As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Fitness Group [Meet up on Sunday at 1]

• Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    Ravenger wrote: »
    Hello again all. I've been busy busy busy busy, so I haven't been posting here as much as I should be. I've been going over employment and business opportunities, and an idea struck me. As a general idea, does an online personal trainer correspondance program sound like something you folks would be interested in as consumers? I've done it before with adequate success, but only on a small scale. I do know that it works, but there has to be a demand for it to be a viable method of exercise training. Thoughts?
    I do like the idea, but it would lack for a few things. You'd have a hard time getting the idea of the correct form, I find it easiest to have someone there to guide through the movements. Also, very nice to have the PT there to motivate you during your workout which would be rather hard to do.

If I were to provide detailed instructional videos do you think that would help, or is there not much that can be done about that gap. I do realize that it isn't quite the same ,but perhaps if my pricing is done with that in mind, the lower cost might be worth it to some individuals?

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    when i first started with getting myself interested in getting fitter, i went to youtube for help. I looked up exercises on youtube and tried to get the basic gist from there before doing it myself.

But I don't think that I would have been willing to pay money for it. Mainly because it's so regularly available for free. Then again, people go out and buy crazy workout dvds all the time. I myself have some 'walk at home' dvds that I use occasionally.

But I used the youtube and the videos primarily as gateways into going to the gym. Now that I'm going to the gym I don't use the videos much at all, because I have a trainer.

Now, if you could maybe do the instructional videos and make them accessible on an ipod that does video or ipad or things, maybe. nice and portable for people to take to the gym. Especially if your prices are decent.

But if I were going to the gym anyway, I'd probably be paying for a trainer or something. But it's worth maybe looking into slightly different directions.

• Options
    afeil117afeil117 Registered User regular
    *Once again preaches the glory of Crossfit.*

I am not a fan of gyms at all; I feel that I have only ever wasted money there. That changed when I joined the local Crossfit gym. They plan everyone's workout, and it is done in a class setting. It is kind of like a personal trainer, but with between 5-20 people. I never could have imagined how much more motivated it would have made me. The competition factor there helps a lot as well. Knowing what time, how many reps, what weight, etc. other people did can be very motivating.

Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Ugh, my bench press has been stuck at 110lbs for going on two months now. Is it really just a "be patient and keep trying" kind of thing? I've been adding in dumbbell bench press, chest fly, skullcrushers, dips, etc., but it doesn't seem to be having much effect. It's mostly frustrating because my squat and deadlift have continued to go up since I started barbell training in March, but my bench press stalled out almost immediately.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I love love love my gym. And my trainer.

I have never felt more welcome at any place than this. And from a girl who was almost 300lbs when i started the only thing I ever got was compliments and motivation. Random men who do body building at the gym coming up to me and offering encouragement.

This one island guy (and by island I mean like samoan/tongan/maori/other) came up to me right after i started, told me that he'd been noticing me for the last couple weeks and to keep up the good work.

Of course having a staff that was amazingly friendly and helpful was great too. And one of those staff has now become my personal trainer. but I get huge props from every single staff member there, and the others who also go to the gym. It is so opposite of everything that I have ever experienced, or even imagined a gym could be. Nobody is rude, nobody looks down on you.

In the little over a year of my going to the gym, I've lost about 30lbs, tightened up about 3 or so inches, and my overall fitness has just gotten so much better. Seriously, so much better. For me, personally, it's been one hundred times and more worth the money. Not to mention the added confidence boost.

ok, done gushing about my awesome gym now.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Talked to a personal trainer about getting set-up, discussed prices and everything was fine. Car engine broke to all hell. x.x Guess I'll be sticking to my current routine though 'Burn Phase' sounded like fun.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    afeil117 wrote: »
    *Once again preaches the glory of Crossfit.*

I am not a fan of gyms at all; I feel that I have only ever wasted money there. That changed when I joined the local Crossfit gym. They plan everyone's workout, and it is done in a class setting. It is kind of like a personal trainer, but with between 5-20 people. I never could have imagined how much more motivated it would have made me. The competition factor there helps a lot as well. Knowing what time, how many reps, what weight, etc. other people did can be very motivating.

I have to say there is something about someone motivate you that just works. I have been doing classes 5 days a week for power yoga and zumba, and I find I work harder and go more often than when I was lifting on my own.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    whoops. accidental double post

Ravenger on
  • Options
    So as of this week, I'm adjusting my diet in an attempt to ditch some body fat so that my Dhalsim cosplay at PAX is even more awesome. I was eating about the right amount to maintain before (while very gradually losing fat), and that was 4,000 calories or so per day. I miss bacon. And coconut milk. Dhalsim is worth it, though.

• Options
    I've adjusted my sleep schedule so I will once again be hitting the gym regularly. Prepare yourselves!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    AlikaAlika GoneCross Registered User regular
    Mogs wrote: »
    Ugh, my bench press has been stuck at 110lbs for going on two months now. Is it really just a "be patient and keep trying" kind of thing? I've been adding in dumbbell bench press, chest fly, skullcrushers, dips, etc., but it doesn't seem to be having much effect. It's mostly frustrating because my squat and deadlift have continued to go up since I started barbell training in March, but my bench press stalled out almost immediately.

I share your frustration. I can't seem to get past 225. So far I've tried to do a deload week and then come back into it switching from low-rep/high-weight to higher-rep/lower-weight and focusing more on triceps. Still not seeing the increase i'm looking for, but i recently did 80lbs on dumbbell bench for the first time. Still a work in progress.

It also worth noting your legs have a much higher potential for muscle gain then your chest. So don't get so discouraged that your squat and deads are increasing and your bench is not.

• Options
    ctiwolfctiwolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

Try adding 5 pounds and less reps. If you've been stalled at a weight and want to keep going up the ladder force the issue as you body get used to the weight and won't break down and get stronger after awhile. Good luck

ctiwolf on
  • Options
    You're in my sights, Bombchelle!

• Options
    RobogirlRobogirl Local Badass SeattleRegistered User regular
    vgc wrote: »
    Robogirl wrote: »
    I feel like this was mentioned briefly, but who all is going to run for your lives? My boyfriend and I are on the 11am wave.

We're considering just getting a cheap hotel room the night before, that way we don't have to deal with traffic(and waking up at way-too-early o'clock). If anyone else is interested in splitting the cost of a room, feel free send me a PM.

I might be interested in rooming with you. I don't run, but I signed up as a volunteer today. I think I'm a day late, but hopefully they'll accept my application. If it goes through, I'm all for staying in a motel the night before.

Cool, let me know. Though now my bf and I might be screwed and have to find a ride with someone else, since my car broke down.

Re: plateau on bench: how many sets and reps are you doing? When I was stuck doing DB biceps curls at 20 lbs, with 2x10 setsxreps, I switched to 25 4x5. It sucked for a while, but it just keeps getting easier. If not that, maybe try deloading?

Bit of a milestone for me, I deadlifted over my body weight for the first time ever(only 5 pounds over(165), but still). I'm sure I could do more if I was testing PRs/1RM. Kinda stoked about it.

Also, I've lost 2 inches off my waist in 25 days. Whoa.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I do 65x10 as a warm-up, then 8x90, 5x100, 3x110, 3x1x115 or 120, depending. It's a combination of both mental and physical hurdles I need to get over, I think. Congrats on the deadlift! I'm trying to get to 225 lbs on mine before PAX - it's going to be close.

Edit: not a super-hero

Mogs on
  • Options
    Ok, call me a bad sport if you must... but people doing things like 50 mile runs for 4300pts has made me lose all interest in the contest. There is no way I am competing with things like that. I say hats off to you all, and good luck, but I am out.

Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • Options
    yanthraxyanthrax boners bonersRegistered User regular
    3x1x1115 or 120, depending. It's a combination of both mental and physical hurdles I need to get over, I think.

who ARE you?

For people asking about good form, http://exrx.net/ is an excellent resource. Also for those looking for a place to start, stripped 5x5 and starting strength are all great resources.

• Options
    I do 65x10 as a warm-up, then 8x90, 5x100, 3x110, 3x1x1115 or 120, depending. It's a combination of both mental and physical hurdles I need to get over, I think. Congrats on the deadlift! I'm trying to get to 225 lbs on mine before PAX - it's going to be close.

Try doing less warm up reps, or ramping down the reps as you get closer to your working weight. like, try 10x65, 5x90, 3x100, 1x110, then 5x115-120. You're probably burning yourself out.

I just realized only the first ones were listed as warm ups, oops. Well, still, try doing less reps till you get up to your max. You'll still be warmed up, you're probably just tiring yourself out.

• Options
    vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I miss nearly a week of decent workout time due to a bad hip and going out of town for a weekend. I have to work twice has hard now to catch up to the people on top. It's gonna be hard to get back in the swing of things and we only have a month left. :( I started taking supplements, so hopefully that'll help me reach my weight and fitness goal.

vgc on
  • Options
    So my right shoulder offically REALLY messed up. I got an ultrasound and an MRI done on it, and the doctors couldn't see anything wrong. I have an appointment booked with an orthopedit for the 10th of august.... I am starting to get worried I will have to stop working out...

• Options
    cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    Ok, call me a bad sport if you must... but people doing things like 50 mile runs for 4300pts has made me lose all interest in the contest. There is no way I am competing with things like that. I say hats off to you all, and good luck, but I am out.

Sorry if it was my 50 mile run that made you feel that way... it looks like it barely moved me up a few positions and I'm sure I won't stay there for long. Looking at others workouts, it seems a lot easier to earn lots more points (and probably much better for one's body!) by spending just an hour or so every couple days doing a variety of activities rather spending an entire day running. Even if I could run a 50 miler once a week until PAX, I doubt that would keep me in the top 10. I look at all the weight lifting workouts and am all just like... *wow*.

• Options
    degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    Thank goodness for Smith Machines. I wasn't having a good and energetic day today but I have to do my chest/bicep routine. I knew I would fail if I do straight up bench press and incline bench press. So I decided to Smith things up just for today. Hopefully I'll get back into the rhythm of things next week.

• Options
    cbellevie wrote: »

Sorry if it was my 50 mile run that made you feel that way... it looks like it barely moved me up a few positions and I'm sure I won't stay there for long. Looking at others workouts, it seems a lot easier to earn lots more points (and probably much better for one's body!) by spending just an hour or so every couple days doing a variety of activities rather spending an entire day running. Even if I could run a 50 miler once a week until PAX, I doubt that would keep me in the top 10. I look at all the weight lifting workouts and am all just like... *wow*.

Sorry if that came of kind of bitchy and whinny... that really wasn't my intention. I just know that I am not realistically keeping up with the kind of workouts people are rocking out on there. Your's just happened to be the one that made my eyes bleed. I really am impressed with what people are doing here, and I am for sure following it, but trying to compete had gotten to the point of depressing, and I didn't think that is what the challenge was about... so I jetted.

Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • Options
    Is anyone going to run for your lives this weekend that would be willing to carpool? My original ride can't make it and I'm having no luck finding another one(my car might literally kill me if I drive it that far). My bf and I are in the 11am wave, but we can ride with people catching an earlier wave too. We can help with gas money, too.

On a more workout related note, I squatted a personal record of 120 tonight, which means I can squat my boyfriend!

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Wow, great job you guys. I think its facinating how in this thread you guys/gals are all about power lifting and 50 mile runs, and over in East we're just walking and eating right.

I thought you were the laid back coast! :-P

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    Is anyone going to run for your lives this weekend that would be willing to carpool? My original ride can't make it and I'm having no luck finding another one(my car might literally kill me if I drive it that far). My bf and I are in the 11am wave, but we can ride with people catching an earlier wave too. We can help with gas money, too.

On a more workout related note, I squatted a personal record of 120 tonight, which means I can squat my boyfriend!

Are you coming from Portland? Or Seattle?

• Options
    Gosh darn it, I thought I wrote it but apparently not. Seattle, south seattle specifically.

• Options
    Gosh darn it, I thought I wrote it but apparently not. Seattle, south seattle specifically.

Bah, I can't help you then. We're coming up from Portland. :(

• Options
    edited August 2012
    No worries mate. If you see a chick with a bunch of face piercings(5) with a red mohawk, come say hi!

I have a question for you guys regarding fitocracy. Logging warm up sets: yay or nay?

I never thought you should, and I don't think any of the logs I look at do(unless its a full set close to their working weight, maybe), and if they did log it, most user's weightlifting day scores would be easy 1,300+ a day, instead of the usual 600-900 I see.

Am I totally off base here and it's a common thing to log ALL of your warm up sets, including stuff you do with just the bar? If so I mourn all of the points I've lost because I thought it was customary to just log working sets.

Edit: I guess I'm the only one who finds it strange. Oh well. If anyone needs me I'll be mourning all the points I've missed. I don't think I'll start counting warm ups, though. I normally just copy it over to my fitlog on SA and it would be more trouble than its worth on my phone.

Robogirl on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Just saw this challenge on my local bootcamp page:

Farmer's walk -

Women: 10 lbs. = walk 2 miles with a 10 lbs plate in each hand
    25 lbs. = walk 1.5 miles with a 25 lbs plate in each hand
    35 lbs. = walk 1 mile with a 35 lbs plate in each hand

Men: 25 lbs. = walk 2 miles with a 25 lbs plate in each hand
    35 lbs. = walk 1.5 mile with a 35 lbs plate in each hand
    45 lbs. = walk 1 mile with a 45 lbs plate in each hand

Gonna try it on for size. You can use dumbbells and run (if you can). Rest as needed. It's also in the fitocracy database.

Update: This is pretty dam tough. Did the first mile with 25lbs and had gripping issues. Also logging them in Fitocracy is a bitch because you cannot log more then 500 ft per set for 'Farmer's walk'. So I end up logging 10 sets of 499' and 1 set of 290'. Stupid.

Alika on
  • Options
    I log warm up sets. >.>

• Options
    So, how successfully Ran for their Lives and survived? Any funny/scary stories about your runs?

• Options
    Anybody interested in doing the Tough Mudder in Seattle 9/29 - 9/30?

• Options
    I lost my final flag in the last mile of Run For Your Lives, but I was pretty much tackled by a zombie when it happened. Our group managed to get two of our three "survivors" through the last section before the finish by doing our version of a "flying V" (there may have been quacking...). It was a total blast, and I'm definitely doing it again next year.

• Options
    SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular
    No worries mate. If you see a chick with a bunch of face piercings(5) with a red mohawk, come say hi!

I have a question for you guys regarding fitocracy. Logging warm up sets: yay or nay?

Late to the party, but I do log my warmup sets. I figure if Fitocracy includes things like walking up the stairs instead of taking the elevator as legit points, then my light weights leading to heavy (or if I'm honest, heavier) weights should count for something as well. I'm in it... well, not to win it, but at least to compete, so I will add all the legitimate activities I can!

• Options
    I had a lot of fun at run for your lives! My bf and I, too, lost our last flags at the final area. A lot of people did, and complained about the zombies getting rough with them in that specific area. I don't know if they were instructed to do that, but it wasn't cool.

Also, I mentioned the tough mudder on fb, lamenting that it was so expensive and that I was so broke, and a friend offered to "sponsor" my boyfriend and I by buying our tickets. I hope she comes through because I'm stoked! It's definitely way out of my fitness level, but it looks so fun. Now I just have to convince the boyfriend, he's basically terrified of it.

• Options
    vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I'm glad that you and your bf made it to run for your lives, Robogirl.

• Options
    Alika wrote: »

If I had looked this up, and known about it earlier... you wouldn't be able to stop me. I want to do a Tough Mudder so much.

Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • Options
    Alika wrote: »

I made a comment on Facebook lamenting how expensive tough mudder is because it looks so fun, and a friend offered to "sponsor" me AND my boyfriend by beuying us tickets in.

I'm nowhere near as in shape as I need to be for it, but it looks like a blast. I have a month and a half+ to prepare. I added some lat pulldowns and dips to my SS routine. I have to do pretty heavy assisted dips because they hurt my shoulder. I also did a mile farmer's walk with 10 lb plates. Was going to do 2, but my phone died.

• Options
    Double posting because I like reading this thread, and it's been dead for a few days.

I've been having a lot of problems with my feet splitting open and getting hot spots&blisters after about a mile of running(especially trail running), and I asked about it on a different forum I go on. I was advised that I should get better socks(moisture-wicking), body glide, and maybe new shoes. Considering I was running in super cheap Ross shoes, I decided to do all 3 and it made a world of difference. I am pathetically in love with my shoes now, and I'm stoked to go running today(it's the big c25k jump from 8 minutes running to 20 minutes). Hopefully they hold out over a longer distance, but I'm feeling good about it.

This discussion has been closed.