As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] SchlitzKrieg Curated Seattle Beer Tour - Got Photos?

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    You'd be surprised at how long it takes to make a pretzel in Photoshop.
    LiterallyHitler.jpg

Just a really rough WIP. Feel free to annihilate it with criticism. (Yes, I do have a massively huge hi-res one if needed)

Gonna start working on the tanks and all that prolly tomorrow along with further tweeking of the logo to shrink down its use of vertical space. I'd like to incorporate it with the tanks and all that.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    That's pretty awesome.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Love the typefacing, and I can get behind the pretzel + lightning motif.

Really needs the tanks though.

Possibly fun idea, we can break down into teams based around Rommel's Afrikakorps and Patton's 3rd Army. I suppose with our British contingent, we could do Monty's 8th Army as well.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Love the typefacing, and I can get behind the pretzel + lightning motif.

Really needs the tanks though.

Possibly fun idea, we can break down into teams based around Rommel's Afrikakorps and Patton's 3rd Army. I suppose with our British contingent, we could do Monty's 8th Army as well.

Oh yeah, it definitely needs the tanks but I hit a nice stopping point and if I started working on the tanks I'd have been up till like 5am. I get kinda obsessed when I start working on a design. :lol:

wWuzwvJ.png
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    As part of the British contingent I'd prefer to be attached to the 79th Armoured Division than be a Desert Rat!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • saveriansaverian Registered User regular
    Cheers for the beer map, that'll come in handy.

I love stouts, very dark and strong especially, what's the likelihood of finding stuff like that? I know it was mentioned that Seattle's an IPA city *shudder* but I've never visited America before and know very little about your beer beyond the horrific commercial stuff you export over here :P

edited June 2012
    Ignore that commercial stuff, it's pee water.

Lucky you, PAX Prime happens in Seattle where there is an AMAZING brew scene. There are some extremely respectable stouts around. Check out the websites (shown on the map detail), but call ahead to some of the smaller breweries to confirm what they've got on hand - many do single batch or seasonal brews.

Cheers!

LexiconGrrl on
  • courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    The National Homebrew Conference is in Bellevue this year. It's Pro-Brewer's night tonight so I'll be sampling from many of our tour stops and other fine local breweries.

http://www.ahaconference.org/events/pro-brewers-night/

Yeah, I accidentally bumped into the swarm at the Naked City yesterday while looking for lunch... :)

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    BombClancy wrote: »

I can even give you guys a task if you want to: we need to see if the new route from the Silver City Brewery to the Bremerton Ferry Terminal will accomodate a school bus; if there are any crazy streets or too-tight-turns that the bus couldn't make. Let me know if anybody wants to check it out!

The route is very simple and does not include any tight roads or turns. In fact, the ferry terminal area is very bus friendly.
    The breweries themselves though have limited parking. I know that Silvercity, you will be parking in the mall lot which isn't a big deal.

There's actually a very specific scenic route that needs to be scouted for the leg between the Bremerton Silver City Brewery and the Ferry Terminal. I know the area pretty well but haven't driven this exact route with an eye toward how to get a bus through. Send me a PM if you're interested in checking it out and I'll send you the directions.

EDIT: I did just walk though it using the Google Maps street view and it looks okay, but it'd still be nice if someone drove it to be sure. Note that it's between the actual brewery location on Auto Center Way (not the restaurant at the Mall), down past the shipyards and accessing Burwell from the South.

@LexiconGrrl - What part of this route are you concerned about, scenerywise? I ask only because it might be marginally easier to take a right up Warren, then left on 11th, meet up with Kitsap Way...rather than go down Burwell. The Burwell/Callow intersection is probably doable, but may be a bit tight...it's not really set up to handle large vehicles heading in that direction.

If you were going to head down Burwell, honestly I'd head south on Callow, hit the freeway heading north from there, that'll take you down along the line so folks can gawk at the ships. Can't really see shit from Burwell. Then you basically just hop on and right back off the freeway at Auto Center Way, left over the freeway, right on Auto Center, and you're there. Time difference is minimal; you're avoiding a pretty big potential clusterfuck on Kitsap Way/6th/etc.

I haven't been to the brewery, only the pub, so I'll almost certainly join you guys down there if possible. Should be cool.

edited June 2012
    Basically, I recommend this route.

Alternately, this route.

Note that the second route is, at the moment, blocked due to construction (on 11th). I think. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: The second route, construction willing, is better for traffic/drivability. The first is better for scenery.

mcdermott on
    edited June 2012
    mcdermott wrote: »

Alternately, this route.

Note that the second route is, at the moment, blocked due to construction (on 11th). I think. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: The second route, construction willing, is better for traffic/drivability. The first is better for scenery.

Route 1 is pretty close to what I'd like to take, except that we'll be going the other way. We'll be going from the brewery to the ferry, so I was thinking Loxie Eagans, Right on National, Down the Hill, Left onto Charleston Beach, and that would dump us out right at the big aircraft carriers along the shipyard docks so everyone could get a good look, then along Navy Yard Highway to Burwell and onto the ferry.

EDIT - you'll be amused to know that when we drove it a week or two ago, we ended up in Gorst, which is my BF's nemesis. Every time he's tried to visit me in Kitsap he ends up stuck in Gorst. GOOOOOORRRSSSTTT!!!!!

LexiconGrrl on

Alternately, this route.

Route 1 is pretty close to what I'd like to take, except that we'll be going the other way. We'll be going from the brewery to the ferry, so I was thinking Loxie Eagans, Right on National, Down the Hill, Left onto Charleston Beach, and that would dump us out right at the big aircraft carriers along the shipyard docks so everyone could get a good look, then along Navy Yard Highway to Burwell and onto the ferry.

EDIT - you'll be amused to know that when we drove it a week or two ago, we ended up in Gorst, which is my BF's nemesis. Every time he's tried to visit me in Kitsap he ends up stuck in Gorst. GOOOOOORRRSSSTTT!!!!!

Oh, shit, you're going the other way. DUH.

Yeah, easy mode. The National->Charleston is probably the only real PITA intersection there.

Also, fuck Gorst. You're lucky if you only get stuck there. If you're unlucky it kills you.

Also, fuck Gorst. You're lucky if you only get stuck there. If you're unlucky it kills you.

What, you don't Like Toys Topless? That place is pure class.

Oh man, I've heard it's as bad inside as out.

Hey everyone! I went down to Epic Ales yesterday and talked to Cody. His beer is really interesting, especially if you like dry sours like traditional lambics. They've got a tiny brewing operation and an amazing space in another part of the building for our visit, with a bar that's a giant model of an old sailing ship. I think everybody's really going to like it.

However, their gastropub remodel has been stalled by city permitting delays and it looks like it won't be ready in time for the tour. The stop will still be a beer and food pairing with additional food for purchase if you want, but the food will probably be simpler, like a charcuterie plate, and few options since their full kitchen won't be available.

Also, we're getting close to the part where Tshirts have to be ordered if we want to have them as prizes. If anybody has a finished, photo-ready graphic that they'd like to share with the group as a possible Tshirt, please post it to the thread. I'll probably get around to ordering them in the next couple of weeks.

Option 1 - Print 10 Shirts
    Split the up into 3 teams of 10 each, and the winning team gets the shirts based on total number of accumulated achievement points. In the event of a tie, I say we have a giant Rochambeau tournament to determine the winning team. The other 2 teams get nothing, because 10 shirts cost money.

Option 2 - Print 3 Shirts
    Work the achievements bingo style for individuals to win. Everyone gets a prize of some sort. First, Second, and Third place get a shirt, and everyone else gets other, simpler prizes.

• courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    I figured something was up with Epic because he cancelled all tours and participation in NHC at the last minute.

• SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

Option 1 - Print 10 Shirts
    Split the up into 3 teams of 10 each, and the winning team gets the shirts based on total number of accumulated achievement points. In the event of a tie, I say we have a giant Rochambeau tournament to determine the winning team. The other 2 teams get nothing, because 10 shirts cost money.

Option 2 - Print 3 Shirts
    Work the achievements bingo style for individuals to win. Everyone gets a prize of some sort. First, Second, and Third place get a shirt, and everyone else gets other, simpler prizes.

I vote for option 1 because it seems like it would encourage camaraderie. I'd be willing to chip in a few more dollars on wepay for option 1 (though I may be alone in that). Except the Rochambeau.... F that. Tiebreaker is a game of taboo or catchphrase: to prove how well the team has mind-melded as a drunken mass.

SquirrelOnFire on
    F that. Tiebreaker is a game of taboo or catchphrase: to prove how well the team has mind-melded as a drunken mass.

HA!

• Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    so, is there an idea on what time the tour is going to be starting on monday? :)

i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
    At this point, it's looking like the bus will depart the Sheraton promptly at 8:00 AM in order to make the ferry. First stop is at 9:30 am.

WHO'S READY FOR MORNING BEER!?

>Makes a note to bring some energy drinks and some Excedrin for that morning.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Yes... That would be the 'asscrack of dawn' as mentioned in the housekeeping PM a month back. :shock:

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I so want the bus to pull over on I-5 and let me on vs. going downtown. :D 8 am is going to be so early but I promised to behave myself this year so I'll be not hungover yet ready for 9:30am beer!

ufq9gj8383nh.png

As I'm getting up at 4:30 am most mornings cos I'm volunteering at the Olympics 8:00 is almost lunch time!

@vespachica - you could meet us on the Edmonds ferry. Let's talk offline if that's an option for you.

edited August 2012
    Okay gang, we've got three weeks till BEER MONDAY and a question has come up that I'd like feedback from you about.

Baron Brewing, the last stop on the list, recently sold their brewery to Annhauser-Busch. The original brewers still own the brewpub that we planned to visit, but their house beers are now being made by AB; the recipes haven't changed since the brewery was sold. The pub is on the same intersection as the Naked City, where we'll be at that time anyway.

So the question is: To include on the tour or not?

@AltDelete
    @Crispy262
    @Saldek
    @TOGSolid
    @JobiWanKenobi
    @LewieP'sMummy
    @LewieP'sDaddy
    @ArcticLizard
    @BlackDragon480
    @Baka AI
    @Optimusbry
    @SquirrelOnFire
    @Mister Gloomby
    @VanVagabond
    @Hybrys
    @courtneyj
    @redhalo
    @EruditeAphrodite
    @HotSake
    @Irikah
    @Creamsteak
    @VespaChica
    @agraves
    @Xenocide Geek

LexiconGrrl on
    I have no strong feelings either way - I know this is supposed to be a microbrewery tour, but we can't help that one of our stops has sold out to AB. If the beer is still the same, does it matter greatly?

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Provided the recipes haven't deviated and the original brewers have some say over QC on the product, than I certainly don't mind if they've sold to AB/InBev and would like to see them added. Then again, I'll almost never say no to more beer.

Most times, unless some extremely unique steps/processes are called for (as they are with lambics or trappists), any microbrew can be bumped up to industrial scale without a significant change in quality.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    AltDelete AutoComplete Form:

Is there beer [x]

Is the beer good [x]

Total Score: 2 - Go There

• VanVagabondVanVagabond NorthWestern BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'd be up for it still. There's probably time to make a change if it was absolutely neccesary, but I don't think this is really an issue, and doesn't warrent the hassle. Maybe switch them out for next year, though, and keep the focus on the smaller, lesser known and available, independent guys? Then again, if I find a beer on this tour that I really like, and might be able to come across outside of Seattle as well, that wouldn't be such a bad thing either.

• CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    I'm all for all the things.

• CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    Also I'm not certain from the main post where we go to start?

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Okay gang, we've got three weeks till BEER MONDAY and a question has come up that I'd like feedback from you about.

Baron Brewing, the last stop on the list, recently sold their brewery to Annhauser-Busch. The original brewers still own the brewpub that we planned to visit, but their house beers are now being made by AB; the recipes haven't changed since the brewery was sold. The pub is on the same intersection as the Naked City, where we'll be at that time anyway.

So the question is: To include on the tour or not?

I know it's not my say, but I kinda have some experience with AB/Inbev, so I can tell you this: They've been slowly buying up microbreweries to diversify their holdings. AFAIK, they try to change very little about it, it's really just a way of holding market. (although after the Inbev buyout, things may have changed, but that's the way it was just a few years ago.) In some cases around here they even kept the same staff (just basically bought the brand.) They don't want to piss off the customer base they're trying to purchase! YMMV and if @Lexicongrrl is actually talking to the brewers in this case, she'd likely know more.

edited August 2012
    @Creamsteak - the specific starting point and time aren't posted to the OP because sometimes people don't read things entirely and it would be sad for me to tell someone who showed up that morning thinking they could just hop on the bus that they couldn't come. I'll send out specific details to everyone via PM and email a week or so before PAX. Suffice to say that the bus leaves promptly at 8:00 AM.

@tsrblke - you're correct. If anyone has watched the documentary Beer Wars, it's a little dated but does illustrate nicely the techniques that AB uses to maintain a majority control of the market. In this case, I'm inclined to keep them on the tour. It's a convenient stop and the only recipe change is that they switched out their bacon beer for a dark lager, which was something they should have done years ago, IMHO.

LexiconGrrl on
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    @tsrblke - you're correct. If anyone has watched the documentary Beer Wars, it's a little dated but does illustrate nicely the techniques that AB uses to maintain a majority control of the market. In this case, I'm inclined to keep them on the tour. It's a convenient stop and the only recipe change is that they switched out their bacon beer for a dark lager, which was something they should have done years ago, IMHO.

I live in St. Louis, We basically live the documentary, it is my town! (Well "was" may be more accurate.) Years ago, one of my old neighbors was one of the VP's of marketing at AB, our block parties always had tons of beer, and one year we got a preview DVD of the Superbowl commercials!
    If I were going on the tour (and I would if it were on a different day! D'oh!) I'd vote to keep it. AB doesn't usually kill a brewery until they try to expand it well past it's production ability (i.e. take a brewery super-regional that wasn't ready to be scaled up that much.) I think they've stopped to doing that. They haven't killed Goose Island yet, (although they did a damned number on Landshark, but it wasn't a great beer to begin with.) They learn...slowly.
    Even the national movement for Shock Top worked out OK (IMHO). In this case, the purchase is fairly recent, I doubt anyone would have even realized if they hadn't been told.

Sorry to jump in thread, but I thought I'd weigh in since AB strategy, brand buying, and what not is actually dinner conversation around these parts. (Still.) We may not be the craft brew capital of the world, but we still love to discuss our beer and business.

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Dammit. It's BudHook all over again. :( That said, I'd still be happy to drink moar beer and changing the stop right now would probably be a major PITA so my vote is to just keep it in.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Wait, I have two ginormous Baron Brewing steins at home... Did they (via the transitive property of beer) just become Budweiser steins?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

As for me, I am ok keeping it on the tour... hopefully they are still making Uberweiss and some of their other beers. (They also do/did a good barleywine)

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
    TEAM SIGNUPS!! Sign up for your team now! Team Results are posted to the OP.

Props to @Saldek for suggesting this. We're going to split the party into 3 teams of 10. You won't always need your team designation, but when you do, you'll drink dos Equis.

No - wait... that's not right.
    Ahem.

-Each participant will be assigned to a team of 10.
    -Everyone will start the tour with a fixed amount of Gold.
    -It is your job to make sure the other members of your team gain and do not lose gold.
    -Teams may change their team name

-Teams will also be used to split the party into smaller groups when touring tiny breweries.

-There will be Achievements.
    -Achievements will be assigned a Gold value.
    -At the end of the tour, members of the team with the highest combined gold will each get a SchlitzKrieg Tshirt. In the event of a tie, a tiebreaker event will be determined and inflicted at the Coordinator's whim.

TEAMS
    Team Pilsner
    Team Amber
    Team Porter

This discussion has been closed.