manly Men Doing Manly Things.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

• Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Rico is a man above men.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Wonder if there's been something going on at Uplay. Just lost a couple hours progress in Heroes 6, and I know others have had recent save issues. Sort of killed my enthusiasm for the game at the moment.

So as someone completely new to AssCreed 2, I got prompted to join UPlay when I just fired it up. Let me guess, there's no way to proceed without joining, is there?

Not that I know of. It's also part of the, if not the, reason why the AssCreed PC multiplayer community will never be as big/sustained as the consoles' which saddens me greatly.

Karoz on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    So over the last two days I've been restoring my Steam library. I got an SSD and a new 2TB drive to replace two 500GB drives. I also replaced Vista with Windows 7. I copied my Steamapps folder to the new drive and a good chunk of games were listed as incomplete and "Download paused." When I went to verify the integrity of the cache, it gives me that message about needing to convert the game to a newer, more efficient format. Interesting.

Also, does anyone know why so many games fail to validate completely when you move them to a new PC?

• Options
    Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    Hey, I would really like giving the Hitman giveaway a shot

Can I please, please, get an invite to the PAG&T group?

Also, playing the original Deus Ex via GoG as a HR warmup. Loving every bit of the story and the gameplay. Age shows though, the voice acting is hilariously bland, and the augmentations are fun but not that well balanced IMO.

Found a pretty fun bug on my way through, story spoilers ahead
    in the section you confrot gunther after leaving the subway i set up lots of LAM's on the wall, when he came towards me i retreated and the things exploded just as the dialogue started.

result: gunther goes idle, and all the UNATCO troopers waiting outside go idle too. (by idle i mean, green crosshair and they dont move or do anything). I had no problem in leaving the area, thanks to the strength aug. Its pretty weird out there (by weird I mean its the usual map only except completely empty NPC-and-prop-wise)/spoiler]

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Some hints for people new to Ys: Oath (from someone who is probably 2/3 of the way through it but struggled a bit at the beginning):

Raval Ore isn't very rare. Use it to upgrade your gear ASAP. Each piece of gear can only be upgraded twice, and you might not think the small amount of + stats matters much, but it really does. Along the same lines, buy new gear any time you have the money to. The pricing and the gold the enemies drop scale in such a way that there's a set of gear you're meant to have for each area, and you'll struggle if you don't have it. I tried to do the second dungeon without buying new gear and I just kept dying, but after getting new gear it was easy. Grinding for a level here or there also helps - a level's worth of stats is almost worth as much as the difference between an un-upgraded set of gear and a fully-upgraded set.

Fairly early on you'll get an item that lets you teleport to any save point from the menu. Once you get this you should never die in a dungeon. Expect dungeons to take a few tries to fully explore. When you get low on health just teleport back to the closest save point to restore your health and try again. Dungeons start to get pretty long quickly - if you're being cautious you can go for 30 min to an hour between save points, and if you die you lose all your progress so be careful.

Also be wary of getting stuck in a corner. Lots of enemies have attacks that can hit multiple times and if they knock you in a corner you might take 3 or 4 hits from one attack instead of one...and that hurts when enemies can do over 1/10 of your health in one hit. This is actually my biggest complaint with the game and the one thing that makes me think the game is cheap from time to time. Your invincibility period should be longer when you get hit, like at least half a second or so.

Also you can tap the spell button to rapid-fire. I didn't figure this out until after I beat the second boss, which I killed using one fireball at a time. Don't be like me.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I think it should be easier if you charge the fireball and fire it at the boss while dodging
    Anyway I thought the game was going to be a breeze until I got destroyed by the first boss repeatedly until I received that achievement

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I started playing Arkham City. Like with Arkham Asylum, I don't care for the combat but everything else is good.

What did you not like about the combat? And what combat do you consider good? I'm slightly puzzled as I thought the free flowing combat was awesome in that game.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    What did you not like about the combat? And what combat do you consider good? I'm slightly puzzled as I thought the free flowing combat was awesome in that game.
    I'm not a big fan of the combat myself. Though that's mostly because I just cannot seem to time blows correctly, and just end up mashing the button, which usually gets me killed horribly. I will fully admit that if I wasn't terrible, I would probably love the combat.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular

Well, if something somehow improves the Uplay experience, let me know. I was really enjoying AssCree 2. But I'm not willing to put up with my saves teleporting around time like it has a phone booth.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    Just caught this little guy on Reddit this morning, thought he should join us in good company.

JpIzx.jpg

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Woo! After two or three more tries I finally got the last story mission in GTA IV beat. Now I just need to finish up the extra stuff and the DLC.
    The only thing about that game I hated was the lack of in-mission checkpoints, but even then it was only a few missions that made it stand out. All in all, an awesome game. :^:

Now on to the question of what to play next...

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    ZebukielZebukiel Registered User regular
    Just caught this little guy on Reddit this morning, thought he should join us in good company.

JpIzx.jpg

A fine addition he shall make! This guy is awesome.. lol

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    heenato wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of the combat myself. Though that's mostly because I just cannot seem to time blows correctly, and just end up mashing the button, which usually gets me killed horribly. I will fully admit that if I wasn't terrible, I would probably love the combat.
    Combat in Batman is very rhythmic. Particularly in Arkham City, most animations are roughly on a set length or some multiple thereof. You're just hitting a button [when previous animation ends], which happens at pretty predictable intervals, and you have much more time than you might expect to counter before being hit or flat out wait before your combo expires. Basically, the key here is that you shouldn't be consciously paying attention to the timing of anything, because it's not strict and not that important. The more critical thing is that you pick the right move at each interval. In AA, the right move is always evade, with punches interspersed. Then combat takedown as soon as you have a special available. Outside of the occasionally useful ground pound and cape stunning knife guys, every other move exists only for variation bonus. AC is much more intricate. Counter if dudes are attacking you. Punch if they aren't. Disarm and destroy guns, prods, and shields ASAP. Batclaw gun guys to disarm them if you don't have a special. Combat takedown or beatdown armored dudes. Batarang dudes about to throw shit at you. Chain batswarm and beatdown on the one-armed dudes. Plus, loads of other situational stuff. It's a deep game.

That said, mashing the counter button isn't a bad idea when you're being attacked. It ensures that you don't miss a counter due to hitting the button early, and that you don't have to worry about missing multicounters ever.

Monger on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Ha, finally beat Psychonauts. It's great - apparently when the Steam version crashes it says something like "The Extremely Awesome Game Pyschonauts has encountered a problem" :D I tried to take a screenshot but it didn't work :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I get the feeling I should own Kings bounty.. Anyone here have a difference of opinion, or believe I'm a fool for not already owning it?

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    You're a fool

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Actually to be good in AC combat you have to not mash, the correct time is almost certainly a lot later than you think it is. If you aren't playing newgame+, you can counter as long as the visible warning is up. You have to press 2x if there are 2 of them, or 3x if there are 3 of them though.

There is a very easy strategy that gets you by 95% of the nonboss fights if you truely hate it, though it is a) boring and b) removes a lot of challenge (serious this can take a lot of enjoyment out)
    If you dodge over an enemy (double space) you can always hit an enemy near you with a regular punch freely (lclick) or go into a special takedown if you have the combopoints (E). The only exceptions are shielded and armored dudes (which you will hit but break the combo, shockstick dudes (which you can't attack from in front). If the game has several options on who to attack, it'll always choose a 'good' target (One where you don't break your combo).

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Zebukiel wrote: »
    I get the feeling I should own Kings bounty.. Anyone here have a difference of opinion, or believe I'm a fool for not already owning it?

I bought King's Bounty yeeeeaaars ago!

...still haven't played it.

• Options

I've owned it for a long while and never installed it. I have slowly been working my way through Heroes of Might and Magic V though. Once done with HoMMV I will start Kings Bounty.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    8 hours or so left on these.
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

• Options
    TreadLifeTreadLife CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    In Bulletstorm, it's already hard enough to get a balls skill shot as it is. But, I've been trying and failing to get one with the sniper rifle and failing every time. They always turn and run, which results in me either hitting their hip for a lame 10 point kill, or sometimes missing. Once I happened to get a rear entry skill shot, but still never the balls one.
    Anybody have some good advice for the harder skill shots?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    King's Bounty:AP has a demo but from what I remember the tutorial for it didn't do too good of a job explaining things.

• Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Just a quick bump: Only 2 hours left!

signature.png

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular

The current indie gala has King's Bounty: Armoured Princess in it. So, if you're interested, you can pick it up along with a bunch of other games for about $7.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Actually to be good in AC combat you have to not mash, the correct time is almost certainly a lot later than you think it is. If you aren't playing newgame+, you can counter as long as the visible warning is up. You have to press 2x if there are 2 of them, or 3x if there are 3 of them though.

There is a very easy strategy that gets you by 95% of the nonboss fights if you truely hate it, though it is a) boring and b) removes a lot of challenge (serious this can take a lot of enjoyment out)
    If you dodge over an enemy (double space) you can always hit an enemy near you with a regular punch freely (lclick) or go into a special takedown if you have the combopoints (E). The only exceptions are shielded and armored dudes (which you will hit but break the combo, shockstick dudes (which you can't attack from in front). If the game has several options on who to attack, it'll always choose a 'good' target (One where you don't break your combo).
    Unlike AA, the timing for counters in NG+ is identical to normal mode. The icon displays when they begin their approaching animation. In NG+, you just learn to look for the animation instead of the icon. In the first game, the icon displayed before any animation tell, and caused that a lot of problems in hard mode.

The autotarget is really good, though. If you're standing in the middle of a group of enemies (insofar as I remember):

-Quick batarang will always hit the nearest person about to throw something at you, even with the stick neutral.
    -Combat takedown will hit the nearest armored guy. Failing that, I believe it prioritizes weapon guys, swords in particular.
    -Disarm and destroy will hit the nearest weapon guy, and will become a combat takedown if there are no valid targets.
    -Cape stun will hit the nearest big dude. If there aren't any, it hits the nearest shield guy in range, to set up for an aerial attack. Armored guys are prioritized after that, for beatdowns.
    -Basic strikes avoid shield and prod guys, unless there is nothing else can be reasonably targeted.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    For the record, if you get the King's Bounty games, Armored Princess and Crossworlds are the same basic campaign. Crossworlds just has more stuff thrown in (new faction to recruit from, new items, spells, etc). Some purists prefer the balance AP provides but generally you only need to install one, don't need to waste bandwidth/HDD space on both.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Looks like there is a beta going on for Just Cause 2 multiplayer if anyone wants to try it out. The events only seem to last for 24h but there seems to be one almost every week.
    http://www.jc-mp.com/
    https://twitter.com/jc2mpdev

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Krummith wrote: »

The current indie gala has King's Bounty: Armoured Princess in it. So, if you're interested, you can pick it up along with a bunch of other games for about $7.

What actually just sold me on the indie gala bundle is Rig n Roll.. lol Thanks for the heads up @Krummith

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I think it should be easier if you charge the fireball and fire it at the boss while dodging
    Anyway I thought the game was going to be a breeze until I got destroyed by the first boss repeatedly until I received that achievement

That's right, there's a powerup for the fireball you can get before fighting the second boss. I recommend you find it before fighting the boss (unlike me).

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    I was fine with Prince of Persia's ending at the time, because I thought it was setting up a sequel and that direction could have been interesting. And then no sequel materialized. :(

I liked it better when the Pronce was actually a prince, and he fought for survival rather than honor.

• Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    Thanks @RoyceX7, many orcs will die in your honor!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    It's been said, it's even the title, but I can't stress enough how fun the King's Bounty games are. I remember playing the original on my Genesis as a little kid. I got the new ones when they were released, there's some changes to get used to, what with it being almost 20 years and all, but they're just as fun as the original.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    TreadLife wrote: »
    In Bulletstorm, it's already hard enough to get a balls skill shot as it is. But, I've been trying and failing to get one with the sniper rifle and failing every time. They always turn and run, which results in me either hitting their hip for a lame 10 point kill, or sometimes missing. Once I happened to get a rear entry skill shot, but still never the balls one.

Get in close, flick em into the air slow mo wise then just murder their nuts

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »

Unlike AA, the timing for counters in NG+ is identical to normal mode. The icon displays when they begin their approaching animation. In NG+, you just learn to look for the animation instead of the icon. In the first game, the icon displayed before any animation tell, and caused that a lot of problems in hard mode.

The autotarget is really good, though. If you're standing in the middle of a group of enemies (insofar as I remember):

-Quick batarang will always hit the nearest person about to throw something at you, even with the stick neutral.
    -Combat takedown will hit the nearest armored guy. Failing that, I believe it prioritizes weapon guys, swords in particular.
    -Disarm and destroy will hit the nearest weapon guy, and will become a combat takedown if there are no valid targets.
    -Cape stun will hit the nearest big dude. If there aren't any, it hits the nearest shield guy in range, to set up for an aerial attack. Armored guys are prioritized after that, for beatdowns.
    -Basic strikes avoid shield and prod guys, unless there is nothing else can be reasonably targeted.

Yeah the enemy selection is actually really good. In a melee of about 15-20 dudes, it (most of the time) knows which guy you're aiming for. If there's a guy at the back of the mob and he's readying a rifle, I can throw a quick batarang in that direction and be relatively assured that it'll be targeting him specifically. Likewise for special takedowns (although you generally need to be closer).

At which point it's all about deciding who your priority is and timing your attacks. Arkham Asylum / City made the combat look measured and awesome (because amongst other things, "Batman doesn't get hit"), but it doesn't require insane reflexes to pull off. The skill of the combat at that point is timing things so you can get a variance bonus in with all the <i>other</i> attacks at your disposal, because they tend to take a lot longer and leave you more open to attack, especially things like the grapple.

It's also really cool how three guys can move to take a swing at Batman, and he'll counter all three whilst making it look completely seamless. Although in the challenge maps, I have to say I think Robin looks cooler doing it.

Nightwing is... OK, but I'm just glad I got his DLC skin. Because "feels like I'm wearing... NOTHING AT ALL."

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The winnar of Splinter Cell: Conviction is... @Taramoor

I went back and forth on this one a lot, because @HiT BiT 's Bauer line was real good. Real good.
    And when I said the Bauer lines were irrelevant and just part of the conspiracy, that was part of the conspiracy, they were totally relevant.
    I would have accepted justice by law. But that was taken from me... by people like you. So you're right, I am judge and jury.
    But, much like Jack, you don't win. Unless. You want Bad Rats. Such is the closest Jack ever got to reward. (Seriously though, I feel bad. That is a good quote. I will grab ya something noice at Xmas. >:D )

Taramoor wins for his passionate speech about how rad Castlevania's SOTN changes were. And his Bauer quote was in video form;

One Gift Remains... but I'm taking a break, I'll up it tomorrow morning I think! ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TreadLife wrote: »

I believe the way I found easiest to do it was to not aim at them directly and shoot to the side, move the bullet into them and then you can catch them before they turn for nutshot, or the other end for rear entry.

50433.png?1708759015